Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
Ok guys,
I received the delivery . Briefly evaluate all three scents . Two scents are very similar to two famous brands Rasasi boruzz and sultan pasha attar. I will get back to you tomorrow to tell you which scent is similar and or same as other two brands .

So far impressed with all three but more impressed with Siberian musk and Ottoman Empire
41a54d28f28d045288f9d689e2c3d115.jpg

I can't wait to hear about the scents that are similar!

SayfAli

Jun 25, 2017
Ok guys,
I received the delivery . Briefly evaluate all three scents . Two scents are very similar to two famous brands Rasasi boruzz and sultan pasha attar. I will get back to you tomorrow to tell you which scent is similar and or same as other two brands .

So far impressed with all three but more impressed with Siberian musk and Ottoman Empire
41a54d28f28d045288f9d689e2c3d115.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you order the 2 samples as well? Also, I have to say ..this stuff last long. I sprayed 1 and smelt it all day at work on my arm even when I wasnt close. Will be nice to hear your update soon.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Good to hear you received the bottles safely, SayfAli and mustafa911. Btw, what no. is on your respective bottles? Just curious.. :smiley:

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
I was wearing Siberian Musk the other day and my wife thought she smelled 'talcum powder'. I suppose it does have a soft floral element to it, especially in whatever gets projected. Anyone else get 'powder'?

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Yes, and I am (embarrassingly) seriously considering a third bottle. :)

One way to justify a third is to make it a "sharing bottle". Some of it you plan on splitting out as small samples to friends, or you can hold a sample pass later. That way you can be stingy with one bottle, wear another with some hesitation, and be promiscuous and generous with the third. It's the best of both worlds.

Not that I would know anything about such schemes. :wink:

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
One way to justify a third is to make it a "sharing bottle". Some of it you plan on splitting out as small samples to friends, or you can hold a sample pass later. That way you can be stingy with one bottle, wear another with some hesitation, and be promiscuous and generous with the third. It's the best of both worlds.

Not that I would know anything about such schemes. :wink:
I think splitting is an excellent idea. I am in :).

Mustafa911

Apr 6, 2015
My two scents :
I fully agreed Claire the extrait de parfum are made with high quality ingredients and it last long time 12+ hours . In addition the scent compositions are truly old factory and has an attar like feel.

Oud zen:
As an oud lover , i was very excited to receive the sample . The sample I received has very small quantity of juice but enough for few sprays !! Thanks Adam for adding the sample.

The scent is great and has some great characteristics of Indian oud , but not skanky maybe a slight touch but it's really good. The only issue for me is that it has almost all the characteristics of Rasasi boruzz Roh al asam. To me having a bottle of oud zen will be big duplicate . I found Rasasi projects and last more but the longevity is also great on oud zen .
Both are great winners in my book. If you are looking for good non skanky oud with old composition you should sample oud zen.

Ottoman Empire :
I am spending a lot of time with Ottoman Empire and that is my next order . I am planning to get a bottle next week.
To me otomoon Empire is like an attar composition in parfum bottle . I meant the composition is old factory attar beauty . I love it and I can't have enough. The longevity on my parfum consuming dry skin is 16+ hours.
The parfum reminds me dry down of sultan pash reve narcotique attar. In addition some similarities of Sultan Pasha arum d'Angkhor vibe in dry down . I am not saying it's identical but it has the vibe.
The experience is amazing !! I am addicted . I never thought parfum spray will give me the experience of an attar.

Thank you Claire , starblind for introducing us to this brand .

I am still experimenting Siberian musk !! It's beautiful and I like A lot and it's a keeper !!

Last edited:

yarn

May 21, 2013
I was wearing Siberian Musk the other day and my wife thought she smelled 'talcum powder'. I suppose it does have a soft floral element to it, especially in whatever gets projected. Anyone else get 'powder'?

