All Things Ensar Oud

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Any recent feedback on Sultan Red Rose? That one intrigues me, but I'm thinking of waiting on EO3 to arrive first lol

I did a preview of it a few pages back. Not impressed with it, and certainly doesn't worth the premium price to me personally. Not something i would buy even if it was $599/30ml.

Meanwhile, my EO3 was shipped yesterday and is still in transit, I have a good feeling about this one.....haha.

HabibiGotIt

Apr 9, 2020
Without making references to the Hulk or gagging, can anyone describe what they are smelling in the new Thai Tabac that is so off-putting? I own and love the original PP. The new one smells similar but has a distinct oakmoss/vetiver green-inky scent on top of the sweet, creamy sandalwood and jasmine that everyone loved in the original. It isn't my favorite thing in the world, but I am hardly gagging. I asked my wife, who is pretty sensitive to these things (she hates most ouds) and she said it smelled more or less like the old one.

Do I wish that this version was similar to the old one but with the beautiful calfskin bottle? Of course. Do I regret buying it? Not really. I have a feeling that over time the green top note will mellow and this perfume will be spectacular, but perhaps I am over-optimistic.

Anyways, what do y'all think accounts for this change in scent? What material do you think it is?

Edited to add: at worst, the new TT reminds me for some reason of Southeast/East Asian food. I don't know why. Did Ensar use Pandanus in this? I think he used it in the previous formulation. Maybe a bigger dose? Maybe a funkier material?

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Without making references to the Hulk or gagging, can anyone describe what they are smelling in the new Thai Tabac that is so off-putting? I own and love the original PP. The new one smells similar but has a distinct oakmoss/vetiver green-inky scent on top of the sweet, creamy sandalwood and jasmine that everyone loved in the original. It isn't my favorite thing in the world, but I am hardly gagging. I asked my wife, who is pretty sensitive to these things (she hates most ouds) and she said it smelled more or less like the old one.

Do I wish that this version was similar to the old one but with the beautiful calfskin bottle? Of course. Do I regret buying it? Not really. I have a feeling that over time the green top note will mellow and this perfume will be spectacular, but perhaps I am over-optimistic.

Anyways, what do y'all think accounts for this change in scent? What material do you think it is?

Edited to add: at worst, the new TT reminds me for some reason of Southeast/East Asian food. I don't know why. Did Ensar use Pandanus in this? I think he used it in the previous formulation. Maybe a bigger dose? Maybe a funkier material?

the vetiver is different and the oud (green pap) u know have a very green vetiver and a green oud with minerality which amplify each other

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019

The vetiver used in the new TT is what I find unappealing. It plain smells bad to me. Similar to the vetiver in VN19 by Bortnikoff, which is another fragrance that doesn’t work for me, but more in your face. For what it’s worth, I smelled a strip about 24 hrs after a spray of this and got that Thai iced tea vibe I’ve seen mentioned by a couple people when describing the original TT. I’d wear just that.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
The vetiver used in the new TT is what I find unappealing. It plain smells bad to me. Similar to the vetiver in VN19 by Bortnikoff, which is another fragrance that doesn’t work for me, but more in your face. For what it’s worth, I smelled a strip about 24 hrs after a spray of this and got what people described as Thai Iced Tea when describing the original TT.

do u feel that (awful blast) comes across like a copper coin

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
That didn’t come to mind for me. I got something more sour and ripe than metallic, but possibly in the ballpark.

like when i tried it the first time my eyes literally wrenched open at how extreme it was that i don't know if i can even spray it again

98ViperGTS

Feb 10, 2012
like when i tried it the first time my eyes literally wrenched open at how extreme it was that i don't know if i can even spray it again

It would be a great injustice if you don't try it again. Upon first spray, I was definitely taken aback as well. It was super green. In your face pungent green. My wife turned up her nose at it. I came back to it 2 hours later, and it was very beautiful. My wife smelled it again, and couldn't believe it was even related to the same fragrance. I left it for a week, and now after 10 mins or so, I get all the beauty of this scent. The green in the opening is not nearly as harsh anymore. I get it, some people aren't down with strong vetiver, and to each their own, but this is extremely well done. There's barely any sweetness to it, but I definitely get the green tobacco leaf. The creamy leather. Can't compare it to the old, as I haven't smelled it. But this will be a beautiful fall scent

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
It would be a great injustice of you don't try it again. Upon first spray, I was definitely taken aback as well. It was super green. In your face pungent green. My wife turned up her nose at it. I came back to it 2 hours later, and it was very beautiful. My wife smelled it again, and couldn't believe it was even related to the same fragrance. I left it for a week, and now after 10 mins or so, I get all the beauty of this scent. The green in the opening is not nearly as harsh anymore. I get it, some people aren't down with strong vetiver, and to each their own, but this is extremely well done. There's barely any sweetness to it, but I definitely get the green tobacco leaf. The creamy leather. Can't compare it to the old, as I haven't smelled it. But this will be a beautiful fall scent

i will give it a go but im sick currently so i cant do it now

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
What killed it for me is the Vetiver and the Oud used in this latest version. I honestly do hope more people would like it, we need more people to like it lol but this one is not for me personally.

