All Things Ensar Oud

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I disagree on everything he said regarding it being so musk centric and focused...Incredible how our tastes are different and can completely change our impressions on a fragrance
haha.....yea, the feedback for SE is all over the place :ROFLMAO:, but definitely interesting how everyone perceived it differently for sure.

I think it’s his best work to date. It’s incredible. The complexity and balance is something worth discussing. I think everything leading up to this composition was stepping tones to reach this level of blending and harmony. A feat all too often overlooked in this corner of perfumery. Ensar really mastered his materials with Mystical Lotus.

Damn....for it to receive such high praise from you, ML sounds like something worthy of a "Masterpiece" label.

Haven't got a chance to sample the spray perfume, but I do have like 0.5g of this attar tucked away somewhere in one of them boxes, gotta have to dig it out and give it a spin.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
So what is Nha Trang Saafi, aside from all the technical jargon that goes right over my head, lol
It’s a fractionated Co2 extract that uses Co2 to essentially capture certain fractions of the oil verse distillation. It’s funny because this is the very thing that Ensar was complaining about in his posts.

Sometimes people will use Co2 extraction methods on wood to capture more delicate and violative top notes.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
Question on suriranka pp - how is it?
Fresh clean green oceanic, or herbs are overdone?
Did I read from someone that it is like a great soda?
I tried it for the first time yesterday. My notes

basil, rosemary, grapefruit and flowers to start. And ozonic oud. The basil and caraway combine to create an impression of anise. Then the ambergris comes up, delivering the salty layer with some vetiver and cedar.
Good stuff, reminds of Eau de Guerlain, but w. oud and ambergris. Also reminds somewhat of Jungle Kinam, but w ambergris and basil. Fits in well with 'marine' scents, with the ozonic oud and the ambergris.
I don’t get any orange, carrot, lavender or florals. Might need some florals? and more oud. The oud is great, but more please!
Also lacks in projection.​

To that I would add, it went to skin scent rather quickly, but soldiered on in that capacity for 24 hours. If you like Sel de Vetiver and Sel Marin, check this one out.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Things that scare me are rosemaries and Basil's thymes of all sorts, and Jungle kinam was one of the worst ensars I tried. Very green dense mugworth smell that I couldn't stomach.
Is suriranka as dense as this one?

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
there is a very nice review about Santal Sultan pp done by kafkaesque. you will also find some disagree from Ensar Oud in the comment section with kafkaesque opinions.
Ive been debating wether to post some of her clap backs but decided to spare the drama for another time. But I will say that she absolutely went off. Like seriously went off. It was kind of impressive I’m not going to lie.

I think my favorite part was like “ why would you think Id want to smell like herb roasted lemon chicken and buttered popcorn for 24 hours?”

Diamond Joe

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
Ive been debating wether to post some of her clap backs but decided to spare the drama for another time. But I will say that she absolutely went off. Like seriously went off. It was kind of impressive I’m not going to lie.

I think my favorite part was like “ why would you think Id want to smell like herb roasted lemon chicken and buttered popcorn for 24 hours?”
WOW not gonna lie, I freakin' LOVE Santal Sultan. Its amazing IMO. Beautiful, spicy and rich, yet smooth and creamy sandalwood with some very nice tart sweetness provided by pineapple, a citrus kick, and some white florals rounding the whole thing out and softening the edges - its easily one of my favorite Ensars and to date the best santal perfume I've ever smelled (Embers 21 is a distant 2nd). To be fair however, I do not have a nose that is 1/1,000,000th that of kafkaesque.

Chet_Karim

Basenotes Member
Sep 8, 2020
Somebody should send her a Vintage 84 sample. A superior sandlewood fragrance that flew under the radar due to a downpour of misplaced tears over pricing.

As an aside, I really don't understand why it is so hard for certain EO employees to take the high road when engaging in public debate.

Thanks for the review. Appreciate your time. Hope you enjoy the other samples. Cheers.....

It's really not that hard....

