All Things Ensar Oud

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
By the way, I did enjoy the video. Don't know what's so terrible about it for most of you Was it pretentious? As usual... And also a bit ironic (considering that EO is the epitome of mercantilism)? For sure.

But I don't get the drama.

Mick B

Oct 12, 2021
There is no forced positivity trend. Rather we don't want to hear about pricing ad nauseam which was the predominant trend in this thread.
The pricing on this collection is a welcome change, and I was contemplating picking one up. Then I saw the video, and decided against it, and ordered a different fragrance instead.

I'm going to echo what others have said: I just want to hear about the perfume, the ingredients, and the scent profile I can expect.

I guess Ensar Oud is not for me (anymore), though I love his oud oils. And in the past have also fallen "victim" to his fomo marketing. Unsubscribing from the news letter was a good step

strifeknot

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 28, 2008
EO's marketing has always been over the top. One should know by now to eschew the hype about the rarity and dollar value of ingredients, and all the colorful prose and promises. I'm not even going to watch the video. Despite his over exuberant salesmanship, he does release some fine scents. As usual, we won't have any idea if these are good until they're under our noses. The lower price point is certainly appreciated, especially after the cost of the recent semi-B releases (had to pass on all of those).

911LambMelb

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Please stop trying to control discourse. Obviously many people here disagree with you. We do actually want to discuss pricing and the current state of this house. We want tangible information about the perfumes rather than a bunch of amateur hour aesthetic ramblings drizzled with misguided social commentary.

All in good fun of course. It is only scented water ultimately. 😅
I think you're not interpreting what I'm saying correctly. Discuss the price, but we don't want to see people harping on about it with nonstop complaining etc. Continue.

911LambMelb

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Even if you are the thread starter, you shouldn't forget that this is a free speech site and it won't ever be like Facebook.
You're reading lines I've not written. My post was in reference to pages and pages of price complaints. People can do as they will, but no need to repeat yourself like a parrot, there are no crackers to be had here lol.

Aug 26, 2022
Perfumery could be argued to be chemistry more than anything since there’s nothing but science behind it. It’s an interesting debate to say wether perfumers are artists because let’s face it does there REALLY need to be an entire collegiate discourse behind each and every single fragrance just to explain what went into them?

Just tell people what these smell like and make samples. If the product itself with EO is Ensar’s philosophy that we’re buying shouldn’t that be a bit alarming? If we’re paying for the supposed plane tickets and costs to run his business shouldn’t we speak out about the supposed “sold out sorry never coming back” slogans only to get up charged a year later and told that the materials in the same perfumes already made are no magically more expensive sitting in the bottle because the plant ticket used to cost $200 round trip at the time of purchase but NOW costs $350 round trip?

But it takes a college course from professor Ensar to understand basic perfumery? I don’t buy it.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
I actually like when perfumers get weird and get deep into what they see as their art. Sure Chemistry plays a part(organic chemistry in Ensar’s case) but I do think we have to see it as more than just chemistry.

Music after all needs audio engineering but isn’t JUST audio engineering.

My father who worked in the inorganic chemistry side of scented products would always remind everyone that he wasn’t a perfumer because “those people are artists, I’m a scientist.”

I also think there is a difference between art and craft. Something like making the perfect Oud rose is probably more like a craft. The template is there. Occasionally one might have several strokes of brilliance in reimagining an Oud rose. But let’s say for the most part we are talking about skill, craftsmanship and quality of materials.

Whereas I think other original compositions lie in the realm of art, whether we say high art, low art or even bad art.

Ensar, in this case, says some pretty funny things. I like the idea that we need a college course to unpack “Moshpit Pavarotti” —- every time I tell a dad joke that makes my girl groan, I’m gonna tell her she needs a college course to understand. It’s gonna drive her nuts. I can’t wait.

Price point is nice! Might have to sample these from Sk!

Aug 26, 2022
I actually like when perfumers get weird and get deep into what they see as their art. Sure Chemistry plays a part(organic chemistry in Ensar’s case) but I do think we have to see it as more than just chemistry.

Music after all needs audio engineering but isn’t JUST audio engineering.

My father who worked in the inorganic chemistry side of scented products would always remind everyone that he wasn’t a perfumer because “those people are artists, I’m a scientist.”

I also think there is a difference between art and craft. Something like making the perfect Oud rose is probably more like a craft. The template is there. Occasionally one might have several strokes of brilliance in reimagining an Oud rose. But let’s say for the most part we are talking about skill, craftsmanship and quality of materials.

