Agarwood (oud) oil!

Maxwell

Apr 5, 2007
I got a shipment of agarwood (oud) oil samples from Oriscent a while ago, and I've been living with them for a couple weeks before making my evaluations. If anyone hasn't experienced true oud oil before, it's a major treat.

I got four samples:

Assam Organic (Indian oud): Indian oud has a reputation for being stanky, and this one definitely is. It does settle down on the skin, but it literally smells like a barn. Hay, fresh earth and animals, but not in a rotten sense. This isn't something I'd wear outside of the house until it's really settled on my skin.

China Exclusive: Chinese oud is supposedly known for being stanky like the Indian stuff. It is, but it has an almost medicinal smell straight from the vial... but it settles down nicer than the Assam Organic once it's on the skin.

Archipelago (Indonesian oud): This one is considered a "floral" oud, and I think that just means it doesn't smell like a zoo. This scent is out of this world. It smells like a tropical jungle by the ocean. It's the first time I've ever smelled something simultaneously earthy and etheric. It's truly beautiful, and everyone I've had smell it loves it. It doesn't have ANY of the barnyard qualities that the Indian and Chinese oud does.

Sheikh's Borneo: This is like Archipelago, but twice as expensive. It does smell "clearer" and brighter, so there's definitely a quality difference.

----------------------------

Of the four, I like Archipelago the best because of the price, but Sheikh's Borneo is a slight step above. The Indonesian ouds don't have the barnyard smell at all. My girlfriend is crazy about those two. It's her favourite scent on me (tied with Le Labo Rose 31). In fact, they actually layer incredibly well with Rose 31. Probably because Rose 31 has a strong agarwood note (which I could actually smell much more clearly after sampling the oud oil... almost like it woke my nose up to the smell).

Anyone else an oud fan?

Last edited:

mstrocovie

May 20, 2006
I too, purchased the same sampler from Oriscent. I knew going in that Chinese and Indian ouds were not my bag, although they are very nice once the initial wooohooo settles and they last a long,long time. I purchased from Oriscent as a frame of reference to measure some other ouds oils I purchased to see if they stood up. They did. The Archipelago is very similar to a Malaysian I have and the Sheiks Borneo is very nice as well. If you haven't already, you should try Cambodian oud. It is outstanding and my absolute fave. It is also the choice of Pierre Montale for Black Aoud.

Maxwell

Apr 5, 2007
I too, purchased the same sampler from Oriscent. I knew going in that Chinese and Indian ouds were not my bag, although they are very nice once the initial wooohooo settles and they last a long,long time. I purchased from Oriscent as a frame of reference to measure some other ouds oils I purchased to see if they stood up. They did. The Archipelago is very similar to a Malaysian I have and the Sheiks Borneo is very nice as well. If you haven't already, you should try Cambodian oud. It is outstanding and my absolute fave. It is also the choice of Pierre Montale for Black Aoud.

I have a Malaysian oud I got through Ebay (of all places), and I agree, it's similiar to the Indonesian from Oriscent. What does the Cambodian smell like? Does it smell "barn-y" at all?

Where did you get your other ouds from?

usqview

Nov 11, 2007
i have recently become fascinated with montale's aouds. i really like black aoud and aoud lime. especially the opening burst that sticks around for about an hour or so. i have looked at that sampler from Oriscent but havent pulled the trigger yet.

a couple of questions:

how much is .3 grams in ml?
how is the sillage and longevity?
do the oils smell anything like the opening of montale's aouds?
how big are the full sized vials that they sell?

the hainan oud attar looks interesting, sandalwood and oud combo.

cheers!
ryan

mstrocovie

May 20, 2006
I have a Malaysian oud I got through Ebay (of all places), and I agree, it's similiar to the Indonesian from Oriscent. What does the Cambodian smell like? Does it smell "barn-y" at all?

Where did you get your other ouds from?

Got the Malaysian the same place you did as well as some others. Have gotten others from different sources like alibaba and the sorts. The Cambodian is sweet, smoky and a little bitter/medicinal.

ajmc

Jun 9, 2003
I'm happy to hear you are enjoying them. Its nice to see another oud/Oriscent convert. I have spent a small fortune on nine bottles of Oriscent's ouds and don't regret it one bit. Sometimes i think what i would grab if, God forbid, we had a fire. The ouds would be the first (if i had time) to go.

