All Things Ensar Oud

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
I always thought that Ensar in general is a bit more interesting then Bortnikoff, so to read that they are now on par (yes only 2 members so far) is really disheartening.

Just for my personal understanding( feel free to not answer if you dont want to), those who like most of ensars work - are you an open, creative, artistic and having a feeling about something, influences your life decisions? And those who are not so excited about his stuff - are you more reserved, like to analyze and compare and make a move only when you found "the best" in category? I am curious how personality type influences, in this case, decision on ensars work, and could that have a broader implication in perfumery overall?

I would say I judge a perfume the same as I do music or movies or any other thing I enjoy that reaches for my wallet. It doesn’t have to be a certain genre or played with certain instruments but it needs to be original, exciting, authentic, creative....I could go on forever. If you are going to use the same chord progression that’s been used a million times there better be something that gives it a edge up over everything else...a brilliantly written melody, a funky twist with a different time signature, a placement of notes that bring something new or, it could be a classic run of the mill progression, “ok” melody but performed perfectly, or maybe there’s a flute or a xylophone that brings out a different angle to the composition.

It’s really hard to generalize what makes music good...similar to perfume. Sometimes it’s just boring and uninspired, sometimes the addition of one element is what sets it apart, sometimes the entire composition is just brilliant. I will also say that a good composition can be ruined with overproduction or in the case of perfume, too “well blended”. There are many many aspects, can’t generalize because too many variables that can lead to something being great, or being “bleh”.

mustardsalad

Jan 27, 2016
Trying the Tibetan Musk Ghalia sample I got - the drydown on this is pretty damn good. A mix of something suggesting chocolate, like truffles, and soapy. But like the old school Paco Rabanne Pour Homme oakmoss bomb soap smell of old. All in a musk. This is complex, dense, and high quality. I don't know how much more my wallet can take, lol.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Thai Tabac is still something very special, the minty thai iced tea vibe never gets old! one spray to the chest and it just keeps going on and on and on, projecting like a beast. I wonder how many synthetics and other toxic chemicals are being used in this concoction, because according to Ensar's most recent logic, a beastly performer like this isn't the norm....

"My ethos, as EO, is to give you the most delectable and elegant aromatics in your bottle. The only caveat being that ‘elegance’ and ‘monster projection’ do not belong in the same sentence: They’re antitheses of each other."

I beg to differ, Ensar...

Thai Tabac need to have a word with you!

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
me too! I think this one will be so missed after it goes to Valhalla ;)

Absolutely, for those who were lucky enough to try it. I sort of accidentally ended up with 2 bottles, about 5 1/2 grams total and I’m glad lol.

Honestly, after smelling it; I think SLA is better. When you factor in the price (even with inflated aftermarket prices for SLA when it comes up) its SLA over SLG by a landslide.

I LOVE SLA!!! But they are too different from each other for me to compare one against the other...I use them both for completely different “vibes” or moods. But I might lean towards SLG even with the price difference. I know it sounds crazy because the ridiculous price but it’s that good (and unique) to me. But yeah, 2 100% wins for sure. Cant wait for the next SLA.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Thai Tabac is still something very special, the minty thai iced tea vibe never gets old! one spray to the chest and it just keeps going on and on and on, projecting like a beast. I wonder how many synthetics and other toxic chemicals are being used in this concoction, because according to Ensar's most recent logic, a beastly performer like this isn't the norm....

"My ethos, as EO, is to give you the most delectable and elegant aromatics in your bottle. The only caveat being that ‘elegance’ and ‘monster projection’ do not belong in the same sentence: They’re antitheses of each other."

I beg to differ, Ensar...

Thai Tabac need to have a word with you!

LOL. I don’t care what EO puts in it - I LOVE Thai Tabac. It’s just all round awesome.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Got the Santal Sultan PP today, at 70% concentration there isn't much projection to be had obviously, which is to be expected.

