Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Re: Agar Aura - Al Jazzab

What are ur impressions? Please be as detailed as possible, and if possible pull parallels. Thanks

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019

Which one first?

All of them :laugh:
Spray one at one hand, another on 2nd, and 3rd perfume on your leg. That will provide side by side comparison :thumbsup:

What was the price for this tester set?

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

Al-Jazzab

Hard to describe this one without potentially misdirecting people. Wood, bright citrusy oud. I don’t know...it’s like a lemonpine type citrus oud very dry wood but not dry enough to burn. Like the wood still has life in it and bubbles and steams if thrown on fire instead of burn. This must be the extremely high quality oud that I’m not used to. Incense. Hard to pick out the rose....just very clean, zesty, incensey, woody, clean, crisp oud. Very transparent with that wood note holding it together. It doesn’t smell like a perfume in the traditional sense. Nothing like any other house. It smells more like you took a few (like 3) precious ingredients and put them together (WHICH IS NOT a bad thing).

This stuff is meant for those looking for a meditative, cleansing, pure in its purist form, spray. I need to let this sit and macerate for a while before revisiting. I can’t imagine what it will be like in a few months or a few years!

I would bathe in this scent. Bright and early in the morning, fresh out of the shower...just splash it all over my face and arms and chest. It’s so clean and bright, invigorating yet calming.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

Just tried 1 spray of Soryo No Kaori

I can’t really describe this one. First 5 minutes so far and I can only say this...

Smells of pure unadulterated natural, exotic, majestic earthly ingredients. I can’t really explain it. As the minutes pass, I’m getting a earthy, root-like scent and some spicyness. Overall think cumin...with caution. When I breathe in a little heavier through my nose and dig down past the earthy spicy, err..more rooty scent...I pick up a slight mentholish medicinal quality. With a very faint sweetness, not sweet but...lack of a better word.

These are a quality of ingredient new to my nose. So please keep that in mind. I’ve never smelled a $1200 per gram oud. This one is very medicinal to my nose, in such a mind numbing way. It’s like the world disappears when inhaling.

I would apply this to my bare chest in heavy doses and meditate with Himalayan singing bowls (if you don’t know what those are, go YouTube it right now!)

This stuff is not perfume. Perfume is man-made. This is something else.

ben805

Banned
Apr 11, 2019

I can’t really describe this one. First 5 minutes so far and I can only say this...

Smells of pure unadulterated natural, exotic, majestic earthly ingredients. I can’t really explain it. As the minutes pass, I’m getting a earthy, root-like scent and some spicyness. Overall think cumin...with caution. When I breathe in a little heavier through my nose and dig down past the earthy spicy, err..more rooty scent...I pick up a slight mentholish medicinal quality. With a very faint sweetness, not sweet but...lack of a better word.

These are a quality of ingredient new to my nose. So please keep that in mind. I’ve never smelled a $1200 per gram oud. This one is very medicinal to my nose, in such a mind numbing way. It’s like the world disappears when inhaling.

I would apply this to my bare chest in heavy doses and meditate with Himalayan singing bowls (if you don’t know what those are, go YouTube it right now!)

Based on the description of the scent, for some reason i'm getting a vivid mental picture of being transported to places like these lol

monte-palace-hotel-azores-interior-overgrowth.jpg

wood.jpg

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

Based on the description of the scent, for some reason i'm getting a vivid mental picture of being transported to places like these lol

View attachment 133488

View attachment 133489

Yes! Now add a stream, Moss growing up the rocks, exotic flowers here and there (not that I’m smelling flowers but just that they would be there). I’m in another place, and it’s beautiful!

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

It sort of gives me an Amouage Memoir Man vibe....worst possible way to describe something of this quality BUT it’s really hard to paint the picture otherwise.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019

Hmm...all 3 are different enough. I guess it would depend on my mood. I think Kinam Attar will be favored by most but I really like all 3. Kinam to me smells a lot like heating Agarwood chips.

Interesting that he made sprays out of three things that really sound more like contemplative Attars than “perfumes” — I wonder what the thinking was there?

ben805

Banned
Apr 11, 2019

How's the performance of these stuff? I would imagine they sit pretty close to the skin similar to attars yea?

Sultan al Hindi

Feb 5, 2020

Interesting that he made sprays out of three things that really sound more like contemplative Attars than “perfumes” — I wonder what the thinking was there?

Taha released these in attar form a few years ago.

