Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
I would like to reiterate how much I am enjoying LCB. It’s a great creation. Superb.

Along with my bottle Taha sent along some samples of a couple unreleased oils. Koh Kong SK, Shan SK, Khmer Klem Chan (up now), and Bentong Royal. Out of the 4 I like BR the best, but I love this style of his Oud which is more thick around the middle. Lots of smokiness and density to it with a gorgeous Malay vibe which lasts forver, like a Malay version of Suka Cita. The two Special K oils are superb as well. KK SK is the sweeter of the two but they share the similarities of all the SK oils he has done. Which is a distinct combo of condensed milk, a rooty bitterness, and that hard to describe minty note. So nice. Very addictive. Khmer Klem Chan is an oil to grab if you love the sweet powdered sugar woodiness of Cambodian Oud. It’s very nice too—a great price for a Cambodian Oud experience like this. I would have put this oil more in the $800-$900 territory. All hits, no misses here. Prob will attempt to get a bottle of Bentong Royal. I too can’t wait for the Borneo Extrait he is working on. I will be first in line—hopefully.

**** @Dothraki if you’re in the US, DM me your address, I’ll send a few swipes of Green Kyara Attar along for you to sample. Picked up 2 bottles and am almost through 1 but am happy to let you get your nose on it, AA fan to AA fan. Cheers! Z
Thanks! Mighty Awesome of you!

And yeah….LCB is incredible. I had to take a break from it today because I have been dousing myself every few hours and I can see the level dropping lol. It’s so addicting. I’ve actually grown to like the labdanum and oakmoss in there too, helps give it a little character and uniqueness.
I wonder if it tastes how it smells… 🤤

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Tested Cheikh Boheme.
Find it nice albeit not going to go for the FB.
To me - it is almost like a mix of 3 frags that is very well done.
Start is Agar Parisienne but not as smoky, and it flows into this mix of Norne and Eucris, this dark cosy a little old school barbershop. Quite dark, emerald, some might say chypre. Lasts well, gives awesome wafts.
I think Taha is on the right track gaining good blending skills, but this composition has been done before in various iterations and for way less.
If you are a fan of AA and have cash to spare - it's great buy. If your money conscious - you won't lose anything if you pass by.

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
Smeared some Kyara to Byakuden up my arms tonight. I love how natural and alive it smells. I wish I could try some of his pure oud oils because I bet they are amazing. The more time that passes the more drawn to Taha’s oud creations I become. Love the purist approach. It’s like what I would imagine the best ouds in the world would smell like (in this case with some amazingly paired sandalwood). Probably takes a lot of skill to pull that off. It’s so dang tranquilizing I just had to post about it.

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
Smeared some Kyara to Byakuden up my arms tonight. I love how natural and alive it smells. I wish I could try some of his pure oud oils because I bet they are amazing. The more time that passes the more drawn to Taha’s oud creations I become. Love the purist approach. It’s like what I would imagine the best ouds in the world would smell like (in this case with some amazingly paired sandalwood). Probably takes a lot of skill to pull that off. It’s so dang tranquilizing I just had to post about it.
I’m pumped for his Borneo fragrance that’s upcoming.

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
How would you describe a borneo…do they lean sweet or green? I’ve read by descriptions that they are dry…what do you imagine the profile to be similar to?
There’s lots of different facets of the Borneo profile. Golden, honied raspberry, purple incense, dry cedar, narcotic floral powder…it’s by far my favorite region for ouds. Some lean more purple berry, and some lean more clean and white.

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
There’s lots of different facets of the Borneo profile. Golden, honied raspberry, purple incense, dry cedar, narcotic floral powder…it’s by far my favorite region for ouds. Some lean more purple berry, and some lean more clean and white.
Awesome. Any word on this one yet?

Edit: nevermind I found it. Malinau seems to be quite different based on what I’ve read, and how you described it. I wonder if he will do a triple release like usual.

Last edited:

babyboy

Apr 16, 2022
Just emailed AA asking if there will be an attar with the next release….fingers crossed!! 🤞😁🤞
According to my information, a perfume will soon be released by him, Malinau. Have received a sample of my last Semi-Bespoke order from a few weeks ago. Smells like Malayaku with extra cinnamon.

