Any scents like SJP's Lovely?

AnnaBanana

Dec 15, 2007
I bought a bottle of Lovely (Sarah Jessica Parker) but can't smell it at all (even after many spritzes!...and it isn't just me--my family can't smell anything either.
I love the little of Lovely that I can smell, but why waste time? Anyone know scents that are long-lasting and VERY similar to Lovely?

kumquat

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 31, 2006
Have you tried Armani Code? It has orange blossom as it's top note and it is more tenacious than Lovely. I think it is a little more interesting than most of the Dept. store fare. It's not exactly like SJP but in the same sweet floral area. You might like it. The Montales are very strong and there is a wide range to explore. There are a lot of sites that have samples.

BlackCat

Jun 30, 2008
Narciso Rodriguez for her is very similar to Lovely (or is it vice versa?), but heavier on the patchouli. I only tried it once (I'm not a big patch fan), but I seem to recall it lasting fairly long. Not sure if you'd be best off with the EdT or EdP.

musse

Oct 14, 2005
Many have compared NR for her to Lovely, but IMHO they can´t compare. NR is a very strong frag, while Lovely is not. Lovely is all about the "apple-martini"accord, with a very feeble musky drydown.

AnnaBanana

Dec 15, 2007
Have you tried Armani Code? It has orange blossom as it's top note and it is more tenacious than Lovely.

Thanks for the recommendation! Impuse scent buyer that I am (and forever shalt be, to my empty pockets) I hunted down a bottle of Code on the nameless international internet auction site (webay, ya know). Must be popular stuff because I had a doggone time winning an auction. But win I did, and I just got the bottle of edp Armani Code today. Talk about tenacious! My oh! I sprayed and sprayed (being in the habit from using the too-subtle Lovely) and when I realized I'd overdone it, the stuff wouldn't even scrub off! It lingers still, 10 hours and many washings later! It, too, is lovely, but a bit too sweet, maybe. Not wild about the ginger-like quality but then again since I overdosed, I'll see how it agrees with me used in moderation. Ah, la donna e' mobile :)!!

S

Sorcery of Scent

AnnaBanana, SJP publicly announced that she had fashioned her Lovely perfume on Narciso Rodriguez for Her. I suggest you sample the edt version of NR, as the edp has had an injection of rose.

helg

Sep 18, 2005
The following all take a page of the original Narciso (in the EDT mainly) and Lovely (which I really like):

Rumeur by Lanvin
Notorious by Lauren
also Inner Grace.Maybe
Also try Perles by Lalique, a little different, quite tenacious.

These are all advertised as "moder chypres" (due to the patchouli base instead of the oakmoss) but in reality they are technically much more of musky woody florals, really.

No matter what the "notes" say the pacthouli is really sanitized and there is no "apple-martini" or lavender really: it's all a little creative writing to make it sound like something else.
The orange blossom part in Narciso is not to be taken litterally either (in fact I'd venture to say that both smell as if they don't contain any natural essences, yet I like them both very much).

Let me note that Narciso is very lasting in both concentrations and quite potent, but in my opinion the EDT is more becoming and a little muskier which is the whole charm of this composition. The EDP is a little hissy....

AnnaBanana

Dec 15, 2007
Thanks, everyone! Off to more discoveries. By the way, I should mention that I think I've just been had, via the seller on, um, webay :). I think I bought a bottle of fake Armani Code, since the bottle's shape is not the same as the one on the Armani site, and the cap is loose, and several other things. The stuff is lovely, and lasts, but darn--I hate being had :(!

Last edited:

Asha

Jan 15, 2008
Although some might think this is blasphemy, I think Tauer's L'Air du Desert Morocain resembles SJP Lovely and Narciso Rodrigues for women.

Cumarin

Dec 4, 2008
Gucci by Gucci, maby more so in the EDT version than the EDP version.
(This is so interesting, I never would have guessed some perceive Armani Code, Sensuous, OR Notorious to be similar to Lovely. Such a surprise, such different noses we have!! :)

AnnaBanana

Dec 15, 2007
AnnaBanana, SJP publicly announced that she had fashioned her Lovely perfume on Narciso Rodriguez for Her. I suggest you sample the edt version of NR, as the edp has had an injection of rose.

Thanks, Dimitri! I got some samples of the Narciso edt and find it lovely, yet not so much more tenacious than Lovely. However--I found that using the Lovely creme and edt does the trick, lasting for hours :).

Clemmie

Mar 27, 2007
As already mentioned Narciso Rodriguez For Her is extremely similar, and has a stronger formulation, so lasts really well. It's a more sophisticated fragrance IMO.

Most people favour the EDT, but I prefer the EDP. I wear them both, though - depending on mood etc. I highly recommend this fragrance (either formulation) as a fantastic alternative to the SJP 'copy'.

Katie Puckrik

Jan 3, 2009
AnnaBanana - I love your dedication to making Lovely work for you! And it's worth it - Lovely is such an easy, relaxed beauty. As long as you're slathering on the Lovely creme as a base layer, you might also consider Lovely Liquid Satin - the perfume serum spray. I hear tell that it's a deeper, muskier version of the edp, and I've just sent away for some myself. Has anyone here tried it?

Cumarin

Dec 4, 2008
AnnaBanana - I love your dedication to making Lovely work for you! And it's worth it - Lovely is such an easy, relaxed beauty. As long as you're slathering on the Lovely creme as a base layer, you might also consider Lovely Liquid Satin - the perfume serum spray. I hear tell that it's a deeper, muskier version of the edp, and I've just sent away for some myself. Has anyone here tried it?

Yes, Liquid Satin is very nice. It's the same scent but softer. I like both, and ofcourse all Lovely -products are nice when layered.
I also enjoy layering Lovely bodylotion and Narciso Rodriguez.

Olfacta

Feb 20, 2008
You may not be able to smell certain musks. This appears to be genetic, so that may be why your other family members can't, either. I once ordered a sample of "Egyptian Musk" and when it arrived I thought someone had filled the vial with water. But my husband could smell it just fine. I believe "Lovely" is heavy on the musks; that may be why.

Bal a Versailles

Feb 15, 2012
I bought a bottle of Lovely (Sarah Jessica Parker) but can't smell it at all (even after many spritzes!...and it isn't just me--my family can't smell anything either.
I love the little of Lovely that I can smell, but why waste time? Anyone know scents that are long-lasting and VERY similar to Lovely?
I love Annick Goutal's Musc Nomade

Latest News