aggarwoodassam/dixit&zak

May 7, 2018
Looks like a few more were found. 9 left when I just ordered on Etsy. Anyway, all the best to this thread! Thanks to all. I haven’t missed a release since I found it. (Including Brindaban Prive, thanks to Stifeknot’s tip.)

Also, thanks to another great Basenoter, I got a great deal on a bottle of Lucky Santal, and it has really really grown on me. Honey Oud. I love it.

Looking forward to Hindi Tabac. All the talk about the dire state of modern perfumery - this is a golden age.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Like muskier than PRIN's Onthamara?
I’d say they use a similar amount of musk ketones for sure. Onthamara uses real deer musk boosted with nitro musks and musk ketones but Hindi tabac doesn’t have real deer musk to my knowledge. Instead the civet, ambergris and whatever else is in there makes up a pretty intense musk cocktail that’s more on the vintage side of musky verse like Ensar’s musky if that makes sense. Not to mention the Hindi Oud is pretty intense too but blended well. This leans old school/vintage in how the musk performs. It’s not powdery like Cuir de Russie but it is similar to Prin’s use of musks.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
I like how Etsy was about to run out of stock on Hindi Tabac and that stock just got refilled. This is a nice trick to encourage FOMO. If I recall correctly, Brandon from Therapeutic Fragrance caught them doing this in one of those first releases, expressed his disapproval for this manipulation and docked them points in their score for it.

D&Z have been trying to stir up FOMO pressure on their Instagram advertisement campaigns the last couple releases so this tactic doesn’t really surprise me. Not very happy about it considering their stock manipulation literally pressured me into buying a bottle right then and there just to see the stock refill afterwards. I would’ve bought a bottle anyways but being fooled into a false sense of FOMO doesn’t give me good feelings about the brand.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
I like how Etsy was about to run out of stock on Hindi Tabac and that stock just got refilled. This is a nice trick to encourage FOMO. If I recall correctly, Brandon from Therapeutic Fragrance caught them doing this in one of those first releases, expressed his disapproval for this manipulation and docked them points in their score for it.

D&Z have been trying to stir up FOMO pressure on their Instagram advertisement campaigns the last couple releases so this tactic doesn’t really surprise me. Not very happy about it considering their stock manipulation literally pressured me into buying a bottle right then and there just to see the stock refill afterwards. I would’ve bought a bottle anyways but being fooled into a false sense of FOMO doesn’t give me good feelings about the brand.
I think you’re reading too into it. I’d imagine they expected the stock to mostly sell through Sikander and using and pulling from that stock as well. They didn’t do anything to pressure you. You pressured yourself and now you’re frustrated with them. It’s not fair to put that on them. It’s not like they made any posts that said “limited stock thru Etsy and Etsy only” nowhere did that happen.

It’s a good business practice to sell your product and have enough to fulfill demands. I don’t think these perfumers think about the stock inventory the way we do on here where we meticulously check what’s available in order to keep ourselves from missing out.

No one accused Russian Adam of doing the EXACT same thing with Aquilaria Blossom. No one accused him of manipulating his fan base.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
No one accused Russian Adam of doing the EXACT same thing with Aquilaria Blossom. No one accused him of manipulating his fan base.
Russian Adam added maybe 30-50 bottles to inventory when it was down to 100 bottles or so. He didn’t wait until the stock dropped to 3 bottles remaining and refill it back to 10 like zak did. I bet Zak has way more than 10 bottles available to sell, he’ll just keep waiting for it to drop super low and refill it. This is to create FOMO pressure dude. You know it is.

Therapeutic fragrance literally called him out on the same practice years ago.

Attachments

• 2547CE4A-8456-4BBD-B1C6-1D5F43E048E4.jpeg
    2547CE4A-8456-4BBD-B1C6-1D5F43E048E4.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 25

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019

I think you’re reading too into it. I’d imagine they expected the stock to mostly sell through Sikander and using and pulling from that stock as well. They didn’t do anything to pressure you. You pressured yourself and now you’re frustrated with them. It’s not fair to put that on them. It’s not like they made any posts that said “limited stock thru Etsy and Etsy only” nowhere did that happen.

