Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Re: Agar Aura - Al Jazzab

I've got a million rose/ouds so had originally eliminated the idea of getting Al Jazzab in favour of the others..... but it seems that the current consensus is that rose is not that detectable or prominent? Would that be right?
Also - for those who have tried it, is there anything in Kinam besides oud?

I don’t get any rose at all in Al Jazzab. I’m sure it’s there if he said it is but, probably has an effect that isn’t translatable to a rose smell. Maybe after a few months it will poke its head out. Kinam Attar is a blend of 5 oud oils from different regions with “a few other essential oils to bridge the scent” or something to that effect.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019

So here's a question I'm going to put out to this thread before the Ensar thread. I'm getting a bigger tax return than I expected. Above the budget I've set aside, I could probably swing $1,000 in oud related spending. I'm thinking of the Agar Aura current sampler, plus samples of the perfumes when they're available. That would be about $300. Is that stupid? Should I just spring for the Koh Kong 4k 1g and figure it's the best thing in his shop right now?

And with the remainder, do I try Ensar's Royal Kinam 2.0? Or do I buy an electric burner and start getting into low heating wood chips(I've only ever smelled the Japanese ash ceremony wood burning and I can already guarantee you that I do NOT have the skill to do that)?

$1,000 doesn't actually go that far in the oud game, huh? :shocked:

SOB111

Feb 9, 2019

So here's a question I'm going to put out to this thread before the Ensar thread. I'm getting a bigger tax return than I expected. Above the budget I've set aside, I could probably swing $1,000 in oud related spending. I'm thinking of the Agar Aura current sampler, plus samples of the perfumes when they're available. That would be about $300. Is that stupid? Should I just spring for the Koh Kong 4k 1g and figure it's the best thing in his shop right now?

And with the remainder, do I try Ensar's Royal Kinam 2.0? Or do I buy an electric burner and start getting into low heating wood chips(I've only ever smelled the Japanese ash ceremony wood burning and I can already guarantee you that I do NOT have the skill to do that)?

$1,000 doesn't actually go that far in the oud game, huh? :shocked:

Its a great problem to have !! I personally wouldnt go all in on 1 or 2 items (like 1 gr of Koh Kong) unless you are certain that you know what you like... I jumped on Royal Kinam because he is currently offering it at the more affordable .25gr - and thats plenty for me.... I'd go the sample route for Agar Aura (including the perfumes), and maybe the legends sample from Ensar.... There are some amazing oud oils in the legend sample - like Purple Kinam and Oud Ahmad....

You could also wander over to the Henry Jacques thread and dive into that very elite world of perfumery and be blown away...

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019

Its a great problem to have !! I personally wouldnt go all in on 1 or 2 items (like 1 gr of Koh Kong) unless you are certain that you know what you like... I jumped on Royal Kinam because he is currently offering it at the more affordable .25gr - and thats plenty for me.... I'd go the sample route for Agar Aura (including the perfumes), and maybe the legends sample from Ensar.... There are some amazing oud oils in the legend sample - like Purple Kinam and Oud Ahmad....

I think you’re probably right, SOB. I’ve got a few of the legends in .3 size, so I’ll probably skip that but otherwise I think the Agar Aura sampler is the way to go. Do any of you have experience with heating chips on an electric burner? Is that a good rabbit hole to go down? Or are great oils just in higher league already?

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

I think you’re probably right, SOB. I’ve got a few of the legends in .3 size, so I’ll probably skip that but otherwise I think the Agar Aura sampler is the way to go. Do any of you have experience with heating chips on an electric burner? Is that a good rabbit hole to go down? Or are great oils just in higher league already?

I don’t use an electric burner but have worked out a good technique for gently heating over charcoal. I like charcoal because if I want to smoke myself out with some less expensive chips I can easily do it. Gently heating requires a little more work but is easily done too, especially with mica plates which I picked up for real cheap, super cheap. Charcoal is also great for resins and other woods. Sometimes you need to crank the heat up a little.

In my personal experience I shoot for variety. Especially since (as you already know) higher price/rarity doesn’t always mean I like it more.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

So apologies if this is obvious, but I haven’t been able to go through all this in detail yet....but are these available already, I didn’t see it on the website. Thanks

They aren’t available yet, I lucked out on grabbing some by chance. They are excellent if you love oud!

Sultan al Hindi

Feb 5, 2020

+1 to SOB's suggestion for not going all out on 1/2 oils if you're not familiar with AA style. Some of them can be a bit hit and miss depending on what profile you're after and they're not easy to get rid of either.

An electric heater shouldn't cost you more than 100-200 dollars (even lower if you can make your own https://www.kyarazen.com/build-electric-incense-heater/#).

