Aramis JHL: Past and Present

MikeNY

Sep 30, 2009
I recently purchased a bottle of Aramis JHL and have really grown to respect it. It reminds me of a cross between Derby and Bois du Portugal at a reasonable price. I have read online that Estee Lauder created the scent specifically for her husband, whose initials were JHL. As beautiful as the fragrance is, I remain slightly incredulous to the fact that someone like Estee Lauder would create a scent that now goes for $50 bucks at Macy's when she pretty much has the beauty industry at her disposal to create virtually anything, at any cost.

With all due respect to this great frag, does anyone know the real story? And while we're at it, anyone care to share some thoughts on the fragrance itself?

Hamp

Sep 22, 2006
As someone else in a review described it, JHL is a "Holy Grail" fragrance. Absolutely wonderful! I used to wear Creed Royal English Leather as a "signature" scent, but JHL has replaced it for me. For $48 dollars, it is hard to beat.

Last edited:

mrcologneguy

Jan 2, 2009
I love it. Reminds me of my mom's Faberge Woodhue in the mid to late '60s. Smooth, rich, a little boozy. Only gripe is the lower-middle to basenotes seem a bit wimpy for something that comes on so strong. Still, a very good buy at that price point. And a pleasant wear, too.

On the other hand, one of my all-time favorite fragrance reviews says something like, "How clever of Estee Lauder, designing a fragrance for her husband that will chase away all other women."

OK, that's really funny.

Well, I still like it. Just keep it toned down - don't overspray - and you'll enjoy it now and then.

Last edited:

StewartGallacher

Feb 24, 2007
I like it a lot.

Estee Lauder's husband was Joseph H Lauder, so the JHL fragrance certainly bears his initials. The fragrance could well have been created for Mr Lauder's personal use before being put on the market. I don't think the fact that this fragrance is currently available at a reasonable price makes this story less likely - it has always struck me as a good quality fragrance, and once in mass production, the manufacturing cost per bottle would have decreased significantly. Of course, we can't discount the possibility that the fragrance was reformulated before being made generally available, and can't be sure that what we can now buy in the shops was exactly what Mr Lauder used.

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Aramis - JHL

Its stunning!

=====

How are the aldehydes from the top in the vintage version compared to the new version?

375x500.6491.jpg

OldSchoolScents

Jun 7, 2019
I would love to get my hands on a vintage bottle. I finally tracked down a reasonably priced bottle of the re-release because it's also tricky to find in Canada. Smells a lot like Youth Dew, Opium and Cinnabar - all favourites of my Grandma, however JHL smells more masculine than any of those. Smells a lot like a toned down, more gentlemanly version of PS Fine Cologne. Lots of cinnamon, carnation and aldehydes. Not as aldehydic as Aramis 900, but they share some similarities.

I love how the current version smells, but I'd love to experience the vintage.

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
I love the recent version too.
But I'm pretty sure the vintage version is better, even if, at this moment, I can't figure out how something like that it is even possible. I've been there before. :grin:
I would have blind bought the vintage version a long time ago, but I don't want to have an unpleasant surprise with the aldehydes. Not a big fan.
In the recent version the aldehydes are mild, perfectly balanced with the composition, they are not dominant.

Mikeaveli2682

Apr 18, 2018
I would love to get my hands on a vintage bottle. I finally tracked down a reasonably priced bottle of the re-release because it's also tricky to find in Canada. Smells a lot like Youth Dew, Opium and Cinnabar - all favourites of my Grandma, however JHL smells more masculine than any of those. Smells a lot like a toned down, more gentlemanly version of PS Fine Cologne. Lots of cinnamon, carnation and aldehydes. Not as aldehydic as Aramis 900, but they share some similarities.

You have described my impression of JHL exactly.

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Aramis - JHL

How are the aldehydes from the top in the vintage version compared to the new version?
(First impression from a single drop on skin)

The aldehydes are much smoother in the vintage version, although in the current version they are already mild.

The vintage completely lost the (pretty fine) petroleum tint from the beginning.
The spiced orange peel is outsanding.
And the carnation accord is vivid, not just a light clove.
In the first hour I get a tobacco impression.

The vintage JHL resembles the vintage version of YSL - Opium (pour femme)(minus the strong aldehydes from the beginning), but not so opulent.
The dry down is reminiscent of the vintage Bal a Versailles, minus the civet.

Awesome!

Staff online

Latest News