aggarwoodassam/dixit&zak

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
I held my breath as I opened my package containing a backup bottle of GH. Luckily, it was in one piece with its contents intact.

So sorry for everyone who got compromised bottles :(

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
Thanks, everyone. It is not the first time I receive artisan small-batch stuff with considerable leakage, and I suspect it will happen again. For me the leakage itself is no big deal (after the initial 10 minutes of BUMMER), everything comes down to how the issue is handled. I've had positive experiences so far, hope this will be another!

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
Been pondering on Kashmir Nuit has it aged well? Also, has the performance gotten better? I was concerned when multiple sites didn't give it a positive vibe as hearing 30 minutes of a beautiful blend evaporated were words that scared me off.

I haven't worn Kashmir Nuit for a good long while (until yesterday and today), and tbo, I think it's a situational fragrance best suited for windy days in fall. It's good but not $280/30ml good imho. I think it should have probably been priced around $180. It's a pretty unique scent that really does shine in the right environment. Performance is good - I'm serious; I have no idea what people are talking about when they say it doesn't perform. Maybe they're going anosmic to it or something but I can assure you that it does perform pretty well; certainly better than many of the latest Ensar releases. Performance did improve with age but I already noticed a substantial performance improvement several months after it's release.

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
I haven't worn Kashmir Nuit for a good long while (until yesterday and today), and tbo, I think it's a situational fragrance best suited for windy days in fall. It's good but not $280/30ml good imho. I think it should have probably been priced around $180. It's a pretty unique scent that really does shine in the right environment. Performance is good - I'm serious; I have no idea what people are talking about when they say it doesn't perform. Maybe they're going anosmic to it or something but I can assure you that it does perform pretty well; certainly better than many of the latest Ensar releases. Performance did improve with age but I already noticed a substantial performance improvement several months after it's release.

Thank you for such a descriptive view with fall creeping up fast it will be on my hit list.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Ghaliayh reflection is a beautiful frag, i think better than the hind. Rose and saffron here are properly good and composition can surely rival the Emperor Hind.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
Ghaliayh reflection is a beautiful frag, i think better than the hind. Rose and saffron here are properly good and composition can surely rival the Emperor Hind.

Do you have a bottle or sample of Emperor Hind? Curious because neither of those come anywhere near rivaling it.

Also, this happens to be a matter of opinion but I prefer Ghaliya Hind over reflection for its more complex and dynamic composition for. Start to finish. Reflection has a really nice opening but feels flat in the drydown.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Do you have a bottle or sample of Emperor Hind? Curious because neither of those come anywhere near rivaling it.

Also, this happens to be a matter of opinion but I prefer Ghaliya Hind over reflection for its more complex and dynamic composition for. Start to finish. Reflection has a really nice opening but feels flat in the drydown.

I am owner of the bottle.
Leather in hind reminds me of a leather in Cuir oud Padishah, and that not the leather i particularly enjoy now.
But i am a big fan of rose, and alongside with oud, civet, spices it created great image. Hind is great as well, but its main focus is oud and animalics, with support from champaka.
Also i dont necessary detect anything majorly synthetic in reflection, so i really like that.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Got my 2nd backup from Splash, luckily no leak this time, wheew! Ghaliyah Hind is fire.....this has now become my main driver while i use EO stuff a lot more sparingly. $3/ml the value to scent quality ratio is very hard to beat.

Feb 2, 2016
Ghaliya Hind is really good!! IMO it is better than GR. I find more oud in GH and it has a more leathery, slight barnyard feel to it. The castoreum really takes over in the dry down combined with the hindi oud. The opening is smoother than GR but as it dries down, it becomes darker and better. I prefer this over GR !

oudaddict

Feb 2, 2017
Ghaliya Hind is really good!! IMO it is better than GR. I find more oud in GH and it has a more leathery, slight barnyard feel to it. The castoreum really takes over in the dry down combined with the hindi oud. The opening is smoother than GR but as it dries down, it becomes darker and better. I prefer this over GR !

I agree with this +1

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
Ghaliya Hind is really good!! IMO it is better than GR /.../

I agree with this +1

Wearing this today, and I too agree! What killed Reflection for me was the pungent civet/oud opening, together with the big synthetic musk(s?). Hind has a balanced, smooth rose/oud feel in the opening, and is much more natural smelling to me throughout. Very happy that D&Z decided to release another take on this theme.

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
Kashmir Nuit is unbelievable now. Love it.

Please do tell us more! I had a bottle but my impatience prompted me to sell it, due to the exceptionally bad performance. From what I remember back then, it had a nice floral profile with a rubbery oud and some cardamom that made me think of Mysterious Oud. What do you get from it now?

