Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Did you just use "Chinese Oud" and "decent" in the same sentence??

Dude Chinese Oud is frickin' BRILLIANT. Rapidly rising to the top of my all-time favorite ALD list. Easily top 5 for me. Stellar scent, shocked that you have not put your nose on it.

Oh, and Chinese Oud is also my most complimented ALD - it almost never fails to garner positive reactions from the general public when I wear it, and I usually don't get any sort of feedback while wearing Areej.

I missed Chinese Oud. Now I really am going to find a few ml...hopefully lol.

sproaty

Feb 23, 2017
Trying Manly for the first time today - not too impressed really. Doesn't feel right in the ALD style. Slight booziness and an airy aspect at first whiff, quite ethereal without any deep/dark thing going on. Been about ~5 hours on skin and smelling my inner elbow where I'd sprayed it seems really faint. Not sure what I'm picking up on the drydown, but a decent smell - not really what I'd expect from the brand

also am a bit miffed at spending $15 (~£11) on shipping and they sending it at a service that costs 65% of that. Why am I paying that extra?

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
Trying Manly for the first time today - not too impressed really. Doesn't feel right in the ALD style. Slight booziness and an airy aspect at first whiff, quite ethereal without any deep/dark thing going on. Been about ~5 hours on skin and smelling my inner elbow where I'd sprayed it seems really faint. Not sure what I'm picking up on the drydown, but a decent smell - not really what I'd expect from the brand

also am a bit miffed at spending $15 (~£11) on shipping and they sending it at a service that costs 65% of that. Why am I paying that extra?

$15 is a steal here.

D

Deleted member 26340053

Adam has said that the next collection will feature some single note fragrances. He also expressed that he is experimenting with Indian style fragrances. I have a feeling his saffron tincture used in Manly is going to be more prominently featured and may even be one of the single note fragrances. He also stated that some of the fragrances will be "very" affordable, and I think one "quite expensive". I'm wondering if Manly was a way to test some of the waters with the spice angle as well as the Indian oud. I am not experienced enough with Indian attars, or ouds, but I did get some Indian incense under my nose recently. Some very distinct smells. Very different than the Japanese stuff. They all have a quite dark, muddy kind of note that lingers on for days that I don't really have the words to properly describe.

D

Deleted member 26340053

It's not a bad fragrance at all. It is quite nice, I think people's perceptions are swayed by the untrained brother and the explicit use of synthetics. Manly doesn't smell any more synthetic than any of his other works. He puts cashmeran as a note. It is a very distinct aroma chemical and when it is used in many fragrances it is pushed far forward. It almost has more of a textural feel to it than a smell itself, imo. In Manly I can't detect it personally.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
Based on what I'm reading here, I'm more than likely just to send mine right back without opening the box. The bandwagon is pushing me away from it. :)

I'd rather put the money towards Russian Oud II or the next collection.

Can you do that!?
And.... is it okay to do that? I would imagine so considering that you've paid for shipping out of your own pocket.

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
Can you do that!?
And.... is it okay to do that? I would imagine so considering that you've paid for shipping out of your own pocket.

Does he have a no return policy? I can understand if I opened the package and sprayed the bottle, but I haven't even opened the shipping box. I assume I would just tell them I want to return it and pay to ship it back (with a new label pasted on top of the old one).

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
169 bottles of MANLY 30ml left btw. It looks like new orders have stopped coming in for the most part. My prediction is that it'll stay in stock for some time. Possibly even past the release of the 7th collection.

mustardsalad

Jan 27, 2016
169 bottles of MANLY 30ml left btw. It looks like new orders have stopped coming in for the most part. My prediction is that it'll stay in stock for some time. Possibly even past the release of the 7th collection.

I'm actually glad though, because if I end up liking the 10mL that's due to arrive today, I'll be able to get a 30mL. But I wanted to try the 10mL first before blind buying a 30mL.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
YEda0Lz XyDV2CuCgkS7U2qrMi8 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

mustardsalad

Jan 27, 2016
^ Not surprised at all. Ensar Oud's the same thing. These niche fragrance houses likely can't operate like fragrancex and fragrancenet can. It's a whole different market.