I have said it before and i will say it again -- people who say they hate oud really should give Oriscent's oils a try. Especially the ones from Borneo/Indonesia. I truly think many will change their thoughts about agarwood oil. Oriscent is in a class all by itself.

Its funny how our noses our different. I own Malaysian Sultan and i don't find many similarities to the Borneo's. The MS has some of the sweetness but none of the floral overtones that the Indonesian oils have. Also, unlike the Indian oils, the fecal notes are at a bare minimum. MS is rather unique.

If you love Archipelago and Sheik's Borneo you have to try Borneo 3000 and Kyara LTD. These two are simply breathtaking. Words cannot describe how wonderful they are.

Green Papua is very nice as well. Its similar to Archipelago but is even more floral.

Maxwell

Apr 5, 2007
Medicinal like Band-Aids?

Not quite, more like a camphorous, slightly "piercing" medicinal quality. But that fades on the skin after about 30 minutes.

a couple of questions:

how much is .3 grams in ml?
how is the sillage and longevity?
do the oils smell anything like the opening of montale's aouds?
how big are the full sized vials that they sell?

the hainan oud attar looks interesting, sandalwood and oud combo.

cheers!
ryan

1 gram is about 1ml. The sillage and longevity is great. I have a short beard and I like to rub a dab of oud into it. My girlfriend constantly sniffs my neck when I do that. Le Labo Rose 31 and the sweeter Indonesian oud is an awesome combo. The full size bottles from Oriscent are 3 grams, or approximately 3ml.

Got the Malaysian the same place you did as well as some others. Have gotten others from different sources like alibaba and the sorts. The Cambodian is sweet, smoky and a little bitter/medicinal.

Hmm, did you get the Malaysian oud from QT's store on Ebay? I'll have to get a samper of some Cambodian stuff.

I'm happy to hear you are enjoying them. Its nice to see another oud/Oriscent convert. I have spent a small fortune on nine bottles of Oriscent's ouds and don't regret it one bit. Sometimes i think what i would grab if, God forbid, we had a fire. The ouds would be the first (if i had time) to go.

I have said it before and i will say it again -- people who say they hate oud really should give Oriscent's oils a try. Especially the ones from Borneo/Indonesia. I truly think many will change their thoughts about agarwood oil. Oriscent is in a class all by itself.

Its funny how our noses our different. I own Malaysian Sultan and i don't find many similarities to the Borneo's. The MS has some of the sweetness but none of the floral overtones that the Indonesian oils have. Also, unlike the Indian oils, the fecal notes are at a bare minimum. MS is rather unique.

If you love Archipelago and Sheik's Borneo you have to try Borneo 3000 and Kyara LTD. These two are simply breathtaking. Words cannot describe how wonderful they are.

Green Papua is very nice as well. Its similar to Archipelago but is even more floral.

I was really surprised by how awesome the Oriscent oud is. I wasn't expecting it to smell so good, because I've tried other (cheaper) oud oils before, and while I liked them a lot, they weren't "sublime" like I feel the Indonesian stuff is.

Nicolas V

Nov 8, 2006
Oriscent is seriously the real deal and of all the 'ouds I have owned, theirs are head and shoulders above the rest.

I do find the barnyard element a bit rough, though. I recently received a swipe of an Indian 'oud and it was a full-on petting zoo emanating from my hand. Later it dried down rather nicely, but the opening was so incredibly savage that I can't say I enjoyed it.

I'm not sure if Sweet China is around anymore, but that is another beautiful one as well. Much less feral/fecal than the pure Chinese oil.

ajmc

Jun 9, 2003
I was really surprised by how awesome the Oriscent oud is. I wasn't expecting it to smell so good, because I've tried other (cheaper) oud oils before, and while I liked them a lot, they weren't "sublime" like I feel the Indonesian stuff is.

With oud oil you truly get what you pay for.

I have conversed with Ensar (the owner of Oriscent) and he has told me most of the oils on Ebay sold has "pure" oud are not. They are mixed with sandalwood etc. Because they haven't smelled it before, most people don't know the difference. And a lot of the stuff that is pure is usually low grade. Low grade oud is very medicinal with leather undertones. I think this is the reason many people say they hate oud -- they have never smelled top shelf oud.

