Anyone tried either of the two new Acqua di Parma scents yet?

Stinky Pete

Nov 11, 2013
I'm a big Acqua di Parma fan, but after being a little disappointed by the last couple of AdP releases (Colonia:Club and Colonia: Quercia) I've decided to stop blind-buying them.

I have never been able to try the Harrod's exclusive (Colonia Sandalo), so was excited to see not one, but two new fragrances announced earlier this year:

Colonia Ebano and Colonia Mirra .

In the past week or so, I see these have popped up a couple of places online (Bloomingdales for Ebano, Barney's for Mirra- ebay for both) and I'm wondering if anyone has come across them and been able to sample? I don't have physical access to either of these stores and am hungry for opinions.

any impressions/opinions of either scent are greatly appreciated!

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
More info here:

[h=1]by Acqua Di Parma[/h]
flagNewen.png
mirra.jpg

[h=2]EAU DE COLOGNE CONCENTREE - 100ML[/h]PRICE: 177.00 €

[h=3]Product description Colonia Mirra - Acqua Di Parma :[/h] This eau de cologne offers an unpublished mixture, where the notes of citrus fruits of Colonia become allied to the hot and aromatic notes of the myrrh, the mystic and precious ingredient.

Top notes: Nutmeg
Heart notes: Oil of myrrh
Base notes: Patchouly

Cyrus Smith

Nov 10, 2015
I tried Mirra. The store I go to received it today but they didn't have any tester... but a small vial left by the rep.
A tiny dab on my wrist and... very nice. It instantly made me think of Armani's Myrrhe Impériale but more discreet and less, less sweet. From the tiny dab I could't really feel the usual citrus Colonia opening, but a beautiful and subtle resinous warmth that seemed to go a little in an amber direction after some time. I have to make a proper try, but from what I got... very interesting!

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I tried Mirra. The store I go to received it today but they didn't have any tester... but a small vial left by the rep.
A tiny dab on my wrist and... very nice. It instantly made me think of Armani's Myrrhe Impériale but more discreet and less, less sweet. From the tiny dab I could't really feel the usual citrus Colonia opening, but a beautiful and subtle resinous warmth that seemed to go a little in an amber direction after some time. I have to make a proper try, but from what I got... very interesting!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one.

pippin06

Feb 8, 2017
Sounds nice! But I am light years behind you fellas. I am still dreaming about acquiring Colonia and perhaps another of the classics in this line for summer.

Stinky Pete

Nov 11, 2013
Cyrus, thanks for sharing your thoughts on Mirra. as far as I have heard, you are the first person to smell it!

as for me- so much for "no more blind buying AdP" ...

There is someone on ebay selling 10ml samples of Mirra, (so I picked up a couple of decants of that) and my order of Ebano from Bloomingdale's should be in tomorrow- and very luckily, I have a friend currently visiting London- I don't know the laws about bringing perfume back on the plane, but if all goes well, I will have the Harrod's exclusive Sandalo sometime next week.

Mythrol

Jun 28, 2015
Cyrus, thanks for sharing your thoughts on Mirra. as far as I have heard, you are the first person to smell it!

as for me- so much for "no more blind buying AdP" ...

There is someone on ebay selling 10ml samples of Mirra, (so I picked up a couple of decants of that) and my order of Ebano from Bloomingdale's should be in tomorrow- and very luckily, I have a friend currently visiting London- I don't know the laws about bringing perfume back on the plane, but if all goes well, I will have the Harrod's exclusive Sandalo sometime next week.

You are allowed to bring fragrances back as long as they are declared and in your checked bags. I have done so in the past. You might have to pay import taxes after a certain amount but you can bring several hundreds of dollars worth back before any tax, unless something has drastically changed recently.

AntonPan

May 8, 2008
Available in Russia for a month, tried them. Nothing really special, typical niche fragrances. Much better than Quercia.
Ebano is on heavy, strong side, Mirra is smoother and sweeter.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
Available in Russia for a month, tried them. Nothing really special, typical niche fragrances. Much better than Quercia.
Ebano is on heavy, strong side, Mirra is smoother and sweeter.

Can you describe Ebano perhaps? Is it similar to something well known?

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011

I hear that this one is now exclusive to Selfridges though I have seen it on a few online sites. Cyrus, your description sounds very appealing, so I'm going to try and hunt it down.

