Annick Goutal has a vintage thread—look!

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
A special edition of Ce Soir ou Jamais edp was offered in the “aumônier” (alms bag) bottle. That seemed like a strange association to me. With it was a gift of a bilingual pillow!

6BD578D8-C9A4-410A-BD42-FCC2E01E334C.jpeg 44A57BA6-362F-4534-899A-71C7D982045C.jpeg BE01CAC6-7EA6-4BC5-B7EF-C60376F3F2B0.jpeg

Last edited:

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
I find it more of a garrigue than an eau de cologne.

I'd say it's closer to Corsica Furiosa, among the Corticchiato scents.
Interesting. I agree with the garrigue part (my reference is Granville, though) but it didn't ring a CF bell. Maybe I'll do a side-by-each.
The bottle seems to be the same size as the 100ml Vetiver, yet is marked 50ml.
Correct! I bought it thinking it was a 50ml (it was listed as that) so bonus there. Although I can't imagine I'd ever wear 50ml of Eau du Fier, nevermind 100ml. It's wild stuff and quite intriguing, but not a casual wear.
IsoESuperman, a note on the handwritten labels: those were the earliest Goutals. The labels were written by Annick Goutal herself, in the days when she was starting out and wasn’t getting them completely printed yet.

The reason I know that is Annick Goutal gave presentations in Montrèal a few times and on one occasion she explained about the labels and the early days of the company. I have saved any bottles with handwritten labels as “historical documents.”
Fiveoaks, I knew you'd have the Goutal goods! When I thick of Annick Goutal (or Nuit de Cellophane) I think of you.

Thanks for the info, I had a feeling it might be mid-late 1980's. That's really fun, to have Annick's John Hancock of sorts. BTW when I saw your 30ml of Vétiver, I figured you must have adopted the quote in your signature afterwards :) I do like that 30ml bottles are/were available, that's what I managed to pick up Eau de Monsieur in and quite reasonably.

Never even heard of Ce Soir ou Jamais and that's certainly my first introduction to a bilingual pillow!

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Fiveoaks, I knew you'd have the Goutal goods! When I thick of Annick Goutal (or Nuit de Cellophane) I think of you.

Thanks for the info, I had a feeling it might be mid-late 1980's. That's really fun, to have Annick's John Hancock of sorts. BTW when I saw your 30ml of Vétiver, I figured you must have adopted the quote in your signature afterwards :) I do like that 30ml bottles are/were available, that's what I managed to pick up Eau de Monsieur in and quite reasonably.

Never even heard of Ce Soir ou Jamais and that's certainly my first introduction to a bilingual pillow!

Thanks for the nice thoughts.

A 30 ml of Goutal vétiver would easily outlast any 100 ml of a fragrance of today and then some. Wearing Goutal scents, they seemed to get stronger as the day wore on! That’s the major difference I am aware of between the original company and subsequent owners, the concentration of the scents has been decreased over time.

Ce Soir ou Jamais is rose-centric. It was supposedly being worked on for ten years and was Annick Goutal’s last creation, released shortly before she died. Any idea if it’s still in production? I haven’t explored the recent lineup.

Bal a Versailles

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2012
Annick Goutal's Les Nuits d'Hadrien Is becoming a favorite. Very few scents have black pepper treatment like this. Also I love vintage Sables as I’m a sucker for immortelle done like this.

What vintage loves do you have for this house?
I have quite a few. I bought Sables for my husband but he preferred my Musc Nomade. I went through several bottles of Eau du Sud, don't like Hadrien, love Heure Exquise. Quelle Amour! is fun sometimes and Songes is beyond tropical. I haven't used much Myrrh Ardente in ten years but it's still fine. I have a nearly full big bottle of the huge par Camille that seldom sees the light I and bought Grand Amour and 'Ce Soir ou jamais' for my Mother. My Brother who has passed away loved it when I wore 'Passion' I bought a couple of those little 'coffret' sets and I use the containers for my jewellery. Tell me about Les Nuits d'hadrian because I feel like a Philistine not liking Hadrien.