My wife's first comment on Siberian Musk was that it reminded her of talcum powder - this is also code for 'she doesn't like it'

ClaireV

Mar 25, 2014
My wife's first comment on Siberian Musk was that it reminded her of talcum powder - this is also code for 'she doesn't like it'

Ha! Sorry, Yarn. I am guessing that quite a few of us have "spouse code" for "I don't like it". My husband hates anything with vanilla, so some of his code sentences are:

"Did you just spill a s***load of sugar in the kitchen?"
"Have you been eating milk chocolate?"

One of the characteristics of real musk, by the way, is that it is powdery. Another one is that although musk lasts a long time (its value in perfumery being first and foremost as a superlative fixative), in and of itself it is not a loud, bombastic, or room-filling note.

ClaireV

Mar 25, 2014
My two scents :
I fully agreed Claire the extrait de parfum are made with high quality ingredients and it last long time 12+ hours . In addition the scent compositions are truly old factory and has an attar like feel.

Oud zen:
As an oud lover , i was very excited to receive the sample . The sample I received has very small quantity of juice but enough for few sprays !! Thanks Adam for adding the sample.

The scent is great and has some great characteristics of Indian oud , but not skanky maybe a slight touch but it's really good. The only issue for me is that it has almost all the characteristics of Rasasi boruzz Roh al asam. To me having a bottle of oud zen will be big duplicate . I found Rasasi projects and last more but the longevity is also great on oud zen .
Both are great winners in my book. If you are looking for good non skanky oud with old composition you should sample oud zen.

Ottoman Empire :
I am spending a lot of time with Ottoman Empire and that is my next order . I am planning to get a bottle next week.
To me otomoon Empire is like an attar composition in parfum bottle . I meant the composition is old factory attar beauty . I love it and I can't have enough. The longevity on my parfum consuming dry skin is 16+ hours.
The parfum reminds me dry down of sultan pash reve narcotique attar. In addition some similarities of Sultan Pasha arum d'Angkhor vibe in dry down . I am not saying it's identical but it has the vibe.
The experience is amazing !! I am addicted . I never thought parfum spray will give me the experience of an attar.

Thank you Claire , starblind for introducing us to this brand .

I am still experimenting Siberian musk !! It's beautiful and I like A lot and it's a keeper !!

Very interesting, thanks Mustafa! I have never heard of that particular Rasasi, but I will certainly keep my eye out for it now. I am worried by the references on Fragrantica to Oud Ispahan, which smells very chemical and shrill sometimes to my nose, but we'll see (I have started to really like Oud Palao, for example).

So, it seems that although all the hype has been around Siberian Musk, at least two members here - yourself and Diamondflame - seem to have stronger feelings towards Ottoman Empire. Might it even pip Siberian Musk at the post? Like Diamondflame said above somewhere, if one only had an extra $300 lying around....:D

Mustafa911

Apr 6, 2015
Very interesting, thanks Mustafa! I have never heard of that particular Rasasi, but I will certainly keep my eye out for it now. I am worried by the references on Fragrantica to Oud Ispahan, which smells very chemical and shrill sometimes to my nose, but we'll see (I have started to really like Oud Palao, for example).

So, it seems that although all the hype has been around Siberian Musk, at least two members here - yourself and Diamondflame - seem to have stronger feelings towards Ottoman Empire. Might it even pip Siberian Musk at the post? Like Diamondflame said above somewhere, if one only had an extra $300 lying around....:D

Yes in love with Ottoman Empire , truly old factory attar kind of stuff.

Oud zen, No it's not like oud ispahan . Two times quality potent and different than Dior oud. People mention oud ispahan because it is rose + oud combo but rooh al asaam is very different . The bottle sells for $140 at notino.com

Last edited:

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013

Interesting! I did not think of this scent in terms of powder at all, but my DIL mentioned that it smelled like "musky powder," so obviously that aspect is noticeable to others.

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
In addition some similarities of Sultan Pasha arum d'Angkhor vibe in dry down . I am not saying it's identical but it has the vibe.

