Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
The making a stink folks on YouTube said there’s a synthetic leather aromamecule called QBC or something like that? I don’t know the exact name but it’s in pretty much every synthetic leather fragrance so I’m guessing that note that everyone is connecting with is most likely that synthetic material. I’m sure someone on here will know the exact name for it.

Interesting. I’ll have to go check them out and look up that ingredient, I’m not familiar with it (at least by name) but I think I’ve smelled it in a couple Chanel’s and YSL, along with a couple Amouage.

For me this is where it is a problem, it is ALD but not comparable to any other ALD (even the ones I don't like, in terms of quality). It is at an ALD price but most people here are comparing it (in some cases unfavorably) to synthetic perfumes that are 1/3 or 1/4 the price. I think it was a mistake to market this as ALD.

Exactly! Shouldn’t have been priced this high either. If he did throw in some high quality expensive ingredients I feel it was a big waste of those materials. I wouldn’t buy Manly even for half the cost though. Ive never felt like this for any other ALD either. I don’t like Baikal Gris but would trade 100ml of Manly for 1ml of BG. Because in BG I can appreciate the quality and also the artistic vision.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
I will be fair and say the opening of Manly good and interesting...but it just doesn’t last long at all. I think I’m getting a really nice animalic almost slightly fecal Oud but it disappears pretty quick.

pluran

Mar 2, 2006
The making a stink folks on YouTube said there’s a synthetic leather aromamecule called QBC or something like that? I don’t know the exact name but it’s in pretty much every synthetic leather fragrance so I’m guessing that note that everyone is connecting with is most likely that synthetic material. I’m sure someone on here will know the exact name for it.

Russian Adam must be pulling his hair out reading this thread.

Among other things -

https://www.chemistryviews.org/details/ezine/3817391/A_Fragrance_That_Breaks_the_Rules.html

“Currently, there is no synthetic vetiver perfumery material available commercially. This lack of availability is partially due to the complex sesquiterpene nature of its constituents, and partially due to the lack of consensus as to which constituents contribute to its characteristic odor.”

IBQ (not QBC) - Isobutyl Quinoline is a classic fixative that some people love and others don’t. The woman at Making A Stink thinks she smells it in everything. Like most stuff on YouTube that channel puts out a lot of misinformation.

It's often impossible to know what ingredients are responsible for a certain smell. Even if the fragrance is mostly natural you might think it smells synthetic.

Fragnanimous

Nov 19, 2015
So just to throw some more wood on the fire, how many of you who have Manly have also tried the Anonim line? Many have been convinced that Adam was involved in, if not THE perfumer for those releases... do you sniff any similarities between Manly and black, silver or gold?

Interesting - I sold that line and it was a dud. I still have all three so I can't wait to compare. I should have Manly tomorrow.

oudaddict

Feb 2, 2017
As for your experience with longevity and projection - most (if not all) ALDs do not start off with beastly performance right out of the gate. BUT, almost all of them DO become very strong scents after a few weeks of maceration/maturation/oxygenation. I would be very surprised if this was not the case with Manly (although two sprays was enough for me to sample it all afternoon, so I certainly wouldn't call it "weak")

I have to disagree here. Many of them were beastly to begin with for example W&P, the original OE, Antiquity and others. There are some that have definitely improved with maturation (Siberian Summer and Koh-i-Noor are good examples) and others that have shown little, if any improvement e.g. OE3, Plumeria de Orris, Russian Oud, Russian Musk 1 & 2 (none of these are what I would class as "beastly" despite having sufficient longevity). I don't know what will happen with Manly but I can't see it becoming a beast.

WharfRat

Feb 7, 2020
Got my Manly (lol) yesterday. I'm also wondering about the "sharp green note" that predominates, for me, about 20 mins in. If I'm smelling the same thing as others, it occurs almost piney and alternately kind of soapy in a way? For me, I wonder if it's not the cashmeran playing off of tobacco and probably some tabanon? I also wonder if some of the sharp soapy smoky thing might not be coming from something like black cardamom (which I suspect is the spice behind a similar note I get in some Indian and Nepalese foods and can't decide if I like or not). I don't find it altogether unpleasant as some do, though it does come across as distinctly "manly" (lol) like how an oldschool barber's hands might smell as he gives a no-frills 15 dollar haircut.