HabibiGotIt

Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I can see how a combination of vetiver and a green oud would create that ripe green opening.

I have my fingers crossed that this perfume will age and its more appealing facets will dominate. All-natural fragrances tend to smooth out over time. We will see. It is certainly true that about 30 minutes after spraying, it smells almost exactly like the OG Thai Tabac, which IMHO was probably one of Ensar's most beautiful works.

I have also come to appreciate the OG EO1. I only bought 9.5ml of it and have just over 1ml left. I love it SOOO much and wish I had purchased a full bottle. It was just too intense and complex for me at the time. I hadn't even tried an Areej back then. Did people like the new editions of EO1? If he puts out another flanker, I suppose I'll have no choice but to buy it.

rameez1

May 4, 2021
Hi guys it’s been a long time! I’m currently waiting on something that’s special before I splash out as I’m 18 and don’t want to blind buy something that isn’t worth it. I’ve got loads from ensar like cp new, Tibetan musk, Homeros, the jasmine Tibetan pp and something else I can’t recall ( it’s been a long time since I’ve smelled them! Just waiting on them to macerate a bit more) and many oils but I think the new ones aren’t as strong as the Homeros I got. I’ve just come back to the new Borneo zen Tibetan and it has gotten stronger tbh. It literally smells exactly like the flower! Has anyone else gotten this? If so, what are your thoughts now?

Jul 23, 2021
I really had high hopes for Thai Tabac when I ordered it. But when I read the reviews and it was compared to the one perfume I would never wear thats when fear set in my heart. When I first sprayed Thai Tabac, I was reminded immediately of Vetiver Absolute Nocturne and was very disappointed. It Is simply too green and the deeper I inhale the scent, the more I dislike it. There's this very sharp wet grass and leaves note that I just cant enjoy. I really wish I could enjoy it, but thats really my genuine impression of this perfume. I have 9 EO perfumes (including EO3 which is on the way) and I love each one of them and I admire Ensar's craft, creativity and blending skills. I praise the EO perfumes I have on my Instagram posts, but Thai Tabac was just off putting and not the olfactory experience I usually crave. Nevertheless, this experience will not stop me from blind buying EO perfumes.

I applied Thai Tabac on a strip while writing this, and still feel the same way. On the positive side, I will hopefully be getting my EO3 this early Friday and I'm so excited.

AnyEmerald

Sep 18, 2017
I guess Ensar is having a thing for Vetiver at the moment. Monsieur Oud now has Vetiver also. Zero brooding oud note in there like the attar to my nose. Not a drop! May as well be called Vetiver Monsieur. Shame they didn’t update the write up for Thai Tabac and OM on the site it could have saved some people a lot of disappointment.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I guess Ensar is having a thing for Vetiver at the moment. Monsieur Oud now has Vetiver also. Zero brooding oud note in there like the attar to my nose. Not a drop! May as well be called Vetiver Monsieur. Shame they didn’t update the write up for Thai Tabac and OM on the site it could have saved some people a lot of disappointment.

that sucks, the Monsieur Oud i bought last Thanksgiving is a very pretty scent, no off-putting vetiver or anything like that, looks like Ensar changed the composition on the latest batch, damn.....that vetiver shizzo is killer.

AnyEmerald

Sep 18, 2017
that sucks, the Monsieur Oud i bought last Thanksgiving is a very pretty scent, no off-putting vetiver or anything like that, looks like Ensar changed the composition on the latest batch, damn.....that vetiver shizzo is killer.

Yeah, total buzzkill. Not sure if a swipe of oud will improve it really but I can’t imagine it working too well. Smells like a misleading rip off to me and nothing more.

rameez1

May 4, 2021
No chance bro I have to pay for my own things I work for him and have done since I was 15 ������

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
No doubt rameez. When I was your age I was working to turbo my street car. You’re buying ensars :)

I’ll be honest, when I read you were 18 I was shocked that you would gravitate to these scents. There’s no way your peers get them, they’re what most people would refer to as “mature scents”. What’s your take on that?