It’s a good business practice to sell your product and have enough to fulfill demands. I don’t think these perfumers think about the stock inventory the way we do on here where we meticulously check what’s available in order to keep ourselves from missing out.

Was just going to say…Areej did this just last week.

I will say, I think it’s better to be transparent about how many bottles of a given fragrance exist…especially in this world of artisan small batch perfumery.

I don’t know why I care about 291 bottles of Santal Galore, or what have you…but I do lol.

I don’t care if creed decides to bottle 20 limited edition extra-cetelox dosed aventuses… not sure if this is a healthy thought process or not though….it begs the question…why do we care? Some food for thought I suppose..

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
I don’t care if creed decides to bottle 20 limited edition extra-cetelox dosed aventuses… not sure if this is a healthy thought process or not though….it begs the question…why do we care? Some food for thought I suppose..
People like to Feel special about there fragrance being exclusive, see the musc gardenia event :ROFLMAO: ,in my opinion it doesn't really matter how many bottles there are

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
Was just going to say…Areej did this just last week.
RA didn’t wait till his stock dropped down to 3 bottles and refilled it to 10. Big difference there and I bet Zak’s Etsy store will have many more cycles of bottles dropping to 3 and refilling to 10 or so. It’s different, you know it is ;)

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
RA didn’t wait till his stock dropped down to 3 bottles and refilled it to 10. Big difference there and I bet Zak’s Etsy store will have many more cycles of bottles dropping to 3 and refilling to 10 or so. It’s different, you know it is ;)
It’s not any different. Like I said I think you’re reading to into this. Dixit and Zak truly doesn’t care about hype. They’re trying to make their fragrances more available through different outlets. Remember when everyone complained that Etsy wasn’t around anymore? Here they go opening the Etsy store again and now people are upset that they assumed the stock available thru Etsy is the ONLY stock available. It doesn’t make sense that you would think that number on Etsy means that’s the totality of the release.

That’s why I don’t see any difference here. It would be one thing if they said “hey guys bottles running low only 3 left get it while you can” and THEN adding more. But no that didn’t happen. So it’s hard for me to see that this is some elaborate scheme to get basenoters to feel fomo to buy their release. I’ll ask Zak right now how many bottles are available and if they in fact sell more after the fact I think then and only then can we say “these guys are manipulating us”.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
Just spoke with Zak. He says 10 full bottles are available via Etsy. 20 with Luckyscent and 40 thru Sikander.

I really don’t see what the problem is here.
Sounds good. Thanks for checking in with him. I’ll take him at his word then that he’s not pulling a simulated low inventory trick to stir up FOMO.

cpatrick44

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 7, 2020
Went with jungle rain and half tola encens zen my self
Keep us posted on jungle rain, will you? Been waiting on Zak to do a mitti attar, but I'm trying to wait it out so that I can bundle with a future order and save on shipping. If it's great, might have to jump on it earlier. You mind sharing what it costs?

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Keep us posted on jungle rain, will you? Been waiting on Zak to do a mitti attar, but I'm trying to wait it out so that I can bundle with a future order and save on shipping. If it's great, might have to jump on it earlier. You mind sharing what it costs?
off the top off my head 95 dollars , will be ordering in a week or so so it will be awhile before feedback

Dr B1414

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 21, 2019
Sikander is the only one who has this current And note very small run of attars from Zak
I see. I'll be waiting for your feedback on it. I was thinking of getting some, but I already got Hindi Tabac through Zak and he didn't have any Jungle Rain. For now, I won't place another order with Sikander. I just hope Hindi Tabac won't be a flop and that it traces down to their older style.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
I see. I'll be waiting for your feedback on it. I was thinking of getting some, but I already got Hindi Tabac through Zak and he didn't have any Jungle Rain. For now, I won't place another order with Sikander. I just hope Hindi Tabac won't be a flop and that it traces down to their older style.
Looking at the current feedback seems like it’s a hit 🙏 can’t wait for mine but that won’t be for a week or 2.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Ordered one from Sikander to see what the hype is about. hopefully it's nothing like the Tabac Dore garbage from Bortnikoff!!

