Any fans of MFK Amyris?

Jul 7, 2012
I love it until the synthetic base rears its ugly head. If the base was smooth, Amyris would be a home run for me. I tried the Extrait too. The extrait almost fooled me because it takes longer for the synthetic base to make itself known. I thought maybe he smoothed it out. Nope. It just takes longer to get there.

If you enjoy Amyris, you should give the Extrait a try. It's basically the same scent, but it wears a little bit quieter, though it's not a quiet scent, and it lasts for ages.

Ged

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 9, 2005
I just upgraded it into my top ten after 6 months of so of owning it!

By way of explanation, I try to do a "Scent of The Week" rather than SOTD. I have over 100 frags so theoretically it will take me two years to rotate (not to mention new acquisitions) but Amyris has had 2-3 goes at SOTW in only 6 months. That says something.

I just reach for it. People say it's too commercial. Probably why I like it, reach for it and get compliments on it. In the gamut of "fresh sweeties" from the Allures to Ultramales, Reflections to Invictus / Legend Spirits, this just hits the sweet spot of classy for me (even if that is the power of suggestion by virtue of its price).

I get good longevity and seemingly good projection. A marker of longevity for me is if a fragrance radiates off my body during a shower or bath at night - 12+ hours after application.

emtee

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 4, 2018
I love it until the synthetic base rears its ugly head. If the base was smooth, Amyris would be a home run for me. I tried the Extrait too. The extrait almost fooled me because it takes longer for the synthetic base to make itself known. I thought maybe he smoothed it out. Nope. It just takes longer to get there.

If you enjoy Amyris, you should give the Extrait a try. It's basically the same scent, but it wears a little bit quieter, though it's not a quiet scent, and it lasts for ages.

This is exactly how I feel about pretty much all MFK’s. Whatever they use becomes cloying and unpleasant to me after a while. Such a shame as the openings on many are fantastic.

dogtoe

Aug 5, 2016
I grabbed it last summer to add some lighter fragrances to the heavy resinous scents I already own. I like it so much better than the typical freshy. I’m still adding fresher scents this summer. This week’s haul included Dior Homme 2020 and Roja Elysium, both fresh compared to my normal fare.

Eilenberg

Apr 10, 2021
I would love it if not for the tangerine note that makes it cloyingly sweet on my skin. If only the aromatic-woody aspects could be tuned up a bit.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Fascinating! I immediately liked both, but only the MFK really tempted me. At 25% less, I might have sprung for it. My love for Invictus cooled down faster. Next time I smelled it, no dice.

Invictus (2013), if you pay close attention, took the opening of Amyris (2012) and the drydown of Gucci Guilty pour Homme (2011) and merged them, then amped up the ambroxan to hideously powerful levels.

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Any fans of MFK Amyris?

A mash-up of Chanel Allure Extreme and YSL L'Homme Intense, with a (slightly) better quality, but not even so much. The usual sharp tonka frag, probably a necessary frag to have in their line-up (income-wise), but clearly and uninspired 'cash cow', not at all significant or representative of the house of MFK. An offering for Chanel Extreme fanboys to feel they are wearing more than that, because it's more expensive. Obviously, that is just my personal opinion.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I think it's good stuff, especially as a representative of 2010s era masculine designer trends. I like the way it smells and wears.

Like, if you want just one example of the era and its dominant style, and you want it to be the best, most balanced example possible, Amyris should be at the top of that list. If you want novelty, strike it right off your list.

satyen

Basenotes Junkie
Dec 11, 2018
It smells too perfumey from close, but smells good from far... kinda like the new age designer releases

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Nastka

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 6, 2011
I think it's good stuff, especially as a representative of 2010s era masculine designer trends. I like the way it smells and wears.

Like, if you want just one example of the era and its dominant style, and you want it to be the best, most balanced example possible, Amyris should be at the top of that list. If you want novelty, strike it right off your list.

Agreed. It's impeccably done in my opinion, and can stand on its own because of it.

jdp191

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 13, 2016
I've never tried the extrait version, but the EdT is quite nice. I find that I usually reach for Xerjoff's Uden when I am in the mood for this type of fragrance, so Amyris doesn't see much use.

Larry Hoover

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 18, 2015
Nice fragrance, but nothing overly interesting. Easy to wear. Prefer the Extrait but it's way overpriced, otherwise I wouldn't mind having the Extrait in a 35ml bottle.

Silencer

Basenotes Member
Jun 6, 2017
Very nice scent. Quite pleasant and polite smelling. Inoffensive and versatile. Preferred the EDT over the extrait by a pretty wide margin. Fresh and mass appealing.

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
I find it to be a tonka bomb, basically a glorified take on Allure Sport Extreme.
To answer the question: I own a travel spray, but my appreciation for it have faded after just a couple of wearings.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...

pp