Amouage Sunshine man

Harmoniousdreama

Jul 27, 2015
My local perfume store here in Australia just got this in and so I was able to sample it this afternoon. It's a really different offering from Amouage, they seem to be straying away from the heavy frankincense dominated fragrances they've put out in the past, but I loved the dry down of this one.

I think the name of it is really misleading, didn't really make me think of summer or 'sunshine' at all, I feel it would be more suited towards the colder months. Wouldn't be at all surprised if most people find this too sweet. The first hour of this smelt sickly and cloyingly sweet on my skin.

Definitely worth a try though, I for one will be looking to buy a bottle of this once the prices come down from the clouds.

chocolateguy

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 2, 2005
I tried this yesterday for the first time. And it didn't work well on my skin.To tell the truth, I used to love Amouage. But now, after Journey Man and the Sunshine duo, I am quite disappointment. If I have to choose , I will pick Sunshine Woman. Both Sunshine Man and Woman don't look as good as in the poster. On my skin, with one spray, Man version is so strong that makes my eyes cry. It is full of lavender. Very strong lavender, and also immotelle. Of course, Sunshine Man doesn't smell like other Amouage scents. But it doesn't smell new or revotionary. Maybe I will give it a second chance next week.

yarn

Basenotes Dependent
May 21, 2013
Tried it the other day - it is a sweet florally thing that doesn't seem to share the usual Amouage DNA

Performance wise it was more at the Dia end of the scale rather than the Interlude end

It was nice enough but whereas Interlude pulled me in and convinced me to buy, this will forever be simply ok and never on my shelf

TLS

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 4, 2012
I sampled this yesterday.

To start with the name: stupid. How long did they think about the name? 10 seconds?

The bottle: mmm, less classy then we are used to.

The price: for heaven's sake. Every release is more and more expensive. This is stupid. A tacky bottle with a stupid name that costs that amount of money?

The smell: IMO it's typically Amouage because it's a complex, thick, rich fragrance but with no frankincense. Sure it's about Lavender but not straight through, it has a sun tan smell to it with makes it a bit for a younger crowd I suppose. The performance is quite nice but not in the range of Interlude. Still, I sprayed once on my wrist and it kept me accompanied the whole (damn) day.

It's a nice fragrance and as the house has it's fans it will be popular but if it would be the first release from a house it wouldn't be a hit.

Thank's Mick_Trick for your description about the notes, you're good at it!

badarun

Basenotes Institution
Jan 15, 2013
The bottle: mmm, less classy then we are used to.

The price: for heaven's sake. Every release is more and more expensive. This is stupid. A tacky bottle with a stupid name that costs that amount of money?

Jack hunter's mention that it's probably too sweet means I'll mostly pass this.

But - it's one of the worst looking bottles & a shame that it's from Amouage, whose bottles / packaging are normally eye candy.

As for the price - yes, terrible indeed...Looks like all my Amouage purchases are done for now...

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
I received a sample today. Sweet, almost fruity lavender, then an odd dill accord emerges briefly. In short I detest this one. Amouage should be ashamed to release such a piece of trash like this. Also, it doesn't smell like an Amouage release at all. Time to quickly scrub it off.

Last edited:

hedonist222

Basenotes Institution
Sep 13, 2010
I gave this a brief sniff.

If you remember just before the Fate series were released, Christopher, Amouage's creative director, mentioned they'd be taking a new direction. It was clear in woman. Fate man was still old-Amouage.

Sunshine man, like it's namesake, is a fresh start.

There was speculation & apprehension that the be route would end up, simply, being a culling if amouage's artistic vein. The vein that makes amouage what it is.
But Sunshine provew this is not the case.

I've openly said before, while I appreciate their compositions, I was never fond of them. I was particuarly not fond of how exploited their oud-incense accord was used. Especially since it is medium grade, yet priced like it were top grade.

While Sunshine is almost unrecognizable as an Amouage, it still retains the complexity, depth & Amouage-vein.
I get lavender, a teensy bit orange, plenty of juniper & cedar, tonka & immortelle.

It's not particularly sunny or fresh but neither is it dense. The immortelle is just balanced enough.

JiveHippo

Basenotes Institution
Jul 6, 2011
Smelling this now. Reminds me of Caron PuH's lavender and vanilla, with Dior Eau Noire's lmmortelle, but sickly sweet and synthetic. Smells like bubblegum. Sweeter than the women's. Pass!

chopwet

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 14, 2012
Smelling this now. Reminds me of Caron PuH's lavender and vanilla, with Dior Eau Noire's lmmortelle, but sickly sweet and synthetic. Smells like bubblegum. Sweeter than the women's. Pass!

When I saw the notes and now there seems to be a few people describing it as sweet, that combined with tonka & immortelle really isn't my kind of thing. I love Epic man so I doubt this is for me.

Dane77

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 30, 2011
I like this one a lot - to my nose, it's the best new Amouage in a very long time. But then again, I seem to enjoy new sweet lavenders a lot more than most people around here. I remember the trashing Chanel's Jersey received around here when it just came out (God, it must still be shaking...), and there seems to be a lot of hate going around for Dior's Eau Noire (a close relative of Sunshine Man) and Kilian's A Taste of Heaven, as well. I like all of those a lot, and I'm sure there are many more examples.

