All Things Ensar Oud

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
Still waiting for Ensar to recreate Old Spice classic. He nailed the English Leather side with SLA but now we need Old Spice. That would be incredible and Ensar is probably the only one that could pull it off.

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
Anybody here strongly recommend Private Blend, or strongly feel like going with a different Ensar offering is the way to go? I’ve had EO 1/KK/and Jungle…….but sold them all, not because I didn’t like them, but because I was wanting to purchase some other stuff more.

Also, was considering Tibetan Musk too

Bust_Nuttington1211

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 17, 2021
Anybody here strongly recommend Private Blend, or strongly feel like going with a different Ensar offering is the way to go? I’ve had EO 1/KK/and Jungle…….but sold them all, not because I didn’t like them, but because I was wanting to purchase some other stuff more.

Also, was considering Tibetan Musk too
I can’t speak on Private Blend, though I have heard very good things.
What I can say is that Tibetan Musk is fantastic. I have tried about a dozen perfumes from Ensar, and I have yet to find another that matches TM in terms of blending. It truly smells like a complete perfume rather than an attar-turned-perfume, which is what I get from some of his other releases (not that this a bad thing, just a different approach). If you’re looking for a classic/French-inspired perfume made with EO ingredients, Tibetan Musk is the one.

Rgpick

Jan 21, 2022
Just applied my attar version of Homeros I received and my goodness, this is going to take some time to examine. I immediately love it but this combo of salty, spicy, animalic, and musky is complex. I keep getting new facets almost by the minute. Just got something slightly....medicinal while typing this. What an absolute winner!

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
Just applied my attar version of Homeros I received and my goodness, this is going to take some time to examine. I immediately love it but this combo of salty, spicy, animalic, and musky is complex. I keep getting new facets almost by the minute. Just got something slightly....medicinal while typing this. What an absolute winner!
I've had mine awhile now and have steadily been draining my small vial.

This one is a real mystery to me, as I still can't even tell if I like it! But I agree that it has a satisfying and mysterious complexity to it.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
As a fan of Ensar's Sultan Leather attar, I felt myself lucky to obtain a gram of OG SLA, one of the giveaways in the current Jubilee sales. Tonight I am wearing OG on one arm, current version on the other. Man, its a heavenly leathery cloud surrounding me here on the sofa this evening!

Up close, the two have some differences. The OG is heavier on rose than the current and is a tad sweeter. The rose co-stars with the oud in the OG. The current version has a dialed back rose (its still there) and has a greener profile. I assume the green note is a vetiver or khus. And the current oud has a coffee/espresso note that I don't get on the OG.

Similarities. Although the ouds in both may well be of different provenance (just guessing), both share a penetrating phenolic, oily character. And both versions produce a beautiful leather accord that projects well. I believe, and wife confirms, that from a few feet away the two attars are difficult to tell apart.

Knize Ten, Cuir de Russie, stand aside. SLA, both versions, rate as "the best" (meaning, my favorite) leather fragrance I have ever worn.

For now. I try EO No 1 Assam in a day or two. And I still have to track down a sample of Sultan Leather Ghalia

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
As a fan of Ensar's Sultan Leather attar, I felt myself lucky to obtain a gram of OG SLA, one of the giveaways in the current Jubilee sales. Tonight I am wearing OG on one arm, current version on the other. Man, its a heavenly leathery cloud surrounding me here on the sofa this evening!

Up close, the two have some differences. The OG is heavier on rose than the current and is a tad sweeter. The rose co-stars with the oud in the OG. The current version has a dialed back rose (its still there) and has a greener profile. I assume the green note is a vetiver or khus. And the current oud has a coffee/espresso note that I don't get on the OG.

Similarities. Although the ouds in both may well be of different provenance (just guessing), both share a penetrating phenolic, oily character. And both versions produce a beautiful leather accord that projects well. I believe, and wife confirms, that from a few feet away the two attars are difficult to tell apart.

Knize Ten, Cuir de Russie, stand aside. SLA, both versions, rate as "the best" (meaning, my favorite) leather fragrance I have ever worn.

For now. I try EO No 1 Assam in a day or two. And I still have to track down a sample of Sultan Leather Ghalia
Awesome thanks for the comparison! I’ve been curious about the current iteration compared to the OG.
Funny…I actually came to post about EO1 just now, and I kept thinking EO1/SLA should be studied in prestigious perfume schools as an example of the epitome of what a perfume could…and should be. It is most definitely THE best “leather” frag on the planet, and always remains in my top 5 of anything I’ve ever smelled, if I could only pick 5 for the rest of my life, SLA/EO1 would be there.

