Aeon 001

FumeHood

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 6, 2011
Nice! Sounds really spectacular. I love smokey vetivers. It's probably just me, but I have a problem with the concept of highly limited fragrances in the obvious case that, if I love it, I will never be able to purchase again. So, safer not to smell this one. Let us know your thoughts when you can.

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
Nice! Sounds really spectacular. I love smokey vetivers. It's probably just me, but I have a problem with the concept of highly limited fragrances in the obvious case that, if I love it, I will never be able to purchase again. So, safer not to smell this one. Let us know your thoughts when you can.

Better to have loved and lost... :)

Blind buys are rarely a good idea, but it's fun to roll the dice sometimes.

Zephyr1973

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 10, 2015
I Blind purchased Hiram Green's Voyage and was so crazy about the limited release, I purchased a back-up. Blind buys are not always a bad thing. ;) I would have purchased this one, but I need to have some more money in my 'fume account to justify it :) I salute you for this excellent purchase!

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
Any experienced members have comments?

I've only found that one review I linked to in the first post... not sure anyone got this before the reviewer, who posted only a couple days ago.

Anyway, luckyscent already shipped it so I look forward to receiving it in a few days and I'll post a review.

thebeck

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 25, 2007
I sure don't have the balls to blind buy, but I did order a sample as usual. I'll find out Monday what this Aeon 001 is all about.

I also won't get trapped by a politically correct reviewer who's worried about stepping on someones toes.

Last edited:

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
I hope you're aware that this reviewer gives a thumbs-up to at least 98% of the fragrances he reviews.

His review had little to nothing to do with my order, but it was nice to hear his experience trying it. There were 50 bottles sent to the US so hopefully I'll be able to re-sell with minimal loss if needed. I ordered a sample so I wouldn't have to open the packaging in order to try it. I also realize there's a 99% chance I will sell it after trying it as I'm very picky and have a tiny "collection". I'm usually not into gambling.... not sure wtf I was thinking to be honest... :)

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
I sure don't have the balls to blind buy, but I did order a sample as usual. I'll find out Monday what this Aeon 001 is all about.

I also won't get trapped by a politically correct reviewer who's worried about stepping on someones toes.

You must live nearby to get mail so quickly... I'm looking at a Wednesday delivery but UPS is 1 day late half the time...

Hopefully this will be a good vetiver, I like the note but haven't found a vetiver fragrance I really like.

Zephyr1973

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 10, 2015
You must live nearby to get mail so quickly... I'm looking at a Wednesday delivery but UPS is 1 day late half the time...

Hopefully this will be a good vetiver, I like the note but haven't found a vetiver fragrance I really like.

I know this may sound odd, but have you tried Book by Commodity yet? It's one of the better vetivers I think. :)

Trebor

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 8, 2006
His review had little to nothing to do with my order, but it was nice to hear his experience trying it.
Fair enough but, with a reviewer as diplomatic as he is, I wouldn't bother wasting my time reading about his experiences. To me, that acute level of diplomacy equates to hot air - nothingness.

Even my imagination, going by the official press information, would give me a better impression than his insubstantial words.

Btw, I ordered my sample a week ago.

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
I know this may sound odd, but have you tried Book by Commodity yet? It's one of the better vetivers I think. :)

I have not, thanks for the suggestion!

Fair enough but, with a reviewer as diplomatic as he is, I wouldn't bother wasting my time reading about his experiences. To me, that acute level of diplomacy equates to hot air - nothingness.

Even my imagination, going by the official press information, would give me a better impression than his insubstantial words.

Btw, I ordered my sample a week ago.

I hear you, the thing I found valuable was his description of how the scent progresses... I really like white indolic florals but I'm not comfortable wearing a fragrance where they are very prominent... of course it also depends on the other notes but with smoke and vetiver being the main focus I don't think it's going to come off as extremely feminine. At least I hope not!

Post up your impressions when you get your sample...

Also, I was just thinking how difficult it must be to review perfumes. The experience is so subjective it would be hard for me to really bash a fragrance as being bad... I can say I don't prefer it, and some critiques could be made of the structure and composition, but in the end it's always just one person's opinion. There are real human being making this stuff and I'd feel bad for bashing their work unless it really deserved it. Like Molecule 01, etc... this is true BS imo, but some people love it.

Last edited:

Trebor

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 8, 2006
I hear you, the thing I found valuable was his description of how the scent progresses... I really like white indolic florals but I'm not comfortable wearing a fragrance where they are very prominent... of course it also depends on the other notes but with smoke and vetiver being the main focus I don't think it's going to come off as extremely feminine. At least I hope not!

Post up your impressions when you get your sample...
Okay, so you were more curious about its evolution. Fair enough. :smiley:

FIF are taking their time with the order, but will post my thoughts here as soon as I get it.

