aggarwoodassam/dixit&zak

Chet_Karim

Basenotes Member
Sep 8, 2020
Just ordered it. At least it will be an easy flip with the hype and presumed (cough) limited stock. I dunno. I was really turned off by Oud Rosa. Hopefully this is more in line with my tastes.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Wore it again for the whole day, this time it was cool and humid, and there were 2 main changes from the 1st time.
Start had similar start to manly, but now for a very brief moment. From there on - big blast of blackcurrant emerges and stays for about 1-2 hours. This stage reminded me of Iris Ghaliya by ensar, albeit no tea note. This is 1st big change.
2nd one is oud. Oud started to show its butt. From time to time i get fart like whiffs that start from middle of fragrance life, and gets more intense towards drydown. Somewhat similar to our rosa. Cant say i am happy about it, because i thought that this frag will try and stay clean.
More testing required.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Wore it again for the whole day, this time it was cool and humid, and there were 2 main changes from the 1st time.
Start had similar start to manly, but now for a very brief moment. From there on - big blast of blackcurrant emerges and stays for about 1-2 hours. This stage reminded me of Iris Ghaliya by ensar, albeit no tea note. This is 1st big change.
2nd one is oud. Oud started to show its butt. From time to time i get fart like whiffs that start from middle of fragrance life, and gets more intense towards drydown. Somewhat similar to our rosa. Cant say i am happy about it, because i thought that this frag will try and stay clean.
More testing required.
I’m surprised on two things. One is that you thought this would be a clean fragrance when the Hindi Oud is front and center. And two that you don’t smell tobacco at all. If you’ve smelled the raw, oriental tobacco they use in this it’s clear as day. It’s slightly Smokey, brown and touch herbal and it’s blended seemlessly into the Oud.

You don’t smell the ambergris either or notice the textural quality it presents? It’s like a fluffy textural aspect that binds to the blackcurrant and rose.

I wish I got ANY resemblance to Iris Ghalia but I’m actually glad it smells like smoked, musky tobacco leaf instead of Iris.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
I’m surprised on two things. One is that you thought this would be a clean fragrance when the Hindi Oud is front and center. And two that you don’t smell tobacco at all. If you’ve smelled the raw, oriental tobacco they use in this it’s clear as day. It’s slightly Smokey, brown and touch herbal and it’s blended seemlessly into the Oud.

You don’t smell the ambergris either or notice the textural quality it presents? It’s like a fluffy textural aspect that binds to the blackcurrant and rose.

I wish I got ANY resemblance to Iris Ghalia but I’m actually glad it smells like smoked, musky tobacco leaf instead of Iris.
Hindi oud doesnt always = shit. Cant a man not judge and get into a fragrance open minded with making a conclusion as he lives with a frag?
I do smell tobacco, and i have purchased a few cigars specifically to understand some varieties and differences as i mentioned in the first post of mine - there is tobacco, with its honeyed tone, but what i was specifically pointing out with my 2nd post, is that blackcurrant emerged which wasnt there during the 1st wear, and ouds butt. Now watch what you said" its blended seamlessly into oud" which means that one is blended into other as not to be able to differentiate, or to create a new separate tone. Isnt that a bit contradictory that i need to clearly smell it and it is a seamless blend into oud? Make up ur mind boy.
I wasnt concentrating on ambergris, but i will look for it next time i wear it. I can attest that perfume is very smooth from start to finish, but to say that i sense ambergris here like i smell it in Spell 125 would be a lie.
To reiterate, first wear was warm and dry, 2nd wear was cool and humid weather. Pointed out what opened on my skin.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Hindi oud doesnt always = shit. Cant a man not judge and get into a fragrance open minded with making a conclusion as he lives with a frag?
I do smell tobacco, and i have purchased a few cigars specifically to understand some varieties and differences as i mentioned in the first post of mine - there is tobacco, with its honeyed tone, but what i was specifically pointing out with my 2nd post, is that blackcurrant emerged which wasnt there during the 1st wear, and ouds butt. Now watch what you said" its blended seamlessly into oud" which means that one is blended into other as not to be able to differentiate, or to create a new separate tone. Isnt that a bit contradictory that i need to clearly smell it and it is a seamless blend into oud? Make up ur mind boy.
I wasnt concentrating on ambergris, but i will look for it next time i wear it. I can attest that perfume is very smooth from start to finish, but to say that i sense ambergris here like i smell it in Spell 125 would be a lie.
To reiterate, first wear was warm and dry, 2nd wear was cool and humid weather. Pointed out what opened on my skin.
A material can be blended into something which still allows the materials to be experience and identified. There’s no “make up your mind boy” to be had here.

Sure your experience is yours and yours only. I’m simply asking questions since you have such strong opinions on this. I thought we’re having a discussion right? Am I not allowed to ask for clarification!?