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I’ll be honest, when I read you were 18 I was shocked that you would gravitate to these scents. There’s no way your peers get them, they’re what most people would refer to as “mature scents”. What’s your take on that?

There was this 21yr old on FB doing reviews on all sort of EO and wearing $18K Rolex, probably some entrepreneur. I can see some younger guys gravitate toward this stuff, it is unique and unlike anything else out there. I didn't get into this Oud stuff until in my mid 40s, was never interested in any scent like this at all.

rameez1

May 4, 2021
The main reason I would say is that I rarely go out and just save. I’m from the streets but praise be to God I was taken away from that and pretty much got rid of all my old friends. I don’t splash out on crazy things kids do so yeah :) Tbh if I want to buy things I want them to be worth what I’m paying for and this is, 100%. I know I’ll have these for years and they just help you relax when you need to. I’ve never been that guy that likes something because someone else does. I do get the mature thing and tbh it is another reason I buy them. Once you smell them, you’ll never go back!

HabibiGotIt

Apr 9, 2020
The main reason I would say is that I rarely go out and just save. I’m from the streets but praise be to God I was taken away from that and pretty much got rid of all my old friends. I don’t splash out on crazy things kids do so yeah :) Tbh if I want to buy things I want them to be worth what I’m paying for and this is, 100%. I know I’ll have these for years and they just help you relax when you need to. I’ve never been that guy that likes something because someone else does. I do get the mature thing and tbh it is another reason I buy them. Once you smell them, you’ll never go back!

The streets lead only to one place...Jeremy Fragrance (astaghfirullah). Thank the Almighty (swt) you were spared from such an ignoble fate...

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
It would be a great injustice if you don't try it again. Upon first spray, I was definitely taken aback as well. It was super green. In your face pungent green. My wife turned up her nose at it. I came back to it 2 hours later, and it was very beautiful. My wife smelled it again, and couldn't believe it was even related to the same fragrance. I left it for a week, and now after 10 mins or so, I get all the beauty of this scent. The green in the opening is not nearly as harsh anymore. I get it, some people aren't down with strong vetiver, and to each their own, but this is extremely well done. There's barely any sweetness to it, but I definitely get the green tobacco leaf. The creamy leather. Can't compare it to the old, as I haven't smelled it. But this will be a beautiful fall scent

Wow man join date Feb 2012 and this is your first post???

You win the "Ultimate Lurker" award. Glad you joined the party though!

rameez1

May 4, 2021
May Allah bless you akhi. I’ve bumped into a few old mates and most of my friends are in jail or have been stabbed or shot. May Allah guide them

JonoBorneo

Jan 30, 2019
Oh boy.... there is one helluva rant on FB about the various comments on this forum regarding the use of vetiver in TT and MO....

Not a pointless rant, Ensar just wanted to set the record straight regarding the use of Vetiver in Monsieur Oud. It’s always been there, and the formula ratios have not changed.

In Ensar’s words

“ It irks me to say, some good folks from our midst have been dropping fibs about a couple of the new releases. Whether done willingly to harm the brand or unwillingly due to a misconception or lack of acquaintance with perfumery basics, this kind of thing must not go unaddressed. If not for anything else, knowledge is strength and ignorance is akin to death itself. And we cannot have our friends going around misinforming others.

You know how when fellow perfumers list Vanilla, Patchouli, Sandalwood and Oud as top notes in a scent pyramid you get this funny feeling in your stomach… Well, I am equally embarrassed to read that the presence of vetiver in the new Monsieur Oud is – “in the spirit of the new Thai Tabac” – a complete travesty because the OG was never a “vetiver perfume”…

There are so many things wrong with that statement, I can almost write a book about it.

First of all, Monsieur Oud was always a “vetiver perfume” – IF a perfume containing vetiver is automatically classified as such. You can see where this is going… According to that logic EO1, too, is a vetiver perfume. As is Iris Ghalia, even Sultan Red Rose.

The reality of the matter is, a perfume is not classified as a “vetiver perfume” if it contains vetiver just as it isn‘t rendered a “labdanum perfume” by the mere presence of labdanum. Or a “sandalwood perfume” if it contains sandalwood. – If that were true, not just Santal Sultan but nearly ALL of the EO perfume line would be “sandalwood perfumes” – just as they’d also be “patchouli perfumes” or “labdanum” ones, or “rose” perfumes, or “ambergris” ones…

What I’m trying to say here is, vetiver is one of the building blocks of perfumery. It is equally important as an ingredient as rose, oakmoss, labdanum, and patchouli. It is WAY more important than Oud, frankincense, myrrh, tuberose, blue lotus, frangipani, or any top note: lavender, all spices, cedars, and citruses. Without the foundation, you can never build the house, and vetiver is exactly that: one of the foundational building blocks of perfume. Without vetiver, you’d have no chypres, fougeres, Orientals, or even classic colognes. The entire Indian perfumery tradition would be in the bin. French perfumery would be maimed beyond recognition…

This brings us to the next salient piece of misinformation being spoonfed along with the above: The presence of the vetiver is a departure from the OG… There was an equal amount of vetiver in the Monsieur Oud OG – be it the original attar or first spray edition – as there is in the current one. Not one drop more.

