Amouage Interlude vs Interlude 53 Thoughts ?

augustya

Oct 4, 2014
Hi Guys,

Between Amouage Interlude and Interlude 53 I have heard a lot of YouTubers say this that though Interlude 53 has more fragrance oil and though it lasts forever, it does not project as much as the Original Interlude !! That is such a pity !! is that true ? is Interlude 53 so poor in projection ? as compared to the original Interlude.

I really liked the Original Interlude but I wished it was still a little stronger and projected more. In that sense I was really curious about Interlude 53 but am disappointed with what I am hearing so far.

Your thoughts ?

Franco65

May 13, 2012
The original Interlude (the one with the friction cap) was a beast in mega projection, Interlude 53 is not a skin scent but has moderate projection and is a remix of the "original" Interlude. Adding a couple more sprays will make it pretty similar in projection with Interlude original. I can't speak of Interlude post reform since I haven't tried it

augustya

Oct 4, 2014
The original Interlude (the one with the friction cap) was a beast in mega projection, Interlude 53 is not a skin scent but has moderate projection and is a remix of the "original" Interlude. Adding a couple more sprays will make it pretty similar in projection with Interlude original. I can't speak of Interlude post reform since I haven't tried it

On the contrary for me, the original interlude was really very poor in projection, I mean it did project for the first half an hour but after that nobody really noticed. So I really liked it but was disappointed with its performance. I live in a hot and humid climate (Asia) so scents that perform excellent in West Europe and North America, sucks balls in Asia !!

So you are saying adding more sprays of interlude 53 will make it project more ? So you agree but that interlude 53 has a weaker projection compared to the original ? Yeah ?

Franco65

May 13, 2012
On the contrary for me, the original interlude was really very poor in projection, I mean it did project for the first half an hour but after that nobody really noticed. So I really liked it but was disappointed with its performance. I live in a hot and humid climate (Asia) so scents that perform excellent in West Europe and North America, sucks balls in Asia !!

So you are saying adding more sprays of interlude 53 will make it project more ? So you agree but that interlude 53 has a weaker projection compared to the original ? Yeah ?
in hot and cold climate, where I live I have good performance with both, going with 5 or 6 sprays... maybe in Asia must be sprayed more because you wash the scent off with perspiration, I guess!

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
I have heard a lot of YouTubers say this that though Interlude 53 has more fragrance oil and though it lasts forever, it does not project as much as the Original Interlude !! That is such a pity !! is that true ?
For full disclosure, I have not yet tried the new 53 version. But generally speaking, it's often true that higher concentration perfumes last longer but project a bit less. So what you stated above would not surprise me.

Jul 7, 2012
I really liked the Original Interlude but I wished it was still a little stronger and projected more. In that sense I was really curious about Interlude 53 but am disappointed with what I am hearing so far.

Your thoughts ?

...???

The original Interlude is a room filler that easily lasts over 24 hours. I usually wear one spray. One. It lasts 24 hours. Actually, I have no idea how long it lasts because I take a shower every day. If I didn't, I have no doubt that it'd last 48 hours, easily. If I wear Interlude a few days in a row, my shower starts to smell like it, from washing it off. It's beastly strong.

Because it's so strong, I can definitely see some people becoming anosmic to it, meaning, your sense of smell gets used to it (so to speak) and you don't notice it anymore even though it's still projecting like a beast.

I've given this example many times, but it's worth repeating. If you want to to understand olfactory fatigue, go to the movies. When you first walk in, the smell of popcorn is overwhelming. But by the end of the movie you don't even notice it anymore. That's olfactory fatigue. Go to a coffee shop. When you first walk in, the smell of coffee is so strong. By the time you leave, you barely notice the smell anymore. That's olfactory fatigue. Strong scents often cause olfactory fatigue. The more you spray, the more you're likely to give yourself olfactory fatigue.

Last edited:

augustya

Oct 4, 2014
...???

The original Interlude is a room filler that easily lasts over 24 hours. I usually wear one spray. One. It lasts 24 hours. Actually, I have no idea how long it lasts because I take a shower every day. If I didn't, I have no doubt that it'd last 48 hours, easily. If I wear Interlude a few days in a row, my shower starts to smell like it, from washing it off. It's beastly strong.

Because it's so strong, I can definitely see some people becoming anosmic to it, meaning, your sense of smell gets used to it (so to speak) and you don't notice it anymore even though it's still projecting like a beast.

I've given this example many times, but it's worth repeating. If you want to to understand olfactory fatigue, go to the movies. When you first walk in, the smell of popcorn is overwhelming. But by the end of the movie you don't even notice it anymore. That's olfactory fatigue. Go to a coffee shop. When you first walk in, the smell of coffee is so strong. By the time you leave, you barely notice the smell anymore. That's olfactory fatigue. Strong scents often cause olfactory fatigue. The more you spray, the more you're likely to give yourself olfactory fatigue.

It is not just olfactory fatigue, some YouTubers also feel this, search for it, they are perplexed with the fact that Interlude is called Beast in the first place, it is not actually. There are some other better performing scents which can be called as Beast. But clearly Interlude is not one of them.

