Are Guerlain Exclusives supposed to be wrapped in cellophane?

Infinity

Jun 17, 2012
Fair warning, Long post ahead.

So I finally after YEARS of coveting it, bought a full bottle of Cuir Beluga from Saks.

Currently there is limited supply because it’s been taken off shelves to be “repackaged” (maybe reformulated too?) and I believe a price increase is to follow. One of the sales associates ordered it from their warehouse to be delivered to me since they didn’t have it in the store.

When it arrived the outer Guerlain box was wrapped in Saks paper and taped together. No cellophane. The outer box was damaged and worn with dings and definite signs of being opened. The inner box, the leather case the perfume came in, had finger prints all over it and so did the bottle. It looked and smelled as if it were sprayed. I returned it to the store, to a very apologetic sales person and he credited me for the perfume and I placed an order for a replacement (new) bottle. I want this perfume!

It arrived today and once again it came wrapped in paper taped together. Shouldn’t need bottles come wrapped in Cellophane? The outer Guerlain box was (less) damaged than the first, and the inner case had (less) finger prints. The bottle looked full, although it smelled as if it had been sprayed but maybe I’m wrong. In my experience brand new bottles don’t have a scent on the sprayer until they’re sprayed and this one did.

I know it’s authentic, I’m not worried about that, I’m just annoyed that I payed this much money for a possibly used bottle TWICE. I know the first one was used and this second one seems possibly used, just less used. I can suck it up, especially since I know bottles of it are sparse right now and I really really want it. I just feel disappointed because this is the most I’ve ever spent on a perfume and I wanted it to be more… special I guess.

What’s weird is the sales associate texted me today to ask me if everything was “perfect” and I admitted to him it wasn’t and explained why and he didn’t return my text. Anyway I’ll likely just let it go. I’m just happy to have a full bottle of this beautiful fragrance but it really disappointed me and turned me off to Saks. What do you think?

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
My experience over many years is that many do not come wrapped in cellophane even if they're brand new although I can't speak specifically to the one you purchased.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Also echoing that it doesn't come in cellophane.

I will agree Saks online order fulfillment does not match the luxury image of the dept store. It feels as cheap and hastily packaged as Amazon and I've gotten some Frederic Malle boxes coming all scuffed up. Not the biggest deal, but you'd think they'd put a little more effort into their presentation.

Also the "samples". Always a f*cking packet of Woolite with my order. The whole experience feels very cheap. But then again, the reaosn I tend to order online from Saks is they almost always have some kind of discount... so I guess if I'm being cheap I shouldn't expect red carpet service.

That said, I chimed in mostly because I'm so curious... how does a fragrance smell like it has been sprayed before??

Infinity

Jun 17, 2012
Also echoing that it doesn't come in cellophane.

I will agree Saks online order fulfillment does not match the luxury image of the dept store. It feels as cheap and hastily packaged as Amazon and I've gotten some Frederic Malle boxes coming all scuffed up. Not the biggest deal, but you'd think they'd put a little more effort into their presentation.

Also the "samples". Always a f*cking packet of Woolite with my order. The whole experience feels very cheap. But then again, the reaosn I tend to order online from Saks is they almost always have some kind of discount... so I guess if I'm being cheap I shouldn't expect red carpet service.

That said, I chimed in mostly because I'm so curious... how does a fragrance smell like it has been sprayed before??

Yes, definitely on that Amazon level!

Samples…What samples? �� Also no discount. Welp.

Oh, sorry I wasn’t clear lol. I meant that usually when I get a new bottle, if I put my nose to the nozzle I can’t smell anything until after it’s been sprayed for the first time. With this I could smell the perfume on the sprayer and inside the cap which to me indicates someone sprayed it at least once. But as I said, I could be wrong.

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
I just received a somewhat banged up Guerlain box from Saks online, but the product inside was fine. They don’t wrap in cellophane so things can get banged up. Also, Cuir Beluga is a strong scent, often you can smell it without spraying the bottle. As the poster above said, if the sprayer isn’t primed and you have to pump a couple times, it hasn’t been used. I would just enjoy the bottle and don’t worry.

Latest News