Anyone here ever try out Hawthorne?

eustoma

Sep 1, 2015
Just found out about this site through a blog I was going through. Basically it's a somewhat new company but they actually work with perfumers who created scents just for their brand. You take a survey and then they send you two scents, one for work and one for play. It's $100 which is a bit pricey for me atm, otherwise I would have gone for it.

Was wondering if anyone here has tried it out? I tried googling but didn't really find much. The site looks really nice, and the concept intriguing, which might be why I wanted to try it out so much lol.

If you guys want to check it out, the site is here: https://hawthorneformen.com/

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Have never tried it out, but just now took the time to go through the questions to see what they suggested for me! Thanks for sharing the link.

SIMMDK

Mar 1, 2016
I'm actually surprised many people have not heard of it. I see ads for it everywhere in my area.
A survey, niche scents, quality ingredients, two 50mL bottles for $100...Hawthorne definitely has an interesting concept and marketing plan. Supposedly, they have 3 master perfumers that have made 10 fragrances. Hawthorne uses the survey answers to send you 1 fragrance for "Work" & 1 fragrance for "Play." All of the 10 perfumes are bottled as Work or Play, which makes it rather annoying to find out what the other fragrances are supposed to smell like. The only hint is a note on the back of the bottle that mentions the perfumer and the type of scent.

My Work is Woody & Fresh and my Play is Smoky & Woody. I used the questions on the survey to find things that are supposed to affect the chemical balances of fragrances with my own skin. They definetly are worth a try, I like my Play slightly better than my Work better, probably due to the fact that its not as "safe." My Work smells rather nostalgic of barber shops yet modern. It might just be me but My Play has a Diptyque Philosykos feel to it. I do wish Hawthorne up their game in marketing as well as released more information on the available fragrances and notes.

jalexhrovat

Jun 4, 2008
I actually just received my order from Hawthorne a couple days ago. Based on my input I received a "citrus marine" fragrance for "Work" and a "citrus symphony" for Play. Packaging is top notch and the fragrances are very good. The following is the customized description card that came with the packaging: "Your WORK is an intricate citrus marine sandalwood with juniper, basil and hedione made by award-winning Tom Ford perfumer, Olivier Gillotin. Your PLAY is a 'citrus symphony' violetwood with neroli, tangerine, petitgrain, and vetiver made by the "King of Citrus" and your Clinique Happy creator, Rodrigo Flores-Roux."

jlieu

Oct 8, 2017
Just signed up here to respond about the post.

I haven't tried Hawthorne and, like you guys, was looking for more info about it.

For those curious, I primarily wear BVLGARI AQVA pour Homme. Otherwise, I had previously used Very Sexy 2 for Men and Kenneth Cole Reaction (Green liquid...forgot the exact details...didn't use this one very long).

I tried it a few times with slightly varying answers since I was on the border for some. I ended up with Fresh & Aquatic for Work / Aromatic & Warm for Play.

eaubama

Feb 21, 2006
They come up with Limited Editions once in a while and I thought the quality is top-notch especially the most recent Leather.

Joe_Frances

Nov 24, 2005
I just went through the ten questions, and bought the two scents. I am looking forward to seeing what they come with for me. Anyone else have any commentary on the experience, and reactions to the fragrances received?

Joe_Frances

Nov 24, 2005
jlieu,

So did you get the fragrances? Did you like them? Do you wear them? I am getting mine soon, so I am wondering about your experience.

JF

Joe_Frances

Nov 24, 2005
I actually just received my order from Hawthorne a couple days ago. Based on my input I received a "citrus marine" fragrance for "Work" and a "citrus symphony" for Play. Packaging is top notch and the fragrances are very good. The following is the customized description card that came with the packaging: "Your WORK is an intricate citrus marine sandalwood with juniper, basil and hedione made by award-winning Tom Ford perfumer, Olivier Gillotin. Your PLAY is a 'citrus symphony' violetwood with neroli, tangerine, petitgrain, and vetiver made by the "King of Citrus" and your Clinique Happy creator, Rodrigo Flores-Roux."

And? Do you like the fragrances?

maduhbee

Jan 13, 2019
And? Do you like the fragrances?