Last edited:

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I have a small older bottle of Eau du Sud, probably 1oz, with the ribbed sides. I like it, but must admit it gets a bit lost among my other aromatic woody citrus selections. Not really Eau du Sud's fault, it's a hard category to stand out in. I don't know for sure if this is vintage, but it looks like it should be!

image.jpg

I also love Ninfeo Mio. CB introduced me to that one...it's so distinctive and yummy. Hard to describe the texture...dewy and bright green but also a little bit sweet and fuzzy and creamy and woody, all at the same time. Sounds like a potential disaster, but it's really nice to wear. I have a big decant of it, and may get a bottle this coming Spring.

Not familiar with other Goutals...it's a house I've sort of neglected over the years. That ought to change!

vertatre

Dec 21, 2010
I've worn Annick Goutal since the late 80s I would say. Started with Eau d'Hadrian. I remember when I moved to Hawaii from San Francisco in 2005, I threw away SO MANY bottles of fragrance, as I really did not collect back then. Grrr.

I 've owned Eau d'Hadrian, and Mandragore but now only have a few bottles of vintage Eau de Monsieur, one bottle of the 2nd iteration of Eau de Monsieur, 2 vintage Eau du Sud, vintage Vetiver and one modern Vetiver cologne, and one Eau de Lavande (I can't imagine me ever really wearing that, but it smells incredible, like walking through a field of drying Lavender).

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
Thanks for the nice thoughts.

A 30 ml of Goutal vétiver would easily outlast any 100 ml of a fragrance of today and then some. Wearing Goutal scents, they seemed to get stronger as the day wore on! That’s the major difference I am aware of between the original company and subsequent owners, the concentration of the scents has been decreased over time.

Ce Soir ou Jamais is rose-centric. It was supposedly being worked on for ten years and was Annick Goutal’s last creation, released shortly before she died. Any idea if it’s still in production? I haven’t explored the recent lineup.

As mentioned before not sure how vintage mine are.... couple quite old, a bunch that are in the 10 to 15 year range with some around 5 years, and even a few newer acquisitions. I never noticed the getting stronger phenomena you mention, but I never used more than two sprays and get very good longevity out of all of them, although projection varies greatly. I guess that is one more reason to look for deeper vintage, but honestly would rather not if possible!! Less work and often less $ to not go so rare....

I am pretty sure Ce Soir ou Jamais is still in production or at least was recently. Reason is I saw samples of that and they matched the newer sample card format from the last few years not the old style. I thought that I had picked up some, I had a chance to get some I didn't have (some like this had not heard of) and the pricing was very unusual and I ended up buying those that were reasonable. But I took a quick look and can't find them... arghh.... if I find time to dig around will update someday.....

I have quite a few............. Tell me about Les Nuits d'hadrian because I feel like a Philistine not liking Hadrien.

Maybe I'm way off target here but I think that Eau de Hadrian is fairly popular or say one of the more mainstream popular Goutals. I would guess that Les Nuits d'Hadrian would be much less liked overall and you may well be in the majority!!! When I first got it I wasn't thrilled with it as it had been compared to Eau and didn't seem to have much in common, over time I like it more. For me, the citrus that is the trademark of eau is buried almost immediately by the darker notes. I get a more dark overall tone from Nuits, but then after it settles start getting more of the varied spices. Usually like dark frags but there is something strange in the dominant dark note, maybe burnt citrus?? Even if no one else is getting the dark note thing, there is a lot of dark-leaning spices here, kind of the holiday as a fragrance thing going on, which doesn't work for many.....

I've worn Annick Goutal since the late 80s I would say. Started with Eau d'Hadrian. I remember when I moved to Hawaii from San Francisco in 2005, I threw away SO MANY bottles of fragrance, as I really did not collect back then. Grrr.

I 've owned Eau d'Hadrian, and Mandragore but now only have a few bottles of vintage Eau de Monsieur, one bottle of the 2nd iteration of Eau de Monsieur, 2 vintage Eau du Sud, vintage Vetiver and one modern Vetiver cologne, and one Eau de Lavande (I can't imagine me ever really wearing that, but it smells incredible, like walking through a field of drying Lavender).

You were fortunate to have and enjoy these for a long time! Nice!

