All Things Ensar Oud

annan0480

May 17, 2022
Apologies for another “should I get” post but I’m also contemplating getting iris ghalia, however I already have iris noir which I enjoy. These two seem like they would be very similar with an iris/musk combo so I’m not sure it’s worth it to get the new IG. I don’t have enough money to casually buy ensar perfumes so as much as I love them, I have to strategic and don’t want to get perfumes that are too similar. Thoughts on IG vs iris noir?

DearMusk

Basenotes Member
Sep 9, 2020
To my nose they're not similar at all.
Iris Noir is devoid of animalics and has a softer, powdery floral & lightly peppery profile.
Iris Ghalia is a syrupy, very jammy & berry-forward yet very animalic fragrance.

It isn't redundant to own both of these in my opinion.

Jan 5, 2023
I have the EDP of Iris Noir, not a fan.

Too much rave by genuine frag connoisseurs to dismiss Iris Ghalia IMO. Ive ordered a bottle of IG from Solace the gentleman and cant wait to have it.

HOWEVER, Strifeknot has kindly informed me that EO is now doing samples and 15ml of IG! This forum has influence I tell ya. Props to EO for giving the fans what they want.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Just spilled a full gram of Iris Ghalia Attar on my desk, quickly mopped up half to lather myself in and the other half I scooped up in a fresh atomizer and added way too much perfumer’s alcohol. So I’ll have the first EdC of Iris Ghalia. Lol! Thank god my girl said, ‘oh whatever that is it’s very nice.’ You never can tell with her(for instance she loves Blue Kalbar, so I buy a bit of Mystical Lotus which I find far superior and she HATES it). So I got really lucky. I’m not in the dog house.

strifeknot

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 28, 2008
btw, in the email today Thomas K mentioned that a "Donald B." had won a drawing for a freebie--Sultan Ambergris maybe? I wondered if that might be Basenotes legend @strifeknot ? Maybe not. Probably lots of Donald B's out there... :p
Thomas contacted me today to say that I was in fact the winner of the ambergris, and it's on the way. Don't know what I'll do with it, but yay.

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
I’ve been trying to get details on this specific batch from EO but apparently they don’t like to give too much info. I’m curious on how it differs from previous ones.

As much as I appreciate EO, their marketing strategy and lack of info is a big issue for me.

Too many releases that share similarities or are really "flankers" of an existing fragrance without making it clear, and so many releases in total nobody can try them all or keep up with what's out there. This leads to the brand's dilution by their own hand, and is a huge turn-off for collectors.

Imo the rate of new releases isn't sustainable and while there are some people that buy one of everything, others see too much of everything. So there will be a few releases that are considered top tier and everything else will be a lot less desirable. I think this is a big mistake in strategy for the brand and it's fans. I've mentioned this a few times, but it's not my business and if anything the rate of new releases just continues to accelerate. IMO they'd be so much better off with far fewer options that sell out upon release every time and not a huge catalog of fragrances on the website, many of which have been there for far too long.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
As much as I appreciate EO, their marketing strategy and lack of info is a big issue for me.

Too many releases that share similarities or are really "flankers" of an existing fragrance without making it clear, and so many releases in total nobody can try them all or keep up with what's out there. This leads to the brand's dilution by their own hand, and is a huge turn-off for collectors.

Imo the rate of new releases isn't sustainable and while there are some people that buy one of everything, others see too much of everything. So there will be a few releases that are considered top tier and everything else will be a lot less desirable. I think this is a big mistake in strategy for the brand and it's fans. I've mentioned this a few times, but it's not my business and if anything the rate of new releases just continues to accelerate. IMO they'd be so much better off with far fewer options that sell out upon release every time and not a huge catalog of fragrances on the website, many of which have been there for far too long.

Hence, the reason why EO started to provide 1ml sample for most of their regular releases. ;) I really wish the latest OSK would have the 30ml or even 15ml edition. If they planned ahead they could have done it. Another good news is, per Ensar the next iteration of Oud Sultani would have the 30ml option available after I kept bugging him constantly to provide 30ml for the OSK. lol

And to give credit where credit is due, they even provided travel kit for the Woke Morisco collection now, albeit a bit late to the game but nonetheless, they came around in doing exactly what a lot of fans were asking for. I have a feeling Ensar will continue to release more budget-friendly collection similar to the Woke Morisco, would be great for them to include the "travel kit" in 10ml during launch for sure.

