All Things Ensar Oud

RedPillFrag

Mar 23, 2021
Leather pouch came with the original 2018 50ml EO2 PP and EDP (leather sleeve with bottom cutout), the majority of the 2020 EO2 2.0 releases came with round stickers for both PP and EDP, 2021 EO2 Kashmir (this is the latest 3rd release) came with gold plate. I did a brief comparison between all three batches few pages back here: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/476013-All-Things-Ensar-Oud?p=5507218&viewfull=1#post5507218

Thx for the reply, I didnt remember your comparison, So you have the 50ml 2020 edition but that as well has the leather pouch. so was not just the first 2018 OG. Also you are saying that the 2020 edition has same performance of the manipur.. The manipur being the first edition?

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Thx for the reply, I didnt remember your comparison, So you have the 50ml 2020 edition but that as well has the leather pouch. so was not just the first 2018 OG. Also you are saying that the 2020 edition has same performance of the manipur.. The manipur being the first edition?

2020 releases has performance similar to EO1 Manipur, typo corrected.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Finally received my EO3 after it took a trip from OH to MA then back to OH again.

The opening has quite a prominent citrus notes, like lemon pulp instead of lime, it's smooth without any sharp edges, but definitely more citrusy than Sultan Red Rose. The rose note from the EO3 is very delicate, with zero powdery, doesn't smell jammy to me either, it's very light, delicate, and ethereal, as Joe put it. The bigger kick comes from the Musk, which is very pronounced from the opening to mid drydown, with just a hint of spices in between, i'm getting mostly the combination of Mongolian and Tibetan, quite tame and gentle, it's not as animalic as the Tibetan Musk PP but also not as gentle and shy as the Mongolian musk from Chypre Sultan, there's a hint of Tonkin musk here, but it's not as forward as the other two. I think the choice of musks here is excellent, if this had Siberian musk, it may have overshadowed the delicate Taifi rose note here, I feel the combination of Mongolian, Tibetan, and Tonkin musks strike a much better balance. As far as the Oud, it has some herbal quality to it, only playing a supporting role to both the Taifi rose and Musks, very mild in the background. Not perceiving much (if any) ambergris on this wearing,

This is not the typical Rose/Oud fragrances, definitely a Rose/Musk, and the Rose is VERY balance here, I was a bit worried that the EO3 may come off a bit on the feminine side but luckily that's not the case. I'm sure any females can rock this EO3 just fine, but I would say the Musks here tips the scale slightly more toward masculine than feminine. Overall very good projection, unsure of the longevity yet. This is not redundant if you already have the Sultan Red Rose. On me, the SRR has more prominent roses than musk, while the EO3 has more prominent musks than roses, one is a lion and the other is tiger, they are both big cats, but not the same, if you know what I mean. I think Ensar would have call the EO3 white rose, or something along that line. EO3 does NOT share any DNA with EO1 or EO2, this is completely different and unique from the other two, most definitely worthy of the EO3 name.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Finally received my EO3 after it took a trip from OH to MA then back to OH again.

The opening has quite a prominent citrus notes, like lemon pulp instead of lime, it's smooth without any sharp edges, but definitely more citrusy than Sultan Red Rose. The rose note from the EO3 is very delicate, with zero powdery, doesn't smell jammy to me either, it's very light, delicate, and ethereal, as Joe put it. The bigger kick comes from the Musk, which is very pronounced from the opening to mid drydown, with just a hint of spices in between, i'm getting mostly the combination of Mongolian and Tibetan, quite tame and gentle, it's not as animalic as the Tibetan Musk PP but also not as gentle and shy as the Mongolian musk from Chypre Sultan, there's a hint of Tonkin musk here, but it's not as forward as the other two. I think the choice of musks here is excellent, if this had Siberian musk, it may have overshadowed the delicate Taifi rose note here, I feel the combination of Mongolian, Tibetan, and Tonkin musks strike a much better balance. As far as the Oud, it has some herbal quality to it, only playing a supporting role to both the Taifi rose and Musks, very mild in the background. Not perceiving much (if any) ambergris on this wearing,

This is not the typical Rose/Oud fragrances, definitely a Rose/Musk, and the Rose is VERY balance here, I was a bit worried that the EO3 may come off a bit on the feminine side but luckily that's not the case. I'm sure any females can rock this EO3 just fine, but I would say the Musks here tips the scale slightly more toward masculine than feminine. Overall very good projection, unsure of the longevity yet. This is not redundant if you already have the Sultan Red Rose. On me, the SRR has more prominent roses than musk, while the EO3 has more prominent musks than roses, one is a lion and the other is tiger, they are both big cats, but not the same, if you know what I mean. I think Ensar would have call the EO3 white rose, or something along that line. EO3 does NOT share any DNA with EO1 or EO2, this is completely different and unique from the other two, most definitely worthy of the EO3 name.

