Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
Grandenia and Agar de Noir from the recent collection might be more readily available than Santal Galore and Musk Lave... I love both of the former myself. Russian Musk II was the last available from the new classic collection, so maybe not as much in demand as Ottoman Empire III and Oud Zhen, and that one is incredible.

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
Received my Manly from Areej & Strifeknot.
It's a very easy for the masses perfume.
With that said, I'll be bringing it to work, as well as other places to let people try it and see what they think of it.
Myself, I like it.
I like the oud in the opening, as well as the far drydown.
I applied three applications at different times starting at 7Pm last night.
The last spray was around 11pm.
It is now noon, and I can still smell it.
The oud and how it's used does remind me of an Amouage, but it's not Interlude.
I have a pocket perfume from Amouage that's called Amber.
This was before a couple of the changeovers at Amouage and when they had a different market manager.
The composition was around or before 2010.
There's like this pulpy aspect to Manly in the very late stages that is akin to Amber.
They're not alike, but the oud characteristic has similarities.
There's another that has that characteristic that I received from Agar Aura , Cuir.
It was an attar.
Cuir's leather characteristic was a bit rough, and certainly not like Manly or something like Interlude.
Manly's leather is more of a suede, where Interlude has a smooth infused suede that's blended to be part of a whole,
and not so much its parts.
Right now there's a spice inside of the wood in Manly. I like that.
Very natural.

I have not sampled Escada's Pour Homme, Hopefully, sometime I will.
I did check the prices on it, whoa. Those are Roja prices.
I do like Manly, and I think that it was made with most in mind.
That said, It's in my opinion, that some of us here, at least me, would like another Inverno Russo.
Something only the brave of heart would wear.
The first time I sampled it, I was like, ummmm, i don't think I could wear this outside or in public.
Inverno Russo was dark on me. I didn't know if I liked it, and now I love it.
I only have about 8mls left from a split I got from strifeknot.
So I use it sparingly and come the colder weather, I will wear it out and about.

See you all on the 7th.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I’ve been enjoying Manly all day today. The “raisin/rum accord lasts much longer on clothing. This turned to the leather accord on skin within five minutes as I mentioned before, at least on my skin. But, where it was sprayed on chest and got on my shirt, the raisin/rum aura has lasted all day and is very enjoyable to me. I’m not getting any smokiness, just the notes previously mentioned. This is a fragrance I will enjoy for sure. I went into this one knowing it was a collaboration and my expectations have been based on that, knowing that this is apparently RA’s step brothers first professional fragrance, correct? Pretty cool when your step brother is Russian Adam and you want to make a perfume. Anyway, I like it and will enjoy it.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
I hope my Manly smells like cotton candy.

Does anyone think the price was warranted with this one? Is it too synthetic, boring or basic? I’ll find out tomorrow but curious everyone’s thoughts...comparing to what $7/ml usually buys from ALD.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Looks like I have an order on the way from "Perfumer Supply House" arriving Monday. It can only be Manly. I received the email from UPS, but no email from ALD - is this typical?

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Looks like I have an order on the way from "Perfumer Supply House" arriving Monday. It can only be Manly. I received the email from UPS, but no email from ALD - is this typical?

I got the same notification from Perfumers Supply House for Series #6 and just yesterday for Manly, so as Dothraki said, it is your bottle of Manly on the way.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019

Does anyone think the price was warranted with this one? Is it too synthetic, boring or basic? I’ll find out tomorrow but curious everyone’s thoughts...comparing to what $7/ml usually buys from ALD.

There is nothing bad or synthetic about manly to my nose.
I originally thought that composition will be great but ingredients will be not as good (mainly because of cashmeran) but it turned out to be exactly opposite.

I really hope he can do a composition with proper tobacco and oud and leather represented by suederal.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020

For me I think this one is worth it, nothing radical or extreme, it is easy to wear and an enjoyable scent from beginning to the end, great performance too, so this can be a daily driver, or put on rotation with your other stuff. not at all synthetic or boring, I'm getting a few transitions, definitely interesting enough for me personally.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
For me I think this one is worth it, nothing radical or extreme, it is easy to wear and an enjoyable scent from beginning to the end, great performance too, so this can be a daily driver, or put on rotation with your other stuff. not at all synthetic or boring, I'm getting a few transitions, definitely interesting enough for me personally.