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
Hence, the reason why EO started to provide 1ml sample for most of their regular releases. ;) I really wish the latest OSK would have the 30ml or even 15ml edition. If they planned ahead they could have done it. Another good news is, per Ensar the next iteration of Oud Sultani would have the 30ml option available after I kept bugging him constantly to provide 30ml for the OSK. lol

And to give credit where credit is due, they even provided travel kit for the Woke Morisco collection now, albeit a bit late to the game but nonetheless, they came around in doing exactly what a lot of fans were asking for. I have a feeling Ensar will continue to release more budget-friendly collection similar to the Woke Morisco, would be great for them to include the "travel kit" in 10ml during launch for sure.

Yeah, samples are long overdue as well, but none of that changes the issue with the overwhelming volume of releases and how this is, imo, detrimental overall to both EO and their customers. The basic strategy for luxury goods is to have LESS supply than demand, at least for some things. I'm not going to get into luxury goods marketing 101 here, or what makes collectibles collectible, but I think EO and team need to do some studying and rethinking of their overall strategy and slow their roll.

Mick B

Oct 12, 2021
Hence, the reason why EO started to provide 1ml sample for most of their regular releases. ;)
But let's be real here, at 45 USD for a 1 ml sample, it is not priced as: "we'd like to offer this to let people experience our creations, and to help them decide if they want to buy a full bottle", but it's priced as "we don't want to sell 1 ml samples since it's too much work, but if some sucker buys this, at least we make a huge profit now".

A tiny sample sprayer costs money, sure. And it also it requires someone to fill the bottle once an order is put in. But 45 USD for 1 ml is a very steep price, especially since shipping will come on top.

It seems like it's their way of nudging potential buyers to a 15 ml or 30 ml bottle

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
But let's be real here, at 45 USD for a 1 ml sample, it is not priced as: "we'd like to offer this to let people experience our creations, and to help them decide if they want to buy a full bottle", but it's priced as "we don't want to sell 1 ml samples since it's too much work, but if some sucker buys this, at least we make a huge profit now".

A tiny sample sprayer costs money, sure. And it also it requires someone to fill the bottle once an order is put in. But 45 USD for 1 ml is a very steep price, especially since shipping will come on top.

It seems like it's their way of nudging potential buyers to a 15 ml or 30 ml bottle
Normally....you only get to save when you buy in bulk, be it buying aromatic compounds or other consumer goods, at least the 1ml option is available. When decant is not available from Strifeknot and Naylor.

Personally, I'd rather lose $45 on trying out 1ml sample just to find out what the release is about, than dive in head first to blind buy a full bottle of a brand new formula that hasn't been tested or smelled by anyone, and when the blindbuy didn't work, i sure as hell going to lose at least $100 to resell in the used market, and if I wasn't lucky....I could lose $200 or more to sell. If you don't like the price, you don't have to buy it, but it's there available for those who needed and wanted it. Whereas these 1ml samples weren't even an option in the last few years even IF you wanted it.

Yeah, samples are long overdue as well, but none of that changes the issue with the overwhelming volume of releases and how this is, imo, detrimental overall to both EO and their customers. The basic strategy for luxury goods is to have LESS supply than demand, at least for some things. I'm not going to get into luxury goods marketing 101 here, or what makes collectibles collectible, but I think EO and team need to do some studying and rethinking of their overall strategy and slow their roll.

We don't have to keep buying new releases, EO could unleash 10 new perfumes per week and how is that going to affect how I spend my money, and which one I decided to buy? they can't make me buy anything and everything, i got the money so i'm the boss, i get the final say on which release get my money and for how long I decided to simply not buying. :LOL: EO didn't overwhelm nobody, FOMO is what causes people to panic and freaking out and questioned why so many releases and it's hard to keep up, WHY oh WHY do you have to keep up like catching Pokemons? 😅

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
We don't have to keep buying new releases, EO could unleash 10 new perfumes per week and how is that going to affect how I spend my money, and which one I decided to buy? they can't make me buy anything and everything, i got the money so i'm the boss, i get the final say on which release get my money and for how long I decided to simply not buying. :LOL: EO didn't overwhelm nobody, FOMO is what causes people to panic and freaking out and questioned why so many releases and it's hard to keep up, WHY oh WHY do you have to keep up like catching Pokemons? 😅

Seriously? Apparently my point went way over your head. :LOL:

EDIT: Actually, now I get it. That's what YOU did. Lol... :ROFLMAO: And then you had a temper tantrum and sold a bunch of stuff.