Whereas I think other original compositions lie in the realm of art, whether we say high art, low art or even bad art.

Ensar, in this case, says some pretty funny things. I like the idea that we need a college course to unpack “Moshpit Pavarotti” —- every time I tell a dad joke that makes my girl groan, I’m gonna tell her she needs a college course to understand. It’s gonna drive her nuts. I can’t wait.

Price point is nice! Might have to sample these from Sk!
See this is where the debate gets fun because fine art can’t really be reproduced but science can. There was this funny distiller on Ouddict awhile back that got everyone riled up because he’d make these posts trying provoke distillers and fans who thought there was ANY artistry in distillation. His argument was that it’s all science. It’s purely science. You can teach anyone the proper skills to effectively distill Oud and that really got under a lot of folks skin. Mine included.

But once I understood what he meant it put it all into perspective. Perfumery closest relative would be music because perfumery needs harmony of notes in order to succeed in telling a story. Fine art however does not. You can have a grotesque painting that still accomplishes what it set out to do but more often than not most perfumers are just musicians working with chemicals. Not artists working with paint brushes.

Ensar could compare himself to Bach and Mozart and it would make more sense than calling himself the Albanian Van Gogh. But that’s a debate for another time.

For now I’ll just say it takes a college discourse to understand 🤪🤪🤪

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I think you're not interpreting what I'm saying correctly. Discuss the price, but we don't want to see people harping on about it with nonstop complaining etc. Continue.

You're reading lines I've not written. My post was in reference to pages and pages of price complaints. People can do as they will, but no need to repeat yourself like a parrot, there are no crackers to be had here lol.

An ongoing pricing issue demands an ongoing complaint until we see some sort of resolution and change, in this case....we finally did, which many of us are grateful for, as we are now seeing EO is taking steps to address the pricing bracket issue, and to be more inclusive, as I said, it's a move in the right direction that EO deserved credits for.

Pricing like the Woke Collection would never have happened without a load of people complaining along with EO willingness to address it. At the end of the day, it all came down to the price, it's the number 1 factor for many of us. i really don't give a hoot about the rarity of the ingredients, or the philosophy behind it, i only care about how much the perfume cost, and how it smelled, nothing else matters.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Art has price to it, and if product doesnt blow minds then its not worth what artist is asking, and that seems to not settle in for Ensar. Ego is overblown and he expects all to shell out any amount of money because its " Ensar ".
Thats one of the reasons why artists of the past died in poverty.
But his grace heard our "merchant" nagging, and under a threat ofdescending to our level and being called "merchant" himself, still blessed us with the 'Woke' collection.
Oh kindness, oh self-sacrifice that he bestow upon us will never be forgotten, generations and generations past
Tsk

In Amber

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 12, 2019
An ongoing pricing issue demands an ongoing complaint until we see some sort of resolution and change, in this case....we finally did, which many of us are grateful for, as we are now seeing EO is taking steps to address the pricing bracket issue, and to be more inclusive, as I said, it's a move in the right direction that EO deserved credits for.

Pricing like the Woke Collection would never have happened without a load of people complaining along with EO willingness to address it. At the end of the day, it all came down to the price, it's the number 1 factor for many of us. i really don't give a hoot about the rarity of the ingredients, or the philosophy behind it, i only care about how much the perfume cost, and how it smelled, nothing else matters.
i think possibly more to do with the fact that the 1.5k plus perfumes have been hanging around on the site now for a long time which indicates many people are over these prices now or can no longer afford to take a punt on these super expensive blind buys . We have also become so conditioned to these super high prices that $400 for a 30ml blind buy seems like a deal and nothing at all.

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
I don’t think there’s drama I just think people are freely discussing how ridiculous that video is.
My approach to this video is a bit paternalistic. That's why I simply smile with some of his statements.

To believe that the average Joe is not going to understand what Albanian Van Gogh, Moshpit Pavarotti or even a morisco mean is kind of cute. You can call it ridiculous, but I don't think it's offensive at all.

In art, as a non-spoken rule, only those who visualize themselves as above others succeed.

As for the 'future generarions' and 'college courses' part, let me tell you that this is the way many or even most artists think about their work.

Craziness. Idea. Art.