Just got my hawthorne fragrances. I was really skeptical about it at first, and it does somewhat remind me of something I smelled before (something that I sampled) I told them some of my favorite lines, and they catered something more to my liking. The best part about the whole thing is that they didn't charge me any shipping, and that return shipping (if I do not like what I received) is on them! I had EVERY intention on returning them... But my PDM Layton Exclusif is somewhat running low (even though I just got it -- can't really tell how much is left -- just feels low without that huge heavy cap) and my TF FF is worn on rare occasions. My "work" fragrance seems to be more of an every day type of deal, and I'm still trying it out this week... It's not mind blowing to me like when I first smelled Layton Exclusif (which made me buy it) but it's pleasant and different in it's own right. Gonna sample it more throughout the week (haven't tried my play yet) But the dry down on my work is quite nice.

Joe_Frances

Nov 24, 2005
I received my two bottles of fragrance one called "Work" and the other "Play". Strangely, to me "Work" smells more like play to me in that it is lighter, more casual and mildly acquatic; and the "Play" smells more like work, in that it seems a bit heavier and "serious"-- but not in a bad way. I think they are both pretty good, but I do agree with maduhbee in that they do remind me of other things I have smelled, but they are not purely derivative. It's going to take awhile to sort these out, but they are good, maybe very good. Of coursey they will not be possible to really review because each formulation is at least somewhat unique to the customer, and not a standard issue product. What you would get would not be what I got. Still it was fun to do and find out what my answers to the questions got me in the way of two mens' fragrances. I sort of thing the "Play" one will be a long term regular in my rotation.

Giantbirdo

Aug 23, 2014
I received my two bottles of fragrance one called "Work" and the other "Play". Strangely, to me "Work" smells more like play to me in that it is lighter, more casual and mildly acquatic; and the "Play" smells more like work, in that it seems a bit heavier and "serious"-- but not in a bad way. I think they are both pretty good, but I do agree with maduhbee in that they do remind me of other things I have smelled, but they are not purely derivative. It's going to take awhile to sort these out, but they are good, maybe very good. Of coursey they will not be possible to really review because each formulation is at least somewhat unique to the customer, and not a standard issue product. What you would get would not be what I got. Still it was fun to do and find out what my answers to the questions got me in the way of two mens' fragrances. I sort of thing the "Play" one will be a long term regular in my rotation.

I also just tried it out and was surprised. The work fragrance I received was called a marine sandalwood, it’s calone forward, pear, juniper and slightly marine, it’s just ok to me, I would have liked some citrus. Smells like it’s probably a variant of an Eternity Summer from a couple of years ago, esp since the same perfumer also did that one. My play fragrance was called spicy aromatic, it’s a LADDM dupe, enough said.

Other takeaways, the cost of $1/ml is good considering the concentration of oil in these fragrances. If someone could wear more than two sprays I’d like to meet that guy as these are very strong, I suspect as I read more about this brand that most of these fragrances are probably very similar in smell to popular niche scents, that have been simplified and overdosed with naturals. I like some other members would love to sniff the other ones.

Joe_Frances

Nov 24, 2005
I agree totally with Brother Giantbirdo, it would be fab to be able to smell the "Work" and "Play" fragrances that others got.

Giantbirdo

Aug 23, 2014
Through a friend I was able to try two additional fragrances, one was smoky woody and woody aromatic. Smoky woody smells exactly like Malin Goetz Dark Rum with a smoke opening that lasts seconds. Woody Aromatic is a blue de Chanel dupe. I’m guessing this house dupes all their fragrances from popular scents, maybe it’s because they can’t afford an original composition or maybe they feel their value is in picking the scent, All the scents smelled of quality like the original but the slight difference is they feel simpler like they stripped them down to the principle components. FWIW that’s my uninformed take.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
Yeah, I've always wondered if it's all really 'custom' fragrance or you just get clumped into a category based on what you click on and they send you something that mimics other popular fragrances.
This latest example seems blatant.

ziffy321

Dec 20, 2004
I received 5 samples from them before deciding on "warm and aromatic" from their "Play" collection. I really like it . smells a lot like D&G The One.

MFfan310

Jun 19, 2004
I tried their bath soap, and I found it overpriced when I can find better brands like Saponifico Varesino and Castelbel at T.J. Maxx/Marshalls or Nesti Dante from various e-commerce sources for a fraction of the price.