Half a spray on my wrist and dab them together a few times to get an even spread, I'm only getting about 4 to 5" of projection, it's like sprayable attar as Ensar put it. Very bright citrus notes in the opening with a blast of spicy clean oud in my face, the oud is short-live and went away 5 to 10min, I'm getting a very distinctive fresh cinnamon stick with a hint of ginger, this immediately reminded me of the Cinnamon Tea from Korean BBQ restaurant they sometimes offer. Plenty of jasmines but I'm not getting any pineapple. There's a heavy dose of very warm ambergris, not animalic or funky at all, it's just sweet and warm, leaving a slight feeling of stevia sweetener in the back of my throat, the ambergris here is much more pronounced than the EO1 Manipur. There's not a lot of musks though, if there is....maybe it's that Sultan Kaboob type stuff, or whatever softcore musk that I simply can't detect. The sandalwood I'm smelling here is quite creamy and vanillic, not very woody, it's VERY different than those from the new C&P. The overall composition is very luxurious, smooth, and rich, how do you put it....Opulent. This is by far THE most elegant scent profiles I've ever smelled from Ensar Oud. If you guys are a fan of Sandalwood, you should at least sample this, or get a few ml decant, it's VERY different than everything else I've ever owned and bought from Ensar! This stuff is oozing some luxurious shit. I probably should put a small dab on my mask so i can smell it all the time when I'm out and about. Out of all the 2021 releases, for the very first time I feel like I'm getting my money worth....sad but true! LOL

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
Glad you enjoy it. I agree little projection but very opulent. It just wraps around you like a familiar glove. One of the newer directions that the Ensar team has explored lately. A smooth enticing wear that receives a place next to my old reliable Trumpers and Embers.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021
Got the Santal Sultan PP today, at 70% concentration there isn't much projection to be had obviously, which is to be expected.

Half a spray on my wrist and dab them together a few times to get an even spread, I'm only getting about 4 to 5" of projection, it's like sprayable attar as Ensar put it. Very bright citrus notes in the opening with a blast of spicy clean oud in my face, the oud is short-live and went away 5 to 10min, I'm getting a very distinctive fresh cinnamon stick with a hint of ginger, this immediately reminded me of the Cinnamon Tea from Korean BBQ restaurant they sometimes offer. Plenty of jasmines but I'm not getting any pineapple. There's a heavy dose of very warm ambergris, not animalic or funky at all, it's just sweet and warm, leaving a slight feeling of stevia sweetener in the back of my throat, the ambergris here is much more pronounced than the EO1 Manipur. There's not a lot of musks though, if there is....maybe it's that Sultan Kaboob type stuff, or whatever softcore musk that I simply can't detect. The sandalwood I'm smelling here is quite creamy and vanillic, not very woody, it's VERY different than those from the new C&P. The overall composition is very luxurious, smooth, and rich, how do you put it....Opulent. This is by far THE most elegant scent profiles I've ever smelled from Ensar Oud. If you guys are a fan of Sandalwood, you should at least sample this, or get a few ml decant, it's VERY different than everything else I've ever owned and bought from Ensar! This stuff is oozing some luxurious shit. I probably should put a small dab on my mask so i can smell it all the time when I'm out and about. Out of all the 2021 releases, for the very first time I feel like I'm getting my money worth....sad but true! LOL

I wore it today as well. I wish the beginning blast with the citrusy vibes continue for ever, as I'm not a huge fan of the dry down of this perfume.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
seeing alot of love santal sultan PP, seems to be one of the more popular recent offerings

It's pretty much a sprayable attar, the projection of the PP is only about 4 inches from skin, then you'll have to bury your nose to smell it after a few hours. I think this is something I'm going to apply on my neck or behind ears like attars. I wonder if the 50% EDP would project a bit more without compromising too much in notes.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
It's pretty much a sprayable attar, the projection of the PP is only about 4 inches from skin, then you'll have to bury your nose to smell it after a few hours. I think this is something I'm going to apply on my neck or behind ears like attars. I wonder if the 50% EDP would project a bit more without compromising too much in notes.

Waiting on my split, but knowing your history of what you like (roughly), I'd say your definition of "proper projection" is more, er, robust than mine. Lol.