D

Deleted member 26340053

Yeah, I think I paid like $65 for shipping from Hiram Green. Made sense still because of a sale.

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
I'm pretty amazed that more and more free shipping deals are cropping up for stuff shipped from Europe. I believe my orders from Bloom and Oriza Legrand were both free shipping (tied to special offers).

That's also been the case with some clothing we've recently ordered from European websites... either free shipping or cost similar to shipping in US.

High Barnet

May 7, 2018

Shipping and handling is a real cost...the work involved costs something, not just the postage on the label, and we are all paying for it either separately or built into the price of whatever we buy. And, in this case (and thankfully!) Areej first ships a bunch (at a cost!) to distribution folks in different parts of the world, and then these folks (at a cost, not as devotional disciples volunteering for Areej) ship them out to you and me. I'd say that, myself, I'm thankful not to be paying $45 for shipping from Thailand to the USA, anymore!

Anyway, I sat this one out, I guess for several reasons. I though the name was ridiculous and embarrassing for RA (and this coming from a fan of Jovan's "Sex Appeal" - but, I guess that's because it originated in the 70's and I'm suckered in by my own nostalgia in that specific case - and the juice is really good~!). A collaboration with a new, mysterious, half brother - meh. I'm also not into buying just whatever this guy makes! I've been in from early on, and have lots of incredible Areej fragrances...do I need or want one that falls below the others in my estimation...definitely not. This one didn't sound up to par to me, at least. Lastly, he's charging (even at this lower Areej end) over $7 a ml! That is a lot! Think of the vintage perfumes you can buy $2-$3 a ml!!! Come on! Is Manly worth two or three or four times what Un Homme by Charles Jourdan (incredible!), or vintage Bel Ami, or Knize, or Guerlain Derby!, or you know, we could all go on and on...$7 a ml is real expensive juice, and to use that $ on a one off collaboration with a half brother called "Manly" just seems silly to me.

But, I know, that's just my own silly logic and jeeze, all these $ for fragrances (especially when our closets are full!) is just ridiculous anyway.

PS Russian Adam, I still love you, and thank the heavens you exist, regularly.

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
Just spritzed Manly on a hour ago and so far so good not heavy like any Amouage that I have experienced. I really like the opening everything is defined and not a mixed mess. It does depart from previously releases in the fact it isn't thick and bold. The spices seems well blended. Very promising indeed. Should be very office friendly which is the reason I ponied up for two 10ml for work and home.

Fragnanimous

Nov 19, 2015
OK, either I'm nuts or all you that dislike it are nuts because I love it! I really do.

It's has moderately strong sillage but I've only been wearing it for 1 hour so I can't say anything about longevity or how it may evolve but overall I'm extremely happy I have it.

It reminds me of another fragrance but I can't put my finger on it yet.

The patchouli really stands out for me since I'm a patchouli fan.

BTW, nothing in common with Anonim series - thank heavens.

Presentation is well done, I like the feel of the bottle too.

Price? Well it can always be better but we have to pay an arm and a leg for all niche/indie fragrances since they are not mass produced and aren't crammed with a lot of man made chemicals to keep the costs down.

I hope more people will come around to enjoying it after a few more wearings, I think it'll be worth it.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
OK, either I'm nuts or all you that dislike it are nuts because I love it! I really do.

It's has moderately strong sillage but I've only been wearing it for 1 hour so I can't say anything about longevity or how it may evolve but overall I'm extremely happy I have it.

It reminds me of another fragrance but I can't put my finger on it yet.

The patchouli really stands out for me since I'm a patchouli fan.

BTW, nothing in common with Anonim series - thank heavens.

Presentation is well done, I like the feel of the bottle too.