Have to ask, since it's one thing that does come up a lot with vintage Goutal, what's your opinion or description on the vetiver since you have both? (I have and like the current, have yet to try the vintage..)

vertatre

Dec 21, 2010
You were fortunate to have and enjoy these for a long time! Nice!

Have to ask, since it's one thing that does come up a lot with vintage Goutal, what's your opinion or description on the vetiver since you have both? (I have and like the current, have yet to try the vintage.

vertatre

Dec 21, 2010
sorry, didn't use the quote properly...

I'm not the best at conveying descriptions unfortunately, I do believe the vintage has a stronger vetiver smell, and some also say it had an iodine , or salty tinge to it. I also read a review once where it says the initial blast has a nail polish smell, and I can 'agree' somewhat to that (as I never knew if it was simply my bottle), but it quickly goes away and what is left is a beautiful scent.

In My opinion, the current cologne has a more 'floral' aspect to it but goes away quickly. Perfect for a hot day (again, IMO).

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
My Vetiver is terrible. I suppose an off bottle or something. It old and not the EDC.

I'm not the best at conveying descriptions unfortunately, I do believe the vintage has a stronger vetiver smell, and some also say it had an iodine , or salty tinge to it. I also read a review once where it says the initial blast has a nail polish smell, and I can 'agree' somewhat to that (as I never knew if it was simply my bottle), but it quickly goes away and what is left is a beautiful scent.

In My opinion, the current cologne has a more 'floral' aspect to it but goes away quickly. Perfect for a hot day (again, IMO).

I’ve been curious about vintage Goutal Vetiver for a while. Sounds like it can be a bit dicey to find a good bottle.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
I’ve been curious about vintage Goutal Vetiver for a while. Sounds like it can be a bit dicey to find a good bottle.

The original Goutal Vétiver is intebse and pungent with no softening notes and the rare times the urge arises to revisit it, I apply it only in a short fine spray or little dabs.. “Dicey” is probably a justified word—and frankly “terrible” could be too—and, with all that, it could be a good bottle! I think of it as “raw.”

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
For what it's worth, I'm a vetiver lover, especially raw and earthy formulations. I've owned three different bottles of vintage Goutal Vetiver over the years, and didn't enjoy any of them. There was a always a strongly off-putting note that I couldn't stomach (possibly the "iodine"). I don't think it's a case of bad bottles ... that just seems to be how the perfume smells.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
For what it's worth, I'm a vetiver lover, especially raw and earthy formulations. I've owned three different bottles of vintage Goutal Vetiver over the years, and didn't enjoy any of them. There was a always a strongly off-putting note that I couldn't stomach (possibly the "iodine"). I don't think it's a case of bad bottles ... that just seems to be how the perfume smells.

oh. That’s interesting indeed.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016

So seems like we have a few votes here that are not on the vintage side. That is a bit rare for any fragrance (in this forum at least!!!)....

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016

So this made me wear the current vetiver (yesterday). I don't get much floral, or much of the green notes either. Mostly just get the vetiver but it is almost like it's behind a thick wall of smoke. Lemon and other things pop out barely, but the smoke overrides everything..... and I really like that!! Maybe am over sensitive to whatever gives the smoke sense, but at least I like it. Its still my favorite vetiver, though I don't have that many.... And it lasts a LONG time, well past 12 hours.....

I did find the samples, which were new, it's still in production. Tried it and it is very realistic smell of a rose, the actual bloom of the flower, to me. DIdn't really get much else out of it. I have tried quel amour and some other female targeted scents to broaden the nose but have very modest experience in the area, so my evaluation is nothing to go by. (Not up on posting rules to Canada but if it's possible glad to send a sample of it.... just pm....)

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
So this made me wear the current vetiver (yesterday). I don't get much floral, or much of the green notes either. Mostly just get the vetiver but it is almost like it's behind a thick wall of smoke. Lemon and other things pop out barely, but the smoke overrides everything..... and I really like that!! Maybe am over sensitive to whatever gives the smoke sense, but at least I like it. Its still my favorite vetiver, though I don't have that many.... And it lasts a LONG time, well past 12 hours.....

I did find the samples, which were new, it's still in production. Tried it and it is very realistic smell of a rose, the actual bloom of the flower, to me. DIdn't really get much else out of it. I have tried quel amour and some other female targeted scents to broaden the nose but have very modest experience in the area, so my evaluation is nothing to go by. (Not up on posting rules to Canada but if it's possible glad to send a sample of it.... just pm....)