I've noticed this for a while: the dominant consensus or taste regime around here seems to me surprisingly conservative when it comes to lavender - heaps of praise for nougeres and neoclassical lavenders like Invasion Barbare, Sartorial and 1725 (I found all three only very mildly interesting - yawn - and certainly backward-looking) and jubilant enthusiasm for the old Guerlains and turn-of-the-century classic fougeres. And it's not just here, it's all over the blogs, as well. But what about spicier/sweeter interpretations of lavender? Is it somehow sacrilegious NOT to treat lavender the way canonical others have done for ages? I'm beginning to wonder: Is it only Caron's Pour un Homme (which I love) that can get away with being both sweet and spicy without having to take a beating for it every time it's mentioned around here? Why? Is it because it's "old enough" to be OK, even if it's not really "traditional lavender"?

I may be mistaken, and I know we all have (and are totally entitled to) our different opinions - but what do you think? Am I the only one who is beginning to sense something like an almost automatic dismissal of "different" lavender scents in these and similar forums? That would be so boring, and I really hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
I like this one a lot - to my nose, it's the best new Amouage in a very long time. But then again, I seem to enjoy new sweet lavenders a lot more than most people around here. I remember the trashing Chanel's Jersey received around here when it just came out (God, it must still be shaking...), and there seems to be a lot of hate going around for Dior's Eau Noire (a close relative of Sunshine Man) and Kilian's A Taste of Heaven, as well. I like all of those a lot, and I'm sure there are many more examples.

I've noticed this for a while: the dominant consensus or taste regime around here seems to me surprisingly conservative when it comes to lavender - heaps of praise for nougeres and neoclassical lavenders like Invasion Barbare, Sartorial and 1725 (I found all three only very mildly interesting - yawn - and certainly backward-looking) and jubilant enthusiasm for the old Guerlains and turn-of-the-century classic fougeres. And it's not just here, it's all over the blogs, as well. But what about spicier/sweeter interpretations of lavender? Is it somehow sacrilegious NOT to treat lavender the way canonical others have done for ages? I'm beginning to wonder: Is it only Caron's Pour un Homme (which I love) that can get away with being both sweet and spicy without having to take a beating for it every time it's mentioned around here? Why? Is it because it's "old enough" to be OK, even if it's not really "traditional lavender"?

I may be mistaken, and I know we all have (and are totally entitled to) our different opinions - but what do you think? Am I the only one who is beginning to sense something like an almost automatic dismissal of "different" lavender scents in these and similar forums? That would be so boring, and I really hope I'm wrong.
I can appreciate different, but this to my nose was just plain bad. Then again in all fairness, I disliked ATOH and Eau Noire, not being a sweet, lavender or immortelle fan I suppose my dislike should come as no surprise here. It looks like Sunshine Man clicked with your tastes, and that is the only thing that matters at the end of the day.

hedonist222

Basenotes Institution
Sep 13, 2010
I should clarify. I will not be buying Sunshine man because I didn't like it.
But I can see the new direction they said they'd be heading in a few years ago.

gm92

Aug 20, 2014
YsmB9b2.jpg

Jack Hunter

Basenotes Institution
Jul 29, 2009
Not impressed, but then I do not think much of this house in general.

I like their early work like Jubilation but since the new creative director Christopher Chong took over I just have not liked the fragrances. I think Memoir Man was the last fragrance I liked from the house though Journey Man was ok. It went downhill for me when Interlude/honour man was released, every-scent since then has been disappointing.

seekritdude

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 17, 2012
I deff get a sorta bubble gum vibe like ive seen some others mention in reviews.. sorta like a pack of gum that has just a bit of powder on the wrapper from it. That kinda bubble gum smell.. but theres also some kinda mix in it, that makes my stomach a little queezy and smells a little gross.

For what its worth though not im really particular horny about anything ive smelled from amouage though so what do I know.

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2009
Recently sampled Sunshine Man at Harrods. A shopping trip on a cool November afternoon, I have to say that my wife and I both loved it. Strikes me as a return to Amouage's strange experiments with a bunch of oddly mismatched fragrance elements all crammed together in one bottle, duking it out for supremacy, that somehow actually ends up working. Sunshine Man has a luxurious and complex feel, with Amouage's usual good longevity. I'll buy a bottle eventually, if for no other reason as a scent memory reminder of a fine, romantic afternoon in London.

HackerX

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 21, 2004
One of the best releases in recent memory. Not your typical Amouage for sure, but I embrace the change. It's a very bright, uplifting and comforting scent good for year round and any occasion. Fans of Dior Eau Noire would love this one as Sunshine Man is more versatile and less "curry spice" as some would call it. The orange brandy note adds a fabulous touch in the first hour or so. Longevity is superb with moderate projection, which is perfect for close encounters and intimate events ;).

Not the most original thing out there, but an extremely addictive fragrance nonetheless.