Jul 7, 2012
It is not just olfactory fatigue, some YouTubers also feel this, search for it, they are perplexed with the fact that Interlude is called Beast in the first place, it is not actually. There are some other better performing scents which can be called as Beast. But clearly Interlude is not one of them.
Are these the same youtubers who spray 10X a reasonable amount? I'm betting they do.

Overspraying causes olfactory fatigue. Spraying more causes more olfactory fatigue. It's like trying to cut a hole out of a blanket. The more you do, the worse it gets.

All I can tell you is this: my bottle of Interlude is so strong that 1 spray goes 24 hours plus, and if I wear it a few days in a row, my tub ends up smelling like it just due to me taking a shower each morning. It's the strongest scent I've ever worn. It's not necessarily the loudest, though wow is it loud, but I've never had a scent cling to my tub after taking a shower the way Interlude does.

The funny thing is, before buying my bottle, I was debating on whether or not it was too strong for me to wear, so I took what was left of my sample and diluted it a bit in alcohol... but that just made it project more! It didn't last as long, but it still lasted over 12 hours.

Maybe you're thinking "That's stupid. Why the hell would diluting it make it project MORE?" Here's why:

Picture a seesaw. Projection and Longevity are on opposite sides. All things being equal (meaning you're working with the exact same ingredients and the only thing you're changing is the amount of alcohol), the more you dilute a scent, the lighter you make it. It gets more lift, but it doesn't last as long. The less you dilute a scent, the heavier it gets. It lasts longer, but it doesn't project as much.

This is why the comment above about Interlude 53 having less projection even though it's stronger makes perfect sense. I haven't smelled Interlude 53, so I can't speak with any first hand knowledge on that one. I haven't smelled Interlude Black Iris yet either, but it's on my list to try at some point.

augustya

Oct 4, 2014
I prefer the original. It projects better on my skin than 53

I do agree that the original projects good I am not saying it does not, but I thought it does not project as much as let’s say some of the Memo Fragrances that I have tried which project and last forever I don’t know what is the golden formulation Memo Guys have found ? but they are really very very good in protection especially Italian Leather and African leather and I wish Interlude Original just projected as African Leather and Italian Leather. That would have been the icing on the Cake !!

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
I do agree that the original projects good I am not saying it does not, but I thought it does not project as much as let’s say some of the Memo Fragrances that I have tried which project and last forever I don’t know what is the golden formulation Memo Guys have found ? but they are really very very good in protection especially Italian Leather and African leather and I wish Interlude Original just projected as African Leather and Italian Leather. That would have been the icing on the Cake !!
Well.. the Memo's may actually be weaker than Interlude Man, but it just appears to you that they're stronger.. because it's not overloading your nose as much. Sometimes less is more with perfume.

augustya

Oct 4, 2014
Well.. the Memo's may actually be weaker than Interlude Man, but it just appears to you that they're stronger.. because it's not overloading your nose as much. Sometimes less is more with perfume.

Why is everyone here busy trying to prove me? that no I am mistaken and am terribly wrong in saying that Interlude is weaker in projection and it should not be actually called a Beast Or whatever !! I know it has a cult following but in performance it sucks balls for me !! Memo is Majestic a bench mark on how grandeur and majestic a fragrance should smell. That Bulgarian Lady the perfumer at the House of Memo !! should take a bow for the Marvelous creation that she has given birth to ! Take a bow Memo ! Take a Bow !!

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Why is everyone here busy trying to prove me? that no I am mistaken and am terribly wrong in saying that Interlude is weaker in projection and it should not be actually called a Beast Or whatever !! I know it has a cult following but in performance it sucks balls for me !! Memo is Majestic a bench mark on how grandeur and majestic a fragrance should smell. That Bulgarian Lady the perfumer at the House of Memo !! should take a bow for the Marvelous creation that she has given birth to ! Take a bow Memo ! Take a Bow !!
It's because what you're saying goes against pretty much everyone's experience. Interlude Man is not weak; period.

I'm saying spraying LESS of something can APPEAR stronger to you because it's not blowing your nose out as fast.
For example, I can spray 1 spray of something to test and it smells quite strong. But if I wear 3-5 sprays of it, it's not as noticeable. Is it weaker? No. It's simply that my nose is being bombarded LESS so it has less incentive to adjust to the smell and ignore it.

If what you're saying is going against basically what everyone else is saying... there's a reason for that.

augustya

Oct 4, 2014
It's because what you're saying goes against pretty much everyone's experience. Interlude Man is not weak; period.

I'm saying spraying LESS of something can APPEAR stronger to you because it's not blowing your nose out as fast.
For example, I can spray 1 spray of something to test and it smells quite strong. But if I wear 3-5 sprays of it, it's not as noticeable. Is it weaker? No. It's simply that my nose is being bombarded LESS so it has less incentive to adjust to the smell and ignore it.

If what you're saying is going against basically what everyone else is saying... there's a reason for that.

All the guys who have replied here live in Dark, Cold Countries where there is barely Sun visible. Even the weakest scent there will be a rock star.