Thanks for the thought, woodnotes55. That is so nice. I have plenty of vintage Ce Soir ou Jamais, both edt and edp, and access to the brand here. In any case re rules, Canada doesn’t allow people other than authorized sellers to send any perfume. Too dangerous, you know… :rolleyes:

Agreed, the rose is realistic. One time while wearing it I was in an antique store. A lady walked in and proclaimed, “I smell roses!”

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
Thanks for the thought, woodnotes55. That is so nice. I have plenty of vintage Ce Soir ou Jamais, both edt and edp, and access to the brand here. In any case re rules, Canada doesn’t allow people other than authorized sellers to send any perfume. Too dangerous, you know… :rolleyes:

Agreed, the rose is realistic. One time while wearing it I was in an antique store. A lady walked in and proclaimed, “I smell roses!”

Good to hear my nose is somewhat on point!!! And yeah, doing things like sharing good scents surely is right up my alley as a dangerous BN radical...:ROFLMAO: What's next, food???

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015

@thrilledchilled the sentiment in naylor's post is exactly what came to mind when I saw yours about turned/fake. It might just smell awful to you. I'd be happy to send you a decant for comparison from one of my bottles that I am confident isn't fake or turned.

I personally think Goutal's Vetiver is an odd duck, even up against some of the seemingly intentionally weird perfumes created post 2010. One of my favorite parts about it is, when wearing it, to ponder how something like this was released in 1985 and what Annick's thought process might have been - what the scentscape she was aiming for might have been inspired by.

To me, the newer Les Colognes Vetiver keeps the spirit of the original alive, just presenting it in a fresher/easier to wear format. That weird iodine-y thing is still there. On the plus side, even though it is maybe no longer made (or easily available in the US), there are bottles floating around on eBay for very fair prices. I think I paid about $20 for a 50ml Les Colognes Vetiver.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
@thrilledchilled the sentiment in naylor's post is exactly what came to mind when I saw yours about turned/fake. It might just smell awful to you. I'd be happy to send you a decant for comparison from one of my bottles that I am confident isn't fake or turned.

I personally think Goutal's Vetiver is an odd duck, even up against some of the seemingly intentionally weird perfumes created post 2010. One of my favorite parts about it is, when wearing it, to ponder how something like this was released in 1985 and what Annick's thought process might have been - what the scentscape she was aiming for might have been inspired by.

To me, the newer Les Colognes Vetiver keeps the spirit of the original alive, just presenting it in a fresher/easier to wear format. That weird iodine-y thing is still there. On the plus side, even though it is maybe no longer made (or easily available in the US), there are bottles floating around on eBay for very fair prices. I think I paid about $20 for a 50ml Les Colognes Vetiver.

you are so kind. I'll try Vetiver vintage again and probably try the cologne.

vertatre

Dec 21, 2010
I had a question on the Eau de Monsieur if anyone might know. Has anybody sampled the latest version (the one that simply says "Goutal") and how does it compare to version #2 (square bottle, updated packaging and a different smell from the vintage)?

I have probably 3 of the older vintage bottles 1.7 and 3.4 oz (some half full), I had also purchased the 2nd version about 4-5 years ago as well and really really liked that version. It cut down the Immortelle smell (which I do like) and made it much easier for my climate. I simply just like it a lot, no other real particular reason.

I would like to find the 2nd iteration, but cannot easily, but was wondering how the 3rd and current version compares to the 2nd. Not really seeking comments on the vintage, as I do have that and would understand it would be different.

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
I had a question on the Eau de Monsieur if anyone might know. Has anybody sampled the latest version (the one that simply says "Goutal") and how does it compare to version #2 (square bottle, updated packaging and a different smell from the vintage)?

I have probably 3 of the older vintage bottles 1.7 and 3.4 oz (some half full), I had also purchased the 2nd version about 4-5 years ago as well and really really liked that version. It cut down the Immortelle smell (which I do like) and made it much easier for my climate. I simply just like it a lot, no other real particular reason.

