All Things Ensar Oud

scentedgenie

Basenotes Member
May 27, 2018
Good to see Ensar adapting beyond his usual ego.

Slowdown in the world economy, recent EO firesales on secondary markets and complaints from his die-hard fans, were some obvious signs that EO had to adapt, else his business and income would be dented.

Still, he isn't budging on releasing samples on his new releases. But at least, he has recently released more affordable 30mls. So I guess it's a little give-and-take, as long as there is still an active community.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Dude I love you!
You just allowed peasants like me to be able to try the whole collection.
Kudos, thats a real power move!

At the end, not only would that benefit all fans across the board, it also works in EO's favor, after you've tried them all and decided to go for the full bottle on certain releases at a later time, that would only mean more sales for EO in the long run....everybody wins.

Good to see Ensar adapting beyond his usual ego.

Slowdown in the world economy, recent EO firesales on secondary markets and complaints from his die-hard fans, were some obvious signs that EO had to adapt, else his business and income would be dented.

Still, he isn't budging on releasing samples on his new releases. But at least, he has recently released more affordable 30mls. So I guess it's a little give-and-take, as long as there is still an active community.

Chad on FB thread also brought up a great point about the challenge to produce samples for micro-batch new releases, when they have very limited material on hand, perhaps the better alternative in a situation like that would be to make 10ml or 15ml editions available for those micro-batch new releases. A smaller blind buy sure beats the heck out of 30ml and 50ml blind buy on new releases, just have to strike a balance somewhere without causing EO anything, but at the same time reduces and minimizes the risk factor for the fans. I'm still trying to convince and persuade Ensar to give us the 15ml option on all new releases for when 2ml sample isn't possible, or viable for micro-batch limited new releases.

Last edited:

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
Chad on FB thread also brought up a great point about the challenge to produce samples for micro-batch new releases, when they have very limited material on hand, perhaps the better alternative in a situation like that would be to make 10ml or 15ml editions available for those micro-batch new releases. A smaller blind bind sure beats the heck out of 30ml and 50ml blind buy on new releases, just have to strike a balance somewhere without causing EO anything, but at the same time reduces and minimizes the risk factor for the fans. I'm still trying to convince and persuade Ensar to give us the 15ml option on all new releases for when 2ml sample isn't possible, or viable for micro-batch limited new releases.
100% agree. The 9.5mL testers or the 15mL cubes are more affordable and reduce risk when samples or splits aren't available. ALD hasn't always offered samples in advance. But for some of those releases without samples they have made 10mL travel sprays available.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Tigerwood arrived this morning and a quick spray, wow, this smells deep and dark and I'm getting lots of tobacco. I know the blurb on the website said this isn't a pretty fragrance, but I find it to be amazing and just maybe this is how I view pretty to be. An amazing opening to me.
You got some ugly sense of beautiful 😝😉

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
No because other vendors at the exact same time also had the same stash. You have to remember Gulf vendors received this stuff first. Elixir Attars actually was selling the same Qaboos stuff at the same time it’s just that Ahmed didn’t make a huge deal about it because well…it wasn’t worth making a splash. He was selling the oils behind the scenes to his clientele.
I wonder why people didn’t advertise that at the time then. Seems like that would have been a good time to ‘out’ poor business practices in the industry. If everything hit the market at the same time.

Aug 26, 2022
I wonder why people didn’t advertise that at the time then. Seems like that would have been a good time to ‘out’ poor business practices in the industry. If everything hit the market at the same time.
They did though. Ensars fanbase on basenotes doesn’t have a lot of crossover with the greater Oud community at large so there’s a good chance the people who were speaking out at the time just went unnoticed by most. There’s a reason the SQ stuff isn’t nearly as big of a deal for people outside of gulf countries because the can tell the difference between the ‘estate’ stuff and the actual products owned and used by SQ himself. There’s even been a discussion on here detailing all of this and how Ensars “Tonkin musk” claims were bullshit but the marketing blinded everyone to the truth.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I tried a few swipes of Terengganu SQ sample the other night, my peasant nose couldn't smell the difference between it and the Zaza Zen....I'm sure someone can tell them apart but not me, I can't.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
They did though. Ensars fanbase on basenotes doesn’t have a lot of crossover with the greater Oud community at large so there’s a good chance the people who were speaking out at the time just went unnoticed by most. There’s a reason the SQ stuff isn’t nearly as big of a deal for people outside of gulf countries because the can tell the difference between the ‘estate’ stuff and the actual products owned and used by SQ himself. There’s even been a discussion on here detailing all of this and how Ensars “Tonkin musk” claims were bullshit but the marketing blinded everyone to the truth.
I didn’t read about this on Ouddict either… so that leaves The Book of Faces as to where it was discussed at the time, yes?