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
According to my information, a perfume will soon be released by him, Malinau. Have received a sample of my last Semi-Bespoke order from a few weeks ago. Smells like Malayaku with extra cinnamon.
Awesome thanks! I missed Malayaku and Java… are there any other AA’s that would be comparable in scent or “vibe” to Malayaku? Is it foody from the spices? Or more like how the spices were used in Kinam Attar etc.? I have an opportunity to grab a bottle (was hoping to try Java, as long as it wasn’t like spiced coffee, foody) but missed out on a lot of AA’s releases due to price. Wish I would’ve tried the re-release of Al Jazzab.

sorry for all the questions…I’m debating grabbing something now or waiting for the next release.

babyboy

Apr 16, 2022
Awesome thanks! I missed Malayaku and Java… are there any other AA’s that would be comparable in scent or “vibe” to Malayaku? Is it foody from the spices? Or more like how the spices were used in Kinam Attar etc.? I have an opportunity to grab a bottle (was hoping to try Java, as long as it wasn’t like spiced coffee, foody) but missed out on a lot of AA’s releases due to price. Wish I would’ve tried the re-release of Al Jazzab.

sorry for all the questions…I’m debating grabbing something now or waiting for the next release.
Malayaku is for me personally a spicy, dark oud fragrance with soft floral touches.
 Has in the opening something of BBQ smoke and then develops to on of the purest oud fragrance that I know. 

It seems more like a pure oud oil with extreme durability and projection. So natural and authentic that it is addictive. For anyone who likes Malaysian Ouds, a must try.. Malayaku is an improved update of Java...

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
Malinau(straight up oud chips aroma, like Kinam Attar and Kelantan)
Fougére (super oudy, but super fresh and bright, featuring cola-woody-jungly-green wild Malaysian oud from a Kedah State jungle).

MIC
DROP!

lol. Seriously look at those descriptions. I will need to find some extra cash…anyone got a wig I can borrow? haha jk. Very excited for this release.

Also, for us Attar fans there should be an Attar release (maybe more than one?) later this year. Stoked!

To the present, wearing LCB right now. Still blown away by it. It’s also somewhat of a shapeshifter and I’m still dissecting all those invigorating ingredients in there the crazyness this man can do with oud. LCB is quite the trip.

Also, I scored a bottle of Blu! Haven’t heard much other than “it’s amazing” and “it’s Blue” but the fact that nobody can really describe it has me very curious. Heard it was quite unique. Hope I get waterfalls and blue skys of sunshine.

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
I have his Oud Fougere attar. It is great. I am guessing the new extrait will be similar. The attar I hope he makes into an extrait is Cuir Chypre. Just a great leather fragrance.
Sorry I should clarify… it’ll be a single Attar oil release. There are a few he’s working on which also might become Attars simply due to the high price of materials (where the spray would be crazy expensive like over $600). Btw… have you tried Blu? Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are after sitting with it for a while.

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
Sorry I should clarify… it’ll be a single Attar oil release. There are a few he’s working on which also might become Attars simply due to the high price of materials (where the spray would be crazy expensive like over $600). Btw… have you tried Blu? Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are after sitting with it for a while.
Blu is fantastic…it’s been on my wishlist for a while, although for some reason keeps getting pushed off.

Imagine an extremely minty/rose-ey (rose otto) Kinam Attar, minus the smouldering incense facets.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Nice,I've just come out of a similar period and it feels great.Don't think I'll be purchasing anything above 30ml ever again tbh unless its something intoxicating.
50ml is the max for me and even then its pushing it I like my 30mls and 15mls when ur collection is large and regularly rotated through it will take awhile to get through along side the fact I've kind of started loosing interest in the unending amount of FOMO reliant houses and im slowly moving away from them to houses that dont rely on such tricks (rekindled my love from prin n such) and have some houses I plan to vist after my break

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Those of you that have tried Blu…do you still like it after spending some time with it? Any similarities to other releases? Is it oud dominant?
I was looking at Blu a few weeks ago, then it sold out and I never got a sample or a bottle. Please tell us what you think of it Dothraki. I liked the description and would love to hear some thoughts on it. Thanks.

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
I was looking at Blu a few weeks ago, then it sold out and I never got a sample or a bottle. Please tell us what you think of it Dothraki. I liked the description and would love to hear some thoughts on it. Thanks.
Absolutely will do! I’ve never smelled a “blue” oud before but will give my best breakdown of impressions when it arrives…no idea what to expect but I never smelled anything from Taha that I didn’t wish I had a full bottle of…so went for it blind. lol.

50ml is the max for me and even then its pushing it I like my 30mls and 15mls
That sounds fair…

I’ll take 50ml of Kyara to Byakuden Attar please.
Blu is fantastic…it’s been on my wishlist for a while, although for some reason keeps getting pushed off.