I would like to find the 2nd iteration, but cannot easily, but was wondering how the 3rd and current version compares to the 2nd. Not really seeking comments on the vintage, as I do have that and would understand it would be different.
I'm curious as well, maybe I'll try to hunt down a sample and report back.

I have only tried it from the square bottles, presumably the 2nd version (a 100ml and a 30ml) that you mention. The few comments I've seen about the current "Goutal" one is that it is basically a purely citrus/chypre affair. No immortelle/ambery warmth - which if that is the case, might be grounds for renaming the fragrance. That part is sort of what defines it for me.

What would you consider to be the first version? The fluted columnar bottles with the hanging tags?

vertatre

Dec 21, 2010
Sorry seem to be having issues using quotes...

IsoESuperman: I am not entirely sure, but the bottles that I have been exposed to since the late 80s have been this style (these are my bottles, I do have an Eau de Lavande also and a few EdM in a 50 ml. I love this scent, but it doesn't work in a warm humid climate like the version that I reference as #2. I buy them to collect them for the most part nowadays.

goutal.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The packing below changed in the past ten years to a similar shaped bottle, stovepipe cap like these (always reminds me of those old tall black caps on hats in the 1800's), but a less fancier label and a cream colored motif. I do like this scent and agree it does not smell exactly like the version above. Perhaps it should have had a different name, but this scent is one I am trying to find. I do not think I have ever seen this version in a 50 ml bottle.

edm2.jpeg
The current is a new shape for the past few years and this is the one I was curious if it resembles the (my named) 2nd version. I seriously doubt it would mimic the first version.

edm3.jpg

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
Have been wearing Les Nuits d'Hadrien about every 3rd say (since only brought 3 frags with me) and it has been weird how much difference there is in some wearings. Usually the dark notes come across the most after the initial opening, but some days it has stayed more citrus/blend prominent with the spices in the back, others the typical spice all prominent. Wearing something very occasionally it's easy to miss things like this....

david

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 7, 2005
Vintage Vetiver, (my all time favourite vetiver), Sables and Eau du Fier are my favourites.
It took me a while to appreciate Eau du Fier, but now I love it.
I was lucky to find 3 bottles of it in a sale at a mens clothing store.

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
@vertatre Sorry just saw your post now - thank you for the explanation. I was thinking that the middle photo there, the square bottle with the updated label, was the most recent packaging iteration where they've de-Annick'd "Goutal". I'd forgotten about the last one.

The Eau de Monsieur I have is the one in the first photo. I'm on a not very pressing quest to find a sample of the newest version, which seems doable, but maybe I'll also try to find some samples with the labelling style of the one you're looking for. Will report back if I manage to do either!

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
It took me a while to appreciate Eau du Fier, but now I love it.
I was lucky to find 3 bottles of it in a sale at a mens clothing store.
Wow, great score. Eau du Fier is probably my favorite from the house also, though it's certainly not to everyone's taste.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
Sorry seem to be having issues using quotes...

IsoESuperman: I am not entirely sure, but the bottles that I have been exposed to since the late 80s have been this style (these are my bottles, I do have an Eau de Lavande also and a few EdM in a 50 ml. I love this scent, but it doesn't work in a warm humid climate like the version that I reference as #2. I buy them to collect them for the most part nowadays.

View attachment 178899

The packing below changed in the past ten years to a similar shaped bottle, stovepipe cap like these (always reminds me of those old tall black caps on hats in the 1800's), but a less fancier label and a cream colored motif. I do like this scent and agree it does not smell exactly like the version above. Perhaps it should have had a different name, but this scent is one I am trying to find. I do not think I have ever seen this version in a 50 ml bottle.

View attachment 178900
The current is a new shape for the past few years and this is the one I was curious if it resembles the (my named) 2nd version. I seriously doubt it would mimic the first version.

View attachment 178901
Reformulation (or reformulation rumors) suck!!!! So I had heard the move to the last bottle above there were reformulations, then people said no they were the same so wrote it off to the usual speculation. But now you are saying there is some difference in bottles 1 and 2 for Monsieur!!!!

I thought I had a 50ml of a ver 2 but you were right, it's the ver 1 and my ver 2 are all 100s.