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016

This.

I do like how they have expanded their bottle size options, and the willingness to do some samples, but the sample prices aren’t reasonable.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Seriously? Apparently my point went way over your head. :LOL:
That's what you said though: "the issue with the overwhelming volume of releases and how this is, imo, detrimental overall to both EO and their customers", sounds to me like it's a self-inflicted issue by the customers, EO could have extremely high volume and high amount of releases, again i asked....how the hell is that going to affect your wallet? when you are the only one holding it? and yes I'm intimate with supply and demand, it's HOW you could MANIPULATE the market as well, and it's THE ONLY reason why the 1st and 2nd collection from ALD were double and often triple the orignal price in the used market! That wouldn't have happened if the market were flooded with plenty of supplies in the first place. So what is your intention exactly, to have less supply and fewer releases in the market so it would drive up the value of your collection and in return so you can price gouge in the used market like folks have been doing with ALD's 1st and 2nd collection? :ROFLMAO:

Your words, not mine: "The basic strategy for luxury goods is to have LESS supply than demand, at least for some things.

Don't even pretend you didn't mean what you said, i wasn't born yesterday, you ain't fooling me with your shenanigans.

EDIT: Actually, now I get it. That's what YOU did. Lol... And then you had a temper tantrum and sold a bunch of stuff.

Apparently, you missed the part where I had to free up cashflow to ramp up my cigar collection, looks like that went right over your ego and your head as well, otherwise you wouldn't have made such an ignorant comment with that lame-ass condescending tone as well. I see through you dude, who are you trying to kid? LOL 😂:ROFLMAO:

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
This.

I do like how they have expanded their bottle size options, and the willingness to do some samples, but the sample prices aren’t reasonable.

I'm not saying $45 for 1ml is reasonable, it would be nice if they were $20 for $1ml, hell....even better if they would give them out for free!!! But you know that's wishful thinking.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Why are people so obsessed with stuff being limited regular access and options is healthy outside of those with no self control or feel the need to feel special (remember the musc gardenia man child melt down when the first flanker come out).

THE ONLY reason why the 1st and 2nd collection from ALD were double and often triple the orignal price in the used market!
If these where still around today i bet you people wouldn't be call them the best shit since slice bread its the rarity and exclusiveness that propels them to these ranks

How many times have u seen a scent that no one gave shit about get discontinued then suddenly its an unsung masterpiece

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
Apparently, you missed the part where I had to free up cashflow to ramp up my cigar collection, looks like that went right over your ego and your head as well, otherwise you wouldn't have made such an ignorant comment with that lame-ass condescending tone as well. I see through you dude, who are you trying to kid? LOL 😂:ROFLMAO:

I'm not going to try to even understand this word salad, but as for the part above, you had a meltdown/temper-tantrum online and then, hours later, you listed half your EOs for sale. But sure, have at those cigars! :ROFLMAO:

I'm more than happy to copy/paste your tantrum and ridiculous cigar excuses here too...

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Why are people so obsessed with stuff being limited regular access and options is healthy outside of those with no self control or feel the need to feel special (remember the musc gardenia man child melt down when the first flanker come out).

If these where still around today i bet you people wouldn't be call them the best shit since slice bread its the rarity and exclusiveness that propels them to these ranks

How many times have u seen a scent that no one gave shit about get discontinued then suddenly its an unsung masterpiece

100% with you!

Lots of people were losing their shit when the Musc Gardenia White Kinam came out :ROFLMAO: They felt the OG B50K edition that they were holding on.....all of a sudden have lost all their values and no longer smell good, those people bought the stuff solely for collectibility value, treating that shit like some sort of "investment"..... hoping to cash out one day, and apparently, they didn't buy them to wear as consumable goods!! On the flip side of the coin, EO did market them as "Limited Release", so in some way, some customers felt like they were being "duped". Limited Release for that particular batch did hold true to some extend, but they never made the promise or claim that it won't be flankers and different iterations down the road!!

