All Things Ensar Oud

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
Re: Ensar Oud

Very cool. Interested to know what the bases of Tigerlust and C&P pure parfums are... maybe musk for C&P since it seems to share some of that with EO2.

Yeah, I would assume this is the case which makes me extra excited to try the EdP C&P even if it shares the same essential base as EO2 as I know the carrier for EO2 PP was that deer musk tincture and the EdP is purely ethanol. I think that alone will give me a different experience or at least something else to ponder in these wearings. Fun!

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018

Anyone knows if Iris Ghalia will make a return? Missed out on it when it was released, and now it is nowhere to be found.

I was able to pick up what I think were the last two testers of IG a few months ago and even then I had to email Adam directly and ask about it because they weren't for sale on the site. At the time he said everyone within the inner workings of EO were hoping for a return of IG at some point so seems the desire within the company is there. I'm sure Adam could give you the real deal on whether it's coming back or not. Fwiw, I've found it really useful in the last year to communicate directly with some of the smaller artisan houses about discontinued fragrances- sometimes they've been able to find the odd bottle without packaging or whatever to sell me when I thought it might have been gone forever. Always worth an email!

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020

Fwiw, I've found it really useful in the last year to communicate directly with some of the smaller artisan houses about discontinued fragrances- sometimes they've been able to find the odd bottle without packaging or whatever to sell me when I thought it might have been gone forever. Always worth an email!

I agree with this as well. I’ve been able to try samples and get smaller sizes of oils that fit my budget as opposed to what’s strictly on the site. This is one of the reasons I love the fragrance community so much because talking with the artisans directly makes you feel like you’re a part of the process and not just a faceless sale.

wood&leather

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 27, 2018

I actually like the EDP of EO2 better than pure parfum. Anyone try a pure parfum that they love and think is better than the EDP?

The only release I tried both EdP and Parfum versions of was EO1 and they may as well have been different fragrances all together. I would have never thought they were similar concoctions if i was blind smelling. That's a bummer to admit because it means spending a considerable amount more money if you intend to get your nose on all of the olfactory experiences.

I personally preferred EO1 Pure Parfum because the Black Tea opening blast was unlike anything i had ever smelled and it was really enjoyable.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019

The only release I tried both EdP and Parfum versions of was EO1 and they may as well have been different fragrances all together. I would have never thought they were similar concoctions if i was blind smelling. That's a bummer to admit because it means spending a considerable amount more money if you intend to get your nose on all of the olfactory experiences.

I personally preferred EO1 Pure Parfum because the Black Tea opening blast was unlike anything i had ever smelled and it was really enjoyable.

Dang, now I'm very curious. Sultan Leather Attar is my fav thing Ensar has done, so I wonder about that EO1 PP.

911LambMelb

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019

The best bang for buck is gonna be the EO EDP Set for $280. I purchased the EO1 Pure Parfum 9.5 travel atomizer when it came out, had it about 6 months and MAYBE used a third of it. His EDPs are Extrait strength equivalents of larger commercial offerings.

And no sarcasm or subliminal insult intended, but I like the cheeky simplified "stickers" on the 30ml bottles. The juxtaposition of the top-tier ingredient quality paired with the "cheap" sticker label is humorous in a way. The customers appreciate the cost savings i'm sure at this price point.

Haha for sure.

Although those coloured leather pouches are pretty sweet.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016

Dang, now I'm very curious. Sultan Leather Attar is my fav thing Ensar has done, so I wonder about that EO1 PP.

EO1 PP is the best Ensar Oud I’ve tried and my favorite fragrance of all time. I had the EO1 EDP, sold it and bought the PP - it is imo much better.
I was also sent the sultan leather attar sample which was amazing. If you like sultan leather, you will absolutely love EO1 PP!

911LambMelb

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019

EO1 PP is the best Ensar Oud I’ve tried and my favorite fragrance of all time. I had the EO1 EDP, sold it and bought the PP - it is imo much better.
I was also sent the sultan leather attar sample which was amazing. If you like sultan leather, you will absolutely love EO1 PP!

EO1 PP is in my top 5 fragrances of all time. It's bloody amazing.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018

EO1 PP is like an Eischer painting- in one moment it will be one of the rawest fragrances I’ve ever worn (in an exquisite way) and then it will be the absolute cleanest smelling Oud I’ve ever tried. It’s a rare day that I don’t grab the bottle and smell the sprayer even if I’m not wearing the fragrance. For being the most expensive single bottles I’ve ever purchased I can say I’m very glad I made the decision to pick up 1 and 2 as PP.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020

EO1 PP is like an Eischer painting- in one moment it will be one of the rawest fragrances I’ve ever worn (in an exquisite way) and then it will be the absolute cleanest smelling Oud I’ve ever tried. It’s a rare day that I don’t grab the bottle and smell the sprayer even if I’m not wearing the fragrance. For being the most expensive single bottles I’ve ever purchased I can say I’m very glad I made the decision to pick up 1 and 2 as PP.

