Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

High Barnet

May 7, 2018
Yep, it's a great fragrance (not a masterpiece, IMO, but very good) D&Z have been putting some gems out recently and the pricing is on point.

Ok, maybe I’m getting too hyperbolic, but man, it is really really good, filled with great stuff, and in a huge bottle. All around the same price as a small bottle of a possibly office safe Areej collaboration experiment.

oudaddict

Feb 2, 2017
I'll say this: from what I gathered in talking with people from the Facebook groups it hasn't been sold much in the groups because 1. a lot of people haven't received their bottles and 2. lots of bottles are still available on the site so they'd have to sell a good loss.

I expect a lot of sales in a few weeks.

I've seen a few for sale on Facebook groups and eBay. There will be more soon, guaranteed.

Fragnanimous

Nov 19, 2015
OK, either I'm nuts or all you that dislike it are nuts because I love it! I really do.

It's has moderately strong sillage but I've only been wearing it for 1 hour so I can't say anything about longevity or how it may evolve but overall I'm extremely happy I have it.

It reminds me of another fragrance but I can't put my finger on it yet.

The patchouli really stands out for me since I'm a patchouli fan.

BTW, nothing in common with Anonim series - thank heavens.

Presentation is well done, I like the feel of the bottle too.

Price? Well it can always be better but we have to pay an arm and a leg for all niche/indie fragrances since they are not mass produced and aren't crammed with a lot of man made chemicals to keep the costs down.

I hope more people will come around to enjoying it after a few more wearings, I think it'll be worth it.

OK I figured out what it smells similar to: 1740 Marquis de Sade Histoires de Parfums!

I'm wearing both and deep in the drydown they share similar vibes. This is just my humble opinion of course.

mustardsalad

Jan 27, 2016
Just got my 10mL of Manly and spritzed it own on my wrist.

This is.......hmm. Interesting. Not bad. There's something slightly animal or musky in here, but not overpowering. I detect a hint of praline. There's smoke.

But more than anything, this is the best suede leather note I've smelt besides smelling an actual suede leather jacket. Good impressions so far. Today was a good, cold weather day to experience this.

pete james

May 5, 2018
For sure, getting something from other houses, like PRIN from Thailand, the shipping cost is like $45~50 to the US.

I believe it costs $45 to have a 10ml Manly ship to Australia too, thought i read some complaint about it like few pages back.

Yep..$45USD via DHL Express..BUT a 3 day delivery!! I was happy to pay that to actually get it as I have been waiting over 3 months for various frags shipped via USPS from the States and they have been traveling round the world on some sort of holiday even arriving and then leaving here TWICE! :cry:

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
OK I figured out what it smells similar to: 1740 Marquis de Sade Histoires de Parfums!

I'm wearing both and deep in the drydown they share similar vibes. This is just my humble opinion of course.

Could you compare and contrast the two? I'm also a fan of 1740.

This is.......hmm. Interesting. Not bad. There's something slightly animal or musky in here, but not overpowering. I detect a hint of praline. There's smoke.

But more than anything, this is the best suede leather note I've smelt besides smelling an actual suede leather jacket. Good impressions so far. Today was a good, cold weather day to experience this.

I love suede notes and can't wait to give it a try! Is there anything that you could compare the suede note to? A couple scents I enjoy with a nice suede are Ganymede and Oud Saphir.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018

I can see some similarities, post-opening. Patchouli, mainly, along with the leather. Although 1740 is nuclear, comparatively. And of course that immortelle makes it very different at the onset.

Edit: Smelling the similarities you noticed more and more. Definitely more subdued than 1740, but yup, I think you nailed it.

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
Ok, maybe I’m getting too hyperbolic, but man, it is really really good, filled with great stuff, and in a huge bottle. All around the same price as a small bottle of a possibly office safe Areej collaboration experiment.

I have to agree. May not meet the standards of some but after reading numerous sites trying to gain some direction I have been very pleasantly surprised. I will wear this one with ease anywhere. Six hours in really enjoying this one.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
It's not a bad fragrance at all. It is quite nice, I think people's perceptions are swayed by the untrained brother and the explicit use of synthetics. Manly doesn't smell any more synthetic than any of his other works. He puts cashmeran as a note. It is a very distinct aroma chemical and when it is used in many fragrances it is pushed far forward. It almost has more of a textural feel to it than a smell itself, imo. In Manly I can't detect it personally.