Different stroke for different folk i guess, after all....EO did make the claim of "buying ouds as an investment", some people took that statement and ran with it. Well, that claim is only partially true, but doesn't apply the ALL ouds, something like the Oud Royale 1 OG, it could now fetch many times over the original price, if you're sitting on a liter of that stuff, you could be rich!! lol

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
I'm not saying $45 for 1ml is reasonable, it would be nice if they were $20 for $1ml, hell....even better if they would give them out for free!!! But you know that's wishful thinking.
People just want to see stuff that makes a little common sense. $45 for a sample 1ml, isn’t cool and people know it. Handing them out for free, obviously not, everyone gets that. However there’s a lot of places you could go in between, and that would be better for existing and potential customer/fans.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I'm not going to try to even understand this word salad, but as for the part above, you had a meltdown/temper-tantrum online and then, hours later, you listed half your EOs for sale. But sure, have at those cigars! :ROFLMAO:

I'm more than happy to copy/paste your tantrum and ridiculous cigar excuses here too...

Selling 1/3 of my EO collection along with some of my ALD and Agar Aura backups is hardly a tantrum. Prove to me it was a "meltdown and temper tantrum" and I will show you the invoice of over $4K worth of cigars that I bought AFTER I posted "a bunch of stuff" for sale. How does that sound? when I show you my cigar purchase invoices, with dates and time stamps to support my reason for selling......are you going to get down on your knees to apologize and take back that complete garbage accusation and utterly nonsensical BS of yours?? 😂 ;)

I'm allergic to bullshit, and I can smell your shenanigans from miles away, like i said.....i see through you, who are you trying to kid? :ROFLMAO:;)

I got all my cigar purchase invoices ready NOW, are you ready to get down on your knees? Excuses???? LOL Let's see who's making excuses.

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
Selling 1/3 of my EO collection along with some of my ALD and Agar Aura backups is hardly a tantrum. Prove to me it was a "meltdown and temper tantrum" and I will show you the invoice of over $4K worth of cigars that I bought AFTER I posted "a bunch of stuff" for sale. How does that sound? when I show you my cigar purchase invoices, with dates and time stamps to support my reason for selling......are you going to get down on your knees to apologize and take back that garbage accusation of yours?? 😂 ;)

I'm allergic to bullshit, and I can smell your shenanigans from miles away, like i said.....i see through you, who are you trying to kid? :ROFLMAO:;)

I got all my cigar purchase invoices ready NOW, are you ready to get down on your knees? Excuses???? LOL Let's see who's making excuses.

I think folks can read your manic posts and judge for themselves.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Any takers for talking about Transhuman, All Too Transhuman … or it’s fellow WM collection moving to OudBar? No? :LOL: Ok

It’s hard to cut through drama with just boring old talk about perfume. Lol
its moving to oud bar seems logical as there seems to be a pattern between then 3 sites and there offerings

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I think folks can read your manic posts and judge for themselves.
Oh, I'm sure they can, those who have seen me posting here long enough, they KNOWs, that I'm a straight shooter and I tell it as it is without sugarcoating anything, I have roasted EO in the past just as often as I've praised them, and I always give credit where credit is due.

My cigar purchase invoices are calling your name David!!! 😂 🥳:love:😎 Are you ready to take back your bullshit nonsense about me having "tantrum meltdown" for selling 1/3 of my EO collection? Or are you just going to continue to spew nonsense pretending like you're some sort of Judge and Jury, but drowning in your own bullshit and fantasy instead?

"gotcha moment" is so yesteryear, my cigar invoices is still waiting........

A quick count from cigarcountry online store alone, they added up to over $5940 of cigar purchases(a lot of OpusX) made during that time when you accused me of having "meltdown and tantrum", and that is NOT even including the invoices from TWO other cigar shops. Like I said, I'm ready when you are.

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
Oh, I'm sure they can, those who have seen me posting here long enough, they KNOWs, that I'm a straight shooter and I tell it as it is without sugarcoating anything, I have roasted EO in the past just as often as I've praised them, and I always give credit where credit is due.

My cigar purchase invoices are calling your name David!!! 😂 🥳:love:😎 Are you ready to take back your bullshit nonsense about me having "tantrum meltdown" for selling 1/3 of my EO collection? Or are you just going to continue to spew nonsense pretending like you're some sort of Judge and Jury, but drowning in your own bullshit and fantasy instead?

"gotcha moment" is so yesteryear, my cigar invoices is still waiting........