Thank you for mentioning this! It was driving me nuts trying to think of where I had smelled something similar to Ottoman Empire. I knew it was something from Sultan Pasha, but I couldn't figure out which attar it was.

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
"The best perfume world has seen in ages. Period. It has all the elements of a classic chypre from the golden days of perfumery. Creativity: infinite and unregulated. Starts off with a blast of powdered citrus and floral powder. Then the dark animal musk unleashes a sensual extravaganza and transports me into medieval era. What remains of it within a few hours is the authentic erotic note of deer musk. It's magical and extraordinarily beautiful. Pure velvet. No musk fragrance has ever given me this pure thrill the closest was Diaghilev by Roja..."

This is a wonderful description of Siberian Musk and closely mirrors my own feelings about this scent (chypre-ishness and all). And now that I have worn it every day for weeks, I find its musky furriness somewhat closer in profile to L'Ombre Fauve than to Muscs Koublai Khan. All in all, it wears/smells like a softer and deeper and furrier mashup of Maai, Diagheliv, and L'Ombre Fauve.

Don't know if anyone needs this info, but here are its listed notes (according to Areej le Dore):

Top notes: Italian bergamot and lime, Indian mandarin, Siberian smoky pine. Freshly co-distilled hydrosol from exotic fruits and citruses.

Middle notes: a maceration made from legally obtained, wild Siberian deer musk grains, Moroccan orange blossom, Australian sandalwood, galbanum, cypress and a variety of spices.

Base notes: wild, green agarwood oils from Papua New Guinea, blue cypress absolute, patchouli, amber resin, clean Indian vetiver and Indian herbal musk attar.

Last edited:

SayfAli

Jun 25, 2017
Hey all. Love this stuff, but just might... might sell my new bottle of Siberian Musk (99% full)

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009

On the contrary, my lady loves powder! She actually came real close to me but couldn't tell if I was the source. So the 'musky powder' is detectable in the air but up close, you won't get it. Starblind's similar experience seems to confirn this powderiness could be something others tend to notice more than the wearer does.

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
I got yesterday the #59 of Siberian Musk.
Today I wear Ottoman Empire and I am very impressed too. Full review to come.
View attachment 68492
View attachment 68493

Ottoman Empire is delicious and utterly unisex. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one!

Also, Russian Adam mentioned to me yesterday that he has approximately 30 bottles of Siberian Musk left. (Just a heads up to anyone interested.)

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Thanks for posting those pics, Hains! Is that an atomiser from the house? Never seen it before. And what are those 2 vials labelled 'Din Dan' and 'Bio Hirto'??

Hainss

Dec 29, 2013
Thanks for posting those pics, Hains! Is that an atomiser from the house? Never seen it before. And what are those 2 vials labelled 'Din Dan' and 'Bio Hirto'??

It's an oud oil called Velvet Kyen, and the two samples are oud oil too. All that oil is from the house Feel Oud, also from Russian Adam.
It's my second bottle of oud oil, I received Ensar oud - Yusuf last week. It's my initiation to oud oil. I really like that! After an initiation to oil by Tribute attar and then Sultan Pasha, oud oil is another very positive discovery.
For me, those recent discovery change the game, I look at some of my standard perfumes with less interest. I thinked to sell some regulars bottles to buy more attar or perfume with more concentration like Slumberhouse, Areej le dore, etc.
That talked to me when Mustafa compared Areej composition with Sultan Pasha Attar, I also got the attar vibe, not the same thing than an attar, but more in that genre than other standard perfume.

I also smell the powder note, but it's not only that, or a turn off for me. I am not a fan of powder note, but by now I can live with it easily. My girlfriend also told the word powder to described it.