I think most of us in this thread are just very experienced with high quality natural ingredients (especially ALD) and have grown accustomed to not smelling synthetics in general, so when one is used to this extent and is this apparent, it’s going to be magnified to those of us that don’t use synthetics anymore. Has nothing to do with Cashmeran listed as a note. War and Peace II has synthetic civet listed as a note...I’ve never once thought “man W&PII would be great if it weren’t for that synthetic civet”. Or any other synthetic he’s used in the previous compositions, because he uses them properly where they’re not noticed and only do their jobs to support other notes. Hell, W&PII is my favorite composition of all time. Manly is just too sharply synthetic smelling to me. That’s why it smells so much like tons of other synthetic perfumes, candles, shampoos that contain that same dominating synthetic note. I can list some of them so you can compare for yourself. To say it’s because of other factors like being a collaboration is incorrect...at least for most of us in this forum.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
I think most of us in this thread are just very experienced with high quality natural ingredients (especially ALD) and have grown accustomed to not smelling synthetics in general, so when one is used to this extent and is this apparent, it’s going to be magnified to those of us that don’t use synthetics anymore. Has nothing to do with Cashmeran listed as a note. War and Peace II has synthetic civet listed as a note...I’ve never once thought “man W&PII would be great if it weren’t for that synthetic civet”. Or any other synthetic he’s used in the previous compositions, because he uses them properly where they’re not noticed and only do their jobs to support other notes. Hell, W&PII is my favorite composition of all time. Manly is just too sharply synthetic smelling to me. That’s why it smells so much like tons of other synthetic perfumes, candles, shampoos that contain that same dominating synthetic note. I can list some of them so you can compare for yourself. To say it’s because of other factors like being a collaboration is incorrect...at least for most of us in this forum.

Gonna have to disagree on the last point, D. There were a LOT of disparaging remarks about the collaboration when it was revealed it was his brother.

The rest may be correct. My nose isn't good enough to tell the difference.

Fragnanimous

Nov 19, 2015
I can see some similarities, post-opening. Patchouli, mainly, along with the leather. Although 1740 is nuclear, comparatively. And of course that immortelle makes it very different at the onset.

Edit: Smelling the similarities you noticed more and more. Definitely more subdued than 1740, but yup, I think you nailed it.

4-5 hours into the drydown and I barely tell any difference between the two! But as you stated, the opening is very different. I only have a few ml of 1740 left so Manly will fill the spot.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
4-5 hours into the drydown and I barely tell any difference between the two! But as you stated, the opening is very different. I only have a few ml of 1740 left so Manly will fill the spot.

Same here! I've been trying to find a second hand 15ml bottle (who is using up the huge bottles of that stuff!?), but Manly may be my replacement for it as well.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Gonna have to disagree on the last point, D. There were a LOT of disparaging remarks about the collaboration when it was revealed it was his brother.

Of course there was. It implies that someone with no experience will be fiddling with materials which will become an ALD. Imagine if Michael let Latoya write an album with him...probably wouldn’t be as good. BUT...that’s before the release, the end product doesn’t care who wrote it (or blended in our case).

So I guess it really comes down to one thing....there are people who form their own conclusions based on real world assessments (using their nose) and others who form artificial opinions based on tidbits of information surrounding the perfume which is inconsequential to the actual smell and composition/final end product, they had their minds made up before smelling it which is irrational and based on preconceived notions. I’m not sure why the latter would even be considered in discussion as they would be irrelevant to pool information from.

The rest may be correct. My nose isn't good enough to tell the difference.

Nonsense. Your nose is fine. We all pick up and focus on different aspects in a composition. My disdain for this release shouldn’t have any bearing on whether or not someone else likes it. We all have our own subjective preferences.

Edit: Also, just to be clear...it’s really only that one note I dislike about this composition, not the whole thing. I dig the boozy raisin and loooove the Hindi Oud I get in the opening.

D

Deleted member 26340053

You smell a lot more synthetics than you probably realize. Many aren’t notes, they have little smell themselves, but are rather functional. The collaboration has got into people’s heads.

D

Deleted member 26340053

Of course there was. It implies that someone with no experience will be fiddling with materials which will become an ALD. Imagine if Michael let Latoya write an album with him...probably wouldn’t be as good. BUT...that’s before the release, the end product doesn’t care who wrote it (or blended in our case).

So I guess it really comes down to one thing....there are people who form their own conclusions based on real world assessments (using their nose) and others who form artificial opinions based on tidbits of information surrounding the perfume which is inconsequential to the actual smell and composition/final end product, they had their minds made up before smelling it
Nobody has. It is impossible to be unbiased, but the bias in relation to this fragrance is palpable.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
You smell a lot more synthetics than you probably realize. Many aren’t notes, they have little smell themselves, but are rather functional. The collaboration has got into people’s heads.
Synthetics most definitely have a smell, go use some soap or shampoo, light a candle, use a cleaning product, hang an air freshener in your car. Those are what synthetic smells...smell like.

