Ambergris Tincturing Technique?

junior_surgeon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
I accumulated a handful of 2-5g samples of ambergris and am not quite sure how to proceed with using them. They are way more fibrous than I expected, and difficult to manipulate and separate. I'd like to tincture them at 5%, but to do so should I cut the chunks in to small pieces first, and then apply heat to the tincture? I was thinking of cutting/grinding each chunk, adding them into the alcohol solution, and then putting each on a hotplate on a low heat setting with the stirbar constantly mixing them for a few hours, but would heat have any adverse effects on the scent profile? I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with this first before potentially ruining the samples as they were not cheap. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Edit: The heat would be to soften the fibrous chunks and help them to at least partially dissolve.

junior_surgeon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
I appreciate all the suggestions and put them to use today. I used the stir setting alone on the hotplate plate without heat for most of the day and the ambergris is nearly completely dissolved, save for a few chunks that seem to be insoluble.

Ambercelt

Oct 13, 2012
I accumulated a handful of 2-5g samples of ambergris and am not quite sure how to proceed with using them. They are way more fibrous than I expected, and difficult to manipulate and separate. I'd like to tincture them at 5%, but to do so should I cut the chunks in to small pieces first, and then apply heat to the tincture? I was thinking of cutting/grinding each chunk, adding them into the alcohol solution, and then putting each on a hotplate on a low heat setting with the stirbar constantly mixing them for a few hours, but would heat have any adverse effects on the scent profile? I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with this first before potentially ruining the samples as they were not cheap. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Edit: The heat would be to soften the fibrous chunks and help them to at least partially dissolve.
Hi, I was wondering...in what way was the Ambergris fibrous? I have never found fibrous Ambergris, though Ambergris formed on a fibrous clump of man-made material is not unknown...we have recovered two such little bits. On a few occasions bits of plastic and man-made threads have turned up buried deep in relatively young ambergris. It would be very unusual to find any man-made material in ancient white and that type of Gris will readily "melt" in perfumers alcohol at room temperature. In short if you are having troubles breaking it down in alcohol, it's very poor Gris or not Gris at all. I hope this info is of some help.

Latest News