Imagine an extremely minty/rose-ey (rose otto) Kinam Attar, minus the smouldering incense facets.
Interesting. I indulged in some Kinam Attar spray the other night and was in heaven. Still there the next day so I got to wear the drydown again haha. I sometimes have trouble though, figuring out where the oud ends and the highlighting aspects of other ingredients comes in. But the oud that is obvious to me is so good. Not oversoaked or overcooked, like a perfectly clean high quality oil. I will venture into them further as soon as I’m able to for sure.

Anyway I’m stoked for this new release and can’t wait to hear everyone’s thoughts on them!

notspendingamillion

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 2, 2018
Where is everyone getting info on new AA releases? I can't find anything. Dates? Supposedly a Borneo and fougere. Saw that upthread. Is this a Twitter or Snapchat thing or something? Official website hasn't had any info that I'd seen, now is shut down for security or something.

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
Where is everyone getting info on new AA releases? I can't find anything. Dates? Supposedly a Borneo and fougere. Saw that upthread. Is this a Twitter or Snapchat thing or something? Official website hasn't had any info that I'd seen, now is shut down for security or something.
I think mostly those other social media platforms or speaking with him. The Fougere is based on the oil released under the same name (pounding my head against the wall for somehow missing that) but he works his magic to make it work as a spray. I’m torn between the Fougere and Malinau if I can swing one in the first place.

Malinau is replicating the gently heated “super king grade” Malinau Microcarpa agarwood, similar to how Kinam Attar was replicating the gently heated Kinam.

Now, I haven’t gently heated Kinam, but if Kinam Attar was even 20% similar…I can see why people go nuts over it. KA was incredible, and I have a feeling Malinau will be too. But that Fougere… I might go rob a bank so I can get both because I just bought Blu, which should be here tomorrow. 🤩

oh btw…I see you have LCB on in your sig…that stuff is blowing my mind! So unique and addicting.

notspendingamillion

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 2, 2018
I think mostly those other social media platforms or speaking with him. The Fougere is based on the oil released under the same name (pounding my head against the wall for somehow missing that) but he works his magic to make it work as a spray. I’m torn between the Fougere and Malinau if I can swing one in the first place.

Malinau is replicating the gently heated “super king grade” Malinau Microcarpa agarwood, similar to how Kinam Attar was replicating the gently heated Kinam.

Now, I haven’t gently heated Kinam, but if Kinam Attar was even 20% similar…I can see why people go nuts over it. KA was incredible, and I have a feeling Malinau will be too. But that Fougere… I might go rob a bank so I can get both because I just bought Blu, which should be here tomorrow. 🤩

oh btw…I see you have LCB on in your sig…that stuff is blowing my mind! So unique and addicting.
Ah, yea, I don't have Instagram or Snapchat so I'm think I'm missing it. I'm gonna try for one of those Malinau's, though Borneo is not my fav oud. Any release time-frames? I think he was teasing stuff out ahead of time ala RA, if I've heard right. I'm late to this train, but so far picked up bottles of LCB, Al-Jazzab, Agar Attar, Java, and Layali. Sampled Malayuk, it was ok, Al-Arabiya was fine, I liked Khashab. LCB is great, but I think my favorite is probably Jazzab, maybe Layali. I'll be excited to be in on the opening salvo for the next round.

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
Ah, yea, I don't have Instagram or Snapchat so I'm think I'm missing it. I'm gonna try for one of those Malinau's, though Borneo is not my fav oud. Any release time-frames? I think he was teasing stuff out ahead of time ala RA, if I've heard right. I'm late to this train, but so far picked up bottles of LCB, Al-Jazzab, Agar Attar, Java, and Layali. Sampled Malayuk, it was ok, Al-Arabiya was fine, I liked Khashab. LCB is great, but I think my favorite is probably Jazzab, maybe Layali. I'll be excited to be in on the opening salvo for the next round.
No clue when release date is but hoping soon. Wow thats quite the collection! PM me if you ever want to swap out any of those 😁. I’ll be posting thoughts on Blu tomorrow as soon as it gets here. Very curious about this one. Have you tried any of Taha’s pure oud oils?