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Please do tell us more! I had a bottle but my impatience prompted me to sell it, due to the exceptionally bad performance. From what I remember back then, it had a nice floral profile with a rubbery oud and some cardamom that made me think of Mysterious Oud. What do you get from it now?

Not far off of what you describe but now the florals intertwine beautifully with the pandan and last for 3-5 hours. My favorite thing is how pronounced the musk is, keeping the long drydown softer than the initial Oud rubber scent(it is still there but now it’s considerably softer with musk)

Feb 2, 2016
They haven’t closed the brand or anything. He just needed to straighten things up and that’s it. I got my box shipped directly from Dixit and zak so maybe they already figured out their new shipping and distribution methods. The rumor of Brindaban 2 has been around for some time and Zak has confirmed it multiple times on the IG comments. He said it’s in the lab and that it will be released December maybe. We will definitely see more amazing releases from the house, so just keep your eyes open !!

oudaddict

Feb 2, 2017
Good watch on YouTube: Ghaliya Hind review by castingshadows.

That stuff is so good but yea, I do go nose blind to it pretty quick.

https://youtu.be/HVLXjioVlM4

Can’t believe he’s working off a decant…. Somebody, sell this guy a backup bottle of it.

Spot on review, that D&Z DNA is apparent throughout, it might be the quintessential Indian fragrance. I don't go anosmic with it but spraying less is better with GH.

cpatrick44

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 7, 2020
I got a big batch of Zak's new oils (both for Ahom and Naaz). I'll post my thoughts here as I give them wearings. The first two are triumphs for the brand but personal busts, as jasmine unfortunately gives me headaches (a curse, a g***amned curse) and both of these feature jasmine prominently.

Narco Cuir - appropriately named. Extremely heady jasmine and tuberose over an oud leather. This is a monster of an attar (in style and projection) and I feel like it is going to be a big hit among those who like big, punchy scents (typically the types of things you might associate with Ensar). If you tried Kaafila II, then you've had a preview of this attar, because the opening of Kaafila contains a hint of the narcotic accord in this. It's just as if you took that little note and turned it up to 11 and made it the whole fragrance. To be frank, I'm not man enough to pull this one off. An absolute beast.

Poseidon - very cleverly named. It's nice for Zak to take a more artistic, top-down approach to marketing this attar, as it does indeed help shape the experience. However, this one could have been named Beauty and the Beast, because it has a very distinct Side A and a Side B. You would never guess the second half of this fragrance from the first. Opens with jasmine and rose, very light, very beautiful. But it isn't until the heart and the drydown that you get the marine aspects of this fragrance. When it does turn, it's something special, and because jasmine gives me headaches, I found myself aching for the drydown on subsequent wearings. For people who don't have such a reaction to jasmine (most everyone else, I suspect), I think they'll really like this. The development is really pronounced and it's like a magic trick.

More to come.

pete james

May 5, 2018
I got a big batch of Zak's new oils (both for Ahom and Naaz). I'll post my thoughts here as I give them wearings. The first two are triumphs for the brand but personal busts, as jasmine unfortunately gives me headaches (a curse, a g***amned curse) and both of these feature jasmine prominently.

Narco Cuir - appropriately named. Extremely heady jasmine and tuberose over an oud leather. This is a monster of an attar (in style and projection) and I feel like it is going to be a big hit among those who like big, punchy scents (typically the types of things you might associate with Ensar). If you tried Kaafila II, then you've had a preview of this attar, because the opening of Kaafila contains a hint of the narcotic accord in this. It's just as if you took that little note and turned it up to 11 and made it the whole fragrance. To be frank, I'm not man enough to pull this one off. An absolute beast.

Poseidon - very cleverly named. It's nice for Zak to take a more artistic, top-down approach to marketing this attar, as it does indeed help shape the experience. However, this one could have been named Beauty and the Beast, because it has a very distinct Side A and a Side B. You would never guess the second half of this fragrance from the first. Opens with jasmine and rose, very light, very beautiful. But it isn't until the heart and the drydown that you get the marine aspects of this fragrance. When it does turn, it's something special, and because jasmine gives me headaches, I found myself aching for the drydown on subsequent wearings. For people who don't have such a reaction to jasmine (most everyone else, I suspect), I think they'll really like this. The development is really pronounced and it's like a magic trick.

More to come.

Great to hear your views and give them 6 months of aging and they will become different beasts!

cpatrick44

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 7, 2020
Great to hear your views and give them 6 months of aging and they will become different beasts!

Thanks Pete - unfortunately I think I'll end up having to part with these two as a result of the jasmine (though I want to stress, this is unique to me, I've had to do the same with many fragrances, including Elixir Attar's Iris Chypre, because for whatever reason it triggers headaches - the worst part: the better quality the jasmine, the worse the headache).