That being said, your question about the EDP is exactly why I vacillated between the two. That "extra alcohol" can sometimes be as much of a boon as a detriment. Since we're talking sandalwood, it's not something that will project massively anyway. So the question becomes one of projection vs longevity...maybe. But good sandalwood, even in the lesser concentration, should still last for a pretty long time.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Sultan Red Rose - received a sample of this with my Santal Sultan PP, it's very interesting, this is not your typical Rose/Oud flanker, it is more like Rose/Musk. The EO description is hard to decipher, so skip all that poetry and just imagine an ethereal sweet rose on top of Tibetan Musk, with a bit of clove in the mix, that's pretty much what I'm getting....an animalic and spicy rose musk. A superstar with a super price to match it, $750 for 15ml. lol

It is pretty and wild at the same time, I'd call it..... Le Marilyn d'Monroe. ;-)

20210811_175410.jpg

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Waiting on my split, but knowing your history of what you like (roughly), I'd say your definition of "proper projection" is more, er, robust than mine. Lol.

That being said, your question about the EDP is exactly why I vacillated between the two. That "extra alcohol" can sometimes be as much of a boon as a detriment. Since we're talking sandalwood, it's not something that will project massively anyway. So the question becomes one of projection vs longevity...maybe. But good sandalwood, even in the lesser concentration, should still last for a pretty long time.

haha....the longevity is there for sure, the scent profile is absolutely gorgeous..... so i'm ok with this attar-like projection, the sillage is acceptable as well, I think you'll like this one.

I'm definitely contemplating on trying out the EDP at some point, i just take a whiff of the sprayer....good lord, what a stunner!

I thought there's some 'beef jerky' in the bottle as usual, upon closer inspection I believe they are tiny sandalwood chips. lol

20210811_183148.jpg

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019

I have the EdP and it projects more on my skin than what I see people describing with the PP. It projects a bunch for two hours and then more like what you’d expect from an Extrait. I consider it good projection and really good longevity.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
I have the EdP and it projects more on my skin than what I see people describing with the PP. It projects a bunch for two hours and then more like what you’d expect from an Extrait. I consider it good projection and really good longevity.

Thanks for this, J. If I like the PP split, still not sure which I'll go with. The extra 100 is less moving than the experience I prefer.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020

Glad to hear, thanks for the input man. :thumbsup:

Thanks for this, J. If I like the PP split, still not sure which I'll go with. The extra 100 is less moving than the experience I prefer.

The scent profile of the Santal Sultan is fire! Wearing it the second time today, like a crackhead I simply can't stop sniffing this stuff, it's so addicting!! Tbh, this one really caught me by surprise. I've just ordered the EDP and hope to get it by the middle of next week.

Last edited:

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019
Can anyone compare/contrast Tibetan Musk to Private Blend and EO2? Are they at all similar? Does Tibetan Musk have a Fougere quality to it from the lavender? I’m really curious to try this one, but with EO2 and Private Blend already in my collection, I def don’t need another one in the same vein.

avo1811

Dec 6, 2018
Can anyone compare/contrast Tibetan Musk to Private Blend and EO2? Are they at all similar? Does Tibetan Musk have a Fougere quality to it from the lavender? I’m really curious to try this one, but with EO2 and Private Blend already in my collection, I def don’t need another one in the same vein.

In my opinion, EO2 and Private Blend are somewhat close, but Tibetan Musk is a fair amount different. Tibetan Musk is sharper in the open, more citrus. I could also see saying that it slightly leans fougere-ish for awhile due to the lavender. I prefer Tibetan Musk to the other two honestly. Still mad at myself for swapping mine.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019

I've never smelled the Private Blend, but Tibetan Musk is nothing like EO2 to me (at least, the EO2 version I have, from 2019). EO2 is a musky fragrance, sure, but its a lot like Crime & Punishment; there is a lot going on and the musk is deftly blended with a bunch of other notes, leather, spices, citruses, sandalwood, florals. Tibetan Musk, on the other hand, is MUSK, all caps, front and center. I was hoping the other notes - especially the blackcurrant and lavender - would be more prominent; this sounded right up my alley. Unfortunately its not. ALL I get from it is musk and not a musk I particularly enjoy, its earthy, a bit... truffle-y? toffee/chocolate-y? (as Ensar himself said) and does not yield whatsover to the other notes its blended with, rather, it tramples them. I love (2019) EO2. Did not enjoy Tibetan Musk.

