All you need to know about Armani Acqua di Gio Profumo 2020 / 2021 Reformulation

Sloth

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 11, 2019
Fair enough.
I’m not trying to be argumentative but that particular source has proved less than reliable to date I think.
Perhaps the 40ml is simply an unpopular size?

Jun 13, 2021
According to official information, the production of the 40 ml version has already been discontinued and is not available on the official website. All other versions are currently available

40ml is such an odd size, I can see why it would be discontinued. For the price folks are mostly going to reach for the larger bottles.

FragFrog

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 6, 2018
The 40 ml ones also don't have the magnetic cap iirc - and the cost per ml is much higher than with the 125 ml ones.

Andyjreid

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2008
The 40ml size would be fine if wanting to travel light or something but, at least at discounters, a 75ml was only about 10 bucks more and then a 125ml about 15 bucks on top of the 75ml.

Profumo has become a bit hard to find in larger bottles in the UK, at least online

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
What exactly does ‘official’ information mean?
Without qualification it’s just another rumour.

It means that the information is a consequence of a question asked to Armani's support.
Fragrance brands customer supports are often outsourced, and often provide inaccurate answers - as incredible as it sounds - and with statements different from country to country...
Emails you might get from the company outsourced by cosmetics groups (L'Oreal, the owner of the Armani brand or LVMH, or Shiseido...) qualifies as rumour, not solid info.

tukulfurskul

Dec 30, 2021
Hello everybody,

I've read in some fragrance forums that people reported that Acqua di Gio Profumo has been reformulated and watered down in 2020 so it only lasts for about 3-4 hours...

I personally quite like AdG Profumo and think it's one of the best designer releases from the last few years.

That's why I wanted to find out what's all the fuss about and got me some brand new 2021 bottles:

View attachment 148978

View attachment 148979

View attachment 148980

View attachment 148981

The typical batch code system L'Oreal uses with those Armani fragrances (also with YSL) is:

xxRxxxx for 2018,
xxSxxxx for 2019,
xxTxxxx for 2020,
xxUxxxx for 2021...

You could also use Checkfresh to get the exact date of production if needed.

I had a 2019 bottle in use and compared it to the brand new 2021 batch.
To my surprise on the paper strip the 2019 one seemed a tiny litte bit weaker for the first 2-3 hours, then the 2021 was a tiny little bit weaker.
After 10 hours they were more or less the same.
Even after 5 days both strips still had a faint smell of AdG Profumo and if you gave me the strip of the 2021 batch for sniffing I could easily tell in a blind test that it's AdG Profumo.
So you might have guessed it: I have zero problems with the 2021 batch. It smells great and has really good longevity, projection and sillage.

The formulation code (FIL code - not the batch code) which is printed on the back of the box at the end of the ingredients list is still B170230/1 - that's the original formulation. So there wasn't any official reformulation whatsoever.

Of course batch to batch tolerances may happen with L'Oreal fragrances.
All I can say is that my particular 2021 batch performs great!

There you have it!

PS: I'd like to dedicate this thread to Eugen aka U Smells Good. 👅 :laugh:

Hey bro, just a side question...I recently got a bottle from a 2021 batch (June), and noticed it now has white lettering in the bottle instead of the usual silver metallic, do yours have white lettering as well? (I can't quite distinguish it in the pictures). I'm a bit worried of getting a fake and been asking this question everywhere 😅. Thanks, man.

FragFrog

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 6, 2018
do yours have white lettering as well?

No, my 2021 bottle, which is a 125 ml one, has the silver/metallic lettering in front of the bottle.
I've read on another forum that someone complained that his 2021 bottle hasn't got a magnetic cap.
Iirc that was just at the small 40 ml bottle which never had a magnetic cap.
I can't tell if that guy's bottle is legit.

Mine has the silver lettering and a magnetic cap, but probably there were some changes.
I'm still not sure if it's going to be discontinued or not.
It currently pops up at authorized sellers' webshops but only in smaller quantities and is sold out really fast.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...