Arabic perfumes

Jack Hunter

Basenotes Institution
Jul 29, 2009
Amouage especially their oil attars which are a cut above the normal spray range.

I have seen cheap/affordable oils like 1001 nights from Ajmal and Marjan by Al Haramain but have no idea if they are good or bad and assumed the later as they were priced cheaply. I would like to explore them further but do not want to gamble blind with no info with my money with exotic arabian perfumes.

Baldini

Dec 20, 2011
Al-Rehab's Silver is actually really good, and many say a cheaper alternative to SMW. It's fairly linear, but projects well and lasts 6-8 hours on my skin. In the US, it can easily be found online for about $10 shipped for the 35ml bottle. That's what I consider a 'safe' blind buy.

Ursula

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 3, 2010
AL HARAMAIN - Attar Al Kaaba
AL HARAMAIN - Marwah
AL HARAMAIN - Haneen

All three oud perfume oil blends are delicious and easy on the Western nose. They can be bought at the reliable website www.zahras.com

Delivery from Saudi Arabia may take 3-4 weeks. This User is not affiliated with Zahras.

d4N13L

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 24, 2010
I really like Surrati (their oil homages are pretty, i mean PRETTY, damn good, with fantastic longevity and sillage for a medium price) Al Rehab (ultra low cost for medium quality fragrances and Al Haramain.

I dont know Ajmal really well, they are considered high quality but their line is HUGE and not much cheap.

senore01

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 11, 2012
I have also tried Al Rehab's Silver. It is very good with excellent longevity. Reminds me of Creed's Silver Mountain Water.

lasta

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Haven't gone too deep into the middle-eastern perfumery but I have two bottles of Al Haramains. The al Khaleej is sweet and dense, a bit like tobacco vanille (no tobacco) and Mukhallat 2003 is your run of the mill rose-oud.

stevolution

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 11, 2006
I have 4 Al Haramain scents, 2 from Surrati and a bunch of samples.

From Al Haramain,

Al Mafuz: This is my favorite of all. It's very warm and musky. It dries down to a peppery rose. I've gotten loads of compliments on this one.

Mena: This one is very bright, sweet, somewhat fresh. It's also very fruity. Puts out a big presence, especially during summer.

Barakah: Floral, somewhat soapy. I detect a tea-like note, also. I don't wear this one much, but I should. It's a bit formal for everyday. I really love the cut glass bottle and navy blue velvet box it comes in.

Mukhallat 2001: Think of a "dark" white musk with a little agarwood. The liquid has gold flakes in it.

From Surrrati,

Oudy Woody: I don't wear this one too much. It's very abrasive by itself and may be suited for layering. Gets extremely musty. Think "Eau de Musty Closet".

Dehn oudh Malaki: I thought this stunk when I first received it....a definite mistake! I wore it anyway and became addicted to it! Its now one of my most cherished fragrances. Can't wait to try it in cooler weather. A very dark viscous oil.

Ward Taifi: Bright, tart, citrus-y roses. Very nice own it's own, or layered with other oils.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
So far, most enjoyed (therefore recommending/second as the likeliest choices among these) in no further particular order and also with no preference towards one single specific house alone, especially:

- Zeus EDP by Kelsey Berwin,

- ASAQ including but not limited to Al Hajjar Al Aswad,

- Dakar, Sultan, Kahliji and Superman by Al Rehab

- indeed Silver but aslo Mystique Homme by Al Haramain

- Tasmeem by Rasasi

among the quite numerous but still too little varied-at least compared to the variety and richness of possible scent choices from these very brands- tested so far.

ascotnot

Jul 11, 2014
Most of what I wear along these lines is Swiss Arabian, generally leathers and ouds. At one time I bought several of the Al-Rehab oils but never really did anything with them other than scenting glycerin soaps. I have a few clones from Armaf and Al-Haramain as well.

DeathArrow

Dec 25, 2022
A great one which I wear today for the first time is Ajmal Verde. It is very green and refreshing and unlike most oriental and middle eastern perfumes, I can't smell oud, rose and it isn't sweet at all.