Nobody has. It is impossible to be unbiased, but the bias in relation to this fragrance is palpable.

Speak for yourself. RA collaborating with his brother does not make the perfume smell different. Neither does the fact that a synthetic was used (he uses synthetics in a lot of stuff), but not to the extent to where it smells bad. Again, W&PII. You are not making any logical points here. You are basing everyone else off of your own bias.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020

Welcome to the ALD discussion Chris!

By the way I’m a huge fan of yours. In many ways you’re one of my favorite noses in perfumery and I’m glad you’re contributing such a well thought out and experienced opinion to this group.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Yep..$45USD via DHL Express..BUT a 3 day delivery!! I was happy to pay that to actually get it as I have been waiting over 3 months for various frags shipped via USPS from the States and they have been traveling round the world on some sort of holiday even arriving and then leaving here TWICE! :cry:

Man that's no good, sorry to hear.

The suede leather is the very thing I picked up on first wearing as well, the leather note is pleasant and not pungent or overpowering either, adds a nice touch to the boozy note, love the opening, the drydown is also quite nice, overall this is an easy to wear scent. I'm just glad he didn't put any ISO-E/ambroxan in this Manly, that would have killed it for me. lol

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I missed Chinese Oud. Now I really am going to find a few ml...hopefully lol.

I see them popping up for sale on FB and on ebay every now and then, but the price is quite high. Too bad you didn't like the Manly bro, I couldn't pick up anything overly synthetic, maybe try to layer it with W&P2 or other ALD stuff to see if it's more wearable?

mustardsalad

Jan 27, 2016
Not at all. He is making ridiculous claims about the reasons why people don’t like Manly (as if he knows), projecting his own bias on others. It’s laughable.

Not to mention the coordinated attack he did on what was one of my favorite fragrance subreddits that provided valuable insight into who was getting paid what to dishonestly "review" fragrances on YouTube, despite the sometimes tacky posts that were on there - even threatening to go after Stargazerlily425's employer out of a petty need for revenge. Sorry, no, I don't like the guy. MODS: Don't worry, I won't engage in this subject any more.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Not to mention the coordinated attack he did on what was one of my favorite fragrance subreddits that provided valuable insight into who was getting paid what to dishonestly "review" fragrances on YouTube, despite the sometimes tacky posts that were on there - even threatening to go after Stargazerlily425's employer out of a petty need for revenge. Sorry, no, I don't like the guy. MODS: Don't worry, I won't engage in this subject any more.

Ahhh, gotchya. Duly noted thanks!

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
I haven’t seen that yet lol.

I haven’t seen anything harsh or unthoughtful brother. I think he’s speaking the truth. I find most ALD fragrances to be excellent examples of mixed media perfumes but never have I thought any of them smelled all natural. Or even of the highest quality materials. They’re not supposed to be but what they are to me are excellent compositions made by an excellent perfumer pushing boundaries. But I do feel that folks perceptions are easily swayed here and I do find it fascinating that many folks feel ALD is ultra-lux all natural perfumery.

For instance I felt Russian Oud has a strong synthetic presence. It’s highly touted as Russian Adam’s best by many but I can’t get over the plastic synthetic drydown.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Synthetics most definitely have a smell, go use some soap or shampoo, light a candle, use a cleaning product, hang an air freshener in your car. Those are what synthetic smells...smell like.

Speak for yourself. RA collaborating with his brother does not make the perfume smell different. Neither does the fact that a synthetic was used (he uses synthetics in a lot of stuff), but not to the extent to where it smells bad. Again, W&PII. You are not making any logical points here. You are basing everyone else off of your own bias.

Also to your point here a HUGE selection of synthetics act as simple fixatives that don’t do anything to change the scent. This is what he’s saying. Take a look at any perfume supply house and you’ll see a long list of synthetic aroma chemicals that are designed to extend top notes, brighten base notes, extend mid notes etc but not impart any sort of aroma. A better space to look is our own DIY section of basenotes.

A lot of what Russian Adam uses are synthetic fixatives used for performance. Many and I mean MANY synthetics have no discernible smell so you won’t notice the smell but rather the performance. Or instead of scent you might smell a texture. Synthetics are beautiful that way. It’s why Adam uses them.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
I haven’t seen anything harsh or unthoughtful brother. I think he’s speaking the truth. I find most ALD fragrances to be excellent examples of mixed media perfumes but never have I thought any of them smelled all natural. Or even of the highest quality materials. They’re not supposed to be but what they are to me are excellent compositions made by an excellent perfumer pushing boundaries. But I do feel that folks perceptions are easily swayed here and I do find it fascinating that many folks feel ALD is ultra-lux all natural perfumery.

