Apres L"Ondée EDT (Legendary Fragrances Collection), 2021

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
At last, Apres L"Ondée EDT in the inverted heart-capped spray bottle is available in the US as part of Guerlain's Legendary Fragrances collection. My attempts to order direct from the Champs Elysées boutique became so unnerving (translation and credit card issues) that I decided to wait for the US debut. As of this month, the new bottle can be purchased in the US through Guerlain's website and at their Las Vegas boutique (and perhaps other locations, I'm not sure).

I must say, the wait was worth it. My bottle arrived yesterday, beautifully packaged (as always) by Guerlain, and the fragrance is lovely. It lasts longer on me than my bee bottle EDT from 2016, though according to some reviews on Fragrantica, it has not been reformulated. If it has (and I think that it actually might have been), Thierry Wasser did a very good job with it. It doesn't smell much different from my vintage 70s bottles - except that the fragrance in the new inverted-heart bottle, while delicate, lasts for hours and the vintage EDTs are virtually undetectable after an hour or two (not to mention the fact that their topnotes are missing, as would be expected). This new bottle smells and performs almost...almost...like an EDP on me.

Anyway, I'm entirely satisfied and that came as a pleasant surprise, since I mainly bought it for the bottle design. If you love Apres L'Ondée, you might want to consider a purchase. At $110 US for 75ml, I think it's quite reasonably priced. And the bottle suits its romantic nature, in a way that (for me) the bee bottle does not.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
Thanks for the info and good to know about the longevity - I never would have thought the new version performed so well. I have a vintage bottle of EDT from the 1990’s (gold and black box) and while the fragrance is one of the most beautiful I’ve ever smelled, longevity is really an issue which is why I don’t wear it more often.

I’m really hoping the new bouchon-coeur bottles will be available in Canada as I’d love to have a current bottle of Apres l’Ondée. Huge shout out to Guerlain as well for bringing this masterpiece back into larger distribution again.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Well, this is good news for ALO lovers!
Fragrance perception being as extraordinarily subjective as it is, I hesitated to say it...but yes, I think ALO lovers will be pleasantly surprised. In recent years, Guerlains and Carons have been such disappointments to me that, while I was willing to give ALO a chance, my expectations were at best neutral. I almost posted yesterday, but decided I'd better doublecheck my impressions after a night and a shower. Still happy. :)

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I'm glad this one is available again without paying eBay inflated prices. I notice that there's no Jicky EDT anymore.
Yes, eBay prices are insane for AOL, especially the extrait - last time I checked, over $1000 (up to $2000) for a full bottle. And the vintage EDTs go for almost $300 for unboxed bottles and testers. I wonder why Guerlain doesn't make a Jicky EDT, since many people love that one.

strifeknot

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 28, 2008
I've come close to paying a lot for a vintage bottle, so it's a relief to hear that the latest release is good and now available in the US. Can't wait to try it.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I've come close to paying a lot for a vintage bottle, so it's a relief to hear that the latest release is good and now available in the US. Can't wait to try it.
I hear you! There was a time when I would have paid a lot for a full sealed of ALO extrait, but I held back because I knew I wouldn't have been able to cut the cord. it's hard doing that on any sealed vintage extrait, but AOL - yikes! :shocked:

cpatrick44

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 7, 2020
At last, Apres L"Ondée EDT in the inverted heart-capped spray bottle is available in the US as part of Guerlain's Legendary Fragrances collection. My attempts to order direct from the Champs Elysées boutique became so unnerving (translation and credit card issues) that I decided to wait for the US debut. As of this month, the new bottle can be purchased in the US through Guerlain's website and at their Las Vegas boutique (and perhaps other locations, I'm not sure).