Giantbirdo

Aug 23, 2014
Not surprised, I tried their deodorant and it was a joke. The fragrances have been awesome, the aventus and sandal clones are very good. My favorites have been a smoky floral/chamomile scent and an earthy/palo santo scent. I’ve also loved their candles, byredo quality for 50% the price.

3rdfitzgerald

May 26, 2020
We aren't talking about all fragrances. I'm using logic to say that it's an easy bet. Which it is. It's not hard to see. What are you, playing devil's advocate?
And you know what note I'm talking about, so by this admission, you agree it's a clone.

They only share two notes.. I know you couldn't have meant the musk considering half the creed line uses musk and ambergris in the base.

My only gripe is with saturated use of the term clone. If it can literally be attributed to any fragrance sharing only 1 or 2 notes, basically all fragrances could be considered a clone of some other fragrance that predates them.

Splitting hairs perhaps

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
They only share two notes.. I know you couldn't have meant the musk considering half the creed line uses musk and ambergris in the base.

My only gripe is with saturated use of the term clone. If it can literally be attributed to any fragrance sharing only 1 or 2 notes, basically all fragrances could be considered a clone of some other fragrance that predates them.

Splitting hairs perhaps

I know what you mean. If it were a different brand than Hawthorne and we didn't have a marketing picture to look at, I'd be right there with you. If you look at Hawthorne's other scents, they've covered all their bases in terms of things they 'mimic' in popular fragrance categories and/or successes. I had assumed for a long time that they would put out something to mimic Aventus.

Giantbirdo

Aug 23, 2014

Splitting hairs perhaps

Their pineapple and musk scent smells like aventus. No idea about the inclusion of the other notes but to be fair, I cant recognize the apple and vanilla supposedly in aventus either.

3rdfitzgerald

May 26, 2020
I know what you mean. If it were a different brand than Hawthorne and we didn't have a marketing picture to look at, I'd be right there with you. If you look at Hawthorne's other scents, they've covered all their bases in terms of things they 'mimic' in popular fragrance categories and/or successes. I had assumed for a long time that they would put out something to mimic Aventus.
I definitely with you though that Hawthorne has made sure to hit as many of the popular fragrance categories as they can (so far they seem to have done a very good job for the price)

I never saw any promotional material for Aventus so I had no idea that this ones marketing mimics that, which might play a big factor in it.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
I definitely with you though that Hawthorne has made sure to hit as many of the popular fragrance categories as they can (so far they seem to have done a very good job for the price)

I never saw any promotional material for Aventus so I had no idea that this ones marketing mimics that, which might play a big factor in it.

Maybe I'm all alone here, lol, but anytime someone says smoky pineapple I will be thinking about either Aventus or really shitty pizza toppings.

Red Hawk

Dec 4, 2019
Hey, so a bit over a year and a half ago Hawthorne's advertising on Facebook caught my attention. I had never used fragrance before - I had like one cologne I had been gifted in high school, and only used it like once or twice in a year. Long story short. Hawthorne was my gateway drug to fragrance. They do have a quiz that matches you with one of their selection of fragrances as a "work" scent and one as a "play" scent. The quiz may seem gimmicky but it really did help get me interested in buying as someone who was completely new to fragrance. I've kept picking up Hawthorne frags, but have since branched out to buying other fragrances, I have a collection of over 50 frags now, but 10 of those are Hawthornes.

But Hawthorne hardly gets any attention on the 'net! I think they are a solid "house" with a good thing going. They make a big point about the three perfumers they have creating fragrances for them - well known names like Olivier Gillotin, the nose behind Tobacco Vanille, or Rodrigo Flores-Roux, the nose behind things like Neroli Portofino and the whole John Varvatos line. Maybe less well known is Quentin Bisch. But yeah, I respect them more than other companies that advertise on Facebook like Alt or Dossier which are just about making fragrance clones. Yes, some of Hawthorne's fragrances are clone-ish, but they're not selling themselves on the idea that they're getting as close to popular fragrances as possible. The one annoying thing is that I wish they would make their whole catalogue available to browse and not require you to retake the quiz every time to try to get a different result to order.