Do yourselves a favor guys, if you have concerns about any of the fragrances, come and air them here where you can get real answers to your questions and, might I humbly add, stand to learn something you didn’t know before. Airing your concerns in a space where the only answers you’re likely to get are as misinformed as the questions only leads to compounded ignorance. And they haven’t developed any cures for that yet. ��

To recap: calling a perfume a “vetiver perfume” due to the mere presence of vetiver betrays a lack of understanding of perfumery basics. This might be excused in the case of someone who is into designer frags; in the case of an artisanal perfume connoisseur, it is inexcusable.

The next piece of forum humbug that’s being spread around by some of our friends is the departure of the new Thai Tabac from the OG – again, due to the vetiver that’s in it… ����*♂️����*♂️����*♂️ Though this time, the culprit is not the mere presence of vetiver – it’s the substitution of one type of vetiver for another! Kinda like saying, traditional Hindi Oud is a travesty when compared to clean plantation Thais… or better yet, Givaudan’s Black Agar, or Leather Oud by Firmenich. ������

If you have a problem with real Ruh Khus being used instead of vetiveryl acetate or the sterile vetiverol that’s in every designer frag – and you’d rather smell like Leather Oud or Black Agar instead of Oud Yunus or the Chugokus – and the one-spray “beast mode” of musk ketone and synthetic civet is dearer to you than vintage Tibetan deer musk – and you dig ambroxan way more than beachcombed New Zealand white… then what on God’s earth do you want with Thai Tabac and Monsieur Oud, mi vida? ������“

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Not a pointless rant, Ensar just wanted to set the record straight regarding the use of Vetiver in Monsieur Oud. It’s always been there, and the formula ratios have not changed.

In Ensar’s words

“ It irks me to say, some good folks from our midst have been dropping fibs about a couple of the new releases. Whether done willingly to harm the brand or unwillingly due to a misconception or lack of acquaintance with perfumery basics, this kind of thing must not go unaddressed. If not for anything else, knowledge is strength and ignorance is akin to death itself. And we cannot have our friends going around misinforming others.

You know how when fellow perfumers list Vanilla, Patchouli, Sandalwood and Oud as top notes in a scent pyramid you get this funny feeling in your stomach… Well, I am equally embarrassed to read that the presence of vetiver in the new Monsieur Oud is – “in the spirit of the new Thai Tabac” – a complete travesty because the OG was never a “vetiver perfume”…

There are so many things wrong with that statement, I can almost write a book about it.

First of all, Monsieur Oud was always a “vetiver perfume” – IF a perfume containing vetiver is automatically classified as such. You can see where this is going… According to that logic EO1, too, is a vetiver perfume. As is Iris Ghalia, even Sultan Red Rose.

The reality of the matter is, a perfume is not classified as a “vetiver perfume” if it contains vetiver just as it isn‘t rendered a “labdanum perfume” by the mere presence of labdanum. Or a “sandalwood perfume” if it contains sandalwood. – If that were true, not just Santal Sultan but nearly ALL of the EO perfume line would be “sandalwood perfumes” – just as they’d also be “patchouli perfumes” or “labdanum” ones, or “rose” perfumes, or “ambergris” ones…

What I’m trying to say here is, vetiver is one of the building blocks of perfumery. It is equally important as an ingredient as rose, oakmoss, labdanum, and patchouli. It is WAY more important than Oud, frankincense, myrrh, tuberose, blue lotus, frangipani, or any top note: lavender, all spices, cedars, and citruses. Without the foundation, you can never build the house, and vetiver is exactly that: one of the foundational building blocks of perfume. Without vetiver, you’d have no chypres, fougeres, Orientals, or even classic colognes. The entire Indian perfumery tradition would be in the bin. French perfumery would be maimed beyond recognition…

This brings us to the next salient piece of misinformation being spoonfed along with the above: The presence of the vetiver is a departure from the OG… There was an equal amount of vetiver in the Monsieur Oud OG – be it the original attar or first spray edition – as there is in the current one. Not one drop more.