I do get the saffron, but zero leather.

I like the scent on first impressions, but like some others also think it may be pushing it on the value front. If that opening extended and overlapped the middle a bit more, I'd like it even more. What's left on my skin this morning is a perfectly "nice" warm vanilla/patchouli kind of thing.

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
I'm certainly getting sandalwood today.
This is the first spray from my bottle of Manly.
This is only from one spray on my right wrist.
I also noticed the oakmoss today, along with the spices, and as someone suggested, a dried fruit date or raisin

I noticed more of the oud when I wore three sprayings with added applications times the other day on my right wrist.
Not that it was needed, but that's what I did.
I did notice the oud from the bottle, but from strifeknot's 5ml decant and added applications, the oud had a pulpy woodyness.

Today though, with one spray, I'm really noticing the sandalwood.
I also noticed the suede Interlude comparison.
As for other comparisons, there was a spot after the opening when the spices might have some people comparing it to other perfumes.

On the boozy part, well it's hard for me to notice those likeness's, for I was a cheap whiskey and a PBR type of guy.
When I used to drink, I didn't do it for the complexity of the liquours, I drank to get OZZYfied.
Unfortunately, I achieved some of those wants.
SHARON

Yes, right now, sandalwood, some oakmoss etc.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I didn’t get any boozyness or sandalwood or saffron...I’ll look again for the patchouli but I think it was overpowered by the synthetic vetiver (or what I’m calling synth vetiver anyway) but I will give it time and check it out some more.

I didn't get any sandalwood or saffron either, but plenty of booze every single time in the opening though.

WharfRat

Feb 7, 2020
I didn't get any sandalwood or saffron either, but plenty of booze every single time in the opening though.

Funny thing with the saffron for me is, while it's listed as a middle note, it's one of the first things that hit my nose and really only hangs around about as long as the "booze." I think it plays so well with the opening accord that it's maybe difficult to pick out, and it certainly doesn't appear for me in the middle.

oudaddict

Feb 2, 2017
I can't wait to see what Wafts from the Lofts say about Manly, it's quite similar to the perfume they made with Sarah McCartney of 4160 Tuesdays.

brothernature

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 22, 2020
I pretty much know at first try if I am going to like/love/hate a fragrance and this is the only ALD that I am so doleful about.

I adore the first three collections and at least like the rest of the catalog, but this one is rough. I'll let it sit and revisit in a few months.

D

Deleted member 26340053

Russian Adam must be pulling his hair out reading this thread.

Among other things -

https://www.chemistryviews.org/details/ezine/3817391/A_Fragrance_That_Breaks_the_Rules.html

“Currently, there is no synthetic vetiver perfumery material available commercially. This lack of availability is partially due to the complex sesquiterpene nature of its constituents, and partially due to the lack of consensus as to which constituents contribute to its characteristic odor.”

IBQ (not QBC) - Isobutyl Quinoline is a classic fixative that some people love and others don’t. The woman at Making A Stink thinks she smells it in everything. Like most stuff on YouTube that channel puts out a lot of misinformation.

It's often impossible to know what ingredients are responsible for a certain smell. Even if the fragrance is mostly natural you might think it smells synthetic.

I'm the man from that channel. First post on basenotes! Hello everybody! Camille does smell it in a lot of things because it is notoriously in a lot of things. I was actually the first one to notice it here. We have hundreds of raw materials at our disposal so smelling them aside a fragrance helps. The IBQ is prominent here, it is green, but also boozy so it works well. It is a common ingredient in Cabochard, Yatagan, Bandit and many other classics. Smell it in isolation and it is unmistakable in fragrance. Camille is more astute than I as she is a student of perfumery. I disagree we put out misinformation, we just talk about what our noses pick up and if we are blatantly wrong about things we try to fix it, or it is inadvertent. We try our best to avoid misinformation.