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Set your expectations low with Hindi Tabac. Got my bottle in today and its nice but to me it acts more like an attar. Main players are amber and oud, making this perfume somewhat sweet, but less sweet than AB by Areej. There is tobacco and a gentle honey like note which is present in real tobacco, which is great, but it is a little muted by oud and amber. Top has an opening similar to Manly, but more gentle, which i dont mind. It is a dark perfume with only heavy notes, and if anyone bought their Rose loban, you could draw some paralels between them density wise, and darkness of the profile. No animalics, nothing repulsive. Somewhat reminds me of suede, dark brown oudy suede.
I think it is good, but not something i will be ordering a backup of.
This is just 1 spray, so maybe it will open up more if sprayed 2-3 times, but i dont have skin for that at the moment.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
Mak, how do you think it compares to the other D&Z releases that you've tried? Do you think it belongs in the hall of greats along with Ghaliyah Hind and Emperor Hind or is it more in line with their recent releases like RM3, YLT, Santal Oud, Nightingale, and Oud Rosa?

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
I’m not sure how you can compare this to Rose Loban or even mention Aquilaria Blossom as a gauge to the scent but I often don’t agree with your assessments either so I’ll have to take it as we have completely different noses and experience perfumes differently. I didn’t realize Manly had a citrusy black currant opening either. I guess I’ll have to pick that one up then because I love black currant.
Set your expectations low with Hindi Tabac. Got my bottle in today and its nice but to me it acts more like an attar. Main players are amber and oud, making this perfume somewhat sweet, but less sweet than AB by Areej. There is tobacco and a gentle honey like note which is present in real tobacco, which is great, but it is a little muted by oud and amber. Top has an opening similar to Manly, but more gentle, which i dont mind. It is a dark perfume with only heavy notes, and if anyone bought their Rose loban, you could draw some paralels between them density wise, and darkness of the profile. No animalics, nothing repulsive. Somewhat reminds me of suede, dark brown oudy suede.
I think it is good, but not something i will be ordering a backup of.
This is just 1 spray, so maybe it will open up more if sprayed 2-3 times, but i dont have skin for that at the moment.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Mak, how do you think it compares to the other D&Z releases that you've tried? Do you think it belongs in the hall of greats along with Ghaliyah Hind and Emperor Hind or is it more in line with their recent releases like RM3, YLT, Santal Oud, Nightingale, and Oud Rosa?
In order of best to good:
Emperor hind
Poseidon
ghaliyah reflection
Ghaliyah hind
Oud rosa
Emperors court
Hindi tabac
Rm3
Rm2
Ylt
Rm1
Kashmir nuit and the likes

It is somewhere in between the legends and regulars, but i would say that EO1 is better composition. Just personal opinion

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
I’m not sure how you can compare this to Rose Loban or even mention Aquilaria Blossom as a gauge to the scent but I often don’t agree with your assessments either so I’ll have to take it as we have completely different noses and experience perfumes differently. I didn’t realize Manly had a citrusy black currant opening either. I guess I’ll have to pick that one up then because I love black currant.
I can mention them based on a specific parameter. There is a gap between what i want to communicate and how you understand it.
Comparing to rose loban based on that amber note that he used in RL and not the scent profile (although to me they are kind of related). This amber note they used here, rose loban, composition from ramadan pack and one more, but i forgot the name of it. It is that semi greasy(like heavy machinery lube) rubbery amber that is used as a gap sealer. It is somewhat (not exactly but remotely) similar to overall effect Homme by Xerjoff gives.
As far as sweetnes - i dont talk about how notes smell, but how sweet AB is. If lets say pink sugar is ultimately sweet 100%, rojas sweetie aoud is less sweet 75%, AB is 50% sweet, then hindi tabac is 25%. What i am saying is it is is less sweet overall than AB. I dont know how to explain otherwise, because to me thats pretty straightforward.
Manly doesnt have blackcurrant, no, but it has this brown molasses like (others perceive it as raisins i guess) start that i find simmilar in HT. Also, combination of oud and tabac and other notes out of which blackcurrant, depending on percentage, can create accord that will be simmilar to the booze, raisins, molasses, or other substances. Molasses is made out of beats, sugar cane, even apples. It might have small difference in taste, but overall it will be simmilar. Why cant same thing happen in perfumery?

Latest News