I ordered a bottle from Agarscents Bazaar on Ebay. I can't remember the name -- green borneo or something. I thought it might be something like my small sample of Green Papua. Boy was i wrong. It started out ok but it got harsher as it dried down. Absolute crap! For a little less than double the price i could have ordered the GP.

Needless to say, soon after i ordered a bottle of GP.

Last edited:

Maxwell

Apr 5, 2007
I had a woman (who is into perfumes and essential oils) from my work smell the Archipelago oud and she literally teared up from it, she thought it was so beautiful. I didn't believe her at first when she told me, but I saw her eyes get watery.

I've never seen that before!

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
I have the Borneo 3000 and Oud Royale from Oriscent and they are both truly unique and utterly stunning fragrances. The Borneo is more green and floral but has a luminosity about it that is wonderful. Oud Royale is darker and more mysterious and very penetrating. The Oriscent oud's seem to combine an earthy depth with a spiritual luminosity that I haven't found an any other fragrances. Something in the agarwood growth and distillation process captures this mysterious earth/spirit feel. I can see how these would layer very well contemporary oud based perfumes like Rose 31, Duro or M7 - but why bother when they are so good on their own.

Maxwell

Apr 5, 2007
I have the Borneo 3000 and Oud Royale from Oriscent and they are both truly unique and utterly stunning fragrances. The Borneo is more green and floral but has a luminosity about it that is wonderful. Oud Royale is darker and more mysterious and very penetrating. The Oriscent oud's seem to combine an earthy depth with a spiritual luminosity that I haven't found an any other fragrances. Something in the agarwood growth and distillation process captures this mysterious earth/spirit feel. I can see how these would layer very well contemporary oud based perfumes like Rose 31, Duro or M7 - but why bother when they are so good on their own.

Once I run out of Rose 31 I might switch to "oud only". I have to say that the more I get into natural oils like oud and high quality sandalwood, the less I want to wear commercial fragrances. The last few times I've worn commercial fragrances, I've just felt dissatisfied. Oud and sandalwood has, for lack of a better term, a spiritualizing effect on me that I find so much more satisfying than anything else.

In fact, one of the reasons I like Rose 31 so much (aside from the fact that my girlfriend loves it) is that I can easily wear it with oud, so I don't have to "go without". :)

bbobkc

Feb 22, 2007
I got a shipment of agarwood (oud) oil samples from Oriscent a while ago, and I've been living with them for a couple weeks before making my evaluations. If anyone hasn't experienced true oud oil before, it's a major treat.

I got four samples:

Assam Organic (Indian oud): Indian oud has a reputation for being stanky, and this one definitely is. It does settle down on the skin, but it literally smells like a barn. Hay, fresh earth and animals, but not in a rotten sense. This isn't something I'd wear outside of the house until it's really settled on my skin.

China Exclusive: Chinese oud is supposedly known for being stanky like the Indian stuff. It is, but it has an almost medicinal smell straight from the vial... but it settles down nicer than the Assam Organic once it's on the skin.

Archipelago (Indonesian oud): This one is considered a "floral" oud, and I think that just means it doesn't smell like a zoo. This scent is out of this world. It smells like a tropical jungle by the ocean. It's the first time I've ever smelled something simultaneously earthy and etheric. It's truly beautiful, and everyone I've had smell it loves it. It doesn't have ANY of the barnyard qualities that the Indian and Chinese oud does.

Sheikh's Borneo: This is like Archipelago, but twice as expensive. It does smell "clearer" and brighter, so there's definitely a quality difference.

----------------------------

Of the four, I like Archipelago the best because of the price, but Sheikh's Borneo is a slight step above. The Indonesian ouds don't have the barnyard smell at all. My girlfriend is crazy about those two. It's her favourite scent on me (tied with Le Labo Rose 31). In fact, they actually layer incredibly well with Rose 31. Probably because Rose 31 has a strong agarwood note (which I could actually smell much more clearly after sampling the oud oil... almost like it woke my nose up to the smell).

Anyone else an oud fan?

I feel a little foolish but how big is a .3 gram sample? Thanks.

