All Things Ensar Oud

litworth

Mar 6, 2010
I was very tempted to just shut my mouth and not say anything about this, but I don’t understand how Tibetan Musk Ghalia isn’t more praised online. It’s impossibly beautiful. Anyone tried this and also tried the Tibetan Musk spray or edp from ensar and can compare?

avo1811

Dec 6, 2018
I was very tempted to just shut my mouth and not say anything about this, but I don’t understand how Tibetan Musk Ghalia isn’t more praised online. It’s impossibly beautiful. Anyone tried this and also tried the Tibetan Musk spray or edp from ensar and can compare?
They're quite similar. I'm out of town until Sunday but I will try them side by side when I'm home and report back. Ghalia is definitely more dense, as with most of the attars.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
So…. I’m super late to this party as well, but can someone point me to the EO that is most similar to old EO2 pure parfum (particularly its drydown)? There’s just so many offerings and so many iterations; I feel like I missed two decades of perfumery. Thanks.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
So…. I’m super late to this party as well, but can someone point me to the EO that is most similar to old EO2 pure parfum (particularly its drydown)? There’s just so many offerings and so many iterations; I feel like I missed two decades of perfumery. Thanks.
EO2 has quite a lot of spices in it, all three editions are different, OG has the most spices, 2.0 released in 2020 is much more balanced, the Kashmir edition from 2021 circles back to the OG with a lot of similarities. Private Blend would be the steroid version of EO2. IBN Arabi may give you a similar type vibe, Tibetan Musk is a different take of spicy Musk so if you like EO2 you'll most likely likeTibetan too.

Last edited:

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
Let me put it this way, last year when i bought the Iris Ghalia

EO2 has quite a lot of spices in it, all three editions are different, OG has the most spices, 2.0 released in 2020 is much more balanced, the Kashmir edition from 2021 circles back to the OG with a lot of similarities. Private Blend would be the steroid version of EO2. IBN Arabi may give you a similar type vibe, Tibetan Musk is a different take of spicy Musk so if you like EO2 you'll most likely likeTibetan too.
Thanks! I got my EO2 sample from SealedEssence; I don’t know if it was OG or 2020. The label just says EO #2. I’m guessing it’s the 2020. I now see what you mean by the spices… Based on your input, I will give the Tibetan a try. Thanks.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Rumi has an almost identical drydown. I think the same labdanum/musk components were used for that deliciously smooth amber scent. It’s basically EO2 without the ultra spiced accords and with added florals and tobacco.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
I will look Rumi up; I hadn’t heard of that one. It sounds like it’s exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks.
Awesome. I think there’s a couple bottles for sale here on basenotes. Basically Rumi is a similar framework to EO2. It even has Tibetan musk in the top notes but instead of all the spices he brings in really nice florals instead along with coffee and tobacco. If you’re mostly a fan of the drydown of EO2 then you’ll be stoked on Rumi because that same style of drydown lasts 12-16 hours on my skin.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
Awesome. I think there’s a couple bottles for sale here on basenotes. Basically Rumi is a similar framework to EO2. It even has Tibetan musk in the top notes but instead of all the spices he brings in really nice florals instead along with coffee and tobacco. If you’re mostly a fan of the drydown of EO2 then you’ll be stoked on Rumi because that same style of drydown lasts 12-16 hours on my skin.
Yeah I’m gonna get a sample and check it out. The only thing I’m worried about are the florals, especially anything that’s rosy. I just went through my collection today and was reminded of how much the rose note ruined Fille de Berlin for me. Sprayed it to remind myself that I don’t care for it, lol. So sometimes florals can become too much for me and ruin a perfectly good fragrance.

I love coffee and tobacco though so I’ve got high hopes for this one.

One thing I haven’t figured out yet is the difference between these musks. I saw the YouTube video where Ensar compared 3 different specimens. One, he said, was very sweet but I couldn’t determine if it was Tonkin or Tiberian. It definitely wasn’t Mongolian. I’m getting something that resembles ‘baby powder for adults’ in the drydown on EO2 and I love it, I just wish there was a way to amplify this part of the fragrance.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Yeah I’m gonna get a sample and check it out. The only thing I’m worried about are the florals, especially anything that’s rosy. I just went through my collection today and was reminded of how much the rose note ruined Fille de Berlin for me. Sprayed it to remind myself that I don’t care for it, lol. So sometimes florals can become too much for me and ruin a perfectly good fragrance.

I love coffee and tobacco though so I’ve got high hopes for this one.

One thing I haven’t figured out yet is the difference between these musks. I saw the YouTube video where Ensar compared 3 different specimens. One, he said, was very sweet but I couldn’t determine if it was Tonkin or Tiberian. It definitely wasn’t Mongolian. I’m getting something that resembles ‘baby powder for adults’ in the drydown on EO2 and I love it, I just wish there was a way to amplify this part of the fragrance.

