Ambre 114 vs Grand Soir

ccdan

May 7, 2017
How do they differ? Which do you think is more "upscale" ? Which do you prefer? (I only tested Grand Soir, I like it quite a bit)

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
To me, ambre 111 is more centered on amber, Grand soir has amber but it's less amber-centric. Grand soir feels a bit more generic, so I prefer Ambre, though the fact that it has less personality probably means that it will feel more elegant and upscale. But you can't go wrong with either.

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
My favorite ambers:

Amouage Dia - ambery HEAVEN;
Atelier des Ors Larmes du Desert - woody amber, labdanum recital in the first hour, then it's more woody with amber in the background;
Amouage Jubilation - smoky (let's say) amber;
Aramis JHL - spicy (clove-cinnamon) moldy amber;
Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan - (very) spicy amber;
Jul et Mad Amour de Palazzo - spicy (nutmeg-clove) and a bit dirty and leathery round amber;
Prada Amber pour Homme Intense - myrrh-patchouli with a slight smooth soapiness;
Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe - boozy-fruity (almost decayed)-smoky amber, with musky-sweet licorice dry down;
Miller Harris La Fumee - spicy (coriander-cumin)-smoky amber;
Etro Sandalo - boozy-woody amber (less woody, camphorous and dirty than the vintage version).

-----

Very disappointed by the ambers from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Ambre Precieux, Ambre Dore, Ambre Mythyque. All of them have a metallic lavender which I hate. Ambre Mythyque dry down it's interesting.
I haven't tested Ambre Precieux Ultime.

Both are nice, but I prefer Ambre 114.
+1

Anyway, I don't like it that much anymore. :cry:

Last edited:

basicDave

Feb 7, 2014
Eisberg Man.
I‘ll show myself out.
I have purchased one of these "Eisbergs" after seeing your post in the dumb reach thread... I'm excited to see what it's all about. Cheers [emoji6][emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Rabidsenses

May 10, 2019
I already possess:

Ambre Nuit by Dior
Ambre Redoutable by Mugler (Ambre Nuit-esque but with more floral)
Vetiver Ambrato by Bois 1920

But I’ve been watching this thread with great interest because the two here in question are on my list for serious consideration. At this point I really don’t need another amber. However, mine tend to be much more supported profiles and, as such, certainly do not (in my mind) contend as a reference amber.

So for that reason, and as much as I’m intrigued by Grand Soir I was previously leaning towards Ambre 114 for the purposes of being a reference piece for the note, considered alongside, of course, the otherwise great reviews. This idea seems to come up.

However, I also worry if Ambre 114 might be considered a wee bit too basic at the same time and thus fails to bring any added value to what I already have? Plus some say the floral component is considerable enough that leads me to think it might not deviate enough? The price is right but it will hold little meaning if I don’t reach for it.

On the other hand, Grand Soir, on paper, should be the more reference amber in some ways. I especially like the support with labdanum in particular. Perhaps it’s just the name but some have actually suggested it to be the more special occasion scent (read: dress up). That’s probably okay as my go-to office and casual style certainly wouldn’t shun this fragrance. The notes suggest a powdery profile, no? Still, I’d have to accept the steeper price and, honestly, I’m not thrilled that anything to do with amber in my collection always goes north in this regard.

I’ll keep following this forum and reading. And will eventually just test, of course.

ccdan

May 7, 2017
I got a sample of ambre 114, I find it bland and boring.
I have to retract what I said. :) This one has grown on me. I find it nice and interesting, it gives off an exotic vibe(at least for me). Perhaps not better than GS, but good on enough on its own.

Rabidsenses

May 10, 2019
I have since acquired Ambre 114 by default because after giving it as a gift it was returned a month later. Why? - because it caused an allergic reaction on the otherwise appreciative recipient … Oops!! My only guess is that it was the patch.

It’s a good scent but not necessarily stratospheric so as to catapult it above other good ones I have/sampled. Having a small collection of “amber” fragrances I can see the “reference amber” part of it. While I do enjoy it I did receive this feedback from someone in my circle on two occasions: “You smell medicinal.” Yikes. Still, that’s just one person’s opinion but it’s still funny how Ambre 114 ultimately had to work its way into my collection…ha! Still, I think until I spend time with GS or something else the amber profile I prefer is Dior’s Ambre Nuit, which is to more accurately say I prefer the floral support over, say, a spicy or earthy one.

On another note, gifting fragrances - no matter how much research one does and no matter how good the intention - is really challenging.

Dec 29, 2020
Great timing, even I'm in the midst of comparing these 2.
I own a bottle of Grand Soir and got myself a 5 ml decant of Ambre 114. And I think I'm leaning towards Ambre 114.
There can be space for both in one's wardrobe, but if I have to choose just one, I'll pick Ambre 114. It's fluffy, cosy, airy, while not being overtly so. Very well measured, a perfect comfort fragrance.