What I enjoyed about Ensar's video was his will.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
i think possibly more to do with the fact that the 1.5k plus perfumes have been hanging around on the site now for a long time which indicates many people are over these prices now or can no longer afford to take a punt on these super expensive blind buys . We have also become so conditioned to these super high prices that $400 for a 30ml blind buy seems like a deal and nothing at all.
Sadly it seems to be the case, a lot of us be looking at $400 EO perfume like it was the best deal ever, relatively speaking.... it is kinda true in today's EO pricing standard LOL but the reality is.... that's the price of a car payment, or a month or two worth of grocery, perfume is a luxury consumable item, no different than fine wine or premium cigar, they're not a necessity, it would be unrealistic and gullible to assume otherwise. In today's inflation climate, I feel MUCH better and happier to have MORE money in my pocket as a financial cushion, than keep buying more and more expensive perfumes or premium cigars, both of which i already have plenty being stocked up to begin with.

If EO releases a super duper Elixir of Wealth in 15ml Pure Parfum tomorrow, that smelled amazing for $20K, would anyone buy it? LOL come on now....

brothernature

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 22, 2020
*furiously keeps reading through the thread*

I took a gamble with TG and while it’s a super nice addition (if you don’t have any other MG) I just can’t keep up with the prices at this point. It was super easy to sell these at little to no loss if you didn’t love ‘em until like a year ago but the rolling of the dice is too big nowadays, at least for me.

I’ll keep loving the ones I own and will read everyone’s thoughts on the new releases but the hole in my pockets got to big lol

I have a few listed at extreme discounts and zero interest. First time ever for me…

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Someone would buy it. Ensar has a slice of the ‘best’ customers in this niche.

Oh, if someone would pay $28K for a cheese sandwich, I'm pretty sure there'll be that special someone who would pay $20K for 15ml perfume, but it wouldn't be the norm now would it? The majority of the EO fans won't be buying no $20K perfume. 😅

1669836286307.png

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
^ yea no way normies would pay that price. If there’s always someone that will.

And btw: that’s Marilyn Monroe on toast, hardly the Virgin Mary!

Aug 26, 2022
My approach to this video is a bit paternalistic. That's why I simply smile with some of his statements.

To believe that the average Joe is not going to understand what Albanian Van Gogh, Moshpit Pavarotti or even a morisco mean is kind of cute. You can call it ridiculous, but I don't think it's offensive at all.

In art, as a non-spoken rule, only those who visualize themselves as above others succeed.

As for the 'future generarions' and 'college courses' part, let me tell you that this is the way many or even most artists think about their work.

Craziness. Idea. Art.

I’ve been thinking about this statement and I’m not sure if I agree. Could you give some examples outside of Ensar to illustrate this point? It’s certainly a different way of looking at the ability to succeed but I’d say a more scientific approach to artistic success is rising above the Krueger Dunning effect which all too often traps people from realizing their place within the world as a sort of defect from being able to objectively see the world as others see themselves. But as an individual meets themself deeper and realizes that what they thought was their own mastery was actually an inability to see levels above their own achievements only then can one improve.

It’s why mediocrity is often heralded by fans and artists alike and why mediocrity is what’s most commercially successful. Neither the artist nor the patron understands the art enough to be able to discern between what’s a true value and mastery so most go on assuming that what they like is the absolute best that the specific discipline has to offer.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
*furiously keeps reading through the thread*

I took a gamble with TG and while it’s a super nice addition (if you don’t have any other MG) I just can’t keep up with the prices at this point. It was super easy to sell these at little to no loss if you didn’t love ‘em until like a year ago but the rolling of the dice is too big nowadays, at least for me.

I’ll keep loving the ones I own and will read everyone’s thoughts on the new releases but the hole in my pockets got to big lol

I have a few listed at extreme discounts and zero interest. First time ever for me…

A snowball effect. As far as I can see, FOMO has run its course for many, and high price products are no longer sustainable for many as well.

To win back customers like you, EO would have to crank out releases that are more approachable and affordable, not only that, but to offer samples so you get to try them first, and don't have to blind buy them, blowing ton of cash on something that has the 50/50 chance of being disappointed and end up being sold with a loss.

Lower price = you're more likely to buy again, and more customers can actually afford them.
Having samples = you won't have to blind buy and losing out money from unloading them in dumpster fire sales.

if EO doesn't adapt and change, they will continue to see customers like yourself (and me) to go on hibernation mode for a longer period of time, and some that have already, if not potentially quit the hobby altogether, due to loss of confidence, loss of trust, and lost of hard-earned cash.

