An (umpteenth) 'Shalimar for Men' thread: poll | Basenotes

An (umpteenth) 'Shalimar for Men' thread: poll

Best (current) version of Shalimar for men

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
I pulled out previous 'Shalimar for Men' kind of threads... and these all end-up the same way: 3-6 pages of yeahs or nays, and vintage hoarders take the lead by recommending overpriced unicorns versions.

So: I own and love Jicky EDP, Vol de Nuit EDT and Mitsouko EDT, all recent versions. I already know that Shalimar is not going to be my signature scent, nor even a frequent wear, so I don't want to spend big bucks for a minor variation. I am NOT looking for the best version of Shalimar for men, but I am looking for the best AFFORDABLE (thus current, under $50/60) version of Shalimar for men.
I don't want a partial, and that thus excludes vintage bottles, parfum concentration and all the 'Ode a' la Vanille' flankers.

My options are thus:

- Current EDC
- Current EDT
- Current EDP
- Etro Shaal Nur

Should you really want to make alternate suggestions, please do (afterall this is a forum made to promote interactions), but please forget about the 'vintage parfum de toilette'... I already know it's the most masculine version, but I just cannot pull out the necessary amount of $ for an occasional wear.

Thank you all!

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
It's not for men - Guerlain specifically made it for women and it will always be associated with them. That's my opinion anyway.

I have worn Shaal Nur quite happily in the past though -- I think it's more unisex.

Regarding alternate suggestions, I would muck about layering with samples of Habit Rouge, Jicky, Black Orchid and Musc Ravageur -- that could be fun and a cheap(ish) option.

Nastka

Mar 6, 2011
I have a bottle of vintage EdT (the bottle before the redesign, can be still found on eBay) and it's very good. Lots of emphasis on citrus and leather, less so on vanilla.

Another option: Etat Libre d'Orange Fils de Dieu. It's basically Shalimar without the vanilla, but with lime, coconut, rice, ginger and spices instead. Yes, I make it sound like a Thai curry, but it's extremely nice and wearable, and the structure is basically the same as the Guerlain.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I don't want a partial, and that thus excludes vintage bottles, parfum concentration and all the 'Ode a' la Vanille' flankers.
please forget about the 'vintage parfum de toilette'... I already know it's the most masculine version, but I just cannot pull out the necessary amount of $ for an occasional wear.

I don't even care about Shalimar, but I'm subscribing to this thread just to see how long it takes for someone to completely ignore those very clear directives and recommend a vintage PdT, Ode flanker or parfum.

I admire your determination to stick to definite budget limits, Andy. I try, but I so often crumble.

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
Your budget best buy would be the current EDC.

I wanted to like Shalimar, I really did. But no. Too sweet, too much vanilla.
Etro Shaal Nur is far more wearable, in similar-ish vein, and bonus incense/aromatics. I wear it all year round - makes me feel good and brings a smile to my face.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
EDC, no question. Citrus, barbershop-style powder, and a smoky leather drydown.

The other concentrations are more heavily floral.

Basically, this.

As someone who loves and wears all three concentrations I can only agree. (EDT is the most floral and powdery/least smoky, EDP is strong on everything)
I can also add that EDC stays all day on my skin, so it's really strong enough, too.

If you feel squirmy about it being marketed as feminine, Habit Rouge could be a decent alternative, it's a more powdery and rosy take on Shalimar - and yet is marketed to men. (edit: I'm not saying it does smell very feminine)

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
So, first, we have Team EDC:

EDC, no question. Citrus, barbershop-style powder, and a smoky leather drydown. The other concentrations are more heavily floral.
It's noted, thanks!
Agreed. Especially if it's an occasional, casual wear then the performance isn't much of an issue (though the performance isn't bad either).
It's also noted, thanks!
Well when you put it like that...EDC.
I'm not fun, I know.... haha!
Your budget best buy would be the current EDC.
I wanted to like Shalimar, I really did. But no. Too sweet, too much vanilla.[...]
Good to know, thanks!
Basically, this.
As someone who loves and wears all three concentrations I can only agree. (EDT is the most floral and powdery/least smoky, EDP is strong on everything) I can also add that EDC stays all day on my skin, so it's really strong enough, too.[...]
It's noted, thanks!

Then, we have Team EDT/EDP:

EDP is quite nice and unisex imo. I haven’t tried the EDC yet though was quite happy with the EDP
Ok, good to hear!
I have a bottle of vintage EdT (the bottle before the redesign, can be still found on eBay) and it's very good. Lots of emphasis on citrus and leather, less so on vanilla.[...]
I'll keep that in mind!
Vintage bottles are plentiful and can be found for under $50. Both EDT and EDP are great.
I tried to look on ebay, and I can find is a 50ml splash (risky) of ultra vintage EDC (round bottle) for $50 or several semi-vintage 30ml EDT for $20-25... that could do the job too...