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
I actually agree with her that it's foodie and pineapple was horrible, but I don't get the drama. He wanted to clarify things and she kind of lashed out. And she got it free. My expectations were not met

Z_LiDs

Oct 6, 2021
WOW non mentirò, adoro Santal Sultan. È incredibile IMO. Bello, speziato e ricco, ma liscio e cremoso legno di sandalo con una dolcezza acida molto piacevole fornita dall'ananas, un tocco di agrumi e alcuni fiori bianchi che arrotondano il tutto e ammorbidiscono i bordi - è facilmente uno dei miei Ensar preferiti e fino ad oggi il il miglior profumo di babbo natale che abbia mai annusato (Embers 21 è un lontano 2°). Ad essere onesti, tuttavia, non ho un naso che sia 1/1.000.000 di quello kafkiano.
ioagree! Santal Sultan is stunning! really a masterpice in the world of sandalwood fragrance... for me also one of the best ensar

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
WOW not gonna lie, I freakin' LOVE Santal Sultan. Its amazing IMO. Beautiful, spicy and rich, yet smooth and creamy sandalwood with some very nice tart sweetness provided by pineapple, a citrus kick, and some white florals rounding the whole thing out and softening the edges - its easily one of my favorite Ensars and to date the
she really hates them culinary-type spices lol can't really associate any of those lemon herbs and honey, buttermilk or popcorn that she was referring to..... :ROFLMAO: Scent is subjective anyway, just like the Musk Yusuf, i still can't associate Pizza or fried chicken with it, it doesn't really smell like anything that is edible to me. 😝

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
WOW not gonna lie, I freakin' LOVE Santal Sultan. Its amazing IMO. Beautiful, spicy and rich, yet smooth and creamy sandalwood with some very nice tart sweetness provided by pineapple, a citrus kick, and some white florals rounding the whole thing out and softening the edges - its easily one of my favorite Ensars and to date the best santal perfume I've ever smelled (Embers 21 is a distant 2nd). To be fair however, I do not have a nose that is 1/1,000,000th that of kafkaesque.
I agree with her though. It’s pure herbal/savory umami notes for me. So much so I smell like curry for half the day. My work partner confirmed the same thing so maybe it’s a skin chemistry thing. I never got any pineapple but to me it was a combo of Dettol soap, rosemary and buttery curry sandalwood.

I’d buy a full bottle if it wasn’t for how intensely foodie it is on my skin.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
I also think it’s easy to become acclimated to heavy spices that Ensar uses because of compositions like EO2, private blend, and whatever else smells like EO2. For me anytime cumin, black pepper, rosemary, and herbal notes are combined with sandalwood it almost always smells umami to my nose.

Musk Yusuf is a perfect example. The spice blend mixing with the Cambodian Oud in the drydown which already has a savory dried fruit quality absolutely mixed to create a umami’ish food note on my skin.

It’s just too much for my tastes to wear all the time.

Ibn Arabi is another example was just too similar to soy sauce mixed with rosemary and pineapple to smell like an umami rich savory accord that simply is difficult to pull off. Ensar absolutely has gravitated towards umami notes lately and while I respect those notes I just have a hard time wearing them. They truly are pieces of art more so than wearable fragrances for myself.

I do think Kafkaesque went alittle overboard with her rant towards Ensar but it’s very rare it’s see anyone hold their own against his debating skills. I’m not saying I agree with her going off the rails but god damn it was funny.

Z_LiDs

Oct 6, 2021
Penso che Kafkaesque abbia esagerato con il suo sfogo nei confronti di Ensar, ma è molto raro che qualcuno tenga testa alle sue capacità di dibattito. Non sto dicendo che sono d'accordo con la sua uscita dai binari, ma dannazione è stato divertente.
A cosa ti riferisci? C'è stata una discussione su questo forum o altrove? could you please link me it?

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I agree with her though. It’s pure herbal/savory umami notes for me. So much so I smell like curry for half the day. My work partner confirmed the same thing so maybe it’s a skin chemistry thing. I never got any pineapple but to me it was a combo of Dettol soap, rosemary and buttery curry sandalwood.

I’d buy a full bottle if it wasn’t for how intensely foodie it is on my skin.

I guess having a delicate nose with super high accuracy could be either a blessing or a curse, depending on how you look at it, in a way I guess I'm blessed with a blunt sense of smell, or lack thereof.... less picky olfactory receptors, and am able to enjoy some of the stuff that you guys may find repulsive, or uninteresting.....haha. 😁

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
I guess having a delicate nose with super high accuracy could be either a blessing or a curse, depending on how you look at it, in a way I guess I'm blessed with a blunt sense of smell, or lack thereof.... less picky olfactory receptors, and am able to enjoy some of the stuff that you guys may find repulsive, or uninteresting.....haha. 😁
Well, but that backfires at you. Imagine you come around all nice and jolly wearing santal sultan, but to those with sensitive nose, you smell like a roasted chicken with herbs. Maybe not the image you want to communicate ? 😋😉