Although I'm more into vetiver essential oils than vetiver fragrances, it does sound very interesting.

sunny82

Basenotes Junkie
May 17, 2014
Not that it's terribly important, but the bottle is gorgeous. Smoky vetiver? If I could afford to, I would probably blind buy also.

thebeck

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 25, 2007

I usually get Luckyscent orders in two days, but since it's MLK Day today I'll get my sample of Aeon Tuesday. By the way I have done some Blind Buys in the past with nearly everyone being a mistake. Hence my reluctance to to it again. Like you said, just take a percentage hit and sell here on Basenotes. I have done that many times. I hope this turns out to be the vetiver you're seeking. I know I'm looking forward to sampling myself.

Ever since I ran out of my beloved Turtle Vetiver Exercise 1, I have not found a vetiver to takes it place.

Last edited:

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
I usually get Luckyscent orders in two days, but since it's MLK Day today I'll get my sample of Aeon Tuesday. By the way I have done some Blind Buys in the past with nearly everyone being a mistake. Hence my reluctance to to it again. Like you said, just take a percentage hit and sell here on Basenotes. I have done that many times. I hope this turns out to be the vetiver you're seeking. I know I'm looking forward to sampling myself.

Ever since I ran out of my beloved Turtle Vetiver Exercise 1, I have not found a vetiver to takes it place.

It's not an easy note to tame, no doubt.. the pure EOs are kind of prickly, or sharp-edged. Not really a super easy thing to make smell pleasant as the main note and too many use too much force to do it.

The thought that they might be sold out by the time I got the sample made it too much of a temptation. But hey, it might be god's own vetiver and the price will go up 10x after it sells out? :) Realistically though, I probably should have just bought lottery tickets.

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
This is almost like a niche version of vintage Eau Sauvage with vetiver instead of oakmoss and a nice amber base.

More thoughts later tonight... I like it but the full bottle was missing and it looks like it was leaking inside the envelope and got thrown out. :( Luckyscent shipped in a bubble envelope, not a box! BAD Luckyscent, lol...

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
Tthe full bottle was missing and it looks like it was leaking inside the envelope and got thrown out. :( Luckyscent shipped in a bubble envelope, not a box! BAD Luckyscent, lol...
Whoa, that's insane! Looking at the pic on the website, I was thinking that it appeared a bit fragile. Either way, though, I've never seen LS ship a bottle in an envelope instead of a box. Wow...

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
Whoa, that's insane! Looking at the pic on the website, I was thinking that it appeared a bit fragile. Either way, though, I've never seen LS ship a bottle in an envelope instead of a box. Wow...

Yeah, I was thinking the same about the bottle...

It turns out Luckyscent did ship in a box but it broke/leaked so UPS threw it away and repackaged the samples and packing slip in an envelope.

So now there are 332 bottles of Aeon 001... :)

As for the fragrance, I'm just trying it on my skin and the opening is pretty wild, at this point it doesn't resemble Eau Sauvage at all. The packing slip, which was soaked, had a vibe pretty similar to ES with some differences of course. Right now it's a whirling kaleidoscope of florals, vetiver, smoke, spice, bergemot/lemon and amber on my arm. It's very strong in projection and sillage in the opening. Really nice so far, it's a beautiful scent! So far I'm keeping it.. :)

thebeck

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 25, 2007
I find it interesting that they're calling this a vetiver frag. To my nose this is all about labdanum. It's only slightly smokey which is a plus. The florals tame it down just right for a very nice blend. I ordered two samples and will enjoy them for what they're worth, but owning a bottle or even a decant doesn't interest me.

The bottle is outstanding, and I'm still looking forward to any new releases. I think if the scent was constructed to match the bottle, we would have a near masterpiece. Maybe that should have been the brief - MAKE THIS SCENT SMELL AS GOOD AS THIS BOTTLE LOOKS!

That's what happening here. You see that fantastic bottle and you want it to smell great. You try and convince yourself it's great, but in the end it's just another nice amber scent with a price tag that doesn't match the contents. I think most of you know I don't hesitate to spend $600.00 on a scent I feel is something I can't live without, so in the end it's not about the cost that turns me off - it's the high cost for just ordinary juice that bothers me.

I only get vetiver in the top notes, not in the heart or base notes. If there is vetiver there, it's barely perceivable. After 20 minutes in I get tons of amber and the amber persists until the end.

THIS IS AN AMBER SCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - to my nose anyway...

Dorje123 has some different thoughts on Aeon. Looking forward to other samplers' thoughts too.

Last edited:

Trebor

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 8, 2006
I find it interesting that they're calling this a vetiver frag. To my nose this is all about labdanum. It's only slightly smokey which is a plus. The florals tame it down just right for a very nice blend. I ordered two samples and will enjoy them for what they're worth, but owning a bottle or even a decant doesn't interest me.

THIS IS AN AMBER SCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL! I appreciate your brutal honesty. :smiley:

Still waiting for my sample...

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
Interesting, this is definitely NOT an amber scent on my skin. It's there for sure, labdanum along with some lemony frankincense. I think there's also bergamot and lemon, but it's hard to say as frankincense can also smell like this and the citrus lasts a long time. Probably both, with the citrus fading relatively quickly and the lemony aspect of frankincense lingering on.