Wood you can find from many vendors, but you'll be hard pressed to find better than what Joseph from RPP has to offer.The quality is top notch and his personalised service is second to none, so be sure to drop him an email before making any purchases.

P.S For what its worth, I think the epitome of oud is the smoke of heated chips.In fact it's the goal of most distillers to try and capture that scent in the bottle.It's just a more immersive and enjoyable experience IMO, not to mention easier on the wallet too :)

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019

Side question, i see that this thread is taking off, should i rename it and Dedicate to house of Agar Aura overall, or keep as is?

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

Ok thanks! I’ve purchased a decent amount from Taha before, but very interested in these perfumes. Great seeing all your thoughts on them, the Kinam sounds right up my alley!

Thanks. I’d say the Soryo No Kaori is the most interesting of the bunch, while Kinam was the most comforting.

Sugandha

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2019
Soryo na kaori is my fav among the 2 (haven't tried kinam attar yet). Al Jazaab is a shape shifter. Transforms from oud heavy fragrance to a mellow incensy flavor during dry down.
c7e6fec62ccb02f051dd8151f0ad21ae.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
Soryo na kaori is my fav among the 2 (haven't tried kinam attar yet). Al Jazaab is a shape shifter. Transforms from oud heavy fragrance to a mellow incensy flavor during dry down.
c7e6fec62ccb02f051dd8151f0ad21ae.jpg

Wow yours leaked really bad huh? Worse then most bottles.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Haha. No. I squeezed in an order for (multiple) samples while it was up for the short time. He sent me in the old bottles after fixing the leak issue.

Do you love them? How do they compare to his pure oud oils, even better? Is oil still his strong suit. I'm curious because they're so expensive I'd probably have to sit this out or all Dixit & Zak.

Sugandha

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2019
Do you love them? How do they compare to his pure oud oils, even better? Is oil still his strong suit. I'm curious because they're so expensive I'd probably have to sit this out or all Dixit & Zak.

Love each one of them. Just smelling kinam attar from the bottle. It's heavenly. My fav at this point is soryo. Unfortunately I can't compare them with the oils coz I haven't tried them.
One thing that I noticed with these is that they are the highest concentration extraits I've come across. (I use a lot of naturals Areej, bortnikoff, ensar, D&Z)

Last edited:

Sultan al Hindi

Feb 5, 2020
Love each one of them. Just smelling kinam attar from the bottle. It's heavenly. My fav at this point is soryo. Unfortunately I can't compare them with the oils coz I haven't tried them.
One thing that I noticed with these is these are the highest concentration extraits I've come across. (I use a lot of naturals Areej, bortnikoff, ensar, D&Z)

He said it was something like 50% which is practically unheard of in extrait form.

Sultan al Hindi

Feb 5, 2020
He said the oil concentration was 1:2... which the person replied, “50% WOW” but I think they were mistaken because a 1:2 ratio (1 part oil, 2 part alcohol) is actually 33.33% —- so I believe it’s closer to that.

Makes sense, thank you for the correction.I remember thinking 50% was quite high, especially for the price.

Last edited:

AZsmells

Jul 11, 2004

I am a huge fan of Agar Aura. I have been buying from Taha since he first started and I have to say his stuff keeps getting better. I have a large collection of his oils and have asked Taha in the past if he would make a perfume. I was super excited when he announced these new perfumes. I was able to get bottles of his initial batch. Unfortunately there were leakage problems with the bottles but Taha is fixing all of this. His customer service is excellent and he has always been more than fair.
As for the perfumes themselves they are amazing. I never tried the original attars of these fragrances but all 3 of these perfumes just blow me away. I am wearing Kinam Attar right now and I don't even know how to describe it. Just pure AA oud with a spicy twist. Super high end oud oil used in high concentration. Heavenly.
Al Jazzab I definitely smell the rose but it blends so well with the oud.
Soryo No Kaori is a beautiful hinoki/oud blend.
I am looking forward to future perfumes from Agar Aura.
I also enjoy reading everyone elses impressions. If you get a chance definitely try his high end oils. They will blow you away.
Taha is an artist in many things. Painting, calligraphy, making lattes, distilling oud oils and blending attars. Now perfumes.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
His oils and Attars are absolutely out of this world. Royals Malinau is still one of the greatest ouds I’ve ever smelled. I go through all my samples and just sniff the caps and get buzzed out of this world. There really is a difference in the way he distill his oils. His Attars are next level as well. If he makes Cuire Chypre I’ll be all over that perfume but if not I’ll still to his Attar releases. There’s something so magical about gliding a glass wand across your skin with oil. Nothing beats it. Spraying perfumes just doesn’t do it for me anymore at least not when it comes to Oud so I’m really hoping to save up for his next Attar release.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