Then, we have Team Other Suggestions (with Habit Rouge being the first runner-up), and some players playing on multiple teams:

It's not for men - Guerlain specifically made it for women and it will always be associated with them. That's my opinion anyway.
I have worn Shaal Nur quite happily in the past though -- I think it's more unisex.
Regarding alternate suggestions, I would muck about layering with samples of Habit Rouge, Jicky, Black Orchid and Musc Ravageur -- that could be fun and a cheap(ish) option.
Shaal Nur is actually a serious option, but no bottles under $80, so I havee to make sure..
As for layering, I own the first 2, and have a sample of the third.... let me think about it!
I was very disappointed in the EDC. Very uninteresting overall and the vanilla in the drydown smells cheap to me. Just wear Habit Rouge EDT instead.
I own it, that's good news!
Another option: Etat Libre d'Orange Fils de Dieu. It's basically Shalimar without the vanilla, but with lime, coconut, rice, ginger and spices instead. Yes, I make it sound like a Thai curry, but it's extremely nice and wearable, and the structure is basically the same as the Guerlain.
I tried that one, personally not a fan. But I appreciate a lot the suggestion!
Habit Rouge L'Eau!
I own that one too, although I much prefer the EDT and EDP.
[...]Etro Shaal Nur is far more wearable, in similar-ish vein, and bonus incense/aromatics. I wear it all year round - makes me feel good and brings a smile to my face.
A serious option for me, here.
[...]If you feel squirmy about it being marketed as feminine, Habit Rouge could be a decent alternative, it's a more powdery and rosy take on Shalimar - and yet is marketed to men. (edit: I'm not saying it does smell very feminine)
I own L'Eau, EDT and EDP, so these have the advantage over Shalimar...

And finally Team Switzerland (aka ultra neutral) - but you guys stopping by is always a pleasure :)

I don't even care about Shalimar, but I'm subscribing to this thread just to see how long it takes for someone to completely ignore those very clear directives and recommend a vintage PdT, Ode flanker or parfum.
I admire your determination to stick to definite budget limits, Andy. I try, but I so often crumble.
My intent is often more impressive than my resistance... but I try to do my best haha
Is Samsara better suited for a man??
I've never tried these two just the masculine fragrances.
For what I've read, no, Samsara is impossible to wear for a man, like for Nahema and Champs-Elysees. In the same time, vintage Samsara EDP is apparently famous for having a sandalwood note to die for....and I love sandalwood haha. But I have never tried it.
Not in my opinion, no. But don't take my word for it, try it and see for yourself. :smiley:
That's what I've read around.

Ok... so my answer to all:
I already own HR in its 3 widely available versions.
Had I to opt for a Shalimar version, EDC seems to be the choice here, but I've read so many good things on Shaal Nur too, and Shalimar seems to have more 'masculine resistance' than Jicky, Mitsouko or Vol de Nuit...
As of now, I will behave like an adult, and go to a store to sample these before buying (afterall, testers of Shalimar are usually easily accessible), even if it's just $30/40 on ebay...

Please keep the answers coming! I'm looking forward to hear more!

Last edited:

saminlondon

Aug 25, 2011
Should you really want to make alternate suggestions, please do (afterall this is a forum made to promote interactions), but please forget about the 'vintage parfum de toilette'... I already know it's the most masculine version, but I just cannot pull out the necessary amount of $ for an occasional wear.

It's not the most 'masculine' as far as I'm concerned. I've always found it too curvaceous and lacking in interest.

By the way, are you sure the EdC is still current? I thought it had been retired eons ago.

PS: I voted EdP.

PPS: I find Shaal Nur actively unpleasant.

Opiate

Sep 19, 2010
Tom Ford set out to make a masculine version of Shalimar when he made Noir edp, and I think he nailed it. To me it smells like the darkest aspects of the extrait, isolated. I’be compared them on skin side by side a few times and I think he did a tremendous job. One of his best, imo.

It’s discontinued but can still be found easily at retail prices or less.

B18241F7-63F8-40A2-A875-48661C3DDC1F.jpeg

*as for your poll and the ones listed, I voted edc. (But I’d choose Noir edp over it.).

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I was talking specifically about the parfum de toilette. Shalimar itself definitely veers into masculine territory as far as I'm concerned, and is a darned sight butcher than a lot of current masculines.
Edited my quote above. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Tom Ford set out to make a masculine version of Shalimar when he made Noir edp, and I think he nailed it. To me it smells like the darkest aspects of the extrait, isolated. I’be compared them on skin side by side a few times and I think he did a tremendous job. One of his best, imo.

View attachment 161158

*as for your poll and the ones listed, I voted edc. (But I’d choose Noir edp over it.).
I need to revisit this. I know Shalimar better now than I did when I first tried it.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019

View attachment 161158

So I didn't pay attention to Noir EDP much at the time, but I'm wearing it now, and it is indeed nice. The Shalimar structure is unmistakable, but Noir EDP dials back the florals (there's some obscured rose and a bit of dark, boozy fruitiness subbing in), scales back the baby powder, and adds in a dirty, resinous, patchouli base with a bitter tinge. It's appealing and complex, a satisfactory blend of Tom Ford's affection for vintage classics and a kind of "dark" formality. It's much more accomplished than the Noir Extreme/Noir pour Femme releases that took its place.

It's a successful reworking of the formula, though the smoky-velvety suede effect I get from Shalimar proper--one of the greatest effects in all of perfumery--isn't replicated in Noir EDP.

Last edited:

aero58

Jan 30, 2019
I'll chime in, and given your parameters, I voted for the current EdP version. The thing to keep in mind about the EdP, and a recommendation (FWIW) is that you have to wait (at least for me) a minimum of one hour after applying before walking out the door (if you do); then it's goodness for a long while. BTW, I've tried several versions, both vintage and current. I don't know any women (family or otherwise) that ever wore it, so I don't have any association with it and therefore don't view it as being only for women.

Latest News