And I am one of the most lavish sprayer when it comes to spraying perfumes so I have given enough wearing to Interlude to reach to this conclusion.

augustya

Oct 4, 2014

Check this out !!

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
All the guys who have replied here live in Dark, Cold Countries where there is barely Sun visible. Even the weakest scent there will be a rock star.

And I am one of the most lavish sprayer when it comes to spraying perfumes so I have given enough wearing to Interlude to reach to this conclusion.
I'm in Texas. And being a 'lavish sprayer' is a problem for a lot of people, because you're probably simply exacerbating the problem of olfactory fatigue. /shrug

ultravisitor

Nov 4, 2014
Exactly. You spray so much of a powerful perfume that you give yourself olfactory fatigue without even realizing it. Meanwhile, other people around you are struggling to breathe.

augustya

Oct 4, 2014
To everyone who has replied here and reading it for the first time. Have you guys gone through the Youtube Video that I have linked above ? It is not only me who feels that Interlude is far away from being called a Beast !! Sebastian from the above YouTube Channel also feels the same way. And forget Sebastian I am saying this from my Personal Experience infact I also tried it with all the other Fragrance Prolonging Hacks that the Industry talks about, apply Moisturizer First and then apply your Scent. The Result was the same !! It Sucks Balls !!

Jul 7, 2012
That's the problem. The more you spray, the more you cause your brain to filter out the smell in order to ignore it, so you spray more, and you make your brain work harder to ignore it & filter it out. Like I said above, it's like cutting a hole out of a blanket. The more you do, the worse it gets.

Also: the word Lavish does not mean what you think it means.

Mikeaveli2682

Apr 18, 2018
He's talking about the reform one!
I have a fairly recent bottle of Interlude Man, not the most recent, but not a first release bottle by any means. It's strong, arguably too strong. If I use 3 sprays out of the stingy Amouage atomizer, I find myself sick of it after a few hours. It beats me into submission. It lasts for literally weeks on clothes. I have no idea what Sebastian is talking about.

augustya

Oct 4, 2014
I have no idea what Sebastian is talking about.

He is clearly saying that there is only certain segment of people who like it and they only keep saying that it is Best but for the fact of the matter is it is not s beast there are some here performing fragrances which project Monstrous and those can be called Beast and certainly Interlude is not one of them.

Now you have heard it from a famous YouTuber who day in and day out does Fragrance Reviews.

augustya

Oct 4, 2014
I have no idea what Sebastian is talking about.

He is clearly saying that there is only certain segment of people who like it and they only keep saying that it is Best but for the fact of the matter is it is not s beast there are some here performing fragrances which project Monstrous and those can be called Beast and certainly Interlude is not one of them.

Now you have heard it from a famous YouTuber who day in and day out does Fragrance Reviews.

Jul 7, 2012
...a youtuber who sprays so much that his sense of smell is probably shot, which explains why he often reviews scents with brutally harsh chemicals and doesn't notice. He seems like the nicest guy, so I hate to criticize, but I'm often shocked by the things youtubers don't notice in scents.

Clearly, you're unable or unwilling to accept this fact: The more fragrance you wear, the more likely you are to give yourself olfactory fatigue. Also: The more loud noises you surround yourself with, the more likely you are to give yourself aural fatigue. And the more you work under intense bright light, the more likely you are to give yourself visual fatigue. Etc etc etc.

It's sort of like somebody who overdoes it to such an extreme with spices and hot peppers when they cook that nothing is spicy enough or hot enough for them anymore. And they say "What? This isn't hot at all!" as their guests faces melt in sweat and in pain.

augustya

Oct 4, 2014
...a youtuber who sprays so much that his sense of smell is probably shot, which explains why he often reviews scents with brutally harsh chemicals and doesn't notice. He seems like the nicest guy, so I hate to criticize, but I'm often shocked by the things youtubers don't notice in scents.

Clearly, you're unable or unwilling to accept this fact: The more fragrance you wear, the more likely you are to give yourself olfactory fatigue. Also: The more loud noises you surround yourself with, the more likely you are to give yourself aural fatigue. And the more you work under intense bright light, the more likely you are to give yourself visual fatigue. Etc etc etc.

It's sort of like somebody who overdoes it to such an extreme with spices and hot peppers when they cook that nothing is spicy enough or hot enough for them anymore. And they say "What? This isn't hot at all!" as their guests faces melt in sweat and in pain.

lol ! That's not even Funny ! I dont know what else would it take to convince you ?

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
I've bought a bottle of the regular Interlude Man this year (2021 batch), which was probably made in the same time like the 53 extrait.

Honestly I've expected nothing because I've already seen that the quality of Amouage fragrances went down the last years - and I was so surprised when I tested and compared it to my older mid 2010ish batches.

It smells absolutely great and lasts >10 hours easily.
Again, it's an 2021 batch with an A....F... batch code, new style bottle with the "Interlude" printed on front of the bottle.
I even bought a second backup bottle of that particular batch because it's that good.

joolsp

Nov 2, 2021
IAGREE, COMPLETELY AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE ORIGINAL, apologies for caps but i find i get the most compliments when i wear this or NISHANE HACIVAT but both are very different and the interlude is the best VFM i have spent

Latest News