But what I came to post is…
I finally pick up the tea note in EO1 that people used to talk about, now a few years later I’m finally noticing or interpreting it that way too lol. I think it’s an illusion but it’s pretty awesome when I pick it up. Like a clean, fresh brewed black tea. Maybe Harney & Sons. EO1 is aging beautifully. Not losing any of it’s nuclear power or profile.

SLG is incredible too…can’t compare it to SLA because they are so different…but I can see how they are related if I concentrate. SLG to me is a rose field at 4am in a Dick Tracy type street setting with dew and fog rolling through still dark out, opening roses collecting drops of dew, and a man in a white suit and trench coat, like a 1930’s gangster, holding a cigarette in the shadows of a dim street light near the rose field. You can sorta smell the fresh cigarette smoke passing through the cool rose filled air. It’s incredible.

I like when these little creations paint such vivid images.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
Awesome thanks for the comparison! I’ve been curious about the current iteration compared to the OG.
Funny…I actually came to post about EO1 just now, and I kept thinking EO1/SLA should be studied in prestigious perfume schools as an example of the epitome of what a perfume could…and should be. It is most definitely THE best “leather” frag on the planet, and always remains in my top 5 of anything I’ve ever smelled, if I could only pick 5 for the rest of my life, SLA/EO1 would be there.

But what I came to post is…
I finally pick up the tea note in EO1 that people used to talk about, now a few years later I’m finally noticing or interpreting it that way too lol. I think it’s an illusion but it’s pretty awesome when I pick it up. Like a clean, fresh brewed black tea. Maybe Harney & Sons. EO1 is aging beautifully. Not losing any of it’s nuclear power or profile.

SLG is incredible too…can’t compare it to SLA because they are so different…but I can see how they are related if I concentrate. SLG to me is a rose field at 4am in a Dick Tracy type street setting with dew and fog rolling through still dark out, opening roses collecting drops of dew, and a man in a white suit and trench coat, like a 1930’s gangster, holding a cigarette in the shadows of a dim street light near the rose field. You can sorta smell the fresh cigarette smoke passing through the cool rose filled air. It’s incredible.

I like when these little creations paint such vivid images.
I assume that Ensar will do another batch of SLG, sure hope so. Would love to try it

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Awesome, thanks! Definitely keep an eye out in the swaps for this one. Have you tried it? How is it?
It’s very rough, minimalistic and raw. I didn’t get any old spice vibes from it all but I can kind of see how people would get old spice vibes from it because there’s oakmoss. It’s extremely sweaty/animalic in a way that I’m just not a fan of.

Sultan al Hindi

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 5, 2020
Awesome, thanks! Definitely keep an eye out in the swaps for this one. Have you tried it? How is it?
I was only able to sample it during a family event (lot of fragheads in the family), but from what I remember, the oud was a big player in it and of a spicy resinous kind ( Indonesian ouds come to mind). There were facets of brown and green vetiver with a sparkly rose in the opening that was short-lived . I believe it has musk in it also, but at the time it didn't feel overtly musky. I think a year of macerating would have changed that so it'd be interesting to see how it smells now. The write up definitely hits the mark though i.e gives off a very resinous and jungle sort of aroma.

Sultan al Hindi

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 5, 2020
It’s very rough, minimalistic and raw. I didn’t get any old spice vibes from it all but I can kind of see how people would get old spice vibes from it because there’s oakmoss. It’s extremely sweaty/animalic in a way that I’m just not a fan of.
Interesting! Did you try it recently or quite some time ago, as I got almost zero animalic from it.

Xerohome

Basenotes Member
Jul 20, 2021
one of the best perfumes I tried this year is Blue Kalbar PP (and Attar form). this one is a masterpiece in my opinion. it's everything I wanted in a perfume. it's sweet, creamy, relaxing and addictive. the amount of blue lotus, sandalwood and musk used in Blue Kalbar are just perfect. I have Mystical lotus but honestly I prefer Blue Kalbar.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
one of the best perfumes I tried this year is Blue Kalbar PP (and Attar form). this one is a masterpiece in my opinion. it's everything I wanted in a perfume. it's sweet, creamy, relaxing and addictive. the amount of blue lotus, sandalwood and musk used in Blue Kalbar are just perfect. I have Mystical lotus but honestly I prefer Blue Kalbar.
Yes BK is awesome. I haven’t tried ML. How do they differ?