Rumi has a gourmand profile, not a floral heavy scent, no worry there. The only rose forward scent is the EO Red, Sultan Red Rose, EO3, and Enchanted Rose, personally I don't feel the rose is overly done in those either, it's quite gentlemanly and elegant.

Rumi is one of the best chocolate/coffee scents I've ever smelled. ;)

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
Rumi has a gourmand profile, not a floral heavy scent, no worry there. The only rose forward scent is the EO Red, Sultan Red Rose, EO3, and Enchanted Rose, personally I don't feel the rose is overly done in those either, it's quite gentlemanly and elegant.

That’s good to know about the EO rose scents… I will stay away from those that you named.

Even gentlemanly roses get amped up on my skin, not that I’d want to smell gentlemanly. It’s like the floral notes get pushed forward or something. Curiously, as a woman, EO2 worked so much better for me than Chinese Oud did even though they are both leaning on the masculine side of things (musk for one, oud for the other). My next experiment is going to be to compare an EO musk to a similar Russian Adam musk. So far all of the ALD’s are lasting longer on my skin. Chinese Oud would have lasted all damn weekend if I hadn’t showered and scrubbed it off.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
a-bold-claim-dan-levy.gif

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
That’s good to know about the EO rose scents… I will stay away from those that you named.

Even gentlemanly roses get amped up on my skin, not that I’d want to smell gentlemanly. It’s like the floral notes get pushed forward or something. Curiously, as a woman, EO2 worked so much better for me than Chinese Oud did even though they are both leaning on the masculine side of things (musk for one, oud for the other). My next experiment is going to be to compare an EO musk to a similar Russian Adam musk. So far all of the ALD’s are lasting longer on my skin. Chinese Oud would have lasted all damn weekend if I hadn’t showered and scrubbed it off.

Every single release from ALD has been nuclear, i have not come across anything from that house that didn't perform....lol In the past I heard nitro musks are used in some of his compositions, but Russian Adam isn't exactly shy about letting people know he does use some synthetic sometimes. Russian Adam's musks came off way too powdery on my skin, I'm not a fan of it, none of ALD musks have that animalic spicy bite that is well known in EO releases. Speaking of musks, I have been lurking around for musk pods and tincture, the Siberian and Mongolian variety, they're very expensive, how much of it can be cramped into 30ml and 50ml when one has to keep the price down at sub $200? it's simply not profitable or sustainable without using some sort of synthetic at ALD price point.

I know a few women on Facebook's Fans of Ensar Oud absolutely love the Tibetan Musk, you should definitely get a sample if you can, the EDP is available on EO site at a discount still, not sure how long that would last, maybe consider jumping on the smaller 30ml?

Two other musk beasts that should work well for you, Musk Yusuf and Tonkin Musk. Unfortunately they're no longer available, yet. Keep an eye out for these two, but I haven't seen much of them in the used market, most people seem to hang on to theirs.

Personally, I love Tibetan musk more than all three editions of EO2, the musk is a bit spicier, has more bite, and more going on in the dry down. It's quite balanced.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
Every single release from ALD has been nuclear, i have not come across anything from that house that didn't perform....lol In the past I heard nitro musks are used in some of his compositions, but Russian Adam isn't exactly shy about letting people know he does use some synthetic sometimes. Russian Adam's musks came off way too powdery on my skin, I'm not a fan of it, none of ALD musks have that animalic spicy bite that is well known in EO releases. Speaking of musks, I have been lurking around for musk pods and tincture, the Siberian and Mongolian variety, they're very expensive, how much of it can be cramped into 30ml and 50ml when one has to keep the price down at sub $200? it's simply not profitable or sustainable without using some sort of synthetic at ALD price point.

I know a few women on Facebook's Fans of Ensar Oud absolutely love the Tibetan Musk, you should definitely get a sample if you can, the EDP is available on EO site at a discount still, not sure how long that would last, maybe consider jumping on the smaller 30ml?

Two other musk beasts that should work well for you, Musk Yusuf and Tonkin Musk. Unfortunately they're no longer available, yet. Keep an eye out for these two, but I haven't seen much of them in the used market, most people seem to hang on to theirs.

Personally, I love Tibetan musk more than all three editions of EO2, the musk is a bit spicier, has more bite, and more going on in the dry down. It's quite balanced.

I thought about going the musk pod route just to get a better feel for the process… but it’s so hard to find legit sources and then there’s the cost and the required patience. Im more of an instant gratification kind of girl.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019

FWIW, I love both Tonkin Musk and Tibetan Musk (I also love EO2) and I could see either Tonkin OR TIbetan working well on a woman. All three are among my favorite fragrances - ever.

I hate Musk Yusuf, although I could see that one working on a woman as well. There is a spice in it that reminds me of - pizza? That never goes away. Musk Yusuf is also not that musky on me - nowhere near EO2, Tonkin, or Tibetan (or even Tigerlust) but YMMV.

