Al Shareef Oudh Dedicated Thread

MrPod

Jan 10, 2018
I'm wearing Ishraaq today. The bottles have very nice atomizers which give a nice fine mist of a spray.
Initially Ishraaq has a strong blast of incense - Clear cool lemony frankincense underpinned with spices and a slight animalic undertone. The incense stays the most prominent note for the first hour or so, and then the woods and the oud start becoming more prominent. The oud is mainly woody and resinous with a very slight skank to it. It's very well blended and I find it hard to pick out individual notes. I don't get any florals, but there is some sweetness as things progress. The dry down is a deep resinous oudy sweetness with a faint air of incense floating at the back. I like it a lot.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
I'm wearing Ishraaq today. The bottles have very nice atomizers which give a nice fine mist of a spray.
Initially Ishraaq has a strong blast of incense - Clear cool lemony frankincense underpinned with spices and a slight animalic undertone. The incense stays the most prominent note for the first hour or so, and then the woods and the oud start becoming more prominent. The oud is mainly woody and resinous with a very slight skank to it. It's very well blended and I find it hard to pick out individual notes. I don't get any florals, but there is some sweetness as things progress. The dry down is a deep resinous oudy sweetness with a faint air of incense floating at the back. I like it a lot.

Might be my natural substitute to Dawn.
How would you compare it between ensar, AA, areej?

Thanks

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
I start believing that Ward and Jasmine are like Ayahuaska - one sniff and ur in different dimension. BigBloke is just gathering knowledge and review thatll be Earthshattering :thumbsup:

bigbloke

Aug 17, 2013
Sorry for the delay folks. I had a spritz of Ward the other day but only made very brief notes. I tried it again today and have made detailed notes:

Al Shareef Oudh: Ward

Nice hit of Rose in the opening, sweet and rich. Not very green or sharp in itself. Any sharpness in the scent is from the saffron. Slightly earthy = patchouli.

Saffron and sandalwood are very noticeable and provide an addictive sweetness, not gourmand.
If you’ve tried Shalini Jardin Nocturne, this has that sort of feel.

Not sure what Shamamah smells like but there is something a tiny big pungent and resinous (like a traditionally done Cambodi oud), not off putting at all. Just forming the backbone to the scent.

Lots of sandalwood, gives it that nice oomph of woodiness.
After a short while I’m picking up some spices, the faintest of mango pickle notes. Perhaps this is what the oriental amber resin is.

A little bit later I’m picking up smoke. Also something along the lines of myrrh and frankincense - something a little bit menthol and cool.

Blending, as mentioned by another member, is different to that of the other artisans who offer sprays. Ensar’s blending for Tibetan Musk was different to the previous EO parfums, and much smoother. Ward falls into this category.

The notes do mention musk, not something I’m picking with ease. To be honest, given everything else that is going on in the scent, it’s difficult to know what I’m looking for (I’ve got Siberian musk in sandalwood, and Tibetan musk grains as a reference).

This developed quite quick on my skin. Starts off very bright, and energetic. Transitions to a darker, spicier scent.
Quite a complex scent, but not challenging. By the time I’m at the drydown I totally get what Al Shareef meant by saying that you wouldn’t describe this as a rose scent.
It’s very nice, and I’m not disappointed with the blind buy.
Haven’t given it a full wearing yet so can’t comment much on performance, aside from that it does sit quite close to the skin (based off a spritz on my hand).

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Thank you thank you :)

Seems that first 2 are pretty good perfumes in themselves.

Who can chip in to the smell of Jasmin?

bigbloke

Aug 17, 2013
Will do Jasmine tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Jasmine

Opens with a fresh, slightly green Jasmine, a little sweet.
A grassy note pops up for a bit.
Saffron, sandalwood and orris give it a classy, rich, expensive feel.
This is not a jasmine soliflore.

As the scent develops the jasmine becomes a little bit more dominant. The Jasmine is not indolic or overly sweet. It is not sickly either.

The mid/drydown is where this really shines. Picking up quite a bit of sandalwood, and it’s a really nice blend with the orris and jasmine. Comes across a little dry, buttery if that makes sense. The greener element of the jasmine works very well here.

For my tastes, at this point I do prefer Jasmine more than Ward. It’s very nice.

I’m anticipating the perfumes to become more powerful over time, as has been the case with every other artisan, as naturals are being used.

These are early thoughts. So far neither Ward or Jasmine have been challenging. Both are easy to like. I will revisit both after a couple of months to see how they have developed.

Last edited:

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
I got my pack and wore Ward earlier.
According to press release - we might not have said its rose perfume if he didnt tell us. I disagree with that.
It is a very delicate, high quality rose. Rose is red, and when you inhale it, its so soft as if you are touching a petal with your fingers. Very very nice.
This rose is overplayed with sandalwood that to me is infused with hoojari frankincense. Very fresh, sparkly and green.
The total effect of these 2 or 3 elements make me want to think of pink lemony taif rose.
Shamama saffron and patchouli i dont detect.
Deep into dry down, musk appears, its lightly animalic, but nothing scary.
Projection is not big, its more apparent in firat hour or 2, but then quiets down.
Materials are very natural.
Style wise - it reminded me of Agarwood assam. They had a rose sandalwood frankincense attar that i thought of, but theirs had bigger presence of Frankincense, which made perfume sharper. Another perfume family i can link this one to is Triad by Bortnikoff. His, once again, is a bit sharper due to oud, and more wattery.