I guess with the popularity of brands like Areej and Bortnikoff who were using oud in extraits, it makes sense why he's entered that market.

If these extraits are a success, peeps are in for a real treat as some of his best attars are yet to make a comeback!

Sultan al Hindi

Feb 5, 2020

Thank you for your thoughts dude, really appreciate it.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

How's the performance of these stuff? I would imagine they sit pretty close to the skin similar to attars yea?

Hard to say since I couldn’t take my nose off of it long enough to find out. I did notice when I stepped outside I could smell it throughout the air like the fragrant molecules in my nose were brought back to life. This only happens with certain naturals for me. I’m sure others would smell it, even the one spray, but my nose was digging in the whole time.

Like a filet mignon, you don’t add much, if anything, to these types of ingredients. I think the point is to showcase these exquisite ouds. I could be wrong but I think that’s what he was going for. For me, if a fragrance doesn’t invoke some sort of contemplative experience I usually find them boring. I wouldn’t even say these are contemplative scents because they sort of take over your entire mood and thought process and put you in a relaxed, meditative state.

It’s like an incense session that you can take with you and enjoy anywhere at any time. Like gently heating the best sandalwoods and agarwoods you’ve ever smelled. Just pure bliss. Antidepressant, anti anxiety, zen inducing enhancement to state of mind.

Sugandha

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2019

I find the performance to be outstanding. Just applied one spray of soryo on my hand and the next morning I can still get the dry down (albeit as a body scent).

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

I find the performance to be outstanding. Just applied one spray of soryo on my hand and the next morning I can still get the dry down (albeit as a body scent).

Are you picking up any rose in Al Jazzab? I had a hard time trying to pick up any rose.

Sugandha

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2019

Are you picking up any rose in Al Jazzab? I had a hard time trying to pick up any rose.
Not at all. For me, Al jazaab was oud heavy to begin with. (Almost like phenyl intense, but in a very good way).

Then mellows down to a zen like fragrance as you described above.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020

Taha released these in attar form a few years ago.

I guess with the popularity of brands like Areej and Bortnikoff who were using oud in extraits, it makes sense why he's entered that market.

If these extraits are a success, peeps are in for a real treat as some of his best attars are yet to make a comeback!

Cuir Chypre is probably my favorite leather Attar of all time. It actually beats out SLA/EO1 in my opinion so it’ll be interesting to see if he brings it back. Have you tried Cuir Chypre?

Sultan al Hindi

Feb 5, 2020

Cuir Chypre is probably my favorite leather Attar of all time. It actually beats out SLA/EO1 in my opinion so it’ll be interesting to see if he brings it back. Have you tried Cuir Chypre?

Cool.I'm not a fan of chypres so never bothered to try it.

If its better than SLA then I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019

Hard to say since I couldn’t take my nose off of it long enough to find out. I did notice when I stepped outside I could smell it throughout the air like the fragrant molecules in my nose were brought back to life. This only happens with certain naturals for me. I’m sure others would smell it, even the one spray, but my nose was digging in the whole time.

Like a filet mignon, you don’t add much, if anything, to these types of ingredients. I think the point is to showcase these exquisite ouds. I could be wrong but I think that’s what he was going for. For me, if a fragrance doesn’t invoke some sort of contemplative experience I usually find them boring. I wouldn’t even say these are contemplative scents because they sort of take over your entire mood and thought process and put you in a relaxed, meditative state.

It’s like an incense session that you can take with you and enjoy anywhere at any time. Like gently heating the best sandalwoods and agarwoods you’ve ever smelled. Just pure bliss. Antidepressant, anti anxiety, zen inducing enhancement to state of mind.

I hear what you're saying. Just sounds like something I'd rather have as an attar, that's all. If it's just for me, I'm not keen on losing sprays into the air.

To extend the Filet Mignon comparison, I wouldn't chop it up and put it on a bun. ;-)

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

I hear what you're saying. Just sounds like something I'd rather have as an attar, that's all. If it's just for me, I'm not keen on losing sprays into the air.

To extend the Filet Mignon comparison, I wouldn't chop it up and put it on a bun. ;-)

These would be amazing Attars!

Sugandha

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2019

I wonder about this too. Haven't tried these in attar form. Am sure they are amazing.