FMilan

Mar 30, 2021
How do they differ? Which do you think is more "upscale" ? Which do you prefer? (I only tested Grand Soir, I like it quite a bit)

I compare them as I would compare, let's say, Invasion Barbare and 1725. They are both good, but one is the "upscale" version and the other is Histoires de Parfums

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
I compare them as I would compare, let's say, Invasion Barbare and 1725. They are both good, but one is the "upscale" version and the other is Histoires de Parfums
Is that a diss against 1725?? Invasion Barbare is not the upscale version of 1725 :eek:, just much more expensive, for whatever reasons

I retested Grand Soir a few days ago, I still find it too sweet and especially too thick. I sprayed it recently and it is sticky. It is kind of good, but also kind of not so good. Wasn't impressed by 114 either but for different reasons that I cannot recall. RawM.I.A. said it was dryer. That might be it

FMilan

Mar 30, 2021
Is that a diss against 1725?? Invasion Barbare is not the upscale version of 1725 :eek:, just much more expensive, for whatever reasons

I retested Grand Soir a few days ago, I still find it too sweet and especially too thick. I sprayed it recently and it is sticky. It is kind of good, but also kind of not so good. Wasn't impressed by 114 either but for different reasons that I cannot recall. RawM.I.A. said it was dryer. That might be it
Not exactly a diss, but an observation that something is missing and affecting the final result not in a positive way. 1725 is something much more on the designer-ish side of the things if that makes any sense (I would say it's closer to Armani Code, or something like that, than to IB, which is way too expansive alright, but a better perfume than 1725. Much better, imo) - but that just an impression and an opinion, I'm not trying to polemicize here. Ambre 114 is a better offering from HdP (compared to 1725). And I agree that Grand Soir is sticky, much more on the vanilla side and with a "rubber" feel lingering around that may become annoying throughout the day. Truth is: there are better ambers than both out there.

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Not exactly a diss, but an observation that something is missing and affecting the final result not in a positive way. 1725 is something much more on the designer-ish side of the things if that makes any sense (I would say it's closer to Armani Code, or something like that, than to IB, which is way too expansive alright, but a better perfume than 1725. Much better, imo) - but that just an impression and an opinion, I'm not trying to polemicize here. Ambre 114 is a better offering from HdP (compared to 1725). And I agree that Grand Soir is sticky, much more on the vanilla side and with a "rubber" feel lingering around that may become annoying throughout the day. Truth is: there are better ambers than both out there.
That's alright, did not really took it as diss ;)
Truth is, I just wasn't impressed by Invasion Barbare when I tested it (almost 2 years ago) but can't remember exactly why. Might be different today!

If I remember correctly, there was something... herbal? Or medicinal with 114 that I disliked.

Jul 7, 2012
Truth is, I just wasn't impressed by Invasion Barbare when I tested it (almost 2 years ago) but can't remember exactly why. Might be different today!

If I remember correctly, there was something... herbal? Or medicinal with 114 that I disliked.
I find Invasion Barbare to be cold, whereas 1725 has a base that is warm and inviting. Invasion Barbare smells like a man at the head of a corporate boardroom. 1725 smells like a man who is headed out for an exquisite dinner and perhaps a night at the theater, and I don't mean a movie.

I agree with your assessment of Ambre 114. It smells like a vintage amber to me. Grand Soir smells like a very modern amber. I could even describe Grand Soir as a designer style modern amber, but made with niche quality. I like it a lot, but it's too loud to suit my style. It's a big night on the town kind of scent, but I'm more of an intimate evening for two sort of guy. Grand Soir is an extravert's scent. I'm more of an introvert.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
A114 is the stereotype of vanilic amber. Very well done, but after wearing several times, I got tired of it as I find it too sweet for my tastes, and think that it might shine better on a woman. Will sell my bottle soon.

GS is darker, a bit less sweet, more 'rocky'. Totally unisex to my nose, if not slightly masculine. It's only downside is the modest performance, as I'd expect it to be better at that price point.
Will enjoy my travel spray while it lasts, but it will not transform into a full bottle.

For a masculine opulent amber, I'd suggest

Lorenzo Villoresi - Ambra (very complex masterpiece, my favourite)
HdP - Ambrarem (animalic, my runner-up)
Tauer - L'Air du Desert Marocain (but one has to love coriander in order to appreciate that one)
DS&D - Amber Kiso (leathery/balsamic/sweet)
Rogue - Derviche (combined with vanilla and a hint of sweet tobacco)
MPG - Bois de Turquie (but one has to love bay leaf in order to appreciate that one)
YSL - M7 (orange-y myrrh and patchouli)
Goutal - Ambre Fetiche (medicinal myrrh)
L'Artisan - L'Eau d'Ambre Extreme (very mineralic)

Note that the last 4 are not top performer either. Also: I am not forgetting SL Ambre Sultan. I just don't like it, the aromatics blast in the top is a dealbreaker for me, but for who it's not, it might reveal to be an interesting interpretation of myrrh.

Last edited:

Latest News