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
@Scent Detective @notspendingamillion

Trying Blu for the first time. This will be hard to describe because it’s literally my first spray…also it’s different than most of what I’ve smelled from AA, not to mention some of you have much better noses than me. But…here goes nothing lol

Blu starts off with a blast of something juicy, bright, and some earthyness (vetiver) popping in and out, but mostly sort of tart blueberry like an actual blueberry, not fully ripe. Remember this is first spray. From there it seemed like all the notes were swimming around. Within the first 30 seconds I started getting a somewhat salty oceanic vibe with….maybe sandalwood?? It was like a piece of beach wood floating in blue water on a warm sunny day after a few minutes. I would only get this sandalwood when my nose was away, up close it’s like that juicy tart blue once the earthyness subsides. Then I started noticing what I think is the oud used. I have an oud oil that has this almost terpentine like note to it. Like medicinal terpentine…sorry I’m not as well versed yet with regions and terms to describe ouds yet, but whatever that aspect is, that my Nagaland/Cambodia oud has, seems to be somewhat present in here too. It’s quite the shapeshifter and seems to have a lot of different profiles that shape and shift on ya. Lol. Very nice for someone that likes to search and discover with their nose…but also pleasant enough for the general public to be like “oooh that smells nice”. I still swear I’m getting sandalwood…it might be the oud intermingling with other stuff I don’t know but definitely smells like sandalwood to me when my nose isn’t burried to my arm. Reminds me of the sandalwood used in Musk Lave or also Ensar’s Santal Royal from a couple years ago (which I think was Mysore + Musk).

So after 4 1/2 hours I decided to check out the opening again and went for another spray. What I noticed this time sort of ”blue” my mind. I noticed something reminiscent of a certain aspect of Aquilaria Blossom after about 5-10 minutes. This smells nothing like AB at all. But there is a certain aspect of a part that I thought was awesome in AB, those tart, citrusy almost orange top notes that disappear quickly for a lot of people. This aspect I’m getting in Blu comes across as those in style, but the blue version of that accord. Into the heart they remain, but start to really shape-shift. One second it’s earthy, medicinal oud, and something like Mysore sandalwood (especially from afar, the sandalwood disappears for me up close, so maybe it’s an illusion) then the next second it’s juicy, tart blueberry. But then…it’ll smell like the cool air in the ice capped mountains.

WOW!!!!

I’m on my 3rd spray couple hours later. I can’t tell what the hell I’m smelling lol. It’s shape-shifting unlike anything I’ve ever seen. This is BRILLIANT!

I’ve never expected this sort of Experience with Agar Aura.
Mind buzzing, tranquilizing euphoria, magical oud, best on earth recreations of natural smells interpreted in a way a minimalist or purest can enjoy? Yes I do expect all of that from Taha…but a shapeshifting masterpiece of art? This is crazy. I didn’t realize it until the 2nd, then 3rd spray. I’ve only spent today with this scent, really trying to study it and I must say…. When you aren’t paying attention, it smells very very nice, pleasant, blue. But when you start and go poking around with your nose-brain, everything falls apart (in a good way) and this illusion of blue starts turning into different compositions entirely, from second to second and minute to minute.

I would say… Blue is at least 3 perfumes in one, always smelling each one in it’s entirety by itself lol. The distance of your nose plays a huge role in this I believe.

In conclusion of my first impressions of Blu…..it’s incredible. Surprising. Very very dynamic. Not what I would expect, or even want from Taha. But here it is, and it fills both cravings…the amazing natural ingredients and simplicity…and….the shapeshifting art piece to quench the thirst of a busy mind by sticking it in front of a Picasso. Well done, Taha. This is amazing.

OH, and…one more thing

YER MY BOY BLU!!!

notspendingamillion

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 2, 2018
@Scent Detective @notspendingamillion

Trying Blu for the first time. This will be hard to describe because it’s literally my first spray…also it’s different than most of what I’ve smelled from AA, not to mention some of you have much better noses than me. But…here goes nothing lol

Blu starts off with a blast of something juicy, bright, and some earthyness (vetiver) popping in and out, but mostly sort of tart blueberry like an actual blueberry, not fully ripe. Remember this is first spray. From there it seemed like all the notes were swimming around. Within the first 30 seconds I started getting a somewhat salty oceanic vibe with….maybe sandalwood?? It was like a piece of beach wood floating in blue water on a warm sunny day after a few minutes. I would only get this sandalwood when my nose was away, up close it’s like that juicy tart blue once the earthyness subsides. Then I started noticing what I think is the oud used. I have an oud oil that has this almost terpentine like note to it. Like medicinal terpentine…sorry I’m not as well versed yet with regions and terms to describe ouds yet, but whatever that aspect is, that my Nagaland/Cambodia oud has, seems to be somewhat present in here too. It’s quite the shapeshifter and seems to have a lot of different profiles that shape and shift on ya. Lol. Very nice for someone that likes to search and discover with their nose…but also pleasant enough for the general public to be like “oooh that smells nice”. I still swear I’m getting sandalwood…it might be the oud intermingling with other stuff I don’t know but definitely smells like sandalwood to me when my nose isn’t burried to my arm. Reminds me of the sandalwood used in Musk Lave or also Ensar’s Santal Royal from a couple years ago (which I think was Mysore + Musk).