Sorry for my english

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
It's an oud oil called Velvet Kyen, and the two samples are oud oil too. All that oil is from the house Feel Oud, also from Russian Adam.
It's my second bottle of oud oil, I received Ensar oud - Yusuf last week. It's my initiation to oud oil. I really like that! After an initiation to oil by Tribute attar and then Sultan Pasha, oud oil is another very positive discovery.
For me, those recent discovery change the game, I look at some of my standard perfumes with less interest. I thinked to sell some regulars bottles to buy more attar or perfume with more concentration like Slumberhouse, Areej le dore, etc.
That talked to me when Mustafa compared Areej composition with Sultan Pasha Attar, I also got the attar vibe, not the same thing than an attar, but more in that genre than other standard perfume.

I also smell the powder note, but it's not only that, or a turn off for me. I am not a fan of powder note, but by now I can live with it easily. My girlfriend also told the word powder to described it.

Sorry for my english

Your English is great! And I'd love to hear more of your thoughts and impressions of the oud oils, if you get a chance.

Mustafa911

Apr 6, 2015
I used Siberian musk briefly for the last two days . It's really potent musky scent with a beautiful combination of lime/citrusy notes . I really enjoyed the dry down. On my skin the dry down smells like musk which I really liked it. I don't sense powdery vibe on my skin . As we all know the skin chemistry plays a role. I enjoyed Ottoman Empire ( my sample ran out ) , I am sure to have a good time with Musk in future .

I don't regret spending $350 on the bottle .

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
I used Siberian musk briefly for the last two days . It's really potent musky scent with a beautiful combination of lime/citrusy notes . I really enjoyed the dry down. On my skin the dry down smells like musk which I really liked it. I don't sense powdery vibe on my skin . As we all know the skin chemistry plays a role. I enjoyed Ottoman Empire ( my sample ran out ) , I am sure to have a good time with Musk in future .

I don't regret spending $350 on the bottle .

So glad you're enjoying SB! I've never owned a scent that pleased me so much from top to bottom. Usually there's some aspect of a scent that is less pleasing to me, but here I love the citrusy top notes, the musky orange blossom middle, and the furry musk base. Yum!

Hainss

Dec 29, 2013
I don't have the habit to make reviews, because I am not good to find notes in fragrances. Also, I am not really good in english, so that made me shy. But after two wear, here is my first impression on Siberian Musk.

From the opening, I don't had a sharp lime note on my skin. I can smell lime on the sprayer after a spray, but the day after the lime note faded away from the sprayer. I concluded that the lime note will probably stay more on fabrics.
On my skin, the opening is a blend of pine, maybe white floral and an body odor feel, maybe urine, or sweat (not a unpleasant, sharp and aggressive urine note, but a more like a warm urine feeling). I don't want to scare somebody here with the word urine, the whole is an interesting opening. Also, maybe beeswax and an a spice like cumin come play a role here, but I can tell. At the moment it's not the part I like the most, maybe during a more cold temperature, I'll like that opening more.
After 30min to 1 hour, the scent change a little bit. I got less of that body odor and a dominant note of this fragrance come slowly to take place, I guess it's the musk. That processes make the fragrance does many transformation when the time pass, giving the opportunity to different aspects of the composition to emerge, but I can't describe all that now. I'll try to give an overall fell of that musk note who is probably the main note of the drydown.

From a color of a dirty and pale green yellow in the opening, we pass to a creamy white with a touch of yellow, maybe more the multifaceted of an nacre white of an oyster shell but with a touch of yellow tint, for the rest of development of the fragrance.
That musk is so fluffy! Like if you can be high in the sky, in the middle of a dense cloud, and a warm scent emerge to your nose. That's not a clean white, the type you can associate with an abstract angel purity. That's more like an oily, furry, animal, made of flesh, heaven scent!
I can smell a little bit of sweet and powder there too. About that aspect, something strange come to my mind; a warm and fluffy marshmallow vibe (not at all a candy sweet note, but more like a warm and sticky marshmallow plunged into a body oil of something else I can't define.)

