Are any of the molecules from Escentric Molecules actually JUST that one molecule?

IthinkIcancancan

Nov 21, 2020
The Escentric Molecules horse has been beaten, run over by a train, thrown off a cliff, and hung in the harbor to strike fear in pirates. Still...I want to have my stab at this question. I am a dumb pirate haha. Don't hate me. But roll your eyes if you must.

I see a lot of folks in the Fragrance DIY forum saying "Molecule 02 is just ambroxan at ___%" or "I would never waste my money on Molecule 0whatever".

However...

I do hear other people saying "They advertise molecule 01 as having only IGS, but it is clear there are other aroma chemicals in there that aren't listed". People will say they can smell the difference between homemade molecule 04 and the original molecule 04. They say the former performs worse, doesn't get noticed as much, etc.

And so I ask the question: do you or don't you think each of the Molecule fragrances contain more than just the advertised singular aroma chemical?

What do you think, or know?

For reference:

Molecule 01= Iso gamma super
molecule 02= ambroxan
molecule 03= vetiveyrl acetate
molecule 04= javanol
molecule 05= cashmeran

Jolieo

Feb 18, 2018
I think some of them might use different isomers- I believe of iso super - and it is a captive too- could have details wrong, but something like that
I didn’t pay attention about other materials

julian35

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 28, 2009
A search for Molecule 01 in the DIY Forum brings up many many previous discussion about this. Do you know how to search the forum?
2 for instance:
https://www.basenotes.net/threads/2...en-one-his-projects-more-Is-there-an-additive
https://www.basenotes.net/threads/274584-Molecule-01-is-it-THAT-simple

Iso E (Tetramethyl acetyl octahydro naphthalenes)

Molecule 01 is different than Escentic 01.
My understanding, and I am happy to be corrected, is that the Molecule version is a particular isomer(s) only of Iso E in alcohol.
The Escentic version is great dosage of that Iso E isomer and other materials.

Do I think each of the Molecule fragrances contain more than just the advertised singular aroma chemical? YES

Dec 6, 2020
The Escentric Molecules horse has been beaten, run over by a train, thrown off a cliff, and hung in the harbor to strike fear in pirates. Still...I want to have my stab at this question. I am a dumb pirate haha. Don't hate me. But roll your eyes if you must.

I see a lot of folks in the Fragrance DIY forum saying "Molecule 02 is just ambroxan at ___%" or "I would never waste my money on Molecule 0whatever".

However...

I do hear other people saying "They advertise molecule 01 as having only IGS, but it is clear there are other aroma chemicals in there that aren't listed". People will say they can smell the difference between homemade molecule 04 and the original molecule 04. They say the former performs worse, doesn't get noticed as much, etc.

And so I ask the question: do you or don't you think each of the Molecule fragrances contain more than just the advertised singular aroma chemical?

What do you think, or know?

For reference:

Molecule 01= Iso gamma super
molecule 02= ambroxan
molecule 03= vetiveyrl acetate
molecule 04= javanol
molecule 05= cashmeran

There are two collections within the Escentric Molecules line up - one does feature a single AC in every fragrance, and another that expands on that theme with other materials. For example Molecule 04 is pure Javanol, but Escentric 04 is only 3% Javanol.

Molecule 01 you couldn't recreate yourself, as Iso G is a captive. It contains a high level of the gamma isomer, so Timbersilk will get you closer than Iso E Super will.

Molecule 02 is pure Ambroxan, at least in terms of the scent profile. There's also DPG and IPM, which are basically odorless (I can't smell them at all but apparently they do have a very feint odor). In my experience not all ambrox smells exactly the same, and I don't know which one is used here, but you can easily recreate this one at home.

Molecule 04 is pure Javanol (with some solvents). Again, easy to recreate.

I don't know about Molecule 03, and I've never smelled it so Ican't offer my opinion on it.

Jiangqi Su

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2020
I have samples of its molecule collection, and I can tell it is as advertised that one bottle only has one fragrance ingredient.

Also, I wanna mention the "not a perfume" by Juliette Has A Gun. They advertised that the cetalox is the only thing they used; but according to GCMS, there're lots of other things like iso e super and many types of musk, which I can also smell from it.

jameshillier

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 15, 2020
I can confirm that too, what a straight-up lie from that brand... I love the smell of Cetalox, but that perfume (yes, it is one!) has much more than plain Cetalox in it.

Latest News