I am a huge fan of Agar Aura. I have been buying from Taha since he first started and I have to say his stuff keeps getting better. I have a large collection of his oils and have asked Taha in the past if he would make a perfume. I was super excited when he announced these new perfumes. I was able to get bottles of his initial batch. Unfortunately there were leakage problems with the bottles but Taha is fixing all of this. His customer service is excellent and he has always been more than fair.
As for the perfumes themselves they are amazing. I never tried the original attars of these fragrances but all 3 of these perfumes just blow me away. I am wearing Kinam Attar right now and I don't even know how to describe it. Just pure AA oud with a spicy twist. Super high end oud oil used in high concentration. Heavenly.
Al Jazzab I definitely smell the rose but it blends so well with the oud.
Soryo No Kaori is a beautiful hinoki/oud blend.
I am looking forward to future perfumes from Agar Aura.
I also enjoy reading everyone elses impressions. If you get a chance definitely try his high end oils. They will blow you away.
Taha is an artist in many things. Painting, calligraphy, making lattes, distilling oud oils and blending attars. Now perfumes.

Hinoki? Is that what I’m getting that’s sort of like a spice? Soryo No Kaori might be my favorite of the 3 for its mind bending attributes.

His paintings are incredible. Extremely talented person.

Mubashar

Aug 7, 2020
I think this is the case. I went to Xerjoff boutique in Harrods on the 6th floor and we were talking to a representative of Xerjoff who mentioned that when they tried going above a certain concentration that it wouldn't spray properly. I think he mentioned that 44% wouldn't spray properly but 42% did.

avrora

Jul 29, 2020

It sort of gives me an Amouage Memoir Man vibe....worst possible way to describe something of this quality BUT it’s really hard to paint the picture otherwise.

Please stop it... MM is a favorite of mine, and I had just written off these purely based on price. Now just because of your comment I'm back in the race. Hnnghgh. Let's hope that I hate all of the new ALD:s when the samples arrive.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Samplers in this thread... do you get camphor and smoke out of all these? Seeing the video reviews that Brandon did is making me think these might not be for me. I actually don’t mind camphor and smoke but I’m certainly not going to pay that much money for something that’s heavy handed with the use of simple/cheap notes that dominate the precious ouds.

Any opinions on how present those notes are?

Sugandha

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2019
Samplers in this thread... do you get camphor and smoke out of all these? Seeing the video reviews that Brandon did is making me think these might not be for me. I actually don’t mind camphor and smoke but I’m certainly not going to pay that much money for something that’s heavy handed with the use of simple/cheap notes that dominate the precious ouds.

None of the 3 gave me camphor and smoke notes. Then again, that's the beauty/thing with perfumes. Each nose perceives it differently.

AZsmells

Jul 11, 2004

I don't smell camphor or smoke. Taha doesn't use cheap notes or ingredients. His attars are usually pretty oud heavy and so are these perfumes. Also most, maybe all of the oud oils he used in these perfumes were distilled by Taha himself.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

Not at all. Just high quality oud backed by a few clean distillations of other materials. Some ouds might have a camphoris quality though I suppose.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Great. I don’t always smell what Brandon smells but he kept saying in his first two videos: “he added camphor and smoke to help with the longevity, it’s strong but you can smell past it”. —- I started to worry like: for that kind of money, I shouldn’t have to smell past anything to get to the good stuff. So everyone in here is making me more excited for these.

I’ll probably only be able to sample for the price but it’s still nice to take part!

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Great. I don’t always smell what Brandon smells but he kept saying in his first two videos: “he added camphor and smoke to help with the longevity, it’s strong but you can smell past it”. —- I started to worry like: for that kind of money, I shouldn’t have to smell past anything to get to the good stuff. So everyone in here is making me more excited for these.

I’ll probably only be able to sample for the price but it’s still nice to take part!

I just sampled and happy with that. I find all 3 to smell of excellent, clean, purist quality but for the cost to experience I think I’d rather buy one of his Attars or just a straight up “royal” oud. When looking for a perfume I desire the multifaceted aspects of all ingredients creating unique and complex accords where you try and pick out each individual ingredient. With these it’s the opposite where it feels more like you get a very clear picture of one or two ingredients (namely the oud) and anything else in there just lends a slight hand to it. I’m going to use a strange analogy off the top of my head... if you have a perfume that’s like lemon meringue pie where you get notes of the creamy lemon filling, the lightly baked crust, buttery, whipped egg and cream... then these would be more like a fresh cut lemon sprinkled with sugar. Pure and fresh single ingredients. Definitely for a personal moment or zen type feeling. That’s my take on them anyway so take it with a grain of salt.

Latest News