It's worth testing if you can.

helo5enc3wkv.jpg

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
Al-Rehab's Silver is actually really good, and many say a cheaper alternative to SMW. It's fairly linear, but projects well and lasts 6-8 hours on my skin. In the US, it can easily be found online for about $10 shipped for the 35ml bottle. That's what I consider a 'safe' blind buy.
Personally, for me (M38) found it much more enjoyable and wearable than SMW. A little spice/cedary woody thing going on. If there was a better quality version that'd be awesome. P.s I have the oil, perhaps the spray EDT/EDP versions feel more accomplished or have the "polished" finish?

Either way nice stuff!

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
Lol Re original post, for some deep down reason that needs unpacking, have an aversion to M.E/Arabian juice. Too strong? Too heavy handed... Guess ideal to sniff more!

Not much experience with the clone type mE houses and any of their original offerings.

DeathArrow

Dec 25, 2022
Lol Re original post, for some deep down reason that needs unpacking, have an aversion to M.E/Arabian juice. Too strong? Too heavy handed... Guess ideal to sniff more!

Not much experience with the clone type mE houses and any of their original offerings.
I you like oud or roses or very, very sweet fragrances there are a lot. If you don't, then there are some good ones but it will take some work to find them. I personally don't mind oud or roses, but if find it boring to smell lots of perfumes that are similar. As for sweetness, I can't stand it.

Here are a couple of ideas:

Fougere-like:
Al Rehab Lord
Al Rehab Dakar

Chypre like, fresh
Ajmal Verde

Woody, fresh
Rasasi Egra

Fresh
Al Rehab Zidan
Al Rehab Sultan

Gourmand and a bit sweet
Swiss Arabian Oud Abyad

Amber
Orientica Amber Nuit

Aquatic
Orientica Waterfall

Aventus
Armaf, Club de Nuit Intense Men

Leather and oud, animalic
Rasasi Faqat Lil Rijal

Skanky, animalic
Al Haramain Oud Cambodi Intense

Leather
Rasasi La Yuqawam Homme
Louis Varel Extreme Mukhalat

Woody
Afnan Patchouli On Fire

edit:
If you like stuff like Baccarat ROuge, Chergui, Tobacco Vanille, Black Orchid, Tobacco Vanille - there are tones of middle eastern perfumes like that, but I don't know any because I was not interested in them. Also tones of things in the style of Bleu de Chanel, Sauvage, One Million.

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
I you like oud or roses or very, very sweet fragrances there are a lot. If you don't, then there are some good ones but it will take some work to find them. I personally don't mind oud or roses, but if find it boring to smell lots of perfumes that are similar. As for sweetness, I can't stand it.

Here are a couple of ideas:

Fougere-like:
Al Rehab Lord
Al Rehab Dakar

Chypre like, fresh
Ajmal Verde

Woody, fresh
Rasasi Egra

Fresh
Al Rehab Zidan
Al Rehab Sultan

Gourmand and a bit sweet
Swiss Arabian Oud Abyad

Amber
Orientica Amber Nuit

Aquatic
Orientica Waterfall

Aventus
Armaf, Club de Nuit Intense Men

Leather and oud, animalic
Rasasi Faqat Lil Rijal

Skanky, animalic
Al Haramain Oud Cambodi Intense

Leather
Rasasi La Yuqawam Homme
Louis Varel Extreme Mukhalat
Wah! Awesome lol someone else done the hard work of filtering for me! That's great, a starting point thank you 👍

rickkkkky

Basenotes Member
Sep 26, 2021
Arabian Oud is without a doubt my favourite arabian house.

Thus far, I've sampled
  • Amiri
  • Al Fareed
  • Kalemat Black
  • Majestic Woody Intense
  • Arabian Knight Silver
  • Resala
  • Aseel
  • Kashmir Musk
  • Sultani
...and have enjoyed each and every scent thoroughly. Amiri and Al Fareed so much so that I ended up buying full bottles.

Oh, and these scents are nuclear.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...