The clean aspect is what gets me though because Ahom Oud is known for using it’s intense traditional Hind oils with Dixit and Zak. They made sure to let everyone know with this release to expect a return to the primal, rawness and boldness of Tripura King which forms the basis of the fragrance. I guess I assumed you looked into this the same way I did so I apologize for that. I also think and assume that most people who form hard opinions when they review that there’s some level of understanding when it comes to naturals being blended and knowing what those effects smell like. Once again I apologize for assuming that.

RC.

Apr 28, 2013
Sorry, I'm late to party here, but D&Z or Agarwood Assam or Ahom Oud is back on Etsy? I can't find any of them. Can someone send a link?

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
A material can be blended into something which still allows the materials to be experience and identified. There’s no “make up your mind boy” to be had here.

Sure your experience is yours and yours only. I’m simply asking questions since you have such strong opinions on this. I thought we’re having a discussion right? Am I not allowed to ask for clarification!?

The clean aspect is what gets me though because Ahom Oud is known for using it’s intense traditional Hind oils with Dixit and Zak. They made sure to let everyone know with this release to expect a return to the primal, rawness and boldness of Tripura King which forms the basis of the fragrance. I guess I assumed you looked into this the same way I did so I apologize for that. I also think and assume that most people who form hard opinions when they review that there’s some level of understanding when it comes to naturals being blended and knowing what those effects smell like. Once again I apologize for assuming that.
There is the thing that i observed about you more than once, and that i am not fond of: assumption and correction afterwards with apologies. Just read a post a few times and make sure you understand it corectly.

Lets go from bottom to the top:
1st post i mentioned what i mentioned with final sentense: "1 spray only. 2-3 sprays might show different side". My 2nd wearing i did exactly that, and i added my observations(updates). First time it was indeed clean, but i still did sense oud, which in fact was a dominating note. 2nd wearing - ass stuck out. It is what it is. Never it was a hard opinion from me with just 1 spray.
Regarding write ups - i read them, but i dont necessary believe them. Emperor hind is also "primal and raw" per their description, but to me it was super nice almost examplery case of eastern perfumery. It had musk and oud to it, but no farty tones. If i believed everything thats written on the web, especially by business, i would be either broke or a slave working my debts off. Best example is ensars write ups. Reading them i can almost start believing in otherworldly nature of his perfumes, alas they never live up to the hype. And because of lessons like that i formed my expectations and always utilize critical thinking. (Not accusing anyone, just talking about myself)
Back to "seamless" and us having a conversation, yes, lets have a conversation but lets also try our best to communicate clearly. That is what i am trying to do with each of my post, without assumptions. To me seamless and smell each note clearly is counterstatement. Another difference between you and me from what i observed, and more so in the case of Hindi Tabac, is i am not as emotional, or easy to influence as you. Read your post on IG that utilizes words like "excited" "speechless" etc., And mine, just stating what i smelled of my skin.
Lets have a conversation, but lets both do our best communicating.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
Ah Hindi Tabac is arriving tomorrow. I’m very excited for this one! I’ve been waiting for a while, release after release for a banger. Maybe this will be the one.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
Hindi Tabac has arrived. I've only had it on for 10 minutes and it'll honestly take me many full wearings to full understand and appreciate this scent.
However, with my limited exposure to it, I can easily recommend Dixit & Zak fans to add this one to their collection. I don't think you need a backup of it but you'll want this scent in your collection. I think it's at least as good as ghaliyah hind which is some real honest praise.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Hindi Tabac has arrived. I've only had it on for 10 minutes and it'll honestly take me many full wearings to full understand and appreciate this scent.
However, with my limited exposure to it, I can easily recommend Dixit & Zak fans to add this one to their collection. I don't think you need a backup of it but you'll want this scent in your collection. I think it's at least as good as ghaliyah hind which is some real honest praise.

Not jumping for joy and love at first sniff? :ROFLMAO:😂😆

strifeknot

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 28, 2008
Hindi Tabac...LOTS of oud, more than I was expecting, but very little tobacco. Would like more tobacco, but still appreciate it for what it is. The blackcurrant, vanilla, and other supporting notes weave in and out to keep the woods from being too linear. It's a keeper.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
IMG-5725.jpg

This Hindi Tabac is dated 5/22. I'm guessing this is the bottling date, not the date that the fragrance oil was created. Still, this juice is probably pretty young and will benefit quite a bit from aging.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
I have a number of attars from ahom oud which haven’t been touched yet as I’m ageing them
I think perfumes and attars age better after some exposure to air. As in - spraying a perfume or opening up an attar bottle will introduce more air which will oxidize the ingredients and she then. I think.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
from my talks with perfumers and attar makers this isn’t entirely accurate.

It ageing unopened is the best way as per the creator
K. I think those experts advised you better than I could. I’ve always kept my backups unsprayed and it looks like there the best route then.