Anyways, I wanted to share my thoughts on the Hawthorne fragrances I have. I ordered four as "Play" fragrances, two as "Work" fragrances, and four as "limited editions". Hawthorne has its perfumers create maybe three new scents a year, that get made available to order for a couple weeks on their website without taking the quiz. Their fragrances are regularly sold at $50 for 50 ml, but they have sales a few times a year where they cut the price by 10, 20, or even 30 percent. For the limited editions they do bump the price up to $60.

Play fragrances:

“Sophisticated and Aromatic” by Rodrigo Flores-Roux. Notes of smoked pineapple, petigrain, pine, vetiver, sea salt, and musk. This was mentioned in the thread as an Aventus clone. Now I'm kind of a pleb and have never actually smelled Aventus, never sampled it. But if you put "Aventus" when the quiz asks what your favorite cologne is, it likely matches you with this. And Daver from the YT channel Fragrance Bros got this as one of his scents and echoed the thought that it smells inspired by Aventus. What I can say is that this frag smells fantastic and high quality, and is the absolute favorite of a female friend of mine. I love wearing it.

“Warm and Aromatic” by Quentin Bisch. Notes of bergamot, lavender, tonka bean, vanilla, and cedarwood. Very mass appealing, very easy to wear. A rich, sweet, slightly dark cologne. Suitable perhaps for cooler weather as the name implies, but not strictly so. I really enjoy wearing this. The quiz most easily matches me with this, and it makes sense why.

“Aromatic and Woody” by Olivier Gillotin. Notes of Italian cedrat, Haitian vetiver, and Canadian balsam fir. Very woody, and even a noticeable touch of petrol-ness. Definitely a manly cologne. Intriguing, but also still quite appealing. I’d say this is pleasant and I definitely enjoy wearing it, though it's not quite my favorite of the bunch. Seems to have a ton of projection. Someone in the thread seemed to compare this to Bleu de Chanel. I've tried BdC, and I don't really see the similarity.

“Spicy and Aromatic” by Rodrigo Flores-Roux. Notes of lemon, lavender, cinnamon, tonka, cedarwood, and suede. Got this to show up in my quiz results by saying Dior Sauvage was my favorite cologne, so apparently Hawthorne thinks this shares a similar appeal. Whatever that appeal is, it doesn’t quite grab me. It’s sort of warm, sort of spicy, sort of smells a little old. I've yet to really bother with wearing this.

Work fragrances:

"Fresh and Aquatic", by Olivier Gillotin. Notes of bergamot, juniper, pear, basil, and sandalwood. They got this one dead on when I first ordered, this is exactly the sort of scent I was comfortable wearing at work. Very fresh and very aquatic, like the name says. I can pick out the pear and the basil, giving it light undertones of juiciness and fresh spiciness respectively. The sandalwood is very clean and smooth, not at all creamy like sandalwood can be. This one really sticks to clothing. Even if I just spray on skin, the next day I can pick up the cool aroma emanating from the shirt I wore. I really enjoy this as an everyday fragrance.

"Citrus and Woody", by Rodrigo Flores-Roux. Notes of grapefruit, tangerine, neroli, petigrain, vetiver, and violetwood. This one's a bit warmer, maybe a bit more amber-y. Still very versatile, very appealing. My brother said it actually smells like sunscreen, in a good way. Reminds him of the beach. Very pleasant to wear, though performance is maybe a bit lacking.

Limited Editions:

“Wild and Botanic” by Rodrigo Flores-Roux. Notes of thyme, saffron, cardamom, thuya, tolu balsam, coriander, vanilla bean, suede, and sandalwood. This was their spring 2021 limited edition scent, and – oh wow. It might just be my favorite scent of theirs yet. It’s rich and surprisingly dark for a spring fragrance, but it’s delicious. Just the right mix of sweetness, smokiness, leatheriness, and spiciness. And it has pretty good performance too. I’m head over heels for it right now. And it reminds me of another favorite I own – “Dark Rebel Rider” by John Varvatos. It smells similar and shares several key notes. As I mentioned, Rodrigo Flores-Roux is also the nose behind all the John Varvatos fragrances. So he may have drawn from his Dark Rebel DNA when creating this fragrance. But I’m not complaining, this frag was certainly worth the purchase. Keep your eye out though if you’re reading this soon after I post it! They’re currently sold out but they may have a second batch or a re-release later this year.

