Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
I’m not sure about the 100k but the Millenium available right now was distilled 20 years ago, before RA was distilling anything. I believe it’s government distillation rebottled in 3gr bottles for sale.

Gotcha. That is odd (to me). My experience is that government sandal is "thin" compared to small batch distillations. I do have a pretty nice 20+ year Ramnarain that is a little more woody/varnish.

Clearly I haven't smelled them all, though. But I wouldn't necessarily consider it superior.

oudaddict

Feb 2, 2017
Wearing Russian Musk 2 today, man this is so good and so much better than the original, I'm gonna regret not getting a backup bottle. That chocolate-musky drydown is just out of this world!

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Manly is getting very mass appealing in the dry down after 30min, this is like a niche fragrance with a twist in the opening. By far this is the easiest to wear than my other ALD stuff. lol Maybe this is something Russian Adam taking a jab at Office for Man but obviously superior in every which way :p

brothernature

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 22, 2020
Couldn't agree more! I'm only 5 minutes in but it has that balsamic-sweet smokiness that is so characteristic of Interlude Man (I also get it from Mona di Orios Cuir, which led me to believe that opoponax is important to that vibe). After 10 minutes it is all I can smell in the sillage, even though I pick up some birch tar and slight boozy notes on skin.

Kinda bummed that you experienced the same to be frank... If I wanted Interlude Man, I'd just wear that lol

Opinions are still all over the place since many haven't received their bottles, but my 3-4 tries have all been the same. Interlude Man 10 minutes in.

Proust_Madeleine made a good point on the aroma molecule. I think I saw RA mention that the composition was 90% natural... that leaves a good chunk for other synths to take over.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
Kinda bummed that you experienced the same to be frank... If I wanted Interlude Man, I'd just wear that lol

Opinions are still all over the place since many haven't received their bottles, but my 3-4 tries have all been the same. Interlude Man 10 minutes in.

Frankly, I don't get Interlude at all from Manly. Kind of wish I did lol...

I've only worn it once, but (like XCaliber said), its closer to Oajan for me, or possibly Ambre Narguille. Rich, boozy rum raisin with a hint of smoky leather. I'm gonna have to wear it again and see but that was my initial reaction.

I'm a fan of Interlude. I don't get any resemblance to it from Manly apart from a bit of incense smokiness in the drydrown. Interlude Man is a much better fragrance than Manly, IMO.
Agreed

oscarsh

Jun 15, 2015
Hi,

To me, honestly, it didn't remind me of Interlude or Oajan at all.

At some point it does have something similar to Chinese Oud, especially at the beggining.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
Had to go for my Russian Oud attar after watching the video. Wow! What a stunning fragrance that's only gotten better over time. It is such a masterful blend of light barn, cacao, and some other animatics, which then blend into this buttery amber base all while maintaining an aromatic ceiling to it. Absolutely gorgeous! Wish I had the extrait.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Had to go for my Russian Oud attar after watching the video. Wow! What a stunning fragrance that's only gotten better over time. It is such a masterful blend of light barn, cacao, and some other animatics, which then blend into this buttery amber base all while maintaining an aromatic ceiling to it. Absolutely gorgeous! Wish I had the extrait.

I’ve been trying to get rid of a 12ml decant I have of the extrait for awhile.. Looks like payday is finally coming now that version two is showing up. When I first got this I fell in love but that love turned into boredom which now turned into “ew this smells like farts and plastic”.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Manly is performing better and better after each wearing, 12hr later and it is still going, only 2 sprays, typical Russian Adam Powar!! Yup, this is Oajan's little twin brother in the dry down alright, no doubt.

Oajan Manly.jpg

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Manly arrived.
No correlation whatsoever with Interlude or Overture.
Manly is a winter fragrance for sure, it is as dense and powdery as war and peace, but smell wise it is nothing alike either.
It is fairly sweet, brown in feel and leather or tobacco are not main players unfortunately. Main player here is molasses.
To me this smells like what i imagine pour un homme by caron to smell like, minus lavender and plus molasses.
3 other frags that come up from my memory would be:
Eight and bob egypt +molasses
And
The one by D&G
And
A fragrance i dont remember its name, but it is found at drugstores for like $10. It was small rectangular bottle with dark juice and it was called something basic like hammer, or maximum, or smth along that line.
It is a cheap, warm, spicy, musty fragrance with a touch of old man smell of yesteryear.
Definitely a flop to my nose, and not worthy of ALD name. Its even worse than malik al taif and plumeria and sits at the bottom of not only ALD frqgs, but many other frags i tried.