I must say, the wait was worth it. My bottle arrived yesterday, beautifully packaged (as always) by Guerlain, and the fragrance is lovely. It lasts longer on me than my bee bottle EDT from 2016, though according to some reviews on Fragrantica, it has not been reformulated. If it has (and I think that it actually might have been), Thierry Wasser did a very good job with it. It doesn't smell much different from my vintage 70s bottles - except that the fragrance in the new inverted-heart bottle, while delicate, lasts for hours and the vintage EDTs are virtually undetectable after an hour or two (not to mention the fact that their topnotes are missing, as would be expected). This new bottle smells and performs almost...almost...like an EDP on me.

Anyway, I'm entirely satisfied and that came as a pleasant surprise, since I mainly bought it for the bottle design. If you love Apres L'Ondée, you might want to consider a purchase. At $110 US for 75ml, I think it's quite reasonably priced. And the bottle suits its romantic nature, in a way that (for me) the bee bottle does not.

Thanks very much for this update! Does whatever they did to increase the longevity change the scent profile otherwise? This is my all-time favorite. I've never really minded the evanescence because part of the beauty of the thing was that it was fleeting; I just hope that whatever they've done to boost longevity hasn't affected the other notes.

cpatrick44

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 7, 2020
Oh interesting. I wonder what aspect? The main note I detect in the extrait that is not in the edt is that anise. Surely wouldn't mind having it!

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Does whatever they did to increase the longevity change the scent profile otherwise? This is my all-time favorite. I've never really minded the evanescence because part of the beauty of the thing was that it was fleeting; I just hope that whatever they've done to boost longevity hasn't affected the other notes.
I am now positive that this has been reformulated, because I could actually smell a single spritz on my arm after a night's sleep. 24 hours of Apres L'Ondee is unheard-of with any formulation of the EDT I know of. This current version maintains all ALO's delicious notes, in exactly the proportion we're used to, except tht the anise isn't noticeable to me - but that was always a brief topnote shimmer, anyway. The new EDT is creamier, richer, and yes, more like extrait or EDP than an EDT.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
Although I'm not too big a fan of Wasser's creative work for Guerlain it cannot be understated both his dedication, and the brand's resolve to keep the classic Guerlain line alive and healthy.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Although I'm not too big a fan of Wasser's creative work for Guerlain it cannot be understated both his dedication, and the brand's resolve to keep the classic Guerlain line alive and healthy.
I agree. I'm not impressed by Guerlain's new offerings, but whereas some venerable houses have opted to discontinue classics rather than try to approximate them in this era of restrictions and regulations (which I completely understand), Guerlain and Wasser deserve a lot of credit for maintaining the house's historic line. As delicate as ALO has always been, I'm stunned that the new bottle smells so good.

saminlondon

Aug 25, 2011
This is very good news indeed, and corresponds with what I've read elsewhere. I must try it soon.

i agree, especially where the women's line is concerned. On the men's side, however, I can't bring myself to accept the recent axing of Derby and (it seems) Mouchoir de Monsieur. I thought the endless flankers and pink juices were keeping the classics alive?

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I was indeed curious how the heliotropin fares in this version. That was one of the most important banned ingredients. Iris has not been banned yet.
cacio

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018

I agree. I'm not impressed by Guerlain's new offerings, but whereas some venerable houses have opted to discontinue classics rather than try to approximate them in this era of restrictions and regulations (which I completely understand), Guerlain and Wasser deserve a lot of credit for maintaining the house's historic line. As delicate as ALO has always been, I'm stunned that the new bottle smells so good.

Since Guerlain is not a perfume house anymore, but only a brand of LVMH luxury group, it is my belief that the only reason why they maintain a product in production is because it sells, more than the love for the brand.

A good example is Mouchoir de Monsieur, a classic of Guerlain that has not been transferred to the new heart bottle, and still appears on the website in the bee bottle, but is out-of-stock. My guess is that they discontinued it because it was a low seller for men, and was probably canibilizing Jicky, which is a women's bestseller, selling also to men.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Since Guerlain is not a perfume house anymore, but only a brand of LVMH luxury group, it is my belief that the only reason why they maintain a product in production is because it sells, more than the love for the brand.