“Sophisticated and Spicy Oud” by Olivier Gillotin. Notes of Seville orange, Indian cardamom, clary sage, Egyptian geranium, ozone, agarwood, and vetiver. This was the limited edition release for the fall of 2020. This one, I love. It’s dark and rich but also creamy. At the price point they sold it for, $60 for 50 ml, it's unlikely they're using real oud oil, but heck if I can tell. Edit: I did find an Instagram post where they flat out say they're using an oud accord rather than real oud oil. Regardless, fair warning, it is strong. I sprayed a couple times when I first got it and my housemate (who doesn’t care for fragrances in general) was complaining from across the main floor of feeling like there was pepper in the back of his nose. So it might not be the easiest frag to wear. But whatever. I love the smell of this.

“Botanic and Woody” by Olivier Gillotin. Notes of blue chamomile, mandarin, suede, rose, saffron, ylang ylang, vetiver, and cedarwood. Got this one as a “limited re-release” in the summer of 2020. And...I don’t know, this never clicked with me. It doesn’t smell offensive or low quality or anything, but it just lacks anything appealing to make me reach for it over my other frags.

“Green and Airy” by Olivier Gillotin. Notes of cucumber, green apple, oakmoss, ocean wind accord, iris root, and Australian sandalwood. This was the limited edition release for the summer of 2020. And this one...I didn’t like so much. It's a shame because the opening is so nice and fresh, it hits you right away with that cucumber and green apple. But there’s something in the drydown that’s really off-putting to me. Metallic, in a bad way. Edit: I was a bit to harsh on this, it's kind of grown on me. Maybe still a little too metallic. And the friend I've had smell it weren't big fans.

Last edited:

Red Hawk

Dec 4, 2019
Hawthorne collaborated with a podcast called Throwing Fits for their summer limited edition, "Warm and Oceanic Breeze", composed by Rodrigo Flores-Roux. Described with top notes of pineapple leaf and Sicilian lemon, mid of bay leaves and a "sand accord", and base of sandalwood. I ordered it, and it's pleasant, I definitely a sort of warm sandy vibe to it. Sort of a warm green scent. I'm not over the moon for it though like I was with their limited edition this past spring.

One interesting thing is that they made a video with Throwing Fits going to the Givaudan lab and talking with Rodrigo about some of the scents he's done for Hawthorne. The guys are a little insufferable, but I enjoyed the behind the scenes look regardless.

I also recently grabbed a limited re-release of theirs, "Soft and Airy Sandalwood", composed by Olivier Gillotin. Notes of cucumber, violet, German orris, marine floral musk, and Australian sandalwood. This one is actually a new favorite from Hawthorne, very pleasant, very easy to wear. Sort of dry and papery, similar to Commodity Book which I also own. I know Book gets compared to Le Labo Santal 33, but I've never tried that one. I actually like Soft & Airy Sandalwood a bit more than Book, it's smoother and doesn't have quite as much as a pickle vibe that I get from Book.

Red Hawk

Dec 4, 2019
Hawthorne is running a 15% discount today only on bundles ordered from their website hawthorne.co, including the double cologne bundle. The code for the discount is "BUNDLE15". That brings the cologne set down to $85 for two 50 ml bottles, and it's free shipping.

They've also started selling their products through online retailer Ssense.com, without the need for a quiz. Branding themselves as "Hawthorne for Everyone", maybe moving away from being a men's brand to a unisex brand. Two of their fragrances are available for order there, "Soft and Airy Sandalwood" and "Sophisticated and Spicy Oud", both creations of Olivier Gillotin. Both are bangers in my opinion, I talk about them in previous posts. I think they go well together with the sandalwood as a versatile daytime scent and the oud as a rich evening scent. Both are strong, despite the name for the sandalwood - I put on just three sprays before going to a choir rehearsal, and someone said I smelled nice but it was kind of strong for that setting. Anyways, both are worth checking out, and hopefully Hawthorne makes more of their fragrance catalogue available on Ssense so you don't have to wrestle with the quiz to try something different.

Last edited:

Latest News