So after 4 1/2 hours I decided to check out the opening again and went for another spray. What I noticed this time sort of ”blue” my mind. I noticed something reminiscent of a certain aspect of Aquilaria Blossom after about 5-10 minutes. This smells nothing like AB at all. But there is a certain aspect of a part that I thought was awesome in AB, those tart, citrusy almost orange top notes that disappear quickly for a lot of people. This aspect I’m getting in Blu comes across as those in style, but the blue version of that accord. Into the heart they remain, but start to really shape-shift. One second it’s earthy, medicinal oud, and something like Mysore sandalwood (especially from afar, the sandalwood disappears for me up close, so maybe it’s an illusion) then the next second it’s juicy, tart blueberry. But then…it’ll smell like the cool air in the ice capped mountains.

WOW!!!!

I’m on my 3rd spray couple hours later. I can’t tell what the hell I’m smelling lol. It’s shape-shifting unlike anything I’ve ever seen. This is BRILLIANT!

I’ve never expected this sort of Experience with Agar Aura.
Mind buzzing, tranquilizing euphoria, magical oud, best on earth recreations of natural smells interpreted in a way a minimalist or purest can enjoy? Yes I do expect all of that from Taha…but a shapeshifting masterpiece of art? This is crazy. I didn’t realize it until the 2nd, then 3rd spray. I’ve only spent today with this scent, really trying to study it and I must say…. When you aren’t paying attention, it smells very very nice, pleasant, blue. But when you start and go poking around with your nose-brain, everything falls apart (in a good way) and this illusion of blue starts turning into different compositions entirely, from second to second and minute to minute.

I would say… Blue is at least 3 perfumes in one, always smelling each one in it’s entirety by itself lol. The distance of your nose plays a huge role in this I believe.

In conclusion of my first impressions of Blu…..it’s incredible. Surprising. Very very dynamic. Not what I would expect, or even want from Taha. But here it is, and it fills both cravings…the amazing natural ingredients and simplicity…and….the shapeshifting art piece to quench the thirst of a busy mind by sticking it in front of a Picasso. Well done, Taha. This is amazing.

OH, and…one more thing

YER MY BOY BLU!!!
Well, I feel like that is something I'll have to get my nose on. I threw out some offers on partials I've seen for sale, but it's never stuck. Samples have also been expensive or unavailable. I didn't try super hard, as like you, I thought a blue version wasn't something that I'd be looking for from Taha. I could see it working out though, and appreciate your thoughts.

I've only tried one of his oils, it was fine. Really nice, but not mind blowing compared to others.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
I've only tried one of his oils, it was fine. Really nice, but not mind blowing compared to others.
You’ve got to sample some more of his stuff. Some of it is truly mind blowing. Suka Cita, Cintaku or Mahkota… Royal Myanma… Lao 4K. Some really special stuff. The pure oud is where it’s at with Taha imho.

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
Really enjoying the drydown of blu. It’s not as potent or loud as his other stuff but is beautiful. Like a soft gentle oudyness with some nice soft wood feel. I never saw sandalwood mentioned in Blu so if there’s none in here…there’s certainly an accord happening that makes it….a Mysore effect. Or my nose is just acting crazy today.

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
Ok so there is NO sandalwood in Blu…of any type. The creamy sandalwoodyness is partly due to the “Bruneian Microcarpa“ oud…shows just how inexperienced with these ouds I am. But regardless, it’s a creamy woodyness that from afar smells just like Mysore sandalwood is in there, which I love.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Ok so there is NO sandalwood in Blu…of any type. The creamy sandalwoodyness is partly due to the “Bruneian Microcarpa“ oud…shows just how inexperienced with these ouds I am. But regardless, it’s a creamy woodyness that from afar smells just like Mysore sandalwood is in there, which I love.
Sounds marvelous! I’m gonna have to go on the hunt for some Blu…

Latest News