From what I can tell so far, releases like the Woke Collection should, and will, fill the gap in the mid-range price sector for the majority of the fans, it's the BIGGEST fish and BIGGEST piece of the pie. If they don't continue to fill this gap, more new perfumers will keep coming out of the woodwork to do it.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
Ben mentioned his love for Homeros og parfum. I never got to try that. But I do have the attar, and am wearing it now. Pretty amazing. Smoky, woody, floral, salty, loads of saffron and so dense. One swipe to the wrist is good for a scent cloud all night. I don't have a ton of attars, but this one is a benchmark for attar that projects. And price is pretty good too, $199 for 2gs. I can get a lot of wears out of 2g, one swipe per.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Ben mentioned his love for Homeros og parfum. I never got to try that. But I do have the attar, and am wearing it now. Pretty amazing. Smoky, woody, floral, salty, loads of saffron and so dense. One swipe to the wrist is good for a scent cloud all night. I don't have a ton of attars, but this one is a benchmark for attar that projects. And price is pretty good too, $199 for 2gs. I can get a lot of wears out of 2g, one swipe per.
the oud smoke from the Homeros OG is killer, it's the very reason why i took a leap of faith on the new Moshpit Pavarotti from the Woke Morisco collection, hoping to obtain that amazing smokiness again. hopefully you aren't getting any offputting ashtry or cigarette butt type of smoke from it. LOL I'm on the lucky camp to get the Oaky firewood smoke instead of ashtray like some people did, Homeros OG is absolutely amazing in cold weather.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I’ve been thinking about this statement and I’m not sure if I agree. Could you give some examples outside of Ensar to illustrate this point? It’s certainly a different way of looking at the ability to succeed but I’d say a more scientific approach to artistic success is rising above the Krueger Dunning effect which all too often traps people from realizing their place within the world as a sort of defect from being able to objectively see the world as others see themselves. But as an individual meets themself deeper and realizes that what they thought was their own mastery was actually an inability to see levels above their own achievements only then can one improve.

It’s why mediocrity is often heralded by fans and artists alike and why mediocrity is what’s most commercially successful. Neither the artist nor the patron understands the art enough to be able to discern between what’s a true value and mastery so most go on assuming that what they like is the absolute best that the specific discipline has to offer.
Personally, i ain't got no room for mediocracy anymore, especially for consumable products that cost a fortune, be it perfume or cigars, only the best would do.

Life is way too short to settle for anything less, I'm all for best bang for my buck, only the best get to stay, anything less than 9 out of 10 is going to get unloaded and booted out of the collection.

On the flip side of the coin, it can be useful and good to keep a few mediocre craps around, just to have a few good laughs, as long as they aren't terribly expensive, those crappy mediocracy also could make you appreciate your best stuff that much more, as a reminder why you only keep the best to begin with!!! 😂

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019

Nice post.

Answering your question as I'd like would be too dense and off-topic, but just pick 5 random artists from any discipline, from the past, and read about them; I mean, dive deep into their lives. You might find something in common.

Same happens nowadays (aside from the neo-Yodas); outside art, as well.

In Amber

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 12, 2019

Craziness. Idea. Art.

what a lot of people are not taking into account also is Ensar as far as i know is based in London now , the perfumes are still shipping from Jordan so one might assume he is directing them remotely with instructions on blending etc and not working hands on with the materials . So are the claims of artistry possibly a little over reaching? I think for quite some time now the majority of the releases are blended and put together by his team IN Jordan with Ensar advising remotely . All of which is fine but I don't think the perfumes are created hands on by Ensar in the same way early releases such as EO1 and 2 etc were . As I say this is more an observation rather than a critique .

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
what a lot of people are not taking into account also is Ensar as far as i know is based in London now , the perfumes are still shipping from Jordan so one might assume he is directing them remotely with instructions on blending etc and not working hands on with the materials . So are the claims of artistry possibly a little over reaching? I think for quite some time now the majority of the releases are blended and put together by his team IN Jordan with Ensar advising remotely . All of which is fine but I don't think the perfumes are created hands on by Ensar in the same way early releases such as EO1 and 2 etc were . As I say this is more an observation rather than a critique .
Yes, all this started with OG Crime and Punishment during the lockdown, do you remember?, with that rant against Russian Adam and all that over-the-top and detailed description about a fragrance that he did not even smell; but in this case, I think he has written or said that this collection has been in the works for 2-3 years, so who knows..