A good example is Mouchoir de Monsieur, a classic of Guerlain that has not been transferred to the new heart bottle, and still appears on the website in the bee bottle, but is out-of-stock. My guess is that they discontinued it because it was a low seller for men, and was probably canibilizing Jicky, which is a women's bestseller, selling also to men.
Yes, most of the great houses have been devoured by the LVMH brand (or similar conglomerates), important corners have been cut, counterproductive and counterintuitive moves made, but within that sphere of corporate control - which is now inescapable - there are still some unexpected bright spots, and individuals continue struggling to do their best. I decry the many losses burdening the perfume world, and have complained as vociferously as anyone, which makes successes like the new AOL all the more surprising and special to me.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Yes, most of the great houses have been devoured by the LVMH brand (or similar conglomerates), important corners have been cut, counterproductive and counterintuitive moves made, but within that sphere of corporate control - which is now inescapable - there are still some unexpected bright spots, and individuals continue struggling to do their best. I decry the many losses burdening the perfume world, and have complained as vociferously as anyone, which makes successes like the new AOL all the more surprising and special to me.

That's true. I agree that Guerlain has not been hit very hard yet from that point of view. Even if Mouchoir de Monsieur, was, together with Vetiver, my favourite fragrance of Guerlain. Glad I could put my hands on a 100ml bee bottle for a decent price, way before they started the discontinuation/rebottling thing.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I was indeed curious how the heliotropin fares in this version. That was one of the most important banned ingredients. Iris has not been banned yet.
cacio
I would say the heliotropin has been toned down, but it's still present and blended in a lovely way. If I didn't know that someone was wearing AOL, and caught a whiff of it, I would instantly recognize it.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
This is very good news indeed, and corresponds with what I've read elsewhere. I must try it soon.
Sam, I bought a backup bottle yesterday, which at my age I'll probably never need - but if this current formula is compromised in the future, I don't want to kick myself for holding back.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Thank you very much for your review! Have ordered a bottle from Guerlain. I am also very curious about new Nahema, considering ordering it from feelunique.
Right! I'm curious about several of the new bottles, since AOL has been such a pleasant surprise...maybe not curious enough to buy, at this point, but certainly enough to entertain the idea. I usually opt for vintage in the case of classics, but when that option is limited, it's good for me to be reminded that not all reformulations are deplorable. :wink:

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Good to know that a bit of heliotropin is still detectable. That I think was an important contributor to the fresh but hazy, cloudy aura of Apres l'ondee.

cacio

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Good to know that a bit of heliotropin is still detectable. That I think was an important contributor to the fresh but hazy, cloudy aura of Apres l'ondee.

cacio
Yes, indeed. That's one of the greatest losses to the world of perfumery, and it's one of reasons I've hesitated to buy a new L'Heure Bleue - even though I've heard it's pretty good (considering). You won't experience the full heliotropin haze with AOL, but I think you'll still recognize the family resemblance...its shape will be there, even though the form's attenuated.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019

Don't be too quick to jump to conclusions. Lots of perfumes we know aren't discontinued are out of stock for brands all across the board.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Today, I'm picking up anise and more spice, also more heliotropin. I think that this one must take a few days after the initial sprays to unlock itself - I've noticed this with other perfumes, especially Guerlains (and Chanels). I'm a light sprayer - one or two spritzes at a time.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I sampled the current EDT last year and the vintage extrait... and the EDT was just woeful. The vintage extrait was beautiful.
I'll have to make my way to the Guerlain shop to check it out! :smiley:
The vintage extrait must be glorious, you and mikeperez23 are so fortunate to have it. I've never read a single discouraging word about it.

I agree, the EDT before this current one was awful, so weak it wasn't worth the cost of materials.

Lilly33

Oct 20, 2012
Wow this is amazing news! Après L'Ondée was the first scent I fell in love with when I began my serious perfume adventure, and it remains so. I have the bee bottle and a back-up as well as a bottle of the 1990s cologne, but your review is tempting me to buy the new formulation.

Latest News