Schachman

Nov 15, 2007
I truly wish I had the free cash to try something like this... I looked at their website - and tempted to try some of the less expensive ones, but then I think I would rather wait and try to buy one of their higher end samples (even 0.3 g at $117!). Maxwell or Buzzlepuff, does that sound a good idea to wait and buy, say, the Royal or the Kyara - instead of Malaysian Sultan or the Brunei Supreme?

evogel

Jan 23, 2003
They claim that 0.3g can last weeks if applied judiciously...?! It must be quite potent.
I am almost afraid to sample from Oriscent because of the potential $'s that may fly from my wallet.
I have been craving that depth and satisfaction that Maxwell describes that seems to be lacking to me from a lot of fragrances lately. I guess I'm looking for a higher high and maybe this is the place to find it? :)

mstrocovie

May 20, 2006
With oud oil you truly get what you pay for.

I have conversed with Ensar (the owner of Oriscent) and he has told me most of the oils on Ebay sold has "pure" oud are not. They are mixed with sandalwood etc. Because they haven't smelled it before, most people don't know the difference. And a lot of the stuff that is pure is usually low grade. Low grade oud is very medicinal with leather undertones. I think this is the reason many people say they hate oud -- they have never smelled top shelf oud.

I ordered a bottle from Agarscents Bazaar on Ebay. I can't remember the name -- green borneo or something. I thought it might be something like my small sample of Green Papua. Boy was i wrong. It started out ok but it got harsher as it dried down. Absolute crap! For a little less than double the price i could have ordered the GP.

Needless to say, soon after i ordered a bottle of GP.

I've purchased from Agarscents and their black agar musk is very nice.

Maxwell

Apr 5, 2007
I truly wish I had the free cash to try something like this... I looked at their website - and tempted to try some of the less expensive ones, but then I think I would rather wait and try to buy one of their higher end samples (even 0.3 g at $117!). Maxwell or Buzzlepuff, does that sound a good idea to wait and buy, say, the Royal or the Kyara - instead of Malaysian Sultan or the Brunei Supreme?

Personally, I love the $200 Archipelago (and so does my girlfriend and everyone else I've tested it on). I'm tempted to sample the more expensive ones too, but for now I'm really satisfied with that one. The only four I've tried are Archipelago, Sheikh's Borneo, Assam Organic, and China Exclusive Oud.

Maybe if you bought a full bottle from Oriscent you could ask whether you could get a tiny sample of a more expensive one on a paper test strip or something, to see what the differences might be.

Maybe for my birthday I'll treat myself to a sample of the Kyara...

They claim that 0.3g can last weeks if applied judiciously...?! It must be quite potent.
I am almost afraid to sample from Oriscent because of the potential $'s that may fly from my wallet.
I have been craving that depth and satisfaction that Maxwell describes that seems to be lacking to me from a lot of fragrances lately. I guess I'm looking for a higher high and maybe this is the place to find it? :)

Oud is extremely potent. I put half a drop (or less) on my wrist, rub my wrists lightly together, and then rub my wrists on my forearms (the hair helps hold the scent). It lasts 6-8+ hours that way, with perfect sillage. I have a very short beard, and if I put a little on my beard it lasts all day.

I know what you mean about the craving for depth. These days, Indonesian Oud (and real sandalwood oil) are the only things that really satisfy me when I wear them. I wear Le Labo Rose 31 on most days, but like I mentioned before, it's mostly because it layers so well with the Oud oil.

Aghora

Apr 4, 2008
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and I just found this thread. Agarwood Oil is one of my favorite oils. However, it is a shame, because it is also one of the most adulterated oils out there. The Oriscent oils really do set a standard, and can be used as a benchmark for comparison of oil from other suppliers.

I read in a post above, that the fellow from Oriscent said most Oudh oil on Ebay and on the net isn't pure, and mixed with Sandalwood oil. That is only partially correct.
It is true that many Oudh oils arent pure, but pure Sandalwood oil these days is so rare, use of sandalwood to extend Oudh oil is unheard of. Perhaps, only by legitimate dealers selling a real sandalwood/ agarwood attar.
The truth is, real and pure Sandalwood oil is almost impossible to get in India, let alone the states or Europe. I was in India in December 2007, so I know first hand. While companies like Liberty Natural, Essential Oil University and other big name suppliers all claim to have pure Santalum Album from India, I have seen their stuff and it is all adulterated.
The only pure sandalwood oil out there right now is from Australia, and the South Pacific, like new Caledonia, Vanuatu, etc, but these are not S. album

So what do people cut Oudh oil with now days? Usually liquid paraffin, DOP base,P. glycol and other synthetics. A fellow in China recently told me about how the Chinese are cutting their Oudh oil with pork fat, since it is undetectable.