To add more confusion there are also new ones in a metallic bottle. If anyone really cares reply and I'll take a picture next time. Not sure on this but the only ones have seen of that kind are the new no-alcohol version. I picked up one just because it was cheap but haven't done any real comparison to the prior version. I do have one in the new bottle (3 above) but it's newer, not sure if it even came in the prior style to compare it.

Went through to see what versions/multiples I have and the one thing I could find is a favorite Nuit Etoilee that I have in both ver 1 and ver 2 (male) and also a female bottle (I guess also ver 1), and those seem to all be the same juice. The EDP is definitely different but edt seems same excepting the newest bottle which don't have to check.....

There is a ver 2 monsiuer on the bay for about 100 if that works. I know I saw it at a discounter in the last 4-5 months too for a bit less but can't recall which, so maybe you will find it looking around. Problem there is you can't tell if the pic up is stock or not on a lot of discounter sites.....

vertatre

Dec 21, 2010
Reformulation (or reformulation rumors) suck!!!! So I had heard the move to the last bottle above there were reformulations, then people said no they were the same so wrote it off to the usual speculation. But now you are saying there is some difference in bottles 1 and 2 for Monsieur!!!!

I thought I had a 50ml of a ver 2 but you were right, it's the ver 1 and my ver 2 are all 100s.

To add more confusion there are also new ones in a metallic bottle. If anyone really cares reply and I'll take a picture next time. Not sure on this but the only ones have seen of that kind are the new no-alcohol version. I picked up one just because it was cheap but haven't done any real comparison to the prior version. I do have one in the new bottle (3 above) but it's newer, not sure if it even came in the prior style to compare it.

Went through to see what versions/multiples I have and the one thing I could find is a favorite Nuit Etoilee that I have in both ver 1 and ver 2 (male) and also a female bottle (I guess also ver 1), and those seem to all be the same juice. The EDP is definitely different but edt seems same excepting the newest bottle which don't have to check.....

There is a ver 2 monsiuer on the bay for about 100 if that works. I know I saw it at a discounter in the last 4-5 months too for a bit less but can't recall which, so maybe you will find it looking around. Problem there is you can't tell if the pic up is stock or not on a lot of discounter sites.....

Please do send the picture of the metallic bottle version. I am not sure I've ever seen that. I wonder what a non alcohol version would smell like, but I am open to trying it if I can find it.

i do want to clarify my answer, as I have recently worn both my version 1 and version 2 bottles. (I still have about 10 ml left in the 100 ml bottle of version 2 so i use it sparingly until I can find it again) whereas I have quite a bit of the vintage (but I use sparingly because... they are vintage). The vintage #1 and previous version #2 DO indeed smell similar, and I take back when I said it should be renamed, BUT there is (to me) a notable difference in the strength of the "immortelle" smell (not as strong, but its essence is still there). Not the best descriptor, but I liken it to a sort of "hay" smell, very earthy, yellow, (the immortelle that is), but I truly enjoy both, I do find the 2nd version (updated label) is a bit more citrusy and (living in Hawaii) works a bit better in the heat. That is the version I am seeking and would be fine if the newest version #3 in the "goutal" branding smells similar.

I recently purchased a vintage #1, 50 ml bottle of Eau de Monsieur on ebay for about $110, and I am happy with that. They seem to be getting harder to find, although you have to keep your eyes peeled on the odd one that comes up at a good price (version #1 and #2 that is).

I did see the vers 2 on ebay that you may be referencing. I did contact the seller and asked specifically if the photo they show (a stock photo) of #2 is indeed the version they have for sale, and she said no, it is the newer version they have. I wanted to say "please change your photo then!). This is the Canadian Dollar listing. They may be confused on the versions, but I don't want to take the chance until I know if #2 and #3 smell similar. I suppose I can purchase a sample somewhere.

As I mentioned a few times in threads, I live in Honolulu and there is a woman who owns this shop in chinatown that has some vintage frags. I just purchased the YSL tin can Rive Gauche pour homme 4.x oz for $115 from her, totally sealed. She does have a vintage AG Vetiver (but I am fearful of that as its been sitting in her glass cabinet sans box for at least 3 years, and I already have a vintage vetiver. A few other Goutals, but one I have my eye on is the vintage Eau d'Hadrian in 50 ml for $85 in a box that she is selling.