These sprays are so heavy in the oil content that I'm spraying them very close to body. Also because it is expensive for me :)

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020

I agree. I’m starting to like Attars more than spray format these days at least when it comes to Oud. I feel like all my favorite fragrances smell better in Attar format and perform better. The simplicity of an Attar to allow the Oud to shine with supporting notes translates way better with a swipe rather than a spray. I think the demand for Oud distillers to create perfumes is pushing some of these guys into unfamiliar territory and I think I’d rather see the focus on what they do best rather than jumping into the ultra niche areas where competition is hella fierce.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020

Cool.I'm not a fan of chypres so never bothered to try it.

If its better than SLA then I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

It’s not really a Chypre as there’s nothing in it that would even invoke the Chypre style. Aside from the opening, Cuir Chypre and SLA dry down almost identical except I like the Oud in Cuir Chypre better than SLA. The ambergris is slightly smoother as well. It’s almost like Taha created his own version of SLA depending on which one came first. Either way they’re almost identical.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

Just sounds like something I'd rather have as an attar, that's all.

I agree. I’m starting to like Attars more than spray format these days at least when it comes to Oud. I feel like all my favorite fragrances smell better in Attar format and perform better. The simplicity of an Attar to allow the Oud to shine with supporting notes translates way better with a swipe rather than a spray. I think the demand for Oud distillers to create perfumes is pushing some of these guys into unfamiliar territory and I think I’d rather see the focus on what they do best rather than jumping into the ultra niche areas where competition is hella fierce.

I agree, and these would be amazing Attars, however..I would like to see [B/]more[B/] of these oud distillers making Attars get pushed into unfamiliar territory and try stuff they haven’t before. This is how great new things happen and what we need are more Dixit & Zaks, ALD’s, Ensars etc. which will only come from distillers and blenders stepping into unfamiliar territory. There are some mixes that just shine brighter in perfume form...or just a different experience altogether (SLA / EO1) for example. I’m extremely happy that we are starting to build enough demand for these precious ingredients in perfumery which has mostly been a thing of the past.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020

I agree, and these would be amazing Attars, however..I would like to see [B/]more[B/] of these oud distillers making Attars get pushed into unfamiliar territory and try stuff they haven’t before. This is how great new things happen and what we need are more Dixit & Zaks, ALD’s, Ensars etc. which will only come from distillers and blenders stepping into unfamiliar territory. There are some mixes that just shine brighter in perfume form...or just a different experience altogether (SLA / EO1) for example. I’m extremely happy that we are starting to build enough demand for these precious ingredients in perfumery which has mostly been a thing of the past.

The main issue I have with Ensar though is that he only makes perfume version of Attars and so far it seems that Agar Aura is doing the same. Dixit and Zak at least have a special weapon in that Dixit seems to be focused on chemical engineering and actual French perfumery which gives them an advantage to soften up Zakir’s Attar work with Agarwood Assam. Outside of that though, I’m starting to feel like Attars should be Attars. Sultan Pasha seems to be the only one right now who can successfully bridge the gap with creativity, masterful blending, and tradition without sacrificing quality. Maybe in a few more years I’ll jump back into these guys pushing perfumes and hopefully something will change. For now I’ll focus on collecting Attars and oils from them.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013

The main issue I have with Ensar though is that he only makes perfume version of Attars and so far it seems that Agar Aura is doing the same. Dixit and Zak at least have a special weapon in that Dixit seems to be focused on chemical engineering and actual French perfumery which gives them an advantage to soften up Zakir’s Attar work with Agarwood Assam. Outside of that though, I’m starting to feel like Attars should be Attars. Sultan Pasha seems to be the only one right now who can successfully bridge the gap with creativity, masterful blending, and tradition without sacrificing quality. Maybe in a few more years I’ll jump back into these guys pushing perfumes and hopefully something will change. For now I’ll focus on collecting Attars and oils from them.

It’s hard for me to decide which I like better. For instance SLA is one of the most amazing Attars, but I absolutely love EO1 and consider them to perform differently and to satisfy different moods enough to feel the need for both. I wish I could get into Sultan Pasha but unfortunately I just don’t like anything he’s done.

On the flip side...I could see Taha’s perfumes turning those onto oud and Attars that wouldn’t normally buy an oil, albeit a small minority if buying something this expensive. I hope to see more perfumes, more Attars, more ouds, more animalics, more everything! Looking forward to hear other’s thoughts on these hypnotic blends!

SOB111

Feb 9, 2019

I've got a million rose/ouds so had originally eliminated the idea of getting Al Jazzab in favour of the others..... but it seems that the current consensus is that rose is not that detectable or prominent? Would that be right?
Also - for those who have tried it, is there anything in Kinam besides oud?

Latest News