Jul 20, 2021
Can you elaborate on that? What don't you like about the dry down specifically?

the dry down is very simple, very straightforward, nothing special. the first few minutes you will get a pleasant citrusy creamy buttery aroma which will be perfect if it continues like that. unfortunately it doesn't. you will end up with sandalwood and very woody aroma which will be there after the first 20-30 minutes until the smell vanished.

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
the dry down is very simple, very straightforward, nothing special. the first few minutes you will get a pleasant citrusy creamy buttery aroma which will be perfect if it continues like that. unfortunately it doesn't. you will end up with sandalwood and very woody aroma which will be there after the first 20-30 minutes until the smell vanished.

Do you have the PP or EDP? mine creeps back in every now and then which makes it so good. Granted not like the beginning but it is still raising it head for a long time. I have the PP. I did notice on the EDP set with Chypre Sultan it vanished after thirty minutes. Poof! and it was gone.

Jul 20, 2021
Do you have the PP or EDP? mine creeps back in every now and then which makes it so good. Granted not like the beginning but it is still raising it head for a long time. I have the PP. I did notice on the EDP set with Chypre Sultan it vanished after thirty minutes. Poof! and it was gone.

I have the PP. longetivity is not an issue for SS, it stayed on my skin for +10 hours, but the issue is the scent profile itself, specifically the dry down.

for Chypre Sultan I got the edp as well, and I get feeling of smelling grains of something in the dry down of it (I don't know how to descripe it [emoji23]). unfortunately also for this one the dry down is disappointing and incomparable to the opening.

mustardsalad

Jan 27, 2016
For what it's worth, I love the drydown on my Santal Sultan PP - if anything, it's the initial CINNAMON STICK IN YOUR FACE opening that I wait out to pass, and the rest of the journey is my favorite part.

I'd love if he offered .7mL samples of his EDPs and PPs.

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
For what it's worth, I love the drydown on my Santal Sultan PP - if anything, it's the initial CINNAMON STICK IN YOUR FACE opening that I wait out to pass, and the rest of the journey is my favorite part.

I'd love if he offered .7mL samples of his EDPs and PPs.

Totally agree on both accounts. A unique change of pace from his usual offerings. Like I alluded to before I like the way the Ensar team is going.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
I'm still on the fence about buying Sultan Sultan and it's is a really tough call for me. I enjoy musk centric fragrance with sandalwood but otherwise enjoy fragrances where sandalwood plays a supporting role. I don't really appreciate sandalwood as much as some other people do on here so I'm a bit on the fence about this sandalwood-centric fragrance.

It seams to me that some members like Xcaliber love strong spices from Ensar and a heavily spiced opening wows them; others aren't crazy about the strong cinnamon opening and enjoy the fragrance the most when it dries down to the sandalwood base; however at that point, I'm guessing it's just a skin scent.

I'm having a hard time convincing myself to buy another fragrance at $20/ml (or $16.7/ml) for what I know if going to be a skin scent past the opening blast of spices (that may or may not be my thing). If this had Iris Ghalia performance or surrounded me in a light aura during the drydown like EO1 and EO2 then that would at least be a tangible experience to consider paying for; but a skin scent? I dunno.

With that recent Ghaliya Hind release from Dixit & Zak at $3.30 per ml, It really has me contemplating the logic of paying $16.70-$20 per ml for an Ensar composition that has skin-scent performance throughout the majority of its wear and a composition that might in the end, not even be preferable to the deeply enjoyable Ghaliya Hind.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
In light of Tigerlust going away (to a trade) I decided to bust out the OG 9.5ml and give it a single spray. I have to start doing that before I post stuff for swap because holy crap, I think this might be the best Musk composition. It’s so elegant in a wild raw way...but sparkly and goldenly beautiful at the same time. I’ll definitely cherish what I have left in the tester. This still stands as one of my favorite compositions of all time. One spray fills the house and it’s an amazing scent. I remember EO1 being very similar but with a refined natural realistic leather note. I’ll have to bust that out tomorrow.

It’s interesting how the TL EDP was more potent than the PP. I wonder if adding the ambergris tincture somehow cancelled out with other notes and made it less strong and less complex?

