Ambre 114 vs Grand Soir

HMan

Mar 14, 2020
A114 is the stereotype of vanilic amber. Very well done, but after wearing several times, I got tired of it as I find it too sweet for my tastes, and think that it might shine better on a woman. Will sell my bottle soon.

GS is darker, a bit less sweet, more 'rocky'. Totally unisex to my nose, if not slightly masculine. It's only downside is the modest performance, as I'd expect it to be better at that price point.
Will enjoy my travel spray while it lasts, but it will not transform into a full bottle.

For a masculine opulent amber, I'd suggest

Lorenzo Villoresi - Ambra (very complex masterpiece, my favourite)
HdP - Ambrarem (animalic, my runner-up)
Tauer - L'Air du Desert Marocain (but one has to love coriander in order to appreciate that one)
DS&D - Amber Kiso (leathery/balsamic/sweet)
Rogue - Derviche (combined with vanilla and a hint of sweet tobacco)
MPG - Bois de Turquie (but one has to love bay leaf in order to appreciate that one)
YSL - M7 (orange-y myrrh and patchouli)
Goutal - Ambre Fetiche (medicinal myrrh)
L'Artisan - L'Eau d'Ambre Extreme (very mineralic)

Note that the last 4 are not top performer either. Also: I am not forgetting SL Ambre Sultan. I just don't like it, the aromatics blast in the top is a dealbreaker for me, but for who it's not, it might reveal to be an interesting interpretation of myrrh.
I had the same experience with HdP Ambre 114, and actually with a number of their scents.

I need to check out the Villoresi, naturally one I didn't get a sample of.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
I had the same experience with HdP Ambre 114, and actually with a number of their scents.

I need to check out the Villoresi, naturally one I didn't get a sample of.
Definitely get a sample of Villoresi's, but please don't blind buy, it's a risky one. It combines bitter greenness, sweet amber, medicinal amber, woods... You might love it or hate it, but it's that kind of fragrance that should be experienced at least once by any frag addict, imho.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
I own Ambre 114 right now, but didn't find Grand Soir quite good enough to buy. BUT that's largely because I already own Musc Ravageur which I find similar (and superior).

So, they (Ambre 114 and Grand Soir) may be a bit too different to judge 1v1. Both are good.

Latest News