Diamond Joe

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
Any thoughts on the EO2: Tibet? Especially compared to Private Blend? Looking for the musk to end all musks.

Anybody here strongly recommend Private Blend, or strongly feel like going with a different Ensar offering is the way to go? I’ve had EO 1/KK/and Jungle…….but sold them all, not because I didn’t like them, but because I was wanting to purchase some other stuff more. Also, was considering Tibetan Musk too

I'm a *huge* fan of EO's musk creations. I own full bottles of Tibetan Musk, Tonkin Musk, Siber Extreme, Private Blend, and EO2 (the OG, and I have decants of EO2 Kashmir and Tibet).

My favorites are Tibetan Musk and Private Blend. They *are* the musks to end all musks IMHO. Tibetan Musk is the only EO I own a backup bottle of (and I would back up Private Blend if I could afford it!!), so that says something about how highly I regard both perfumes... I never want to run out of either! I actually prefer the current iteration of Private Blend (with the musk trifecta vs the original Siberian musk version). I do also love Tonkin Musk and Siber Extreme, but Tibetan Musk and Private Blend are just a notch above.

My EO2 gets the least wears and I've been considering selling it, but the OG (Siberian) version is, to me, still the best. Better than the Kashmir or Tibet. I *do* enjoy the Tibet version, but for some reason the performance on it has been pretty lousy, hoping that will change with a bit of age.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Interesting! Did you try it recently or quite some time ago, as I got almost zero animalic from it.
The sample I received was filled with musk grains and had a strong, sweaty animalic aroma. It’s kind of hard to think someone couldn’t smell the animalics but I’m also not a huge fan of deer musk so I’m sensitive to it. But then again I also didn’t get anything close to Old Spice in aroma so I guess it’s a “ymmv” kind of situation.

I wonder if he’s made multiple batches? My sample is from 2020 I believe or early 2021 at least. I’ve had it for a while. I’ll pull it out again check what I’m smelling but I’m just not into that kind of deer musk aroma especially with a hardcore dose of Siberian musk grains in the vial.

Xerohome

Basenotes Member
Jul 20, 2021
Yes BK is awesome. I haven’t tried ML. How do they differ?
BK is bright, joyful and easy to wear. ML is more suitable for formal wear, it's concentrated, oudy, and has this salty note in the drydown that I don't like (most likely due to ambergris and Piony LTD). if I hvae to choose i'll pick BK any day. this is an example that is more doesn't mean better, at least to my liking.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
BK is bright, joyful and easy to wear. ML is more suitable for formal wear, it's concentrated, oudy, and has this salty note in the drydown that I don't like (most likely due to ambergris and Piony LTD). if I hvae to choose i'll pick BK any day. this is an example that is more doesn't mean better, at least to my liking.
TY

Rick94

Basenotes Member
May 19, 2017
Oudy is goody, right? More Oud always better than less.
For sure lol. I meant it in a good way.
What do you smell when you spray it?
Any comparison to other releases?
How heavy or airy is it?
Not much of a difference than OS75. Just as dark, floral and musky. But the oud used imo is ten times better. It’s bolder and very present. Especially in the dry down.
The dry down is like taking a fat swipe of malaysian oud with dark florals and musk. Has that nice dusty Malaysian oud profile.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013

Not much of a difference than OS75. Just as dark, floral and musky. But the oud used imo is ten times better. It’s bolder and very present. Especially in the dry down.
The dry down is like taking a fat swipe of malaysian oud with dark florals and musk. Has that nice dusty Malaysian oud profile.
Sounds great. My bottle hasn’t shipped yet 😢

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019

What about culinary spices? None of that in this frag?
Didnt try OS75 so dont know what to compare to

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
Did you order the 50ml? From what I heard, they only shipped the 30ml’s so far.
I ordered a 30mL. No matter how great it is, 50mL is more than I could ever use. Too many frags on the shelf, and not enough time for me left on this big rock!

As I wait for OST, I am trying Fera parfum tonight for the first time. Holy cow it is terrific! Flowers, oud, civet and Tonkin Musk. Beautiful composition. More on this one later..

Latest News