Now everyone can breathe out, Xcaliber has spoken and placed a royal seal of approvement! :thumbsup:

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
Now everyone can breathe out, Xcaliber has spoken and placed a royal seal of approvement! :thumbsup:

Too bad the 30ml bottles are sold out now.
Next time I expect Ensar to take an overnight flight and hand deliver EO4 to xcaliber so that we can get that review in on time.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020

Scent is subjective, what I like others may not, I'm just a bit surprised the Santal Sultan wasn't named EO3...yea i know I'm biased toward the SS, but it is also just as unique, unlike any other EO releases too. I wonder what made Ensar chose Rose over Sandalwood as his number 3. :p

Too bad the 30ml bottles are sold out now.
Next time I expect Ensar to take an overnight flight and hand deliver EO4 to xcaliber so that we can get that review in on time.

Ensar said there will be gold plate EO3 available soon, fear not, it will be available again soon enough.

JonoBorneo

Jan 30, 2019
Scent is subjective, what I like others may not, I'm just a bit surprised the Santal Sultan wasn't named EO3...yea i know I'm biased toward the SS, but it is also just as unique, unlike any other EO releases too. I wonder what made Ensar chose Rose over Sandalwood as his number 3. :p

Ensar said there will be gold plate EO3 available soon, fear not, it will be available again soon enough.

Hm that’s interesting! Never thought of Santal Sultan in that context. I think the trinity of Rose, Oud, and Musk fall more in line with the overarching themes in all of EO’s perfumery, but sandalwood is right there as well; perhaps because it’s typically a supporting basenote, it didn’t reach the name-sake line ;).

I think the 30ml’s with plates are up on the website. If anyone has any problems ordering, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Hm that’s interesting! Never thought of Santal Sultan in that context. I think the trinity of Rose, Oud, and Musk fall more in line with the overarching themes in all of EO’s perfumery, but sandalwood is right there as well; perhaps because it’s typically a supporting basenote, it didn’t reach the name-sake line ;).

I think the 30ml’s with plates are up on the website. If anyone has any problems ordering, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

From a uniqueness standpoint, Santal Sultan was completely new to me compared to all other previous releases, we all have smelled Oud, Musk, and Rose in one form or another in all his previous releases right? but Santal Sultan has the Sandalwood front and center being the main player, it's the first from Ensar, another one that comes close is the new C&P Tonkin, also has quite a bit of sandalwood, but different take, and not quite as forward and dominant as the Santal Sultan. Obviously I'm biased toward Santal Sultan, absolutely love that stuff, but this EO3 is great as is, not really nitpicking or anything like that, just a thought out of curiosity is all. :-D

But yea, I guess it does make sense why Rose is picked as the number 3, to stay in alignment with the overall theme.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Ok, Now the Eo3 scent is unique; how about longevity and sillage ?
Thanks

Sillage is good, but as far as longevity, i know all of my ALD stuff always perform noticeably better after a few weeks, it would only be fair to give EO3 the same chance and same amount of time so I can come back to evaluate its longevity properly, way too early to form a conclusion now, but based on the very first wearing, longevity seems to align with EO1 and EO2. It is certainly NOT as nuclear as Homeros or Notes from underground, those two were bombastic right out of the gate from the very first wearing, those two are beast mode on day 1 when i received them. Joe said he can still smell his EO3 like 12hr later, so I think the performance is there.

I'm not even sure if one could make a delicate note like Taifi rose to go balistic, doing so would most likely completely neutered if not destroyed the delicate characteristic of the Taifi scent profile, and probably would result in a very jammy and maybe even cloying type of rose scent, not sure, maybe those with more experience with these rose scent could chime in.

SOB111

Feb 9, 2019
I need to give credit when credit is due. The EO team are definitely superior to any other "niche" house (and most other online perfume stores) in terms of speed and efficiency in fulfilling orders after checkout, and getting the product out the door for delivery.
I placed an order for EO3 earlier today (after Xcalibre's glowing reviews) and within an 1hr I had received the DHL tracking number and confirmation that the order was being dispatched. Top class in this respect.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
And that was good performance?

If the scent profile is good or great, then I would say anywhere between 6~8hr is good enough for me personally. I sold the EO1 Manipur initially, but the scent was too good to ignore and I missed it, so I bought it again and accept the fact that it would never perform like Homeros.