Aug 26, 2022
I didn’t read about this on Ouddict either… so that leaves The Book of Faces as to where it was discussed at the time, yes?
Al Shareef Oud made a whole post and discussion about it if you’d like to search for it. I mean just because you didn’t see it or talk with folks about it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. But please if you don’t think it exists or that info is already out there on the matter I can’t change that for you. It is what it is.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
You people are deep into this oud and musk stuff, wow! I try to understand ingredients by ordering oils standalone and stuff, but ur on another level 😄

For me, at the end of the day, doesnt matter Qaboos or not, tonkin or not. What matters is final result and is the scent incredible enough to justify the top dollar.

Aug 26, 2022
Do you have a link to this? Seems like an interesting read

Here’s some direct statements made publicly by Al Shareef Oudh regarding the matter that’s easily available to read. Outside of that just have a conversation with any number of Oud vendors that’s not Ensar and you’ll get a totally different picture on the Sultan Qaboos story.

Aug 26, 2022
You people are deep into this oud and musk stuff, wow! I try to understand ingredients by ordering oils standalone and stuff, but ur on another level 😄
Yeah I mean when you spend thousands of dollars on this stuff and find out you’ve been getting lied to the whole time it forces you into searching out the truth. Sadly so much of this community is built on ignorance and outright lies. As long as the consumer remains uninformed or at least is fed a controlled narrative, it allows the vendors to say or do whatever they want.

Every single Oud vendor lies or at least bends the truth in their favor. It makes sense because it’s marketing. I understand that aspect and why it’s necessary but the more informed you become the less you’re subject to getting ripped off.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020

Here’s some direct statements made publicly by Al Shareef Oudh regarding the matter that’s easily available to read. Outside of that just have a conversation with any number of Oud vendors that’s not Ensar and you’ll get a totally different picture on the Sultan Qaboos story.
Last year I did read it somewhere in this forum, don't remember which thread, but someone mentioned I think it was Elixir Attar who got hold of a few flasks of the Sultan Qaboos stuff for sale, and they got sold out pretty quickly.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016

I read that.... so, what are we to make of ASO's writeup when it comes to Ensar? Do you think that whole story of Ensar driving a cart through Qaboos's storage warehouse to pick out ingredients was fabricated?

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
I read that.... so, what are we to make of ASO's writeup when it comes to Ensar? Do you think that whole story of Ensar driving a cart through Qaboos's storage warehouse to pick out ingredients was fabricated?
Ofcorse not....Ensar never lies 😄 ASO is just jealous he wasnt treated the same 😛😂

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Btw, got my paws on original Homeros.
3 observations:

1) smoke and patchouli that was added is not as strong and scary as sometimes mentioned. It gives slightly more rough texture to perfume, which is nice, but i think i finally figured out what i need in EO1, a touch of petroleum like note from oud.

2) compared to original EO1, Homeros is slightly thinner. Where EO1 is fat and oily, and thick oud leather rose combo, Homeros has a little more air between ingredients. Still good performer, nonetheless.

3) can someone explain, how the custom project that was supposed to be about greek islands and ocean turned out to be another EO1 flanker? 😄 It should have, in my mind, be closer to his green perfumes and Chinese exclusive than EO1.

Diamond Joe

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
Tigerwood arrived this morning and a quick spray, wow, this smells deep and dark and I'm getting lots of tobacco. I know the blurb on the website said this isn't a pretty fragrance, but I find it to be amazing and just maybe this is how I view pretty to be. An amazing opening to me.
I agree 100%. I don't fund Tigerwood PP off putting or challenging in any way. Its deep, dark, woody, resinous - but beautiful. It is maybe my favorite oud-based PP from Ensar.