For instance I felt Russian Oud has a strong synthetic presence. It’s highly touted as Russian Adam’s best by many but I can’t get over the plastic synthetic drydown.

Never smelled it. But I do know that none of the ALDs that I like smell offputting due to soaring synthetic notes. Take Musk Lave for instance, absolute best quality and presentation of Bergamot in the world. Lol prove me wrong. I’m sure there are synthetics in there, but you can’t smell them, they don’t stand out, they don’t take away from the beauty of the natural ingredients. I feel like I just keep repeating myself and explaining the same thing that some are not grasping so I’ll just leave it at that.

Speaking of Russian Oud... he is remaking it. Russian Oud II. I hope eventually Musk Lave gets a pt II

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Never smelled it. But I do know that none of the ALDs that I like smell offputting due to soaring synthetic notes. Take Musk Lave for instance, absolute best quality and presentation of Bergamot in the world. Lol prove me wrong. I’m sure there are synthetics in there, but you can’t smell them, they don’t stand out, they don’t take away from the beauty of the natural ingredients. I feel like I just keep repeating myself and explaining the same thing that some are not grasping so I’ll just leave it at that.

Speaking of Russian Oud... he is remaking it. Russian Oud II. I hope eventually Musk Lave gets a pt II

To my nose I picked up synthetic musks boosting the actual musk. You can smell it in the drydown. I would imagine they’re what’s called “nitromusks” and those same aromachemicals are used in most of his musk scents. The perception that synthetic materials smell off putting is what chris is talking about when he says it’s messing with folks opinion of the scent.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Also to your point here a HUGE selection of synthetics act as simple fixatives that don’t do anything to change the scent. This is what he’s saying. Take a look at any perfume supply house and you’ll see a long list of synthetic aroma chemicals that are designed to extend top notes, brighten base notes, extend mid notes etc but not impart any sort of aroma. A better space to look is our own DIY section of basenotes.

A lot of what Russian Adam uses are synthetic fixatives used for performance. Many and I mean MANY synthetics have no discernible smell so you won’t notice the smell but rather the performance. Or instead of scent you might smell a texture. Synthetics are beautiful that way. It’s why Adam uses them.

I will clarify once again...but last time because it’s getting repetitive lol. I do not care about synthetics that you can’t smell...or that you can smell as long as they don’t smell obviously synthetic and take away from the good ingredients used. My issue with Manly is the SMELL of the synthetic ingredient that I can SMELL in the composition. It ruins it for me. The SMELL.....nothing else....just the SMELL. lol seriously c’mon

oudaddict

Feb 2, 2017
Man, I could not care less about the collaboration (Koh-i-Noor was a collab) or the use of synthetics (Adam has always used them since day 1!) I just feel that Manly is a mediocre fragrance (too similar to what can be found in the mainstream) in relation to the price we are paying and expectations we have from ALD and niche perfumery in general, it's an "okay" fragrance, not bad, but personally, I only keep bangers!

Chaileeto

Jul 26, 2021
What really surprises me, is the fact that I ordered manly(10ml) 13 days ago and paid 20$ for postage...while today I received a notification that it will be sent within national post and they send it as a mailbox/letterbox package wich would cost around $2 or $3 for national packages. The postage costs are very extreme to my opinion. Damn. Ok frustration mode off.

DonBos

Jul 21, 2016
Just got mine.

It’s….ok. I think it smells of quality, it’s just missing something. I feel like, from a marketing standpoint, this is similar to what Bortnikoff did with San Fluers. Let’s appeal to those who don’t want anything “girly”, which in my opinion is restricting what could have been.

10 ml is perfect for me, glad he offered that. This is like a nicer alternative to polo green for my collection

D

Deleted member 26340053

You have it completely wrong, but yeah drop it.

D

Deleted member 26340053

I will clarify once again...but last time because it’s getting repetitive lol. I do not care about synthetics that you can’t smell...or that you can smell as long as they don’t smell obviously synthetic and take away from the good ingredients used. My issue with Manly is the SMELL of the synthetic ingredient that I can SMELL in the composition. It ruins it for me. The SMELL.....nothing else....just the SMELL. lol seriously c’mon

:lolk:

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
Yeah, I think I paid like $65 for shipping from Hiram Green. Made sense still because of a sale.

Now he has free worldwide shipping of over 40 euros.
Indigo Perfumery carries Hiram Green.
They do have 20% Off sales from time to time too.
Also, I think Ave Parfums carries his work.
They also have 20% off sales.
Maybe a click and sign up for the emails.
The season is approaching Chris.

Staff online

Latest News