Would a non-frag head find it enjoyable?

oudaddict

Feb 2, 2017

Price is subjective but I feel you can find similar fragrances, if not better, for less. I guess it's a matter of personal tastes.

Oct 20, 2019
Got my bottle today (there was no notification that it had been shipped or anything like that) ... then it went straight to the skin. I really like the smell ... rough, tart hay leather. No trace of Interlude (luckily, because I deeply hate the scent), no Chinese Oud and no oajan either. For me, the typical sweetness of Oajan is missing here for comparison. What I smell is more of a performance-weaker version of Ellen Covey's Salamanca ... which in turn is great for me as I adore this scent. Salamanca is a performance beast and so gritty that it can seldom be worn in public. Manly, on the other hand, is also perfect for work for me ... not too loud and a little unadjusted.

kevink01

Aug 30, 2021
Got a travel spray and big bottle of Manly. Not the greatest longevity or projection on my skin personally, but love the scent as a daily. As an aside I was eating birthday cake gelato right after spraying Manly, and I swear it was enhancing the experience. The gelato no longer just tasted sweet and floury, but you could taste the nuances of the vanilla, cinnamon, smoke and leather dancing around in the back of your throat while it melted on my tongue. Could this then be considered a semi-gourmand? Interesting experience overall. I look forward to exploring more of Areej le Dore's offerings, past and present.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
Got a travel spray and big bottle of Manly. Not the greatest longevity or projection on my skin personally, but love the scent as a daily. As an aside I was eating birthday cake gelato right after spraying Manly, and I swear it was enhancing the experience. The gelato no longer just tasted sweet and floury, but you could taste the nuances of the vanilla, cinnamon, smoke and leather dancing around in the back of your throat while it melted on my tongue. Could this then be considered a semi-gourmand? Interesting experience overall. I look forward to exploring more of Areej le Dore's offerings, past and present.

I would definitely categorize Manly as a gourmand or semi gourmand, without a doubt. Many of us have described a variation on the "Rum raisin cake" theme, which is without a doubt a gourmand experience.

As for your experience with longevity and projection - most (if not all) ALDs do not start off with beastly performance right out of the gate. BUT, almost all of them DO become very strong scents after a few weeks of maceration/maturation/oxygenation. I would be very surprised if this was not the case with Manly (although two sprays was enough for me to sample it all afternoon, so I certainly wouldn't call it "weak")

Incidentally, welcome to Basenotes!

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Ok....there’s definitely a shared note with some Amouage. I think it’s a synthetic note that’s very prominent in Memoir Man. It’s sharp, sort of earthy. That note turns fairly green after the opening. It’s also in Interlude but not as in your face as Memoir Man.

I love Amouage...but Manly smells like I would imagine a generic Amouage clone house using decent ingredients would produce.

I don’t really see any ALD DNA in here either. The rum raisin was very short lived and now I’m getting a musty sharpish green note. Not much depth to this. I don’t see this “opening up” or changing, morphing or drawing me in. I think it’s quite linear and nothing exciting about it at all. Cheap smelling compared to all other ALDs.

Not a fan.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
Ok....there’s definitely a shared note with some Amouage. I think it’s a synthetic note that’s very prominent in Memoir Man. It’s sharp, sort of earthy. That note turns fairly green after the opening. It’s also in Interlude but not as in your face as Memoir Man.

I love Amouage...but Manly smells like I would imagine a generic Amouage clone house using decent ingredients would produce.

I don’t really see any ALD DNA in here either. The rum raisin was very short lived and now I’m getting a musty sharpish green note. Not much depth to this. I don’t see this “opening up” or changing, morphing or drawing me in. I think it’s quite linear and nothing exciting about it at all. Cheap smelling compared to all other ALDs.

Not a fan.