RedPillFrag

Mar 23, 2021
If the scent profile is good or great, then I would say anywhere between 6~8hr is good enough for me personally. I sold the EO1 Manipur initially, but the scent was too good to ignore and I missed it, so I bought it again and accept the fact that it would never perform like Homeros.

I agree I think the same for EO1 Assam and Tibetan Musk, not bombs of performance but good enough for the quality of the scent that is exeptional.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I agree I think the same for EO1 Assam and Tibetan Musk, not bombs of performance but good enough for the quality of the scent that is exeptional.

Same here, I kept those two as well because they have a great scent profile, there isn't anything else out there that smells anywhere close to this stuff.

Fwilko

Jul 2, 2018
A belated thanks to the posters who helped me keep my DHL issues in perspective, they got to me the next day and all is well. To be fair theyve been great every other time I used them I probably shouldve cut em a little slack before complaining here.

Anyway I can echo a few of the previous posters in saying what a gem Tibetan Musk is. Not sure what I can add to the descriptions of the scent already given throughout the thread, but I can at least offer my experience with the projection/longevity and say both are solid. I hit a t shirt with 2 sprays when i first got the package and threw the shirt on the back of a couch. Ive been getting hit with wafts at my desk 25 feet away over the course of 2 days now which has been a really pleasant surprise. If it gets any stronger with age itll be monstrous

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
Scent is subjective, what I like others may not, I'm just a bit surprised the Santal Sultan wasn't named EO3...yea i know I'm biased toward the SS, but it is also just as unique, unlike any other EO releases too.

I just got a decant of it today, its nice but I don't know. I don't think its worth what it costs. Maybe my nose isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate it.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
I just got a decant of it today, its nice but I don't know. I don't think its worth what it costs. Maybe my nose isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate it.

You got to answer a question - is scent focused on artistic aspect, or on beauty of material, and view it from that standpoint.
One of the best if not the best sandalwood i witnessed in Ward by Al Shareef. I can totally recognize beauty of material, and its worth the price based on that. But based on artistic standpoint, its around $200 mark. At that price - its awesome :)

Anomalus763

Nov 8, 2013
I've only tried E01, E02, and tigerlust but I find that the notes are all muddled in composition. They don't blend well to make a perfume that actually smells good. None of them smell good to me. They smell wild and natural but not appealing. Ingredients may be natural but so far I'm not feeling his technique and the price point no way hosay. I'd rather buy backup bottles of my favorite Bortnikoff's and ALD's.

RedPillFrag

Mar 23, 2021
It seems it is a house that uses a lot of natural oils of course they use white musk instead of musk tincture but I believe the taifi rose is natural it smells amazing very close if not equal to the one in EO3 try it and then tell me. Maybe it is a case similar to dev2 and EO2 I dont know man... I was shocked as well and it was at my local perfumery. It is a niche brand btw but it seems they are in commerce since a while that fragrance is from 2014.
It was made by Luca Maffei that has 143 fragrances under his belt...so maybe that goes into it as well.. for sure he is a good perfumer the Extrait costs 275 euros for 50ml btw that would be around 320 dollars for a 50ml. not cheap at all. so the ingredients are there for sure... of course not the ultra dupa sultan qaboos ultra rare niche ingredients but taif rose is def in there and it smells amazing.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
You wont believe it but I have found a perfume that has the same note as EO3 for 130 euro for 100ml EDP it is freaking amazing same exact jammy lemony taif rose minus the musk tincture but it is very very very very close to EO3...I will drench myself in this. It is Exceptional.

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Perris-Monte-Carlo/Rose-de-Taif-24062.html

The geranium is going to change the taifi profile, a few reviewers mentioned geranium being too overpowering on this, along with being powdery, which the EO3 has none of that. While the Oud from the EO3 isn't prominent but it is still there all the way through the far dry down. EO3 isn't very rosy, it's quite subtle, which i like about it. Based on all those reviews from that link, it seems like a very different scent profile than EO3?

JonoBorneo

Jan 30, 2019
The first review of this other “taifi” scent literally mentions the fake musk smelling like detergent...just a heads up for anyone who is sensitive to synthetics. That’s a huge red flag.

Comparing partially-synthetic rose perfumes to a real and natural one is, imo, like comparing a McDonald’s Big Mac with a dry-aged steak. Sure, both may taste good, and both are technically beef, but they’re not one in the same...not even close.

Aug 8, 2019
For those who have also tried Dixit and Zak's Charbagh, how would you say it compares to EO3? I've been looking for a rose fragrance as good as Charbagh, but nothing comes even close, and a full bottle of Charbagh is impossible to find. Hopefully EO3 can satisfy the rose craving!