I do find this strategy of "buy now and just wait, it's going to get better" to be an interesting one on behalf of perfumers. I've mainly heard this in connection with Ahom and Ensar, and it doesn't seem to hurt their sales or reputation at all (and in fact I've never smelled anything by Zak that I thought wasn't "ready"). On the other hand, you have those like, say, Sultan Pasha, who seem to sit on their oils until they are 100% pleased with what is going out in the world. Word on the SP forum is that he's working on his next batch of Thebes right now but it won't be for sale for at least a year! Not saying one tactic is better than the other, but it is an interesting contrast.

pete james

May 5, 2018
Thanks Pete - unfortunately I think I'll end up having to part with these two as a result of the jasmine (though I want to stress, this is unique to me, I've had to do the same with many fragrances, including Elixir Attar's Iris Chypre, because for whatever reason it triggers headaches - the worst part: the better quality the jasmine, the worse the headache).

I do find this strategy of "buy now and just wait, it's going to get better" to be an interesting one on behalf of perfumers. I've mainly heard this in connection with Ahom and Ensar, and it doesn't seem to hurt their sales or reputation at all (and in fact I've never smelled anything by Zak that I thought wasn't "ready"). On the other hand, you have those like, say, Sultan Pasha, who seem to sit on their oils until they are 100% pleased with what is going out in the world. Word on the SP forum is that he's working on his next batch of Thebes right now but it won't be for sale for at least a year! Not saying one tactic is better than the other, but it is an interesting contrast.

Yeah I totally get it mate! I`ve actually had frags that have made me nauseous and had to off load them pronto hahaha...and with the aging bit,I find that perfumers like say Russian Adam ..his fragrances just seem to get better with age...say Indolis..its so much more rounded and to me,smoother now days...:laugh:

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020

Zak does this exact practice though. All of these Attars he just released he made a video putting into the “vault” to macerate in the dark for 12 months. His next batch of Attars will be ready at the beginning of the year in which he did the same thing this last winter! He marks them and everything but I do feel that oils oxidize once they hit the air and that maceration time can take years to fully mature. BUT Sultan Pasha also uses a lot of synthetics so I think some of those have a better fighting chance of being amazing right out the gate although I have a couple that have benefitted from air exposure. Namely Nankun Kodo and Cafe Ambre Noir.

I do believe that with Zak’s Attars he loves Jasmine so that note pretty much is consistent across the board. I have maybe two attars out of 15 that don’t use Jasmine in some capacity. It’s a staple of traditional Indian perfumery so that tolerance is probably different over there where it’s normal to wear jasmine/sandalwood neat.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Narco Cuir is intense. Absolutely intense. I don’t see how aging will do anything to this scent. It’s raw, primal, and powerful.

The main notes here are tuberose absolute. Think intensely indolic green tuberose absolute on top of intensely fermented Nagaland Oud. Raw horse hide, pastures, leather that has been dipped into Smokey castoreum. Probably too much castoreum for my tastes as this is the aroma of pure castoreum macerated in sandalwood. If you’ve smelled this aroma of basically raw castoreum this will get you about 75% of the way to this Attar.

So those three notes are what you have here. Green tuberose, intense barnyard Hindi oud and extremely dense castoreum. Unfortunately I don’t get any similarity to Khafiila II as that Attar was all about vetiver, white florals, and musky sandalwood BUT I can see how the white floral driven opening could be related to Khafiila.

To my nose this is essentially pure Hindi oud and castoreum with a touch of tuberose. So if you’re into that sort of thing you’ll love this. I love this scent but there’s no way I could ever wear it. Not around my wife anyways or any one else for that matter. Still it’s beautiful and I’m glad I own it.

Okumichi

Jul 2, 2020
nightingale and Santal oud are definite buys for me.

Emperors Court I’ll sit out on but I think a lot of folks will be really happy with it. I got to sample it earlier this year and it’s absolutely going to be loved by a lot of folks that enjoy the “emperors” series.
Is Emperor's Court in the same ball park as Ghaliyah Hind or Ghaliyah Reflection? Owning both of those, I would likely pass if it's similar. Nightingale sounds intriguing based off the name.

In Amber

Oct 12, 2019
The real question here is whether Emperor's Court is an Emperor Hind 2 or something to that effect.
The real question here is whether Emperor's Court is an Emperor Hind 2 or something to that effect.
Possibly some differences or they would have probably called it Emperor Hind 2 as they did Rising Mysore etc . Also I see Basenotes still doesn't seem to have any Dixit & Zak releases in their database which is a little surprising now after the number of releases.

Staff online

Latest News