Bug Alerts are sporadic

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
I’ll caveat by stating that I may misunderstand how ‘Alerts’ work, so maybe not a bug?

But in the case of both threads I follow and forums I follow (Items for Sale), I only get an alert for every few posts or new threads.

I have every possible alert box checked in my preferences. Is there a frequency setting I can adjust?

I want to say earlier on in October, I’d get an alert every time. It isn’t that way anymore, if it ever was.

Upvote 1

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
I have officially stopped getting alerts from Items for Sale over the past 48 hours. None for new threads, none for bumps.

Subscribe/watched threads elsewhere still appear sporadic.

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
A month or so later they still seem very sporadic. I can’t be the only one this happens to, correct? Or am I not understanding how alerts work/need to tweak some settings?

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
But in the case of both threads I follow and forums I follow (Items for Sale), I only get an alert for every few posts or new threads.
This may be by design, where it only alerts you once for multiple posts if you haven't yet seen or cleared the previous alert. Below is an example from my alerts today, where it indicates that "there may be more posts after this." I received this one alert, but the thread had two responses in it. Does that explain some of what you're seeing? Other than that, I've been receiving all alerts as expected for reactions, quotes, messages, badges, etc.

1637632969609.png

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
@naylor yes I think the “may be posts after this” explains some of that and I’m good with not getting an alert for each and every post, especially when a bunch happen within 10-15 min of one another.

My concerns lie more with not getting an alert when new sales threads are posted (I am subscribed/watching the entire forum) or not getting alerts when there is new activity in a thread that had been dormant for a few days. This happened with Slumberhouse yesterday - I didn’t get any alerts but only noticed the posts when I went to check my watches threads this morning.

Which isn’t the end of the world, that’s how I used to operate before the relaunch. But I used to get Slumberhouse thread (or whatever thread) notifications often, sometimes many per day. To me that reads as sporadic but maybe there is a design aspect I’m just not aware of.

grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Sep 29, 2000
You should get an alert for threads and forums you are watching, however I think you won't get any more alerts from that thread or forum until you've visited them.

In any case you can see your Watched Threads and Watched Forums in the dropdown on the forums menu if you wanted to double check.

There is a third-party paid add on which is called Persistent Alerts which may help resolve the issue, but I'm always hesitant about adding third-party add ons as they may cause conflicts, break on upgrades or have security issues. But i'll keep it in mind if other people are having similar issues

Latest News