Is anyone aware of samples of this being available anywhere? (Ideally in the UK).

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I hear that this one is now exclusive to Selfridges though I have seen it on a few online sites. Cyrus, your description sounds very appealing, so I'm going to try and hunt it down.

Is anyone aware of samples of this being available anywhere? (Ideally in the UK).

I managed to give this a go. It's certainly a lot stronger than some of the other scents in the 'ingredients' range. The myrrh is quite muted, but once it dries down (on paper at least), I get a similar myrrh note to Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (the version I had tried previous was the 2015). I couldn't help but notice the similarities. Obviously, Dior and AdP are owned by LVMH so they are really the same company below the surface. All in all, I would find it very hard to justify a purchase Mirra, given the price point and similarities to ESP. It can be had at a slight discount from AllBeauty.

I think the best in the range for me is Ambra perhaps. The opening is superb. The rose note in the opening is great. It's a shame about the amount of norlimbanol used in the dry down and the poor longevity of the scent overall.

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Nov 11, 2013
calzim said:
So what do you think of it?

neither my nose or my taste is as sophisticated as some around these forums- but I like it.

It's mostly Ebony, (which is a new note for me) honey and resin with something herbal floating around in there. Thankfully no tonka bean I can detect.

it is strong, but to me it is strong in a non aggressive way. It doesn't seek you out across the room and assault you, it sits closer to the skin.

When my friend brought Sandalo back from Harrod's for me, they included a sample of Ebano. I already had my bottle by then, but it is good to know that samples are out there now for those interested. I like Ebano enough though, that If I had smelled the sample first, I still would have bought the bottle.

Last edited:

U2u

Jul 26, 2014
Holt Renfrew Yorkdale has testers and samples for both. I have now had a chance to wear both and will be buying them in future. Presently recovering from a Pearl Oud purchase. Ought to have checked out Acqua Di Parma first. Both are rather strong, well blended, and very pleasing. I have Leather and Oud and think these have the potential to surpass them. Mirra is outstanding with tremendous staying power, Ebano not so much but still better than most. If you are a fan of Acqua Di Parma you will probably be pleased. Priced the same as the older members of the collection.

crashtestbrummie

Dec 14, 2016
I've got a sample of the Mirra which I'll try out properly later this week, maybe tomorrow.

I tried it instore and my first impression was it had some similarities to Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense; both share notes of myrrh and patchouli. The Mirra swaps out vanilla for nutmeg but the overall impression on my skin was close to the Prada.

I'll do a side by side comparison at some point and see what I think then.

Lovescully

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 2, 2010
When I was visiting Hawaii in March I sampled then immediately purchased a full bottle of Ebano. It's a fairly unique smell with the combination of honey and deep dark wood, but if I had to liken it to another scent I know it would be Robert Piguet's Bois Noir. Although they are different, they do have some similarities in that there is an initial sweetness followed by a very dark wood. I see that it's copped a bit of a sledging over at fragrantica, but I really like it. It'll be perfect for the coming Australian Winter.

Davem81

Jul 26, 2011
I've got a sample of the Mirra which I'll try out properly later this week, maybe tomorrow.

I tried it instore and my first impression was it had some similarities to Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense; both share notes of myrrh and patchouli. The Mirra swaps out vanilla for nutmeg but the overall impression on my skin was close to the Prada.

I'll do a side by side comparison at some point and see what I think then.

After the opening, which I like a lot, I'm getting nothing but 'Tom Ford Noir' in this...did you notice any similarity?

HFMIII

Nov 29, 2016
Just received Colonia Mirra today and wearing it for the first time. After the initial blast I was reminded of something, but couldn't put my finger on it at first.

Then I grabbed my Dior Prive Patchouli Imperial and smelled the atomizer. Yup VERY similar patchouli note except softer in Mirra. I had to wonder if Demachy had a hand in this as he has done a number of these for the house (LVMH and all). According to Parfumo he was one of the noses behind it.

Overall, so far I like the composition. As it dries it becomes a slightly sweet, resinous myrrh. I can understand why some might be disappointed if the were expecting something along the lines of Eau Sauvage Parfum.

This could have easily been a part of the Dior Prive line. A thumbs up from me.

Latest News