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Well, but that backfires at you. Imagine you come around all nice and jolly wearing santal sultan, but to those with sensitive nose, you smell like a roasted chicken with herbs. Maybe not the image you want to communicate ? 😋😉
I think the masses would agree that they would rather smell roasted chicken and popcorn, than something like I just crawled out from six feet under.... like NFU, made them wonder if i was alive or a walking dead.....or simply smelling like a zoo-keeper with all those heavy musk and animalics. LOL

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
But we are not talking about the masses, but about perfume snobs with sensitive noses.
Prob 2nd be more appealing, minus mushrooms
I couldn't care less about any other snobs. LOL I might just wear something they found repulsive just to piss them off. :ROFLMAO: In reality, the real world that I live in, I don't have any perfume snobs in my social circle or at work in the office, the majority of the male colleagues around town (I'm talking Management level in the Corporate world) only wear Deodorants to work, they don't even wear perfume, I'd be lucky to smell hairspray off of them!! LOL :ROFLMAO: While most females that I know....only wear designers.

Speaking of which, a friend of mine smelled W&P2 off of me the first and last time about a year or so ago, she literally said i smell like death. :LOL:

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
The way I look at it, perfume reviews are data points, to help me decide what perfumes I should try. Once I've tried a perfume, I go with what my nose tells me is good. Doesn't matter then what a reviewer says about it. So Kafka's review of SS? Interesting to skim (couldn't slog through it in detail, she does tend to go on), but ultimately no matter. SS still a winner to my nose.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
To the extent that our brains naturally fill in blanks, I think that association really shapes the way we smell things. For instance, if someone is particularly used to lemon and pine in a specific ratio as bathroom cleaner, in dirty bathrooms, then when they smell a similar pine and lemon accord in perfumery, their brain fills in the blanks and you’ll literally smell pee.

This phenomenon is most widely known in visual fields. If you pass a sign that says WATCH OUT RAN AHEAD, WET ROAD, 9/10 people will read WATCH OUT RAIN AHEAD, WET ROAD.

So I think this perfume is the same way, butter note from sandalwood, herbs, lemon… your brain fills in the chicken IF you are used to cooking chicken in butter, lemon and herbs.

Just my crackpot theory.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
War and Peace could suit a vampire very well, I agree :)

Aware of corp world. People are sooo afraid to step out of the box. But maybe it's for the better, less of the AdG, Sauvage and stuff like that.

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
As pointed by Chet_Karim, Ensar shouldn't publicly complaint about neutral or negative reviews. He must understand that there is intelligent life outside Facebook.

But with that said, I do support and certainly like the culinary-herbs path that he's taking lately, since I am, as many of you know, both a patron and an admirer of Angelo Pregoni's work, among others.

Regarding Kafka, she lost the artisanal wagon due to her long absence, even if she was the introductor of Adam, Ensar, Sultan Pasha and others to the west, so her takes must be partially consider.

Today I'm wearing Tibetan Musk PP, my favorite deer musk based blend to date.

A hug.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
The recent chat about culinary spices in fragrance prompted me to try Olde Hind parfum last night. I had thought it would not be for me, but to my surprise I actually kind of liked it. It is spicy for a time, but the dry down is pretty nice. Of course, I just had one of those tiny samples, so maybe this is one of those that is best if you go light with it. Anyway, I resolved to find a larger proper sample and try it again.

How does OH compare to EO2? anybody? I've been debating taking a blind run at EO2 EdP while its on sale.

babyboy

Apr 16, 2022
Hello dear community,

how are you?

I have a question about the fragrance Homeros Pure Parfum.

Is there a big difference between the Homeros PP in the leathercase and the Homeros PP with the gold badge?

I would be very happy about your answers.

Kind regards from Germany
Robert

Xerohome

Basenotes Member
Jul 20, 2021
Hello dear community,

how are you?

Is there a big difference between the Homeros PP in the leathercase and the Homeros PP with the gold badge?

Robert
what I know they are the same. EO usually do leather edition at the launch of new Parfum, then they do a golden plaque edition afterwards.
there is however another iteration called HOMEROS AMBRE which was released early this year, and it's different from the HOMEROS OG.

D

Deleted member 26360518

Hello dear community,

how are you?

Robert
For your question regarding the original Homeros, the leather sleeve was for the 50ml and the gold plaque was for the 30ml bottle. Earlier this year he released Homeros Ambre which was only in a 50ml bottle which came in the leather sleeve as well. Hope this helps.

Latest News