I really would not say I was in the market for an Eau d"Hadrian, but what do you think, a deal? A pass?

The one thing that I don't know if many realize, is that vintage and semi current bottles of Annick Goutal (spray) actually DO twist off allowing complete access to the juice, that has always been in the back of my mind when doing ebay purchases. I 've never had an actual problem though with any ebay AG purchase.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
Please do send the picture of the metallic bottle version. I am not sure I've ever seen that. I wonder what a non alcohol version would smell like, but I am open to trying it if I can find it.

i do want to clarify my answer, as I have recently worn both my version 1 and version 2 bottles. (I still have about 10 ml left in the 100 ml bottle of version 2 so i use it sparingly until I can find it again) whereas I have quite a bit of the vintage (but I use sparingly because... they are vintage). The vintage #1 and previous version #2 DO indeed smell similar, and I take back when I said it should be renamed, BUT there is (to me) a notable difference in the strength of the "immortelle" smell (not as strong, but its essence is still there). Not the best descriptor, but I liken it to a sort of "hay" smell, very earthy, yellow, (the immortelle that is), but I truly enjoy both, I do find the 2nd version (updated label) is a bit more citrusy and (living in Hawaii) works a bit better in the heat. That is the version I am seeking and would be fine if the newest version #3 in the "goutal" branding smells similar.

I recently purchased a vintage #1, 50 ml bottle of Eau de Monsieur on ebay for about $110, and I am happy with that. They seem to be getting harder to find, although you have to keep your eyes peeled on the odd one that comes up at a good price (version #1 and #2 that is).

I did see the vers 2 on ebay that you may be referencing. I did contact the seller and asked specifically if the photo they show (a stock photo) of #2 is indeed the version they have for sale, and she said no, it is the newer version they have. I wanted to say "please change your photo then!). This is the Canadian Dollar listing. They may be confused on the versions, but I don't want to take the chance until I know if #2 and #3 smell similar. I suppose I can purchase a sample somewhere.

As I mentioned a few times in threads, I live in Honolulu and there is a woman who owns this shop in chinatown that has some vintage frags. I just purchased the YSL tin can Rive Gauche pour homme 4.x oz for $115 from her, totally sealed. She does have a vintage AG Vetiver (but I am fearful of that as its been sitting in her glass cabinet sans box for at least 3 years, and I already have a vintage vetiver. A few other Goutals, but one I have my eye on is the vintage Eau d'Hadrian in 50 ml for $85 in a box that she is selling.

I really would not say I was in the market for an Eau d"Hadrian, but what do you think, a deal? A pass?

The one thing that I don't know if many realize, is that vintage and semi current bottles of Annick Goutal (spray) actually DO twist off allowing complete access to the juice, that has always been in the back of my mind when doing ebay purchases. I 've never had an actual problem though with any ebay AG purchase.
IMG_6396 upd2.jpg

(off topic..... get a pic too big message most times now, have to create a copy and edit....must be a change with new version... at least the upload process is much easier)

Here's a pic of the new alcohol free next to an older version both 3.4 size. Am agnostic on alcohol in fragrance but ran across a deal on a new one, and they mentioned having another which was the Hadrien. I wore it a time or two but never did a real time comparison but it seems close enough. What's funny is it is very oily and leaves a big spot on your arm when it goes on, might be worse on a dress shirt than the regular kind. The other new alcohol free the bottle is the same excepting the color of the flowers on it.

Looks like you were way ahead of me on the bay one. I admit I had not realized that these open until I bought a semi-bad Mandragore. I don't think the seller was bogus but they got it from someone who seemed to have filled it up with water and maybe alcohol over a small amount of real stuff.. The real scent was clearly there, but it was extremely faint and had zero projection..... I guess it could have been heated/sunned, not sure, but returned it. Before that had bought quite a few second hand all over with no worries, and good luck.

In most cases the ver 2, if not ver 1, are actually cheaper than the v3 so I mostly have stuck to those. Don't have any matches to compare anything v3 to a prior one.....

I'd be tempted to go in, take a whiff of that vintage Hadrien, and then offer $50 and see what happens!!!! Might get a deal!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...