Edit: The ambergris in here is incredible, I love how Ensar does ambergris.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
20210813_183005_resized.jpg

I have all three versions of the EO2 now, the OG from 2018, 2020 release, and the 2021 Kashmir. I have a spray of the OG on the back of my hand, and a spray of the other two on each inner elbow to compare them at the same time.

2018 OG PP 7.5ml: Extremely heavy in spices, a cloves bomb, salty, musky, quite linear and flat, but very dark, and potent.

2020 release PP 50ml: This is more refined and balanced, cloves is dialed down, a hint of minty freshness from the Oud being used here, not much complexity either. This is my favorite of the three, performance is equivalent to the EO1 Manipur PP.

2021 Kashmir PP 30ml: This is VERY similar to the OG, like 99% similar, Ensar did a good job replicating the original release, the Kashmir name seems more gimmicky, If you're a huge fan of the OG, this is pretty much a clone of it.

Last edited:

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Too bad he cant mimic the OG price :tongue:

I know right? same juice, much higher price!! I really can't tell the difference between the OG and Kashmir. Wish i'd save the money for more Santal Sultan.....dammit.

I'm still on the fence about buying Sultan Sultan and it's is a really tough call for me. I enjoy musk centric fragrance with sandalwood but otherwise enjoy fragrances where sandalwood plays a supporting role. I don't really appreciate sandalwood as much as some other people do on here so I'm a bit on the fence about this sandalwood-centric fragrance.

It seams to me that some members like Xcaliber love strong spices from Ensar and a heavily spiced opening wows them; others aren't crazy about the strong cinnamon opening and enjoy the fragrance the most when it dries down to the sandalwood base; however at that point, I'm guessing it's just a skin scent.

I'm having a hard time convincing myself to buy another fragrance at $20/ml (or $16.7/ml) for what I know if going to be a skin scent past the opening blast of spices (that may or may not be my thing). If this had Iris Ghalia performance or surrounded me in a light aura during the drydown like EO1 and EO2 then that would at least be a tangible experience to consider paying for; but a skin scent? I dunno.

With that recent Ghaliya Hind release from Dixit & Zak at $3.30 per ml, It really has me contemplating the logic of paying $16.70-$20 per ml for an Ensar composition that has skin-scent performance throughout the majority of its wear and a composition that might in the end, not even be preferable to the deeply enjoyable Ghaliya Hind.

I think you'll be happier with the EDP, assuming it would project a bit more, but you'd really have to like the sandalwood to dig this stuff, it's not overpowering or too woody in the dry down to me though, other notes balance it out nicely I think, it's just a very smooth and ethereal skin-scent. The opening of the citrus, cinnamon and musk are extremely addicting to me, it's a different kind of spices, nothing like the EO1/EO2/C&P, which make the SS a completely unique scent to any other EO that I have in my collection. I still think you should sample it first bro, get 3ml of PP from strifeknot just to experience it. Due to the skin scent type behavior, i think this stuff would really shine in the summer with some help from the heat.

Last edited:

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
View attachment 159526

I have all three versions of the EO2 now, the OG from 2018, 2020 release, and the 2021 Kashmir. I have a spray of the OG on the back of my hand, and a spray of the other two on each inner elbow to compare them at the same time.

2018 OG PP 7.5ml: Extremely heavy in spices, a cloves bomb, salty, musky, quite linear and flat, but very dark, and potent.

2020 release PP 50ml: This is more refined and balanced, cloves is dialed down, a hint of minty freshness from the Oud being used here, not much complexity either. This is my favorite of the three, performance is equivalent to the EO2 Manipur PP.

2021 Kashmir PP 30ml: This is VERY similar to the OG, like 99% similar, Ensar did a good job replicating the original release, the Kashmir name seems more gimmicky, If you're a huge fan of the OG, this is pretty much a clone of it.

That’s awesome. I never tried the PP version of EO2. Only the EDP from 2020 which I love, but never sprung for a full bottle. It’s interesting that the Kashmir is spot on to the 2018 version.

mustardsalad

Jan 27, 2016
^ Thanks folks. Ok, I just ordered a very small sample of Kinam Rouge. Hopefully I hate it, so that I'm not tempted to buy a larger amount of it. My wallet's had enough, lol.

Latest News