It’s such a shapeshifter that’s for sure. I have yet to smell a natural perfume that achieves such depth with the same kind of animalics and Oud. Tigerlust might be my new favorite though because there’s not a rough edge in the whole fragrance.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018

It’s such a shapeshifter that’s for sure. I have yet to smell a natural perfume that achieves such depth with the same kind of animalics and Oud. Tigerlust might be my new favorite though because there’s not a rough edge in the whole fragrance.

I wound up passing on TL due to the "greatest hits" comparisons and because I already had the other perfumes in question. I may have to track down a tester as I see more and more positive reviews coming out as people spend more time with it.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Tried Oud Extraordinaire on skin for the first time. HOLY CRAP! This is pure cherry pie filling. Like pure cherry syrup. It’s incredible that this is from a tree resin and not a condensed cherry syrup. It’s like the cherry version of Kastalana. This might be from the gummy berry tree. Is this pure gummy berry juice? Hahaha. Incredible.

Note: I am new to oud oils. Maybe this is common, I’m not sure.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Tried Oud Extraordinaire on skin for the first time. HOLY CRAP! This is pure cherry pie filling. Like pure cherry syrup. It’s incredible that this is from a tree resin and not a condensed cherry syrup. It’s like the cherry version of Kastalana. This might be from the gummy berry tree. Is this pure gummy berry juice? Hahaha. Incredible.

Note: I am new to oud oils. Maybe this is common, I’m not sure.

OE is great! I wish it had a little more oomph and depth but for how wearable it is you can’t go wrong it. It’s pretty standard for a plantation grown Thai profile. Wait till you venture into the deep, woodsy, resinous and LOUD wild profiles from all over Southeast Asia. That’s where it starts to get fun. Although not all wild ouds are loud by any means but fermented notes can really spice things up in terms of projection and strength.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
OE is great! I wish it had a little more oomph and depth but for how wearable it is you can’t go wrong it. It’s pretty standard for a plantation grown Thai profile. Wait till you venture into the deep, woodsy, resinous and LOUD wild profiles from all over Southeast Asia. That’s where it starts to get fun. Although not all wild ouds are loud by any means but fermented notes can really spice things up in terms of projection and strength.

I look forward to it. Still debating on grabbing a bottle of Satori Fusho...but should sample more for now. Already bought 2gr Kastalana and 2gr Naga Layyen. Both awesome in their own unique ways. I like the sound of deep, woodsy, resinous and loud! Where has this stuff been all my life lol.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
What do you guys think about the people over at Oudaddict.com who say that Ensar Oud is basically a huckster who uses vivid language to sell overpriced and mediocre ouds? He seems to come off as somewhat respected, but if he's playing the part to trick newbies I guess that'd be expected. IDK I've only bought pure oud from Rising Phoenix. Couldn't stand the heavy camphor.

solvovir

Aug 22, 2019
What do you guys think about the people over at Oudaddict.com who say that Ensar Oud is basically a huckster who uses vivid language to sell overpriced and mediocre ouds? He seems to come off as somewhat respected, but if he's playing the part to trick newbies I guess that'd be expected. IDK I've only bought pure oud from Rising Phoenix. Couldn't stand the heavy camphor.

many perfumers today use Ensar's oils in their perfumes and attars. I think for that reason he is quite respected. Some people do feel he has a bit of an ego, but its a matter of whos side your on with the drama between houses. most of it is just ridiculous. For me...EO no1 was a home run. After that it seemed Ensar began his musk obsession and i did not like eo no 2 or tigerlust. But i am not a fan of that musk. that same musk is holding me back from crime & punishment. some people love it. I recently acquired a bottle or Sultan Rose attar and I feel it is another 10/10. If youre a fan of rose id say it holds its own against Malik al taif, triad, zemfira....
Ensar seems to have a great skill in Eastern style of perfume but does not always hit with critics that are more familiar with the western style of perfuming as say Dmitri Bortnikoff or Russian Adam seem to. The later both seem to have a eastern style to distillation and ingredient gathering but a bit more of a western style when it comes to mixing and blending.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
many perfumers today use Ensar's oils in their perfumes and attars. I think for that reason he is quite respected. Some people do feel he has a bit of an ego, but its a matter of whos side your on with the drama between houses. most of it is just ridiculous. For me...EO no1 was a home run. After that it seemed Ensar began his musk obsession and i did not like eo no 2 or tigerlust. But i am not a fan of that musk. that same musk is holding me back from crime & punishment. some people love it. I recently acquired a bottle or Sultan Rose attar and I feel it is another 10/10. If youre a fan of rose id say it holds its own against Malik al taif, triad, zemfira....
Ensar seems to have a great skill in Eastern style of perfume but does not always hit with critics that are more familiar with the western style of perfuming as say Dmitri Bortnikoff or Russian Adam seem to. The later both seem to have a eastern style to distillation and ingredient gathering but a bit more of a western style when it comes to mixing and blending.