It is better to smell it in silage than close up.

Sadness fell upon me :(

avo1811

Dec 6, 2018
Manly arrived.
No correlation whatsoever with Interlude or Overture.
Manly is a winter fragrance for sure, it is as dense and powdery as war and peace, but smell wise it is nothing alike either.
It is fairly sweet, brown in feel and leather or tobacco are not main players unfortunately. Main player here is molasses.
To me this smells like what i imagine pour un homme by caron to smell like, minus lavender and plus molasses.
3 other frags that come up from my memory would be:
Eight and bob egypt +molasses
And
The one by D&G
And
A fragrance i dont remember its name, but it is found at drugstores for like $10. It was small rectangular bottle with dark juice and it was called something basic like hammer, or maximum, or smth along that line.
It is a cheap, warm, spicy, musty fragrance with a touch of old man smell of yesteryear.
Definitely a flop to my nose, and not worthy of ALD name. Its even worse than malik al taif and plumeria and sits at the bottom of not only ALD frqgs, but many other frags i tried.

It is better to smell it in silage than close up.

Sadness fell upon me :(

Oof

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016

Wow dude, worse than Malik Al Taif? That sure does set the bar really high as that's one of the best Areej frags made and up there with Antiquiry, RM1, Oud Picante (imo).

But I get it... and there does seem to be some consensus of disappointment about Manly :(

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Wow dude, worse than Malik Al Taif? That sure does set the bar really high as that's one of the best Areej frags made and up there with Antiquiry, RM1, Oud Picante (imo).

But I get it... and there does seem to be some consensus of disappointment about Manly :(

Malik was too basic to me personally, just lots of rose and very little musk.

After some time, animalic component in Manly comes up like unwashed scalp.
Has a little bit of a cherry tone to it

Last edited:

joe king

Apr 28, 2017
On the drydown particularly Manly has to my nose a synthetic smoky note that i also get in Aventus, Bel ami vetiver, Tuscan Leather and to some degree Herod and Oajan. It is the reason I got rid of these.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
On the drydown particularly Manly has to my nose a synthetic smoky note that i also get in Aventus, Bel ami vetiver, Tuscan Leather and to some degree Herod and Oajan. It is the reason I got rid of these.

The Vanilla, Tonka Bean, and Cinnamon theme from this thing is very commonly used in a lot of other designers/niche too, including the Spicebomb Extreme, Armani Stronger With You, and Azzaro Wanted by Night. Same theme, same vibe, same dry down, very mass appealing. Manly is like a hybrid, you have got the artisan's Oud, booze, animalic, and leather in the opening, and then it dries down into something generic that is easily likable by the general public. I get to enjoy it in the first 30min to an hour, then other people get to dig the dry down, best of both worlds, artisan dubstep designer/niche remix going on. LOL

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Okay, the unwashed scalp comment wouldn't allow me to wait until the morning to try Manly out, so I opened the box and just sprayed some on...first impressions.

Raisin and Rum opening smells very, very nice to me! I really like the initial blast from the opening. Five minutes in and I'm getting major leather on my skin...and that's where it's at for the time being. Enjoying it so far.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020

I hope the drydown isn't unbearable like that of Tuscan Leather's smoke. It's the one reason why I can no longer wear Tuscan Leather with regularity.

Okay, the unwashed scalp comment wouldn't allow me to wait until the morning to try Manly out, so I opened the box and just sprayed some on...first impressions.

Raisin and Rum opening smells very, very nice to me! I really like the initial blast from the opening. Five minutes in and I'm getting major leather on my skin...and that's where it's at for the time being. Enjoying it so far.

So far sounds great to me!

Latest News