As for Ebay, I have done business with Agarscents Bazaar and his quality for me was decent.
I did have a bad Ebay experience though with some guy in Singapore named Ham Firl at QT' Store. This guys oil was so bad, one bottle had chemical residue on the bottom and I had to return it. The person was such a jerk, and refused returns, so I had to file with my credit card company. It was such a disaster, I filed a rip off report: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/318/ripoff0318102.htm
Please do not buy from him.

Ironically,I recently had to go to Asia and I was on a two day layover in Singapore. Singapore is known as a major trading hub for Agarwood and Oil. So, I decided to track some reputable merchants down.
There is a district in Singapore called Kaki Buket and all the Agarwood wholesalers are set up in this big warehouse building called Ruby Red. There must me 15-25 Agarwood Dealers there!

I spent my my two afternoons chatting and buying samples of wood from Chinese, Arab, and Malaysian dealers. One warehouse room had stack of boxes of agarwood piled to the ceiling, there must have been $5 million worth of wood! It was truly a memorable experience.
Here are my reflections: There were many grades of wood up to sinking grade, from 90$SD to 4000$SD and up. Most of the wood is now coming from Indonesia. The real high end stuff from Indonesia is from Kalimantan, formerly known as Borneo. The problem is most of this more expensive wood has been dipped in wax to make it more heavy, and also to give the old wood stability and keep it from falling apart.
I asked a dealer of 28 in the business about this and he confirmed it.

As for oil, none of the dealers in S'pore had pure oil. Only one dealer had some decent stuff, but not 100% You have to figure, that by the time the oil gets to Singapore, unless purchased directly from the distiller, it has changed hands at least two-four times. Each time, being cut. Trygve Harris, owner of enfleurage, says most oil get cut before it even leaves the province of distillation. After traveling and seeing this for myself, I have to concur.

Last edited:

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR

Jul 30, 2006
Wow, great thread.

Two questions, picking up on a recent thread about oud oils and arabian oud perfumes vs Montales.

To those of you who are familliar with the oil oils and arabian perfumes, would you say Montale Aouds smell cheap/gaudy in comparison, or are they using nice aouds, and using them tastefully?

Last edited:

Mudassir

Jun 17, 2007
Gaivs,
If you've ever lived in the middle east and have had experience with the traditional perfumery over there, then it will be quite a bit hard for you to get impressed with Montale. Their products, no doubt, are high quality. But almost all of them smell more like a dilution of concentrated oils widely available in the middle east- and I'm not talking about the high-end stuff.

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR

Jul 30, 2006
Hey mudassir - so when it comes to these high quality fragrances in the middle east, (and I don't mean straight oud oils, but perfumes and perfume oils that are composed) are there reputable houses which produce widely for the middle eastern market and are well known there, but which are unknown here in the west? Or is it done on a much smaller and more local scale?

And would you say then that Montale is often just taking existing Arabian perfumes and then making softer copycats of them? And even the higher concentration version you can get in Paris are weak in comparison?

Mudassir

Jun 17, 2007
Gaivs,
Unlike here in the west, the art of perfumery (or pretty much everything as a matter of fact, before the takeover by blatant consumerism) as practiced in the east isn't associated as much with the name as with quality. There are a VERY few "houses". Most of the art is passed on from generation to generation, and there isn't much effort put into commercializing it to increase sales 100 times.

Montale IS taking existing perfumes in the sense that pretty much everybody takes existing perfumes in traditional perfumery and give it their own interpretation. But the interpretatiosn aren't as drastically different as they could be in the commercialized world. Vetiver, for example, is interpreted by every house in 1000 different flavors that might not have that much in common with each other as far as the finished fragrance goes.

I haven't smelled the higher concentration version of Montale, but I could tell you it would still be tailored to the western nose- and hence not as potent.

My first experience with Montale was Montale Attar- and it literally smelled EXACTLY like something street vendors used to sell outside mosques when I was growing up. Montale line- though very good- is certainly average in quality when compared to the real deal as practiced in the east.