Preserving this post in case it pulls an Oud Zhen on you.

kevink01

Aug 30, 2021
Wow! so interesting to hear everyone's diverse interpretations of the scent. It definitely provokes various degrees of historical reference with other scents. I myself now is very intrigued of how Manly will effect me. Thanks for the updates.

Thank you! Grateful to be here. I made an account just to get into Areej le Dore, and natural perfumes by extension. I also forgot to mention the boozy note it had which was heavenly when eating my ice cream, now that you mention the rum raisin.

joe king

Apr 28, 2017
Price is subjective but I feel you can find similar fragrances, if not better, for less. I guess it's a matter of personal tastes.

I agree it is subjective but a similar perfume say Oajan @$250 for 125ml compared to Manly @$900 for the same amount...
Manly would need to smell much better which I don't think it does, the opening is great but that only lasts a few minutes before it turns to a generic smokiness.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
^^ lol

I can’t believe how much this reminds me of Memoir Man and Interlude. But it’s missing all of the magic from both. The late drydown is like a generic powdered caramel with the sharpness still in there from that note that’s identical to what Amouage uses. To me it comes across as a synthetic vetiver. Maybe it’s not...but that’s what it seems like to me.

I didn’t get any boozyness or sandalwood or saffron...I’ll look again for the patchouli but I think it was overpowered by the synthetic vetiver (or what I’m calling synth vetiver anyway) but I will give it time and check it out some more. I wasn’t a fan of Russian Musk II but it’s 100x better than Manly. I guess it’s tough because this composition is nothing like any other ALD so it really shouldn’t be compared to ALD...but it is, so I will.

joe king

Apr 28, 2017
^^ I wasn’t a fan of Russian Musk II but it’s 100x better than Manly. I guess it’s tough because this composition is nothing like any other ALD so it really shouldn’t be compared to ALD...but it is, so I will.

For me this is where it is a problem, it is ALD but not comparable to any other ALD (even the ones I don't like, in terms of quality). It is at an ALD price but most people here are comparing it (in some cases unfavorably) to synthetic perfumes that are 1/3 or 1/4 the price. I think it was a mistake to market this as ALD.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
^^ lol

I can’t believe how much this reminds me of Memoir Man and Interlude. But it’s missing all of the magic from both. The late drydown is like a generic powdered caramel with the sharpness still in there from that note that’s identical to what Amouage uses. To me it comes across as a synthetic vetiver. Maybe it’s not...but that’s what it seems like to me.

I didn’t get any boozyness or sandalwood or saffron...I’ll look again for the patchouli but I think it was overpowered by the synthetic vetiver (or what I’m calling synth vetiver anyway) but I will give it time and check it out some more. I wasn’t a fan of Russian Musk II but it’s 100x better than Manly. I guess it’s tough because this composition is nothing like any other ALD so it really shouldn’t be compared to ALD...but it is, so I will.

The making a stink folks on YouTube said there’s a synthetic leather aromamecule called QBC or something like that? I don’t know the exact name but it’s in pretty much every synthetic leather fragrance so I’m guessing that note that everyone is connecting with is most likely that synthetic material. I’m sure someone on here will know the exact name for it.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
^^ lol

The making a stink folks on YouTube said there’s a synthetic leather aromamecule called QBC or something like that? I don’t know the exact name but it’s in pretty much every synthetic leather fragrance so I’m guessing that note that everyone is connecting with is most likely that synthetic material. I’m sure someone on here will know the exact name for it.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
So just to throw some more wood on the fire, how many of you who have Manly have also tried the Anonim line? Many have been convinced that Adam was involved in, if not THE perfumer for those releases... do you sniff any similarities between Manly and black, silver or gold?

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
So just to throw some more wood on the fire, how many of you who have Manly have also tried the Anonim line? Many have been convinced that Adam was involved in, if not THE perfumer for those releases... do you sniff any similarities between Manly and black, silver or gold?

Oh there's no doubt that was Adam or someone very near him. Either that or someone spoofed his WHOIS data. But your question is a good one. I've been meaning to try those out for awhile.

Staff online

Latest News