Amouage Opus IX

hawk

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 8, 2009
Looks like this one is coming out in June... notes are:

Top: camellia, black pepper, jasmine

Middle: guaiac wood, leather, beeswax

Base: ambergris, vetiver, civetta

is this going to be a spicy animalic leather?

JiveHippo

Basenotes Institution
Jul 6, 2011
Cool!

Teaser photo:

o.32715.jpg

Vinrambo09

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 14, 2010
I am not getting to excited about this considering the horrible reformulations they have done with the main line.

hawk

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 8, 2009
Opus VII was extremely "weird" and unwearable for me and Opus VIII was ok but not very interesting so I'm not expecting much from this one but I'll try it for sure when it becomes available!

hedonist222

Basenotes Institution
Sep 13, 2010
lately they've been moving away from their typical "frankinsence, incense and oud" accord.
Being an Arab, I should like the accord and I do, but not from Amouage.
Theirs was too brutal.

Im excited to try this, beeswax always adds a nice dimension.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
I suppose 'civetta' refers to synthetic civet? I won't be holding my breath considering the rest of the Library collection on the whole has been lacklustre. 'Safe' sells. 'Edgy' doesn't. I'll give this a sniff when its turn comes.

dougczar

Basenotes Institution
Mar 3, 2012
I haven't given up on Amouage, but lately they seem to over-amplify a single note that really shouldn't be there in the first place. I see civetta as the prime candidate in this one. I may try it, but I really doubt this will be my style.

HackerX

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 21, 2004
Somehow, red was the last color that came to my mind when I saw the note pyrimad unless the cameilia is the star of this fragrance, in which case might be quite interesting.

Rev320

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 30, 2012
Looking forward to trying this one out. The last two in the Opus series were good. Opus VII was great. Opus VIII wasn't ground breaking but I enjoy it and it seems to be a compliment getter.

Akahina

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 9, 2011
As a horticulturist for 30 years, the "camillia" note confuses me. Camellias are a flower with no scent. I am familiar with most camellias and none of them have any smell whatsoever and Fragrantica calls it a "fantasy scent". I look forward to sampling this release beacuse Amouage is a favorite house and I am curious as to how the house will construct new scents given IFRA restrictions.

taint it sweet

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 12, 2010
VI may be one of the greatest things I've smelled...VII is definitely different, but I actually enjoy it. I'm looking forward to this.

Vinrambo09

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 14, 2010
I haven't given up on Amouage, but lately they seem to over-amplify a single note that really shouldn't be there in the first place. I see civetta as the prime candidate in this one. I may try it, but I really doubt this will be my style.

I think you summed up Amouage perfectly lol

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
As a horticulturist for 30 years, the "camillia" note confuses me. Camellias are a flower with no scent. I am familiar with most camellias and none of them have any smell whatsoever and Fragrantica calls it a "fantasy scent". I look forward to sampling this release beacuse Amouage is a favorite house and I am curious as to how the house will construct new scents given IFRA restrictions.

Think it might be a tea accord?

Trebor

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 8, 2006
I haven't given up on Amouage, but lately they seem to over-amplify a single note that really shouldn't be there in the first place. I see civetta as the prime candidate in this one.
Agreed and the over-amplified note is usually a nasty aroma chemical.

Trebor

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 8, 2006
Somehow, red was the last color that came to my mind when I saw the note pyrimad unless the cameilia is the star of this fragrance, in which case might be quite interesting.
I really don't know why Amouage are f***ing around with the colour scheme of the Opus bottles. I liked the original bottles (translucent frosted glass) - all simple, uniform and tasteful.

The Opus VIII and IX bottles look gaudy by comparison. The black Opus VII bottle is acceptable but looks horribly out of place, especially when lined up with the first six Opus releases.

hawk

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 8, 2009
I really don't know why Amouage are f***ing around with the colour scheme of the Opus bottles. I liked the original bottles (translucent frosted glass) - all simple, uniform and tasteful.

The Opus VIII and IX bottles look gaudy by comparison. The black Opus VII bottle is acceptable but looks horribly out of place, especially when lined up with the first six Opus releases.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the red colored bottle... I mean WHY?

Mandaguy

Nov 11, 2014
I gave this as much time on my wrist as I could stomach yesterday and then I scrubbed madly to remove it (not effective!). It reacted badly to my skin and nose. From top to bottom it is a grandmothers-closet-mothball bomb with some waxy stickiness. Gross. Reminds me of over-amped oakmoss in a bad way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
I gave this as much time on my wrist as I could stomach yesterday and then I scrubbed madly to remove it (not effective!). It reacted badly to my skin and nose. From top to bottom it is a grandmothers-closet-mothball bomb with some waxy stickiness. Gross. Reminds me of over-amped oakmoss in a bad way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yikes! Didn't sound like a good experience at all.

JiveHippo

Basenotes Institution
Jul 6, 2011
Any updates on this? I am planning to test more things from the Opus line to see if there is anything else worthwhile. I am only familiar with Opus VI so far...
It sucks. Very feminine and run of the mill smelling. A big disappointment.

hawk

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 8, 2009
nothing special here... jasmine mixed with leather, some other floral note and a dirty animalic note (civet mybe?) it was light/weak, my dab sample came from luckyscent and it felt like the fragrance was watered down or something. Again fragrantica users are going all poetic about it that it makes me wonder if I'm actually smelling the same fragrance they're reviewing.

I'll try it again later on and I'll apply more, maybe I'll get a different result but for now it's a pass.

elevation

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 23, 2012
I'm pretty much done with amouage right now. Even with the classics that every basenoter tries when they first start, I only really like one or two now. Then I see the press release for sunshine man and I'm like damn here they go pulling me in again.

taint it sweet

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 12, 2010
I'm interested in trying this new Opus, however I really only liked VII. VI gives me a headache the second i spray it.

I agree that VII is good. It's very unique. However, I personally think Opus VI is the best of the group and a tight competitor with Memoir Man for my favorite from the entire house.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Resurrecting this thread because I got this by mistake yesterday (yes, really). Anyway, I would describe it as florist air. It's a very indolic and dirty floral, except that the florals are the banal mix of a florist (greenish, a bit watery). It reminded me a bit of Olene, but more sedate (if dirtier). Not bad, but once one decides to use dirty materials, one expects more.

When I read about camelia, inspired by Traviata, I had the same reaction as Akahina. The flower is pretty, but has no smell. Plus, one of the most unique characters in opera smelling like this? The art director also seems to ignore what the camelia in the piece stands for.

As for buying a $$$ by mistake-I was at Tyson's corner Parfums de France, saw this in the clearance bin, a big flower on the box, and confused it for the rose opus, that is, Opus X, which is a nice, if overpriced, rose. The lady quoted $120, so I went for it. when I sprayed it, at home, I realized the mistake. Anyway, it'll be used one way or the other.

NZFH

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 27, 2016
As for buying a $$$ by mistake-I was at Tyson's corner Parfums de France, saw this in the clearance bin, a big flower on the box, and confused it for the rose opus, that is, Opus X, which is a nice, if overpriced, rose. The lady quoted $120, so I went for it. when I sprayed it, at home, I realized the mistake. Anyway, it'll be used one way or the other.

So maybe a room spray? :)

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Perhaps room spray for the bathroom. Not sure I want the living room to smell like a tasteful florist shop.

cacio

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News