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR

Jul 30, 2006
So when you're going to buy a perfume in the middle east, are you buying perfumes made from a local family artisan usually? When you go to a merchant, how do you know what to expect in advance in terms of quality or style if there is not a familliar name associated with the producer or artist of what you are buying? Does the merchant make recommendations based on what you tell you you like or are looking for?

Attar I know is a straight copy of a standard formula, rose and sandalwood - in that case he wasn't pretending to be original, but I didn't realize the others like Black Aoud etc weren't very original. Compared to the normal Montales, the higher concentrations are much more vivid and intense.

Last edited:

Mudassir

Jun 17, 2007
Gaivs,
If you are a youngster that grew up in the MTV age, then you will go to one of the flashy stores (which aren't that many) such as Ajmal or Arabian Oud. If you are an old timer, then you will go to the traditional marketplace. Over there, most of the business is done based on quality and neither the buyer nor the seller would care much or even know about the name. You as a buyer would tell the seller what grades you are looking for. In some of the local areas, there might be a parfumer who might make himself a name and people might ask for his creations- but that in general is limited to the local area only.

zephyr16

Dec 1, 2006
Wow, great thread.

Two questions, picking up on a recent thread about oud oils and arabian oud perfumes vs Montales.

To those of you who are familliar with the oil oils and arabian perfumes, would you say Montale Aouds smell cheap/gaudy in comparison, or are they using nice aouds, and using them tastefully?

GAIVS To answer your question in a blatant manner- yes...Montales are gaudy and short lived compared to some of the oils ...but then there is a lot of chemistry here in work right? i mean Montales are dispersed via an atomiser whereas these oils are dabbed onto your skin using a small cotton swab / ball....so concentration is a crucial part here...but also some of the blends I've got from Bombay are much more aromatic and soulful then the "Ohh so expensive " Montales...

My Family since ages have been purchasing oils from a trader in bombay...so if you are in USA...I'd be glad to send you some incense sticks made from resins and blends of OUD and Sandalwood. :)

smellyliquid

Aug 10, 2007

I took 0.5 ml of oud oil (half of one of those smallest type of 1ml sample vials) to sweden for 6 months when I went on exchange and I used it... about as often as I would here, maybe 2 or 3 times a month, so 18 wearings, and its still about 0.38ml left when I got back home...

Last edited:

Xplo

Feb 18, 2006
I did have a bad Ebay experience though with some guy in Singapore named Ham Firl at QT' Store. This guys oil was so bad, one bottle had chemical residue on the bottom and I had to return it. The person was such a jerk, and refused returns, so I had to file with my credit card company. It was such a disaster, I filed a rip off report: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/318/ripoff0318102.htm
Please do not buy from him.

This is strange news to me; until now I have only heard positive reports about Ham Firl and his products. I've actually been pondering buying from him, to expand my experience with oud.

It seems as though it is almost pointless to seek out real, good quality oud; I gather that nearly all of it is adulterated, and the only assurance anyone has of purity and quality is the worthless word of a dishonest seller, assuring you that their increasingly outrageous prices reflect their products and not their greed.

smellyliquid

Aug 10, 2007
xplo, buy his higher end products, starting at around 50 dollars per 3ml, his oud is good, otherwise the lower quality stuff really does suck, but I mean what do you expect @ less than 50$ per 3ml. Personally Id go 100$ and above...

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
Maxwell - we must have really similar tastes in fragrance because I also really like both Oriscent oud as well as Rose 31. I have not tried the two together yet, but that does sound like it would be great especially because Rose 31 has so little of of the pure quality oud oil in it like the Oriscents have. My girlfriend also is fanatical about Rose 31 - so much she had to have her own bottle and she also gets comments from people almost daily when she wears it.

My Oriscents were gotten about a year ago - I have a bottle of Borneo 3000 and Royal Oud. Of course this stuff seems to last forever and is very potent. Both of these ouds are excellent, but the Borneo 3000 is my favorite. I think they may be out of the B3000 now?- Not sure of this. It has a slight floral green drift that mixes with the oud oil - it is truly a transcendent fragrance experience. The Royal oud is a little more serious and not quite as accessible. I have not tried Kayara or Sheik's Borneo yet but, sounds like I need to try them.

hirch_duckfinder

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 8, 2006
Given that it is impossible to get pure, high grade Oud, does that mean that the promotional blurb on Oriscent is claptrap in the same way that Creed's is..... distilled for the richest man on earth....etc? Just wondering? - By the way, this doesn't mean their oils don't smell great.