NFU, on the other hand, is disgusting. The two should not even be mentioned in the same breath.

chad34

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 3, 2022
I agree 100%. I don't fund Tigerwood PP off putting or challenging in any way. Its deep, dark, woody, resinous - but beautiful. It is maybe my favorite oud-based PP from Ensar.

NFU, on the other hand, is disgusting. The two should not even be mentioned in the same breath.
It doesn't seem to be a popular one by any means, but thats ok with me. You're absolutely right, it's very dark deep and resinous. I loved it from opening to the closing, simply beautiful. So you don't find Tigerwood in the same wheelhouse as NFU? I have NFU attar, and thought it was that same dark and woody profile but I 've never tried the perfume version. I'd put Tigerwood in my top 5 for sure.

DearMusk

Basenotes Member
Sep 9, 2020
3) can someone explain, how the custom project that was supposed to be about greek islands and ocean turned out to be another EO1 flanker? 😄 It should have, in my mind, be closer to his green perfumes and Chinese exclusive than EO1.
You're saying Homeros is a flanker of EO1 because it's a leather scent?
They may be related in terms of oud, leather and smoke but they are not similar compositions and certainly not flankers of each other to my nose

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
Btw, got my paws on original Homeros.
3 observations:

1) smoke and patchouli that was added is not as strong and scary as sometimes mentioned. It gives slightly more rough texture to perfume, which is nice, but i think i finally figured out what i need in EO1, a touch of petroleum like note from oud.

2) compared to original EO1, Homeros is slightly thinner. Where EO1 is fat and oily, and thick oud leather rose combo, Homeros has a little more air between ingredients. Still good performer, nonetheless.

Nah not a flanker
You don’t get any ambergris in Homeros? Because it’s prominent to my nose. There is your missing ocean. Also distinguishes eo1

I get a lot of rose and lavender with eo1. None with Homeros. Smoky Oud is the one note prominent in both.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
You're saying Homeros is a flanker of EO1 because it's a leather scent?
They may be related in terms of oud, leather and smoke but they are not similar compositions and certainly not flankers of each other to my nose
It has same Ensarade at the base which links it EO1, Tigerlust and Kyara Koko.
Tops are different, they have different accents placed, EO1 has rose, tigerlust has eo2 spices, KK has white florals. They are different at the top but same at the bottom. But with plethora of ouds and knowledge that Ensar claims, its surprising that he chose the dark core for such "bright" theme.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Nah not a flanker
You don’t get any ambergris in Homeros? Because it’s prominent to my nose. There is your missing ocean. Also distinguishes eo1

I get a lot of rose and lavender with eo1. None with Homeros. Smoky Oud is the one note prominent in both.
I can't associate the two either, they smelled vastly different to me, like comparing PHO noodle soup to Chicken Alfredo, they both have some sort of noodles but taste very different altogether, but I wouldn't call them flanker. IF Homeros OG was a flanker of EO1, so is Tigerlust, Crime & Punishment, EO2, EO3, Jamaican Ambergris, Musk Yusuf, and a long list of others.

Perception is subjective, to each his own I guess. 😁

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
controlling-laugh-laughing.gif

MrOud

Basenotes Member
Oct 22, 2022
So guys I’ve got the long awaited Moshpit Pavarotti and Albanian Van Gogh today + a sample of musc morisco.

First of all, I haven’t expected this collection to be on a level with other EO perfumes like Iris ghalia, tonkin musk etc. and I’ve been right with that guess.

They’re not bad don’t get me wrong. They smell extremely intense and specially the Albanian seems to be a beast of a perfume but I think you will understand what I mean by reading my initial impressions.

The moshpit pavarotti is a dark and heavy scent. When I say dark I mean dark af.
It gives me oud dhul q vibes with a nice touch of frankincense and tobacco. The fig note in the drydown is also very nice and prevents the scent from getting too dark.
I’m enjoying the smell of it but I don’t see my self wearing this one very often because it’s almost too heavy for my taste.
One spray on the arm and it projects like hell.