RedPillFrag

Mar 23, 2021
The first review of this other “taifi” scent literally mentions the fake musk smelling like detergent...just a heads up for anyone who is sensitive to synthetics. That’s a huge red flag.

Comparing partially-synthetic rose perfumes to a real and natural one is, imo, like comparing a McDonald’s Big Mac with a dry-aged steak. Sure, both may taste good, and both are technically beef, but they’re not one in the same...not even close.

Off course I agree with your comment however I didnt detect any synthetic smell in this one at all only the beautiful natural smelling taifi rose accord that is juicy lemony jammy and a bit greener than the EO3 one. I couldnt detect the synthetic musk at all I think it is not overdosed at all as the scent just lasts for 3 max 4 hours on my skin and it is not overpowering. it gets a good 2 hours of good projection and bubble around you and after 4 hours is gone completely..so I dont think they overdosed the musk or any synthetics.
The perfumer here has done a masterful job and for an EDP it is an amazing perfume for its cost. If anyone wants to have an idea on how the EO3 note smells I think they should give it a try.

I will compare the two soon on me to see how much difference I can detect between the two.

I couldnt detect the geranium note @xcaliber. It instantly transported me into the EO3 note and it was like being in the EO3 bubble for 3 hours for me... I know it sounds absurd but I had that experience.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019

While I agree that you can only get so close to real musk and high quality Rose with synthetics, I find it kind of cringe when people compare any use of synthetics to McDonalds. Like we should just forget Coty’s Chypre, Chanel no 5, shalimar, mitsouko, Bal al Versailles, or any number of the true masterpieces of perfumery. Ensar himself doesn’t forget. He has artistic benchmarks that use synthetics. We all know you can make a masterpiece with synthetics and a dud with naturals. I’m
in this thread because I think Ensar and team make great stuff and I am a “fan” but come on let’s not dismiss every other perfume in the world, as an ad for Ensar perfumes.

RedPillFrag

Mar 23, 2021
While I agree that you can only get so close to real musk and high quality Rose with synthetics, I find it kind of cringe when people compare any use of synthetics to McDonalds. Like we should just forget Coty’s Chypre, Chanel no 5, shalimar, mitsouko, Bal al Versailles, or any number of the true masterpieces of perfumery. Ensar himself doesn’t forget. He has artistic benchmarks that use synthetics. We all know you can make a masterpiece with synthetics and a dud with naturals. I’m
in this thread because I think Ensar and team make great stuff and I am a “fan” but come on let’s not dismiss every other perfume in the world, as an ad for Ensar perfumes.

I tot agree with you too. I recently tried chanel n18 and I was mesmerised by its elegance it is like an ultra robust strong masterpiece technically. I could feel that it was not 100% natural but was blended so well that it made me feel like I was experiencing something rare and exceptional that transported me in a beautiful place. It was like instantly wearing a suit in a ballroom in the 1920s. This will make me check the classic Chanels for sure now and I binged for reviews of the exclusive collection online. I think Chanel and Guerlain can have in them some technically perfect perfumes that can make you make unique experiences even if they do not use many naturals in them. Imagine giving Ensar ingredients to Jaques Polge....actually I would pay Ensar to do something like that 100%. Maybe he should open his atelier to the best perfumers in the world and make them make some unique masterpieces a bit like Fredric Malle is doing then they can sign their creations but under the EO label.

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
Imagine giving Ensar ingredients to Jaques Polge....actually I would pay Ensar to do something like that 100%. Maybe he should open his atelier to the best perfumers in the world and make them make some unique masterpieces a bit like Fredric Malle is doing then they can sign their creations but under the EO label.

That, my friend, would be the end of Ensar (and most of the so called 'artisans') as a perfumer.

Picasso2014

Oct 26, 2020
In search of a leather, after many many samples. Of EO SLA, russia de cuir from adam, tom fords tuscan and tuscan intense, 5 of the memo blends, to my snoot, the SLA takes it for my taste. And while i may throw on the fords or memos, its only because i am trying to kinda hang on to the sla for good occasion. I also hv found i am just not as fond of the western stuff as its sharper on my nose and feels like an aftertaste goes from my nose to my mouth. I dnt get that fron eo, bortnikoff or the russisn ada. That goes for all blends except wasser 4711. Its so light it just doesnt put off that effect.