A quick count from cigarcountry online store alone, they added up to over $5940 of cigar purchases(a lot of OpusX) made during that time when you accused me of having "meltdown and tantrum", and that is NOT even included the invoices from TWO other cigar shops. Like I said, I'm ready when you are.

I do have some suggestions about what you can do with your cigar invoices. You should stick with cigars, you know smoking has a significant detrimental effect on your ability to smell? Which does explain some things... :p

I look forward to yet another manic-tinged, desperate reply...

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
So my understanding of Oudbar is that it’s more experiential in that folks can try things out in person. I wonder if Woke Morison is essentially the first in a recurring line that will be available to sample in person?

For the transhuman talk I’m curious what Ensar’s philosophy might be behind that since the woke stuff tangent and now with “transhuman” or whatever… is it a hint at where Ensar is at with identity politics and trans rights issues? I don’t care either way but it’s definitely playing with fire. I’m only bringing this up since it was a somewhat cryptic message but I am interested to know what he means by it.

Is it a nod at the whole neuralink stuff? That could be more likely.
Yeah looks pretty cyberpunk. Also interesting that he lists a metal chord. I wonder if these incorporate synthetics or even use naturals in the pursuit of a futuristic synthetic scent(like Christophe Laudemiel did with Spacewood).

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I do have some suggestions about what you can do with your cigar invoices. You should stick with cigars, you know smoking has a significant detrimental effect on your ability to smell? Which does explain some things... :p

I look forward to yet another manic-tinged, desperate reply...

You should stick with watching TV instead, trying to take a swing at someone online with wild accusations and wild claims without knowing the full story, and without proof......tsk tsk tsk. :ROFLMAO:

Manic? more like being disgusted by your nonsensical bullshit. Looking forward to yet another different version of your fantasy, very entertaining indeed. I'm very interested to find out what else you're going to fabricate. 😁

I have seen people like you as far back as 14.4k modem dial-up days in AOL forums, you ain't the first, and won't be the last, to be coming out trolling random people online, simply because you're bored, or simply because you can. ;);)

Last edited:

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
You should stick with watching TV instead, trying to take a swing at someone online with wild accusations and wild claims without knowing the full story, and without proof......tsk tsk tsk. :ROFLMAO:

Manic? more like being disgusted by your nonsensical bullshit. Looking forward to yet another different version of your fantasy, very entertaining indeed. I'm very interested to find out what else you're going to fabricate. 😁

I have seen people like you as far back as 14.4k modem dial-up days in AOL forums, you ain't the first, and won't be the last, to be coming out trolling random people online, simply because you're bored, or simply because you can. ;);)

Yawn.... :sleep: ok, you win.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Yawn.... :sleep: ok, you win.

Nothing but love for you brother, all in good fun. LOL ;)😁

It's not about Winning or Losing, to me it was about setting the record straight. Unfortunately, last year EO team was having the same incorrect impression of me unloading stuff because of "spat" or disagreements on Fartbook. That couldn't be further from the truth. 1), it was only 1/3 of my collection being listed for sale, and 2), it wasn't just EO that I was unloading, there were ALD, AA, and D&Z as well. Last but not least, 3.)There weren't any "spats" I had with EO, it was some disagreements I had with a couple of Farbook fans in regards to olfactory fatigue which I don't care to revisit again, but whatever.

it was no secret that I disagreed with how certain releases were being priced at, it's nothing new that I wished EO would release a more affordable collection (otherwise I wouldn't have rallied for it), But a lot of my negative views from last year have since been mitigated and addressed by Ensar. There were never any hard feelings between me and EO. Ensar said it many times "if you like you buy, if you don't like then don't buy" and I did just that....instead of collecting every single new release, i only buy certain ones that I felt were worth my money.

To clear up the record once and for all, in case anyone else still presumes I was unloading some of my perfumes last year was due to say "spats", or was having a meltdown, or tantrum. 🤣 Open your eyes and take a good look at this screenshot, THIS...... is only ONE out of THREE invoices, I don't think I need to show the other two, the combined dollar amounts from this one alone speak for itself and that was the ONLY reason why I needed to free up cashflow to replenish my cigar collection during that time. Feel free to look up last year's "spats" and match the date and timing when i was offloading my perfumes.....

I never bluff......Mic drop!

1673309094708.png

Last edited:

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...