I know everybody is on the Manly bandwagon, but I just got my hands on some Cuir de Russie. Damn it is fantastic. It reminds me of War & Peace, Musk Lave, and Vol de Nuit all wrapped up into one.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
I'm the man from that channel. First post on basenotes! Hello everybody! Camille does smell it in a lot of things because it is notoriously in a lot of things. I was actually the first one to notice it here. We have hundreds of raw materials at our disposal so smelling them aside a fragrance helps. The IBQ is prominent here, it is green, but also boozy so it works well. It is a common ingredient in Cabochard, Yatagan, Bandit and many other classics. Smell it in isolation and it is unmistakable in fragrance. Camille is more astute than I as she is a student of perfumery. I disagree we put out misinformation, we just talk about what our noses pick up and if we are blatantly wrong about things we try to fix it, or it is inadvertent. We try our best to avoid misinformation.

I know everybody is on the Manly bandwagon, but I just got my hands on some Cuir de Russie. Damn it is fantastic. It reminds me of War & Peace, Musk Lave, and Vol de Nuit all wrapped up into one.

Welcome to Basenotes! Yes, CdR is awesome and lasts for weeks on clothes lol. Great stuff.

D

Deleted member 26340053

I sprayed CdR on a strip over my coffee table and despite getting rid of the strip I kept smelling it and couldn’t figure it out. Some remnants got in the table that were filling the room for a few days. Wild.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
I sprayed CdR on a strip over my coffee table and despite getting rid of the strip I kept smelling it and couldn’t figure it out. Some remnants got in the table that were filling the room for a few days. Wild.

That’s why I sold my CdR bottle. I loved the scent but I’d never get it out of clothing. And considering that it does stain clothing and I’d be unable to safely wear it in skin, it kinda makes it unwearable for me.

D

Deleted member 26340053

I think it’s a great fragrance to keep on your person. If you come across anybody you don’t like you can spray it on them. They may like it, but there’s that chance of mutation that might give them cancer 30 years down the road. If not they’ve got to live with the smell for the rest of time.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
I think it’s a great fragrance to keep on your person. If you come across anybody you don’t like you can spray it on them. They may like it, but there’s that chance of mutation that might give them cancer 30 years down the road. If not they’ve got to live with the smell for the rest of time.

Brutal! I kinda like this guy lol

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
I wanted to give a 3rd wearing of Manly today but just didn’t have any desire to. Twice was enough for me...maybe swap it for a Chinese Oud sample. I’m sure that one was probably decent.

toonces

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 1, 2020

LOL this review is a little macabre, but given Luca’s departure from Basenotes, I’ll take it!

D

Deleted member 26340053

Didn’t know he was on here. If I’d have known I would have joined sooner and kissed his butt a lil.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
I wanted to give a 3rd wearing of Manly today but just didn’t have any desire to. Twice was enough for me...maybe swap it for a Chinese Oud sample. I’m sure that one was probably decent.

Did you just use "Chinese Oud" and "decent" in the same sentence??

Dude Chinese Oud is frickin' BRILLIANT. Rapidly rising to the top of my all-time favorite ALD list. Easily top 5 for me. Stellar scent, shocked that you have not put your nose on it.

Oh, and Chinese Oud is also my most complimented ALD - it almost never fails to garner positive reactions from the general public when I wear it, and I usually don't get any sort of feedback while wearing Areej.

AZsmells

Jul 11, 2004
I got my Manly order today and based on the reviews I wasn't expecting much. I love pretty much everything Areej puts out. I have to say I do like this one but not even in my top 10 of Areej for creativity. It isn't edgy or mind blowing like some of his fragrances. It is probably the safest for work fragrance Adam has put out. Maybe a little boring for some. Woody and manly. A good daily fragrance. I don't want this to be the new norm for Areej but as a one off I am fine with it.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I got my Manly order today and based on the reviews I wasn't expecting much. I love pretty much everything Areej puts out. I have to say I do like this one but not even in my top 10 of Areej for creativity. It isn't edgy or mind blowing like some of his fragrances. It is probably the safest for work fragrance Adam has put out. Maybe a little boring for some. Woody and manly. A good daily fragrance. I don't want this to be the new norm for Areej but as a one off I am fine with it.

I agree.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018

This actually sounds pretty nice and TBH, not too far off of my expectations.

Staff online

Latest News