Xplo

Feb 18, 2006
xplo, buy his higher end products, starting at around 50 dollars per 3ml, his oud is good, otherwise the lower quality stuff really does suck, but I mean what do you expect @ less than 50$ per 3ml. Personally Id go 100$ and above...

What I expect is to be able to sample different ouds without paying an arm and a leg for them, before I decide to buy into one. I realize the stuff is ridiculously expensive, especially the higher grades, but I'm not going to shell out all that money for oud I haven't smelled yet, and I doubt it resells as well as brand name perfumes. And, failing that, what I expect is to get what I pay for and not have to worry that it'll turn out to be garbage. It's ridiculous that something as frequently adulterated as oud should also be as expensive as it is while also being as hard to sample before buying.

So yeah, I'm a bit frustrated. :p

Domingo

Aug 29, 2006
Given that it is impossible to get pure, high grade Oud
Talking about jumping to conclusions, lol. :)

Anyway, I would not buy this sort of products on eBay, even if I were a celeb with money to burn. ;)

Oriscent I don't know, they used to be good, but my last order with them is from over a year ago, and things change, they always do...
However, I did noticed one thing about Oriscent; if they are out of stock on a certain type of Oud, it never reappears.

I know this, because I'm waiting for their 'Sweet China' to come back in stock for over a year. Probably won't happen. Amazing stuff that was. A blend of two types of Ouds, actually. Which lead me to the conclusion they really do have only a certain amount of oil, and once that's finished, it's gone. If that was not the case, you would see the same stuff appear over and over again, like it is the case with so many other sellers, and not only those on eBay.

But to be 100% sure, no, THAT'S indeed impossible.

Last edited:

smellyliquid

Aug 10, 2007
What I expect is to be able to sample different ouds without paying an arm and a leg for them, before I decide to buy into one. I realize the stuff is ridiculously expensive, especially the higher grades, but I'm not going to shell out all that money for oud I haven't smelled yet, and I doubt it resells as well as brand name perfumes. And, failing that, what I expect is to get what I pay for and not have to worry that it'll turn out to be garbage. It's ridiculous that something as frequently adulterated as oud should also be as expensive as it is while also being as hard to sample before buying.

So yeah, I'm a bit frustrated. :p

i feel you, idonno... I just took the plunge on the most expensive one and I was definatley satisfied. Earlier I had also purchased one for 45$ and was satisfied with that as well... althought the one for double the moeny was indeed much much better!

Aghora

Apr 4, 2008
This is strange news to me; until now I have only heard positive reports about Ham Firl and his products. I've actually been pondering buying from him, to expand my experience with oud.

It seems as though it is almost pointless to seek out real, good quality oud; I gather that nearly all of it is adulterated, and the only assurance anyone has of purity and quality is the worthless word of a dishonest seller, assuring you that their increasingly outrageous prices reflect their products and not their greed.

Most people that buy from him don't know quality. Also, in Singapore, it is almost impossible to find pure oil even from the wholesalers. He has to dilute even the higher end oils, as he needs to make a profit. High quality pure oud oil, from wild wood, wholesales at $50 and up. So do the math. Just to compare, the wood he sells on ebay for $2500 a kilo, goes for $800 SD in Singapore, so look at his mark up.

Oud is one of the most adulterated oils out there, but there are a few good sources. I recently saw some of the Oriscent oil, and as I said before, it is top shelf. I found a couple of other sources but I have not tested yet.

One is http://www.enfleurage.com/oils-a-c.html, She sells Hindi and Laos. The Lao, if it is the same as I have, LAo PDR, is good stinky Crassna Oil.
Agarwood: Is It Endangered? http://www.enfleurage.com/ac-agarwood-2.html
Agarwood - Gem of Truth http://www.enfleurage.com/aa-agarwood.html

Also, this one may have some decent oil, Have not tried it yet:

http://unsfinecrafts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5&zenid=ijhqo7o3oq45lnja3sm7qa43t3

Latest News