Ishraaq - ishrag is strong in smell and projection from the start to finish.
I right away linked it to a combo of Cola by hendley and Agar de noir by Areej, with leather from Cuir oud padishah.
It starts with dry spices, very light sweetness accompany them as if it was honey. Soon after a bit of cedar and malaysian oud (modhesh like with slight swampiness) join party, make it even more intense and woody. Leather follows the suit.
As it goes into drydown, it becomes more sweet, but never as sweet as AdN.
I dont get any flowers, animalics are not in your face, but must be there to add depth and texture.
Very nice as well, style wise once again is similar to areej(his oriental frags). Evokes feeling of spice markets in the markets of the days long gone.
Cant say wright now its worth the premium over what areej offers.

Jasmin will wear tomorrow as Ishraaq is everpresent and attention demanding. Blocks other perfumes from shining.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Jasmine is not to my liking. To me it is similar to Rising mysore, but like extrait. Very very strong. Leather note there is something like coriander and cedar, so comes off a little harsh to me.
Initial few seconds are good, its nice jasmine, but then perfume transforms and is really masculine smelling frag.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Anyone try their Attars? I’m looking at Hekayat and Al Ghaliyah II. Would the style of his Attars be more similar to Ensar or Agar Aura style, or completely different than both?

Balushi

Apr 19, 2020
Anyone try their Attars? I’m looking at Hekayat and Al Ghaliyah II. Would the style of his Attars be more similar to Ensar or Agar Aura style, or completely different than both?

I have tried Hekayat, it is basically a Siberian Musk/Mysore Sandalwood maceration. But very well done, almost a reference for me for musk/sandalwood macerations. I get what is exactly described in the website.

mixerscent

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 9, 2013

Samarqand is stunning with rose, oudh, myrrh and musk. It's so beautifully blended and the quality of materials is undeniable as to be expected from Al Shareef.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Ok thanks! I prefer my Attars a little rough around the edges...blending wise. Sounds like these wouldn’t be it. They sound great nonetheless.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Samarquand to me is like a milky and nutty bakhlava. It is even that color in itself, sandy and muddy. It is moderately sweet and nutty for the first 2 hours, and after that stage oud starts to really poke out. And unfortunately for me oud gets way too strong ( it opens like dark wood with cedar and a bit swampy) and kills the composition for me. If he kranked that down, would be awesome otherwise.

Al lays is another one i tried and that one is very nice. Like wood, dates, sweetness, a touch of saffron, amber. Hard to dissect, but it doesnt need it to be honest, its a beautiful attar as it is. Very long lasting and projecting.

strifeknot

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 28, 2008
Luckyscent is now carrying the parfum sprays. They're all outstanding, with Ward probably being my favorite.

HabibiGotIt

Apr 9, 2020
I have tried Hekayat, it is basically a Siberian Musk/Mysore Sandalwood maceration. But very well done, almost a reference for me for musk/sandalwood macerations. I get what is exactly described in the website.

Hi, I have been itching to pull the trigger on Hekayat since it was released. I was never impressed with the samples of Ensar's sandalwood/musk attars that I tried and Hekayat's description really jumped off the page for me.

You said that this is almost a reference material for you. Would you wear it neat? Does it have decent longevity? My own attempts at macerating Siberian musk in sandalwood (almost two years old now) have yielded a wonderful, leathery and furry oil, but the longevity and sillage were unexpectedly very weak. Obviously Shareef is using materials that are miles beyond mine and is also aware of blending techniques used by masters, so hopefully this isn't an issue with Hekayat. Would love to hear your input.

Balushi

Apr 19, 2020
Hi, I have been itching to pull the trigger on Hekayat since it was released. I was never impressed with the samples of Ensar's sandalwood/musk attars that I tried and Hekayat's description really jumped off the page for me.

You said that this is almost a reference material for you. Would you wear it neat? Does it have decent longevity? My own attempts at macerating Siberian musk in sandalwood (almost two years old now) have yielded a wonderful, leathery and furry oil, but the longevity and sillage were unexpectedly very weak. Obviously Shareef is using materials that are miles beyond mine and is also aware of blending techniques used by masters, so hopefully this isn't an issue with Hekayat. Would love to hear your input.

Hi there,

Yes I would wear it neat. It does not feel animalic, spicy or leathery, but sweet, chocolatey, slightly furry with pear like fruity note. My own macerations are much more animalic. I don't know if you have tried his sandalwood but it is used here and it is one of the best that I have experienced. The longevity was just okay though.

Latest News