Price? Well it can always be better but we have to pay an arm and a leg for all niche/indie fragrances since they are not mass produced and aren't crammed with a lot of man made chemicals to keep the costs down.

I hope more people will come around to enjoying it after a few more wearings, I think it'll be worth it.

Thanks for chiming in. Was supposed to get my bottle yesterday but it's been rescheduled for today.

Fwiw, I didn't hate the Anonim stuff. Some days I actually quite like them all. I just brought them up because no matter what, they aren't in the same league as any of the perfumes that have come out under the ALD banner.

Another fwiw, remember that Manly isn't Adam's first collab. Koh-i-Noor was one he did with Nikhil from Exotic Scents.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
Just got mine delivered.

A quick spray on the back of the hand.

Definitely not as "big" as a typical ALD.

I 100% smell what I equate to leather. It actually reminds me of an old Scratch N' Sniff leather sticker I had as a small child. This is smoother version of what I remember as a kid. It is *sort of* a facsimile of a western gear store (belts, boots) but not quite, to borrow a phrase from Dothraki, "photorealistic".

Dark pit fruit is present and I am getting wafts of it from time to time. Maybe some slight booze to start, but not much and not for long. Very light on that front compared to say...Baque (which begins its day drunk and finishes it smoking).

Not sure if I'll get any additional changes here. I like it, but I'm gonna have to sit with it more this weekend to see if it's a keeper for me. I'm unclear whether the leather (ahhhhh yeah!) is something I want to smell like with regularity. Although I'll say that, for me, it satisfies a "close enough" to real leather that I've experienced (vintage cars, cowboy boots, the leather district in Bogota) compared to many other supposedly great leather fragrances that bury the scent with flowers or dip it in petrol. I love the smell of race fuel, but I don't like to wear it (though I have a few times).

Anyway, I digress.

I will try to update my impressions throughout the weekend in the hopes someone might find it helpful.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
Apparently, MANLY has been pretty welled received because I haven't seen a single bottle pop up in the marketplace.

Thats how I judge it too. Immediately after the classic release, bottles of OE III and Russian Musk were available on our Marketplace as well as the Facebook group. I have yet to see a single bottle of Manly for sale though.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
Thanks for chiming in. Was supposed to get my bottle yesterday but it's been rescheduled for today.

Fwiw, I didn't hate the Anonim stuff. Some days I actually quite like them all. I just brought them up because no matter what, they aren't in the same league as any of the perfumes that have come out under the ALD banner.

Another fwiw, remember that Manly isn't Adam's first collab. Koh-i-Noor was one he did with Nikhil from Exotic Scents.

And with Dmitri Bortnikoff on Feel Oud offerings, but I suppose not with the ALD brand.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
Thats how I judge it too. Immediately after the classic release, bottles of OE III and Russian Musk were available on our Marketplace as well as the Facebook group. I have yet to see a single bottle of Manly for sale though.

I see this the opposite way. How fast can I flip it at a profit after it's sold out?

Uh oh...

But who knows. I'm sure they'll appear as we move forward.

You also have to admit you are no longer Manly if you sell.

brothernature

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 22, 2020

I'll say this: from what I gathered in talking with people from the Facebook groups it hasn't been sold much in the groups because 1. a lot of people haven't received their bottles and 2. lots of bottles are still available on the site so they'd have to sell a good loss.

I expect a lot of sales in a few weeks.

High Barnet

May 7, 2018

That's because 1) people bought all three classics together, prior to single bottle release, and preferred one or two over others, and 2) they were quickly sold out. Manly is not sold out (30ml still available). Assuredly, there will be bottles available for re-sale. Anyway, I judge it by the actual responses: a mixed-bag, some like it, some do not.

High Barnet

May 7, 2018

Koh-i-Noor.
An absolute masterpiece, even better today than the momentous day it was born.
And Nikhil, come on, if that guy conceives of his own bespoke fragrance fantasy, as realized by Russian Adam, that is something to pay attention to...that is a whole other level, as they say.

Latest News