Do yourselves a favor guys, if you have concerns about any of the fragrances, come and air them here where you can get real answers to your questions and, might I humbly add, stand to learn something you didn’t know before. Airing your concerns in a space where the only answers you’re likely to get are as misinformed as the questions only leads to compounded ignorance. And they haven’t developed any cures for that yet. ��

To recap: calling a perfume a “vetiver perfume” due to the mere presence of vetiver betrays a lack of understanding of perfumery basics. This might be excused in the case of someone who is into designer frags; in the case of an artisanal perfume connoisseur, it is inexcusable.

The next piece of forum humbug that’s being spread around by some of our friends is the departure of the new Thai Tabac from the OG – again, due to the vetiver that’s in it… ����*♂️����*♂️����*♂️ Though this time, the culprit is not the mere presence of vetiver – it’s the substitution of one type of vetiver for another! Kinda like saying, traditional Hindi Oud is a travesty when compared to clean plantation Thais… or better yet, Givaudan’s Black Agar, or Leather Oud by Firmenich. ������

If you have a problem with real Ruh Khus being used instead of vetiveryl acetate or the sterile vetiverol that’s in every designer frag – and you’d rather smell like Leather Oud or Black Agar instead of Oud Yunus or the Chugokus – and the one-spray “beast mode” of musk ketone and synthetic civet is dearer to you than vintage Tibetan deer musk – and you dig ambroxan way more than beachcombed New Zealand white… then what on God’s earth do you want with Thai Tabac and Monsieur Oud, mi vida? ������“

Whoa. Went a little ballistic, didn’t he? And rhetorics aside, completely missing the picture. The beef that seemingly irate customers have revolves around what’s perceived to be an unpleasant change in the scent profile. Obviously something’s been modified even if the concentration of every ingredient remains unchanged. Didn’t he at least smell the latest iteration and compare it to the OG?? :undecided:

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
F*** man, can he ever just say that "yes i f***ed up"?

People gave him feedback, take it and dont use same vetiver again. Clearly in og case "vetiverol" was preferred material to use in new TT.

And the drama about vetiver perfume, sandalwood perfume.....its not about material, its about its strength.

Honest to God....this manchild is out of this world

Swoleiosis

Jan 10, 2020
lol at how he's re-framing ppl saying the vetiver being unpleasant and so strong that it becomes the main note with some semantic diversion about how, "since perfumes have many ingredients, therefore tons of perfumes can akshuhlee be a lavender or vetiver or oud perfume." Such a transparent attempt to re direct the conversation and not have to address valid criticisms.

Anyway, still looking forward to EO3 impressions. Can't wait for my sample decant.

Last edited:

JonoBorneo

Jan 30, 2019
..I think his point was to talk to him about your concerns; rather than bash the fragrances without first smelling them or hearing what he has to say about their formulations. In the case of Monsieur Oud, the vetiver-bashing was unwarranted in Ensar’s eyes because the dose of vetiver in each iteration is exactly the same.

amyrox89

Aug 12, 2021
Hi, does anyone know why I can't join Fans of Ensar Oud on Facebook? i tried to join the group but then i couldn't find the group, as i was prevented from finding the group :cry:

Swoleiosis

Jan 10, 2020
A lot of this could be avoided if EO Inc was more straight forward about their vision for their fragrances, their development, goals, ingredients, note pyramid, changes from one iteration to the next, etc. I think Mellifluence Attars is the gold standard in that regard, I hope others copy his approach.

JonoBorneo

Jan 30, 2019
Hi, does anyone know why I can't join Fans of Ensar Oud on Facebook? i tried to join the group but then i couldn't find the group, as i was prevented from finding the group :cry:

Anyone can join so long as they agree to the rules, and have followed them in the past:

Be kind and courteous,
no hate speech or bullying,
no promotions or spam,
respect everyone’s privacy
and no sales.

I’m not sure who you are on Facebook, but pm me and I can send you an invite.

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019
On the topic of formulations by EO that don’t smell like the original releases, I received and wore for the first time the new C&P. It smells more like Santal Sultan than the C&P I remember, but it is magnificent stuff. Really loving it. A+

One spray to the chest = solid performance. I see some mixed reports regarding performance on this one. Maybe less is more with this one.

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019
..I think his point was to talk to him about your concerns; rather than bash the fragrances without first smelling them or hearing what he has to say about their formulations. In the case of Monsieur Oud, the vetiver-bashing was unwarranted in Ensar’s eyes because the dose of vetiver in each iteration is exactly the same.

I know it rubs people the wrong way, but I like to see an artist defend his art and engage in discourse with consumers directly and on their level.

Latest News