My intuition tells me that he really needs us to consider him as an artist, not just as a vendor, not even a perfumer: an artist. Another thing is wether he is one or even a good one. And as you pointed out, there is a team behind him... That said, I personally salute the effort.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Yes, all this started with OG Crime and Punishment during the lockdown, do you remember?, with that rant against Russian Adam and all that over-the-top and detailed description about a fragrance that he did not even smell; but in this case, I think he has written or said that this collection has been in the works for 2-3 years, so who knows..

My intuition tells me that he really needs us to consider him as an artist, not just as a vendor, not even a perfumer: an artist. Another thing is wether he is one or even a good one. And as you pointed out, there is a team behind him... That said, I personally salute the effort.
If i remember correctly, I think it started with Tigerlust OG during COVID lockdown, due to travel restrictions Ensar had to remotely coach his team from a different location on the composition.

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
If i remember correctly, I think it started with Tigerlust OG during COVID lockdown, due to travel restrictions Ensar had to remotely coach his team from a different location on the composition.
C&P was the first time I heard about this practice. There's a thread started by solvovir called 'Ensar oud crime & punishment', right before 911LambMelb created this one, but maybe Tigerlust came first. I don't remember.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
Just so everyone knows Jinkoh Store and Agar Aura offer oriscent quality oils and better starting at $250-300/gram

The Attar Store has the exact same Qaboos oils as Ensar but is selling them for around $500-700 cheaper. Apparently the exclusive nature of ensars relationship with Qaboos was a lie and with the exact same oils being released by other brands and being compared side by side has disproven ensars claims of having exclusive access to the Sultan’s stash.

Even Kinamic Notes is getting better quality, cheaper SQ products.

Ahom Oud is also receiving the exact same musk and ambergris products not to mention Elixir Attar has had the same oils also in stock for the same amount of time but cheaper.
Is it not possible that Ensar’s ‘special relationship’ allowed him to get first dibs on the Qaboos stash? It seemed that he had the stuff before anybody else was able to work through distributors. There was apparently LOTs of SQ stock but all distributors weren’t able to acquire (nor offered, according to some) some of everything that was originally available.

His prices are truly ridiculous but if he was told that only he would have access, then they later decided to open the remaining stash up to rest of industry… I’d be pissed if I were him. I’d almost expect a video explanation at some point.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Crime and punishment was first one, since it was his temper tantrum over the shitty feedback on EO2. But it was still presumably cooked by Ensar.
Tigerlust was the first composition that was not monotonous, but prepared by his team.

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
Crime and punishment was first one, since it was his temper tantrum over the shitty feedback on EO2. But it was still presumably cooked by Ensar.
Tigerlust was the first composition that was not monotonous, but prepared by his team.
Tigerlust actually came first (12.22.19), followed just seven weeks later by Crime & Punishment (2.9.20), so it's easy to mix them up. Both were later revealed as having been "composed remotely" by Ensar, during the onset of lock-down in his part of the world, while he creatively directed his team via video conferencing. Neither perfume was actually smelled by Ensar prior to their release.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Tigerlust actually came first (12.22.19), followed just seven weeks later by Crime & Punishment (2.9.20), so it's easy to mix them up. Both were later revealed as having been "composed remotely" by Ensar, during the onset of lock-down in his part of the world, while he creatively directed his team via video conferencing. Neither perfume was actually smelled by Ensar prior to their release.
Boss entered the chat 😁

Felt like he had his temper tantrum, and then went back to business, but guess i was wrong. Good to know facts 👍🏽

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020

Yea that's from my recollection as well.

Many people also believed over half of the EO releases to date were actually composed and created by Thomas and Adam, whereas Ensar have zero involvement as well, not sure how much truth in that legend but that was the speculation.

Aug 26, 2022
Is it not possible that Ensar’s ‘special relationship’ allowed him to get first dibs on the Qaboos stash? It seemed that he had the stuff before anybody else was able to work through distributors. There was apparently LOTs of SQ stock but all distributors weren’t able to acquire (nor offered, according to some) some of everything that was originally available.

His prices are truly ridiculous but if he was told that only he would have access, then they later decided to open the remaining stash up to rest of industry… I’d be pissed if I were him. I’d almost expect a video explanation at some point.
No because other vendors at the exact same time also had the same stash. You have to remember Gulf vendors received this stuff first. Elixir Attars actually was selling the same Qaboos stuff at the same time it’s just that Ahmed didn’t make a huge deal about it because well…it wasn’t worth making a splash. He was selling the oils behind the scenes to his clientele.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...