EO3 also has a very nice muskiness to it, and the rose in it is phenomenal. Wore it last night, along with my sample of Melange Privee SQ - and it was awesome.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
FWIW, I love both Tonkin Musk and Tibetan Musk (I also love EO2) and I could see either Tonkin OR TIbetan working well on a woman. All three are among my favorite fragrances - ever.

I hate Musk Yusuf, although I could see that one working on a woman as well. There is a spice in it that reminds me of - pizza? That never goes away. Musk Yusuf is also not that musky on me - nowhere near EO2, Tonkin, or Tibetan (or even Tigerlust) but YMMV.

EO3 also has a very nice muskiness to it, and the rose in it is phenomenal. Wore it last night, along with my sample of Melange Privee SQ - and it was awesome.
It’s the cumin you dislike. It’s very savory and umami rich but Ensar has been using these spices a lot. I even get a little rosemary and thyme in Musk Yusuf. But I do agree with you. The musk is more so the human pheromonal/sweaty aspect I pick up from the spices and Cambodian Oud base. I know some folks think cumin smells like body odor and honestly they’re not wrong. I enjoy that scent though wether it’s made through perfumery tricks or actual human sweat haha.

Sometimes I wish I could spray my wife with this stuff and who knows maybe if I ever want a divorce this would be akin to “serving papers”.

Jan 16, 2018

I also hated Musk Yusuf. It smelled like a spicy/sweet Indian condiment jam called Murabbo, I just couldn’t shake the association.

I love Tibetan Musk and Tonkin is not too bad either.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I thought about going the musk pod route just to get a better feel for the process… but it’s so hard to find legit sources and then there’s the cost and the required patience. Im more of an instant gratification kind of girl.

I did the math, trying to see what does it cost in getting the raw material to make a musk bomb, can get the musk tincture and pods from sibermusk (ninjarobb), for cost-saving I would have to get the musk tincture in bulk, like 100ml for $445, which has 10% concentration, but even just the very basic ingredients for 30ml composition, using Siberian tincture diluted down to 5% concentration(ensar standard), add 1 gram of organic oud like Oud Yusuf, another 1 gram of cheaper Zaza zen oud, these three simple compounds alone already ran up to $226.75. Once you add the top and heart notes, even something simple like Civet/Castoreum, Mysore Sandalwood, a few types of florals, some spices, and a decent perfume bottle, the price quickly runs up to around $400~450 price range to make a 30ml concoction. These are not even any special or vintage type compounds, no Sultan whatever, and definitely can forget about using any wild oud oils, the material cost alone quickly approaching close to EO's pricing to cook up an amateur composition. I probably would still do a small batch just for the fun factor, but there isn't really a cheap way to do it without using a crap ton of synthetics.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
Anyone tried the new EO1 siem reap? waiting on mine was curious to hear some opinions
Its good, if you have tried any of the EO1s - Assam, or Manipur, you pretty much know what you're getting. I don't notice all that much difference between any of those three TBH, very, very subtle differences. If you have EO1 Assam for example, I don't think you need to get EO1 Siem Reap.

vanglorious

Dec 1, 2021
Hey everyone, just wanted to keep you in the loop...I’m going back to school and am no longer actively on team EO. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to Besim here, or Adam and Josh on Facebook. Still a Fraghead though, and will certainly continue adding to the conversations in this wonderful community of ours. Cheers!
Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication my Brother. Congratulations and good luck with everything....

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Hey everyone, just wanted to keep you in the loop...I’m going back to school and am no longer actively on team EO. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to Besim here, or Adam and Josh on Facebook. Still a Fraghead though, and will certainly continue adding to the conversations in this wonderful community of ours. Cheers!
Best of luck in your journey, hope you do well....i'm sure we'll see ya around either here or FB group.

RedPillFrag

Mar 23, 2021
Its good, if you have tried any of the EO1s - Assam, or Manipur, you pretty much know what you're getting. I don't notice all that much difference between any of those three TBH, very, very subtle differences. If you have EO1 Assam for example, I don't think you need to get EO1 Siem Reap.
Nice I love EO1 Assam and I gladly have a back up with SIem so lol

RedPillFrag

Mar 23, 2021
Anyone in here can compare henry Jaques perfumes with ensar compositions? I have seen in split pages that those are quite expensive even more than ensars sometimes but I never tried one.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I have a sample of HJ Musk Extra and to me it’s leagues above anything artisan, you just can’t compare imo.
For real?

looking at this stuff:

1642537859065.png

and then i saw the note breakdown:

1642537893033.png

Did they forget to mention maybe the bottle was wrapped in 24K gold chain? Looks like another Roja wannabe trying to cash in, or is it just a prank and a bad joke?

$1999
1642538422986.png

Latest News