Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
The woman at Making A Stink thinks she smells it in everything. Like most stuff on YouTube that channel puts out a lot of misinformation.

I've tried watching two of their videos and found them to be insufferably cringey. Painful - couldn't finish a video.

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
I personally watch their channel and only skip the wine (snob) part. She is interesting to me, since I like artists, and I think she has criteria; we all are mostly blind when talking about that note or the other, even if we have at our disposal several raw materials —and this applies for the vetiver discussion on Ensar’s MO—. As for him, I see him as the kind of person, maybe I’m wrong, who constantly tries to give others the impression that he is so chic, rare and witty (behind a clown [hair]mask, by the way) that almost everything he states sounds weird, forced and over-pronounced.

But both add a very welcome dose of colour and stravaganza to the jungle.

Last edited:

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Well my wife loves Manly (makes sense...it’s called Manly) lol so it’s not the end for me. I’ll just have to convince myself I’m wearing an Amouage instead of ALD.

High Barnet

May 7, 2018
Thanks for your kind words folks.

Do we need a new thread for Chris's utube channel discussion :coolold:

Might need to...Chris, you join the thread just in time to defend the virtues of "Manly" of all things, so I guess you deserve whatever you get! And, what you get seems to alternate between ridicule and adulation, so you might be on the right track. Anyway, I think the key to those YouTube videos is the ridiculousness, humor, and moments of humility (or self-awareness), along with whatever the "content" is, all harder to convey in these threads. Coupling some opinion on our sensitivity (or lack) to synthetics should definitely be prefaced with wine gargling for best response.

We'll all be marveling at some actually great perfume, again, at some point on this thread. We can move everything else over to the "Aton, savant perfumer, well connected dilittante, or CGI?" thread.

pluran

Mar 2, 2006
Manly isn't bad at all, very good in fact, but I'll be glad when he doesn't make another one like it.

Maybe that's premature. Nutmeg, saffron, candle smoke and leather? Perhaps Manly is a natural progression of Comme des Garcons 2 Man, or maybe I just ate the brown acid. Direct and effortless. It's a winner, but the cola could be more animalic.

Last edited:

DonBos

Jul 21, 2016
Man…the reactionaries are doing to the word hipster what they’ve done to “woke” - just using it as a blanket term for anything they don’t like lol. Now maybe if Chris shaved the sides of his head while wearing lumberjack shirts and Chelsea boots…..

Anyway, wore Manly again, and I stand by my assessment. I wish it had a little more contrast, but there’s definitely a demographic that I think it makes sense for. Smells of usual quality that I’ve come to expect, but looking forward to his next collection to see more creativity.

Theholyfilament

Jul 4, 2014
After all the mixed takes I wasn’t even particularly looking forward to getting my 10 ml but I think it’s pretty great actually. Definitely getting the Overture connection, but there’s something else that it reminds me of so much and I can’t place it for the life of me… maybe Aramis Havana for a moment? I really love the mid where it feels almost clove-y and borderline barbershoppy for a second. I wish RA didn’t explicitly call attention to the synthetics because I have to admit it made me me look for it, I don’t know if I would have immediately noticed it otherwise.

As for the YouTuber talk, the making a stink channel is definitely one of the better ones in terms of taste/curation, but they also seem a tad pretentious at points and the woman occasionally leans into self righteousness, notably when the word “oriental” has come up. I still enjoy their reviews on occasion and have made a few solid discoveries through them nonetheless.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
With the new collection focused on Indian perfumery I’m hoping for a fresh composition based around frankincense. Maybe used in a similar way to the fir in SM and RM. Maybe he’ll get creative and do something with soursop.

Paddington

Jun 17, 2021
From what I've seen i don't feel to bad skipping out on manly but hopefully the next collection has somethings that peak my interest, and in regards to the youtubers while they are better then most of the shills on YouTube , some of the unrelated tangents do come across annoying and very Americentric in how they apply.

hopefully we get that Russian oud 2

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
With the new collection focused on Indian perfumery I’m hoping for a fresh composition based around frankincense. Maybe used in a similar way to the fir in SM and RM. Maybe he’ll get creative and do something with soursop.

Have you smelled a lot of Indian perfumery?

Think florals. LOTS of florals. Jasmine, tuberose, rose, Frangipani etc

Imagine LOTS of ambery tones. I’m sure incense will be featured but I’m preparing myself for a floral heavy collection with lots sandalwood. Probably some incensey Shamama based scents too. Heady spices for sure. Tons of patchouli and vetiver.

It’ll be interesting to see his take on Ruh Khus, Ruh Motia, Ruh Gulab, and Shamama. I know he said it’ll be focused on traditional Indian Attars and those are also my favorites. I’m hoping for an Agarwood Assam release done Russian Adam style.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018

Would love that. The frankincense in RM is one of it's most pleasurable aspects imo. And I know Manly has a massive tobacco presence but I've always wanted to see what Adam would do with a tobacco build from the ground up.

Paddington

Jun 17, 2021

Imagine LOTS of ambery tones. I’m sure incense will be featured but I’m preparing myself for a floral heavy collection with lots sandalwood. Probably some incensey Shamama based scents too. Heady spices for sure. Tons of patchouli and vetiver.

It’ll be interesting to see his take on Ruh Khus, Ruh Motia, Ruh Gulab, and Shamama. I know he said it’ll be focused on traditional Indian Attars and those are also my favorites. I’m hoping for an Agarwood Assam release done Russian Adam style.

i do hope he does attars in the next collection but i know there will be a lot of vocal moaners if he did

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

Yes. That’s why I’m hoping for something fresh.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
i do hope he does attars in the next collection but i know there will be a lot of vocal moaners if he did

If the price is low enough - there is a room to make a perfume same way Agar Aura does his. 3 attars to 22.5g alcohol. Bottle up, let it sit for a month and enjoy.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
If the price is low enough - there is a room to make a perfume same way Agar Aura does his. 3 attars to 22.5g alcohol. Bottle up, let it sit for a month and enjoy.

I believe he said we’ll see a $80 perfume? I don’t feel like going back and watching the video. Am I correct on this? I think he said he’ll be releasing the most expensive perfume to date and the cheapest.

D

Deleted member 26340053

I will agree, I’m hugely excited to smell his take on Indian perfumery. Like I said before I’ve been smelling some great Indian incense, but I’m completely ignorant to Indian perfumery. I really hope that saffron tincture plays a bigger role.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
I believe he said we’ll see a $80 perfume? I don’t feel like going back and watching the video. Am I correct on this? I think he said he’ll be releasing the most expensive perfume to date and the cheapest.

He said sub 100, which is rogue perfumery range. That is exceptional price if composition is fairly complex.

We will see

Trever1t

May 12, 2019
Oh man,

I read though some of the posts since Manly was released and all I can say is it's probably his most wearable concoction to date with the possible exception of Chinese Oud. Not nearly as unique as the previous releases but come on, who didn't secretly desire a boozy tobacco leather fragrance from ALD? Here are a couple of my takes graphically.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Boozy tobacco and leather is what i want, but not sweet and smeared with molasses. Raw, non sweet and with accent on leather and tobacco.
I am glad that manly gets love from others :)

Staff online

Latest News