Albanian van Gogh is probably the biggest disappointment for me because I’ve excepted something completely different.
I have to be honest, the part with the Iris in the description on the website got me blinded.
All I get from this scent is rose and pineapple and it’s hardcore (for an eo scent).
I’ve decided to give it a full wear for this day and applied 3 sprays around the neck area. So far it’s projecting beastly, almost too much because of the intense pineapple-rose combo.
Let’s see how it gets during the day…
But for now I’d say it’s my least favorite perfume from this new collection.
It just smells too feminine for my personal taste.
Little edit: the Van Gogh feels like the Uber female scent to me. I think EO should have declared that.

They also gave me a tiny sample of musc morisco. Sadly it’s just in the regular sample vials and swiping perfume is not really the best way for me to experience the scent.
Edit: I’ve tried the wrong sample yesterday 🤣 I’ve just applied the musc morisco again and made a direct comparison to the muskus attar. I think there are big similarities. I’m not impressed by it and I’m glad that I haven’t bought it.

Sorry for the confusion🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Xerohome

Basenotes Member
Jul 20, 2021
I wish that scientists study the effect of tiny samples on the evaluation of other scents, I think there is some psychology behind it, I usually like the samples more than the full bottle perfume :)
2 perfumes from EO I tried a sample of them before buying a full bottle and I wish I didn't
( Homeros OG & Musc Gardenia)

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Yuzhi oud.
Current one he has, green kinam, was just ok on my first try and i didnt try it again, but i will wear some tomorrow and write back.
I am curious about the white one of his, that one is very nice chrysantemum white team like note, and its pretty strong even from AA chunk of wood.
Once i gather some money up would have to contact him for more of his oils.

Have you try the Green Kinam oud again? how is it? I'll probably get 2g of each to try both the White and Green Kinam, shipping alone is $80!! :oops:

Xerohome

Basenotes Member
Jul 20, 2021
received all the trio, very disappointed to be honest
"my initial impression that might change with time"
AVG = smells very designish (drydown similar to Terre d'Hermes)
MM = spices shop with musc and sandalwood (Maroke Maharaja with a twist)
MP = smoke all over the place (pointless)
no creativity at all, at least for me
I should've grabbed B&B and Al Majmua instead of this (what a waste of $)
I'm done with Ensar Oud!

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Have you try the Green Kinam oud again? how is it? I'll probably get 2g of each to try both the White and Green Kinam, shipping alone is $80!! :oops:
I did try it and while the scent got a little more gree and clear, still a nice slightly milky green almost no terpenes oud, performance is lacking unfortunately.
I could sense it for about 2 hours only.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I did try it and while the scent got a little more gree and clear, still a nice slightly milky green almost no terpenes oud, performance is lacking unfortunately.
I could sense it for about 2 hours only.
thanks for the feedback, the green kinam oil doesn't sound so hot. lol When i inquired about the kinam oud oil, the dude keep pushing me to buy his sample set for $699 on top of the kinam oil even after i told him i was only interested in white/green kinam oil. lol I have zero interest in anything else, not getting a good vibe from his pushy sales tactic. I couldn't find any reviews of his white kinam oil either... :-\

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
I dont know if he does white kinam, but i would love to try it.
Wasnt pushy with me, but i approached him from the point of what he offers, and then i picked what i wanted 🤷🏽‍♂️

gstinkerter

Basenotes Member
Aug 3, 2022
Initial reactions to Albanian van Gogh & Musc Morisco:

AvG: Really reminds me of a high quality Musk Therapy. I do think it is okay, but i lacks a bit of depth and yes....it does kind of smell like a designer fragrance (not necessarily a bad thing per se). But the pineapple, orange, musc combination works well. Maybe something for summer/spring. I´m sure this will be to sweet for some. Doubt this will be a full bottle for me.

MM: I really like the opening. Tibetan Musk, soft camomille tea and some big red chewing gum.
After a couple of minutes it begins to settle and i get a really nice furry, slightly fruity and sweaty vibe. For me it smells like a more modern interpretation of an Ensar Musc frag. Quite unisex for my taste. Hopefully this will last for a bit...because I really think I´m going to buy this.

So far i am not disappointed. Looking forward to Signor Pavarotti.

Last edited:

brothernature

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 22, 2020
Yikes - from what I read on the forums, instagram, and Xcaliber's favorite page, Facebook... these three releases are duds. (Just polarizing feedback - I might be hella wrong there lol)

I'm wearing OS75. Now this is a phenomenal one.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...