How do people use his oils? I'm just wondering because that doesn't make sense to be Ensar seems to have some of the most expensive stuff around and if you use his oils but sell it for cheaper how does that work you know?

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020

Not everyone thinks that and not everyone feels that way there. Many users highly rate and wear his oils. In fact many of his oils are reviewed rather well on that site. Anyone into Oud will know and understand the quality that ensar brings to the table along with his ego but nowhere is he regarded purely as a huckster or fraud except to some people who don’t like him which is fine. Not everyone has to like what he does. But a fraud he is not.

Last edited:

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

I guess you just have to learn how to decipher between opinions, facts, and nonsense. Not just when buying oud but with all things in life. This is something not taught in schools, how to think critically. Every roadside diner in the US has a sign out front that says “world’s best cup of coffee” but if you have any life experience you pay no attention to that. Let the oud speak for itself and learn to separate fact from opinion and useful vs redundant information. Ensar is highly regarded as a revolutionary oud distiller around the world for a reason, not because of “marketing”.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
I know that Sultan pasha has used some of Ensar’s oils as part of the base of a few of his Attars. In particular, Aurum D’anghkor which uses Encens D’anghkor from EO. It is an incredibly beautiful scent and plenty expensive. But the beauty of Oud is even a small amount, percentage wise will very much alter the profile of an Attar and function as an incredible fixative that keeps the base going for hours longer.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Thinking of pulling the trigger on the “Ultimate Oud Sampler”... any thoughts? It might be cheaper just to buy the samples minus the “legends”

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Anyone else find it interesting that Ensar hasn’t had a chance to smell any of his newest releases including Tigerlust and Crime and Punishment? I was pretty surprised to read his Instagram post saying he composed the fragrance entirely by proxy and Kruger followed his directions. I never would have expected this to be the case but Tigerlust is hands down my favorite perfume I own. I wonder how much it might change once Ensar has the chance to actually smell it. Apparently due to travel/flight/product restrictions since March has kept Ensar locked down wherever he’s currently at.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Anyone else find it interesting that Ensar hasn’t had a chance to smell any of his newest releases including Tigerlust and Crime and Punishment? I was pretty surprised to read his Instagram post saying he composed the fragrance entirely by proxy and Kruger followed his directions. I never would have expected this to be the case but Tigerlust is hands down my favorite perfume I own. I wonder how much it might change once Ensar has the chance to actually smell it. Apparently due to travel/flight/product restrictions since March has kept Ensar locked down wherever he’s currently at.

Really? That’s weird. I guess since he already knew the formulation with EO1 and EO2 he was able to make the changes without smelling. I’d be interested in any changes he makes too. Tigerlust is my Holy Grail...but EO is too. Everything he does from perfumes to Ouds is absolutely incredible. I’d look forward to his tweaks...maybe make it even stronger.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
I think I know what CRIME & PUNISHMENT means.

I tried out EO2 again last night and realized how much it smells like Crime & Punishment “lite”. Then about the name, when Nikhil reviewed EO2 and said it had no depth and wasn’t complex, Ensar jacked up that raspberry note and said “Crime & Punishment” with the Punishment being...”here’s the same scent on steroids, in your face, F off!”. This is something brilliant artists do at times and....we reap the benefits! The only reason EO2 was reviewed in that way by Nikhil was because he already tasted the masterpiece EO1. I think if it was the first he smelled by EO he would have been floored and spoke of it more highly. Just an interesting thought I had.

pete james

May 5, 2018
Pulled the trigger on EO no 1 PP...sounds amazing,and as a lover of Bortnikoff and (some) Areej lol,looking forward to receiving it...going down that rabbit hole at a rapid rate...

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019

Tigerlust was finished way before March. Where did you see this?

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
I have a hard time believing that Ensar would make a fragrance by proxy. That dude is a perfectionist. Imagine a reviewer criticizing his “fragrance by proxy”.... he would never let it happen.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
I think I know what CRIME & PUNISHMENT means.

I tried out EO2 again last night and realized how much it smells like Crime & Punishment “lite”. Then about the name, when Nikhil reviewed EO2 and said it had no depth and wasn’t complex, Ensar jacked up that raspberry note and said “Crime & Punishment” with the Punishment being...”here’s the same scent on steroids, in your face, F off!”. This is something brilliant artists do at times and....we reap the benefits! The only reason EO2 was reviewed in that way by Nikhil was because he already tasted the masterpiece EO1. I think if it was the first he smelled by EO he would have been floored and spoke of it more highly. Just an interesting thought I had.

I feel that although you can make stuff in a traditional Middle Eastern style smell good, there's only so far you can go with blending the same ingredients over and over. Ensar's fear and distaste of aroma chemicals means he can never really step out of the realm of attar to fine perfume.

Latest News