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
Unless artisans have negative pressure chambers and tanks of nitrogen sitting around when bottling; spraying or not spraying will make zero difference, as there’s already oxygen in the bottle.

The only true difference is when the amount of headspace significantly increases; say, a low partial bottle, or keeping a bottle on its side.

May 7, 2018
As many have reported over the years (based on their own real, personal, experience), on this site and elsewhere, there is an appreciable difference in a perfume when first sprayed and over the next few weeks. Perfumes do “open up” as a little more air gets in the bottle. The degree of difference can sometimes be small, but sometimes it is significant. In any case, the difference is not “zero.”

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
As many have reported over the years (based on their own real, personal, experience), on this site and elsewhere, there is an appreciable difference in a perfume when first sprayed and over the next few weeks. Perfumes do “open up” as a little more air gets in the bottle. The degree of difference can sometimes be small, but sometimes it is significant. In any case, the difference is not “zero.”
@High Barnet quote broke:(

Most of this matter of perceptions changing more so then any chemistry element

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
If you can point me to the science I’ll believe it, but I think it has more to do with perceptions and settling from travel/“bottle shock” more so than an introduction of slightly more air from one or two sprays.

There’s already air in every bottle. Tilt a new bottle upside down and you’ll see an air bubble. If you want a similar effect, I suppose you could simply shake up the bottle.

I do think there’s something to be said for long term aging, though. Look up micro-oxidation in wine and things will start to make sense.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
If you can point me to the science I’ll believe it, but I think it has more to do with perceptions and settling from travel/“bottle shock” more so than an introduction or slightly more air from one or two sprays.

One of the issues of fragcom there’s a lot of pesudo science and myths that get stated a lot and cause of it ppl take it as truth

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
In my opinion, based on my vintage (but also artisanal) collection, only decades of oxidation —or oil's condensation if you will, with the degradation of several top and mid notes as a result— can do something certainly perceptible in terms of the global profile of a scent.

Once the blend has matured for +/- 1-2 months by the perfumer and the ingredients become a perfume so to speak, the real difference over-the-weeks that you will notice will take place in your nose and brain, not in the composition. And even after the years, that change is mostly a matter of degradation.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
In my opinion, based on my vintage (but also artisanal) collection, only decades of oxidation —or oil's condensation if you will, with the degradation of several top and mid notes as a result— can do something certainly perceptible in terms of the global profile of a scent.

Once the blend has matured for +/- 1-2 months by the perfumer and the ingredients become a perfume so to speak, the real difference over-the-weeks that you will notice will take place in your nose and brain, not in the composition. And even after the years, that change is mostly a matter of degradation.
Very true , this also makes me want to touch on the misusage of the term maceration that I see about here and there the perfume has already sat about for months prior to bottling and sale for it to be ready doing so for longer won’t really change anything .

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
You guys do to fragcom with this truth, what older siblings do to the younger when they break the news about Santa not being real 😄 Keep some magic of maceration and fairytales in the game 😉

Sipy63

Jan 23, 2019
I don't know guys.
At least after initial impressions today I'm immediately enjoying this more than aquilaria blossom. Musky, sweet from the rose, chewy cigar tobacco. A sense of earthiness. Makes me thinking of working on our farm, piling hay with some animals in the distance.
Fun release.

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
I don't know guys.
At least after initial impressions today I'm immediately enjoying this more than aquilaria blossom. Musky, sweet from the rose, chewy cigar tobacco. A sense of earthiness. Makes me thinking of working on our farm, piling hay with some animals in the distance.
Fun release.
I actually have multiple tabs open and thought I was still in the Areej thread. I'm wearing Hindi Tabac tonight and was sniffing my arm at the exact moment that I read your comment. And I immediately thought to myself, "That perfectly describes the Dixit I'm smelling right now, not the new Areej..." :D

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
I actually have multiple tabs open and thought I was still in the Areej thread. I'm wearing Hindi Tabac tonight and was sniffing my arm at the exact moment that I read your comment. And I immediately thought to myself, "That perfectly describes the Dixit I'm smelling right now, not the new Areej..." :D
I think that chewy tobacco quality is what caught me off guard. I noticed that the sillage/projection seems to create this Smokey tobacco aura more than anything and it’s just comforting but strangely jarring. Like it’s an intense fragrance and quite brooding for my tastes.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
I don’t think this is a backup bottle experience either. It’s just a good solid release and something that’s been missing from the line for awhile now.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I have yet to get my nose on any "tabac" fragrances that accurately portray real tobacco scents, this new Hindi Tabac is no exception.

While it smells good and definitely seems like it has very high-quality ingredients in it, even with a bit of EO vibe as Castingshadow pointed out, it still completely misses the mark on tobacco aroma IMO.

Good scent profile, overall it's far better than Emperor's court and Santal Oud, if you could associate any tobacco with it....good for you, but to me.....Tobacco it is not.

Latest News