I can easily imagine the similarity to a vintage french perfumery chypre, or musk based fragrance, but I don't know very well that genre, so I can't compare.
One fragrance come to my mind, it's Amouage - Jubilation 25 for women, they are not the same at all, but a link was made in my mind for reason. Jub 25 have more clean and sharp colors, but also he is more thin compare to the fluffy, potent and more raw feel of SM.
That bring me to talk about longevity. Jub 25 don't last long, and for me he have a poor projection and poor silage. SM have a very long longevity, a moderate projection, but maybe a huge silage that I can't smell. Siberian Musk share probably similarity to extrait or attar type, because it not project very much. With my two wear I don't got it without smelling my arm. About the silage, today, at 10h, I sprayed SM three times, two on my neck and one on my inner arm. At 18h I was outside, with a little wind, and my girlfriend arrive to home, and then she told me that, at 2 meter away from me, she smelled my perfume. She don't really like it, so, I don't had a good compliment ;) Anyway,she don't like animalic, like Maai, Oudh Infini, etc.

About Maai, I had a rash on my inner wrist during my first wearing of SM. That's not the first time that I had a reaction at this particular place. I had with Bogue - Maai, Rania J - Ambre Loup, Puredistance M (but not all the time), Sultan Pasha - Nakan Kudo. I conclude that a note common in the chypre composition do that, but I don't know which! Today I spayed SM on my elbow and my neck and don't had rash. Maai and SM can share similarity because of the vintage chypre style, but I find Maai more sharp on the animalic note and more aggresive overall.

In conclusion, it's a fragrance who challenge me, in a good way. I like the quality feel of the ingredients and the longevity. The musk note in the drydown is very impressive! That promises!

Last edited:

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Thanks, Hainss for that rundown on Siberian Musk. So your girlfriend doesn't share your enthusiasm, eh ? What kind of scents does she enjoy? It might explain her reaction.

I've been wearing Siberian Musk every other day and loving it every time. The spiced citrus/pine opening no longer poses a problem for me. The central musk is one of the friendliest I have ever encountered. Nothing overtly feral or skanky. On the ' animalic' register, Siberian Musk is nowhere near the levels reached by MAAI, Absolue Pour le Soir or Salome.

Mustafa911

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks, Hainss for that rundown on Siberian Musk. Nothing overtly feral or skanky. On the ' animalic' register, Siberian Musk is nowhere near the levels reached by MAAI, Absolue Pour le Soir or Salome.

Agreed not even close to animalic of APLS . APLS you need an acquire taste to tolerate but I love APLS a lot.

Hainss

Dec 29, 2013
Thanks, Hainss for that rundown on Siberian Musk. So your girlfriend doesn't share your enthusiasm, eh ? What kind of scents does she enjoy? It might explain her reaction.

I've been wearing Siberian Musk every other day and loving it every time. The spiced citrus/pine opening no longer poses a problem for me. The central musk is one of the friendliest I have ever encountered. Nothing overtly feral or skanky. On the ' animalic' register, Siberian Musk is nowhere near the levels reached by MAAI, Absolue Pour le Soir or Salome.

She can like all that strong perfumes, but not the animalic with civet, castoreum, etc. The only animalic that she can bear is Montecristo, who is one of my favorite animalic fragrance.
I tried really hard to make her love Absolue pour le soir, I tried to play trick to her, but no, she spot the animalic note from a milles away, all the time. His face is not pretty when she smell it.
Salome is more acceptable to her, but it's not her favorite.
She also find Empire Ottoman too animalic... an other family member, a women, said, ; «animal urine». I think that one is not a crowd pleaser too. I don't understand, seriously, this one is more soft, an pretty good too. Maybe that one is for a trained nose too!
I think the animalic notes in Areej frags are not too strong, because the fragrance is complex and the animalic note is well borded by other notes. I got no sharp animalic note who scream like a big Maai cat, but more a subtle note, one that give deep to the fragrance.

thebeck

Mar 25, 2007
My wife says to me yesterday, whatever you've been wearing the last couple of days smells really good.