5 outta 5

PerAroma

Basenotes Member
Aug 5, 2015
This was one of the best fragrances from Amouage. Projection, Silage, Performance, longevity was 10 out of 10. It has a very nice touch of Lavender.

We really enjoyed this fragrance from house of Amouage. We only had 10 pieces in stock and they were gone in 3 days. I did not even get a chance to let you guys know that we have it available. Hopefully, more bottles will be here in 20 days.

Buysblind

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2011
I smelled this very briefly on a post it note...

Did anybody get like a brighter Eau Sauvage Parfum thing from Sunshine Men? It came off like a powdery citrus myrrh in the brief moment I smelled it.

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003

Did anybody get like a brighter Eau Sauvage Parfum thing from Sunshine Men? It came off like a powdery citrus myrrh in the brief moment I smelled it.

Not I. I never thought I would say this, but the highly disappointing and annoying Eau Sauvage Parfum comes off smelling like a masterpiece in comparison to this enormous dud.

Last edited:

kazino21

Nov 2, 2015
I tried it over the weekend, along with the rest of the amouage line. Really liked it and felt it was from the same family

jbthorpe

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 16, 2009
Tried this a few days ago and really like it a lot. Having said that, I have to admit that I'm not a fan of most Amouage offerings that I've sampled in the past. I find Lyric Man, Beloved and Reflection very challenging and Jubilation 25 is nice but not my favorite. Sunshine has the typical Amouage high quality, but does take a brighter, sweeter approach. Bottle worthy at some point in the future.

Monkeys

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 12, 2015
I don't think there is one Amouage fragrance that divides opinions more than this one.

Amouage make me think of a popular rock band. As soon as they try something new, their die hard fans will say they've changed and won't enjoy it with or without giving it its proper chance. But if they stay in their easy winning recipe, then other people (And/or the same) will say it's useless and too much like other ones of their fragrances.

I personally am very eager to try it since I haven't yet.

Herne

Basenotes Junkie
Sep 12, 2015
I don't know about this one. It is so weird that it makes it somehow interesting. Done some sampling and everytime I wear it my kids start whining they want ice cream:rolleyesold:

It is no bad, actually it is quite yummy and nice. But where and in what kind of occasions this is ok to wear?

If retail price was in line with other Amouage Men, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this but with retail as high as it is, this keeps me thinking is it worth it.

An odd one. Really odd one.

Monkeys

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 12, 2015
I don't know about this one. It is so weird that it makes it somehow interesting. Done some sampling and everytime I wear it my kids start whining they want ice cream:rolleyesold:

If retail price was in line with other Amouage Men, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this but with retail as high as it is, this keeps me thinking is it worth it..

Time for Amouage to look for sponsors in the ice cream area.

And I'm so eager to try it lol. And don't worry it'll probably end up for at least cheaper on online retailers before too long if you enjoy it enough...

LloydLlewellyn

Basenotes Dependent
May 9, 2011
As an enormous fan of Dior Eau Noire, I like it. It took me some time to appreciate it though (I hated it at first) and for me, the secret is to spray VERY sparsely. It is an ultra-sweet oriental gourmand that can quickly overwhelm. I did three half-sprays and it was more than enough.
I don't know if I will keep it, I can imagine it can get tiresome quickly but for now, I am enjoying it.

yarn

Basenotes Dependent
May 21, 2013

Just read this and immediately it rang a bell - sweeter/brighter Eau Sauvage Parfum pretty much sums it up for me (from memory, it was a while ago that I tried it)

bernstem

May 8, 2015
I have this and like it very much. I can also see why this is controversial. While it is in line with their previous offerings in that it offers an underlying opulence and warmth akin to their incense base (which is absent), it is also very different. I also find that it can vary in how it presents based on the day, the temperature and how much it is sprayed. It becomes much sweeter and more cloying in heat and spraying on the neck can be overwhelming, but sprayed on the wrists, the scent is more layered for me. It starts with a strong lavender balanced by the brandy. Juniper gives an aromatic accent as it matures. The lavender continues to weave in and out even as the scent matures to a vanilla and tonka base. It does become sweet with the cedar playing a minor role in tempering the vanilla.

Ultimately, I think it is different enough and unique enough to be interesting. I think it also benefits from multiple wearings and a light hand on the sprayer. If you don't like sweet Vanilla or Lavender, you likely won't enjoy Sunshine Man.

DULLAH

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 25, 2007
I own and love:
Ciel man
Arcus
Jubilation XXV
Honour Man
Interlude man
Journey man

After the repeated depressingly dark and brooding resinous smokefests that were amouage's male offerings for awhile, they finally made a few which seemed to attempt to answer my call for another optimistic and positive Amouage. Both Beloved and Sunshine were utter failures for me. Sunshine Man has the cheapest grossest low class girly-sweet fruit notes, that ruin any goodness in the rest of the composition. Beloved Man was just far too much of a "warm silky wet floral" to ever be worn by a western man.

Hopefully, this house figures out it's identity, which seemed, at some points, like a sure thing.

masterman

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 3, 2015
Not a big fan of the lavender note here... smells a little childish just to my nose. It did get me one compliment

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...