Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
Wearing Kelantan today as I await delivery of Kinam Urjuani
Kelantan won me over on the first try, late last year, and also won me over to the house.
Not sure why I like Kelantan so much. Pretty much a simple soli-wood, with a touch of vanilla and cinnamon in the background. I could easily wear it every day, during the cool and cold months.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
And, sampling Kinam Urjuani this evening. Another wood soliflore, along the lines of Kelantan, which I love, and Malinau, which I've gone back and forth about. This one is both more floral and more fruity than those two.

KU starts with a blast of lemony leather, zingy, minty green oud and chalky orris root. That cold orris root impression is pronounced at the start.There is also a fruity note, like apple juice. The heart of KU is powdery sweet fruit juice and fresh cut wood on a dark fizzy base; cola-ish but definitely fizzy.

That cold orris root note disappears after a short while, but the powderiness that we sometimes associate with iris perfumes remains. Is there orris in this perfume? Its not clear, but wouldn't be surprised. That said, I don't really get purple floral notes from this perfume, as you do with EO purple rain and OST

Like the other two, KU has a cinnamon note, but not as heavy as Malinau had to start. And there is also the pickled, sawed wood note that is prominent in Malinau and, to lesser extent, in Kelantan. It seems to be a house signature for ouds.

No experience with the drydown, yet.

Dominant impressions: mint top, fruit juice, fizzy cola, powder, cut wood.
Projection: on par with Malinau; ie, understated but adequate, maybe even preferred if you want to wear it at work or in the company of others
Longevity: ?? I'll know tomorrow.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
Longevity: skin scent 10 hours later. So probably acceptable length for me, but by no means a long distance runner. Again, similar to Malinau in the Long. department.

So is it a like, love, dislike or indifference?
One try, liked it, didn't love it. If it was priced like Malinau and Kelantan, I'd probably seek out 10mL decant. But at $50 per, I will look for and be happy with 3 mL and that will be it.

AZsmells

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 11, 2004
Wearing Kelantan today as I await delivery of Kinam Urjuani
Kelantan won me over on the first try, late last year, and also won me over to the house.
Not sure why I like Kelantan so much. Pretty much a simple soli-wood, with a touch of vanilla and cinnamon in the background. I could easily wear it every day, during the cool and cold months.

I wore Kelantan yesterday. I really like it and see similarities with Malinau with the prominent cinnamon. Malinau I only have a sample of but will pass on a full bottle as I find it too close to Kelantan.
Kinam Urjuani I am waiting for my 3 ml from naylor's split.

Shadowartisttxl

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 25, 2016
Here's all 24 of my Extraits at the moment, having just received my bottle of Kinam Urjani.

image0-3.jpg

zeedubbya

Basenotes Member
Apr 4, 2019
Any further feedback on the new one? Urjani. Thanks to @james1051 for the feedback you’ve posted.- 👏 I just can’t go for these Extraits at these prices. Being an “Oudobsessive” I see $1200 as the price to get into some top tier oils. Nothing personal to Taha or Sealed Essence. Excellent experiences with both people, just my opinion.

I am starting to see a new direction this hobby is going for me. I have jumped back into some fragrances I have enjoyed in the past (Roja, Slumberhouse, Memo, Aventus some..) and am enjoying my Oud collection more because of it. Wear a few spritzes of something (more) mass appealing and spray on cloth—enjoy my smell and memories it evokes, and get compliments. Come home and heat wood, occasionally Kyara/Kinam, and incense, and lather up on Oud swipes. Very personally satisfying for me.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Any further feedback on the new one? Urjani. Thanks to @james1051 for the feedback you’ve posted.- 👏 I just can’t go for these Extraits at these prices. Being an “Oudobsessive” I see $1200 as the price to get into some top tier oils. Nothing personal to Taha or Sealed Essence. Excellent experiences with both people, just my opinion.

I am starting to see a new direction this hobby is going for me. I have jumped back into some fragrances I have enjoyed in the past (Roja, Slumberhouse, Memo, Aventus some..) and am enjoying my Oud collection more because of it. Wear a few spritzes of something (more) mass appealing and spray on cloth—enjoy my smell and memories it evokes, and get compliments. Come home and heat wood, occasionally Kyara/Kinam, and incense, and lather up on Oud swipes. Very personally satisfying for me.
I love when this hobby really settles into a stretch when you feel confident and in stride with what you love.
Don’t get me wrong, the exploration part is fun too.

avo1811

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 6, 2018

I would agree its similar to malinau with less cinnamon, but still some cinnamon. Pretty nice, but for the price its an easy pass for me. Weirdly, my wife told me it smells like barbeque sauce. I tried as hard as I could to imagine that when smelling it, still not sure what shes talking about.

Shadowartisttxl

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 25, 2016
Amazing. I have 13 of them and a lot of his oud oils and attars . Which one is your favorite? I find it hard to pick one.
Oh, yeah it's probably impossible to pick one!
I love all of them for different reasons.
I think I have a top ten rather than one! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Probably Kinam Urjani, Green Kyara, Khmer Kinam, Neriko, Malinau, Kelantan, Al-Arabiya, Layali, Oud Fougere, Blu....

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
Dipped into my sample of KU again this morning. There is an understated elegance to this perfume that I really like. Lots of different notes that release one at a time and then disappear-but never shout. There is a place for fragrances like this: the office, out with family. Oudy Pleasure for me without assaulting others. Hope to squeeze one more wear out of my sample.

Blast the ridiculous price. Priced like Malinau or Layali, it would be FBW

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...