So in general, at this time in this journey, the ouds are my preference,. Sadly, EO seems to hv gotten almost out of my price range. It just seems to be going higher and higher, thus the reason for my search to the western alcohol stuff, but to me. Just not a fair comparison. The ouds of all the lines i hv tried are much more soothing to wear. Thanks for all those before me who hv given many opiniins that i hv used to guide. Now looking a musk i can enjoy, took a year to nail down a leather list

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
In search of a leather, after many many samples. Of EO SLA, russia de cuir from adam, tom fords tuscan and tuscan intense, 5 of the memo blends, to my snoot, the SLA takes it for my taste. And while i may throw on the fords or memos, its only because i am trying to kinda hang on to the sla for good occasion. I also hv found i am just not as fond of the western stuff as its sharper on my nose and feels like an aftertaste goes from my nose to my mouth. I dnt get that fron eo, bortnikoff or the russisn ada. That goes for all blends except wasser 4711. Its so light it just doesnt put off that effect.

So in general, at this time in this journey, the ouds are my preference,. Sadly, EO seems to hv gotten almost out of my price range. It just seems to be going higher and higher, thus the reason for my search to the western alcohol stuff, but to me. Just not a fair comparison. The ouds of all the lines i hv tried are much more soothing to wear. Thanks for all those before me who hv given many opiniins that i hv used to guide. Now looking a musk i can enjoy, took a year to nail down a leather list

To be honest I don't find ANY EO product resemble a real leather note, at least it's not at all convincing enough to perceive it as leather to me, didn't find it in EO1 OG, Manipur, Assam, SLA Manipur, I still own all of these and like them regardless.

Manly from ALD has a very realistic fresh Suede leather in the opening, too bad the leather note only lasts about 30min. Anubis by Papillon also has a pretty dang realistic suede leather note that lasts a lot longer, and back by a great scent profile as well.

iris noir re-release i wonder what's been changed

Personally, I wasn't a fan of the previous 2020 release, didn't work with my skin chemistry, it came off with a very heavy dose of gasoline odor that I couldn't overcome, i didn't see a violet leaf in the note break down but I couldn't stand it, got rid of the full bottle almost immediately. But there are a lot of people who love the Iris Noir, different strokes for different folks.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Off course I agree with your comment however I didnt detect any synthetic smell in this one at all only the beautiful natural smelling taifi rose accord that is juicy lemony jammy and a bit greener than the EO3 one. I couldnt detect the synthetic musk at all I think it is not overdosed at all as the scent just lasts for 3 max 4 hours on my skin and it is not overpowering. it gets a good 2 hours of good projection and bubble around you and after 4 hours is gone completely..so I dont think they overdosed the musk or any synthetics.
The perfumer here has done a masterful job and for an EDP it is an amazing perfume for its cost. If anyone wants to have an idea on how the EO3 note smells I think they should give it a try.

I will compare the two soon on me to see how much difference I can detect between the two.

I couldnt detect the geranium note @xcaliber. It instantly transported me into the EO3 note and it was like being in the EO3 bubble for 3 hours for me... I know it sounds absurd but I had that experience.

As long as you like the scent profile, that's what matter to be honest.

I probably gonna get crucified for saying this, but if you want a different take on powdery rose heavy fragrance, take a look at the Toy Boy by Mochino, the powdery rose is beast mode on this thing, last all day long. It's a great scent to wear to bed or right out of the shower, quite refreshing, only $50 for 100ml if you shop around, it's what I would grab when i feel like getting a heavy dose of powdery rose. Even my daughter loves this one. LOL :lolk:

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Moschino/Toy-Boy-55858.html

moschinoburjack_fy4.jpg

Last edited:

RSharma314

Aug 3, 2006
For those who have also tried Dixit and Zak's Charbagh, how would you say it compares to EO3? I've been looking for a rose fragrance as good as Charbagh, but nothing comes even close, and a full bottle of Charbagh is impossible to find. Hopefully EO3 can satisfy the rose craving!

Charbagh is one of the best representation of old school Indian Attar style Rose Oud combo. With the leather added in, EO3 reminds me of generic Arabian style Rose Musk Attar. Remember that Charbagh does not have any Musk, and has a cleaner and deep Rose essence enhanced by Oud and Sandalwood, whereas EO3 is more Musk focused. Between the two Charbagh wins for me, but you got me intrigued about layering both - EO3 as the Musk forward base, with Charbagh's Rose for the middle and top.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
Well if “Toy Boy” came with the models I’d have already bought it. Otherwise I’ll pass :/

I’m sure ‘someone’ will crucify your in their mind’s eye but it’ll be for posting those photos, not the toy boy recommendation. Anyways… I’d take the models but pass on their synthetic perfume.

Latest News