She rarely comments - I was wearing Siberian Musk those days.

chypre

Oct 10, 2006
I've been wearing Siberian Musk every other day and loving it every time. The spiced citrus/pine opening no longer poses a problem for me.

That's encouraging. I tried it from an STC sample a couple of days ago, and was really bothered by the lime. I will have to try it again, because I really adore the rest of the fragrance. The musk is truly divine here, it smells warm, intimate and familiar, like the feeling of falling asleep nuzzled in your lover's arms.

Mustafa911

Apr 6, 2015
I am Shocked to hear that anyone can describe ottoman empire as urine . Seriously that's some very strange observation from anyone that live on human planet . Sorry to say that !!

Ottoman Empire is beautiful , oh my !!!

Last edited:

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
I am Shocked to hear that anyone can describe ottoman empire as urine . Seriously that's some very strange observation from anyone that live on human planet . Sorry to say that !!

Ottoman Empire is beautiful , oh my !!!

I agree! It is a gorgeous, warm, slightly oud-y, rose-y wonder!

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
I finally got the chance to wear Siberian Musk on skin. The initial opening is oily citrus and pine, giving a glimpse into the musky elements, and an enjoyable phase. Beyond this, it slowly transforms into an accord that is mostly musk, augmented with spices and some woody-floral touches. This transformation begins at around one hour after application, and takes place over another 3-4 hours. The musk note is clean, fresh and deep. Anyone looking for a skanky musk is bound to be disappointed: compared to Muscs Koublai Khan (the version I've tried), Salome and MAAI (I don't find any of these skanky either ....) - this is rather clean. There is a second and final transformation as the fragrance dries down to its base accord, which is mostly musk supported by a touch of woods. This phase starts at about six hours post application and lasts a long time. Curiously, this final accord is just very slightly a touch skanky compared to its initial and mid phases - however, again, not at all when if considered in relation to the other fragrances I mentioned. Personally, this final accord is also not as enjoyable or engaging as the initial and mid phases.

I found projection to be on the lower side, however it exhibits excellent duration at around twelve hours, or even more. The other point of note is that the (relative) absence of floral notes. This would be interesting to anyone looking for a fresh, clean, natural musk fragrance with some depth, and without any skank or florals. Another note - at no point is the musk or the fragrance is sweet by any stretch of imagination. It's not bitter either, and I don't get any medicinal, or even a herbal vibe at any stage of development.

Sea Roses

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 6, 2011
My bottle arrived just after I put on Frapin Paradis Perdu...so I showered and then put this on. It's been just over an hour but a stunning perfume and think I will double down on this....if any are left.

Siberia is a BIG place and I have only ever spent two periods of substantial time there...... early spring and mid Autumn.

Have all the perfumes mentioned in this thread and can't relate those to what I am wearing. This is more Sakhalin Deer than Siberian Deer to me ...in that it reminds me of the beautiful island of Sakhalin so far.

Haven't tried the other two perfumes yet.

OK several hours later.....this really is a magic carpet ride of a fragrance. The opening lime is not oily to me at all, but a vibrant lime that lasted about 20-30 minutes on me(smell the cap several hours later) .......there is always a beautiful musk with you (clean, rich ...and seems to be creamy to me....but as I don't eat any dairy, sugar, wheat or meat not sure if I remember what creamy is) as the perfume evolves. The fruits and flowers especially an exquisite orange blossom certainly come along for the ride, and then the beautiful resins of pine and cypress and a fine fleeting oud that pops in and out. Understand this is Siberian deer musk......but it reminds me of late spring in Sakhalin, in the mountains, where smells are vibrant and you feel you are the only person there. Stunning perfume.

Put a spray on a cashmere throw, a silk wrap and of all things a full length antique black diamond mink coat given to me by my grandmother(was terrified to put it on any other mink coats in case it stained) which smells of all the beautiful perfumes she wore and hours later the new scent is right at home.

Congratulations to Russian Adam for making this fascinating and beautiful perfume.

Last edited:

Latest News