On me, this is an ever-changing fragrance that seems different from moment to moment. I would call it a Vetiver fragrance, vetiver is the core, the heart of the fragrance with everything else complimentary to it, so in that way it is very vetiver-centric although the different facets continually shift one's focus from one aspect of the vetiver's character to another. One might pick up a green grassy citrus, or smoky white florals, at times I noticed the salty/earthy aspects of vetiver. The amber note is ever-present so I can see how thebeck could see it as an amber, but for me, it's in the background and acting as a base while the vetiver, citrus, smoke and white florals are the heart. There is also a musk in here, fairly subtle and only slightly animalic. Not a white laundry musk but not too dirty either.

On feel or vibe, this has a lightness to it that is reminiscent of Eau Sauvage, with an overdose of hedione creating that indolic, watery feel. But the amber gives it more body and the oakmoss is replaced by vetiver. I'd also consider this similar in feel to some of Etat Libre d'Orange and Bruno Fazzolari fragrances. In fact, the vetiver here, and the entire fragrance is also reminiscent of Lampblack. This is a lot like a summery version of Lampblack, instead of Lampblack's darkness you get summery, bright frankincense/citrus and white floral notes.

This isn't a fragrance that has notions of "natural is better" and while it has a rich, complex smell and some quality ingredients were obviously used, it's also unapologetically synthetic in a similar way to Bruno Fazzolari's line or Antoine Lie's work for ELO. My guess would be one of these two for the perfumer and it's really hard to choose which would be my first choice, this seems similar to Lampblack but also has elements of Tom of FInland and some other ELOs.

As far as whether this is a keeper... I don't know. In a way it's super impressive and artistic, unique and offbeat, constantly entertaining. On the other hand it's primarily synthetic and imo a fair price would be about what ELO or Fazzolari charge, but of course this is a limited edition and after 333 are sold that's it... and some breakage :). So the production needs to make more money and the price is the price. It's VERY different from fragrances I tend to buy and wear, that's for sure. I'll have to go through the sample and see what I think... One thing is for sure, if you hate buying a perfume that doesn't perform this won't be an issue. It's VERY strong and projection, silliage and longevity are all excellent.

Part of the reason I blind-buy this one is because it is limited and also Aeon's first release, if this was a dud the whole concept might not make it very far. I'd consider this an excellent introduction and it will be interesting to see what they come up with next.

Last edited:

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
Dorje123, could you please elaborate on it being synthetic-smelling?

Not in a bad way, it's intentional in the style of Fazzolari or ELO... unconventional notes that are reminiscent of man-made things instead of natural things, or notes that are clearly synthetic and not trying to masquerade as a natural ingredient. It's hard for me to put my finger on it exactly in this fragrance but it does remind me of Room 237 a bit with it's vinyl curtain and clean bathroom accords.. not that these are present in 001, but the style seems somewhat similar.

Trebor

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 8, 2006
Not in a bad way, it's intentional in the style of Fazzolari or ELO... unconventional notes that are reminiscent of man-made things instead of natural things, or notes that are clearly synthetic and not trying to masquerade as a natural ingredient. It's hard for me to put my finger on it exactly in this fragrance but it does remind me of Room 237 a bit with it's vinyl curtain and clean bathroom accords.. not that these are present in 001, but the style seems somewhat similar.
Okay, thanks for letting me know. Sounds very intriguing...

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
After a shower and fresh application it's reminding a bit of ELO's Jasmin et Cigarette done by Antoine Maisondieu who has also done CdG fragrances. I'd put him up as a possibility for perfumer behind Aeon 001 as well.

Alfredo86

Jul 29, 2012
I ordered two samples and will enjoy them for what they're worth, but owning a bottle or even a decant doesn't interest me. [...]

You see that fantastic bottle and you want it to smell great. You try and convince yourself it's great, but in the end it's just another nice amber scent with a price tag that doesn't match the contents. I think most of you know I don't hesitate to spend $600.00 on a scent I feel is something I can't live without, so in the end it's not about the cost that turns me off - it's the high cost for just ordinary juice that bothers me.

My thoughts exactly, and I didn't even enjoy it as much as you did. I tried it yesterday at the Scent Bar. The opening is deceivingly impressive but at the end it turns out to be a synthetic-smelling amber-vetiver with an unpleasant indoor swimming pool accord (albeit with some nice turns and changes that distinguish it from a generic supermarket scent, granted). I wouldn't wear this if it cost 3 times less, and like thebeck here, I would pay $600 for a fragrance if I thought it was worth it, but this one isn't. There are other niche fragrances that cost less and blow this one out of the water (think all of the Papillon, many of the Lutens, Bogue's Maai...).

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
My thoughts exactly, and I didn't even enjoy it as much as you did. I tried it yesterday at the Scent Bar. The opening is deceivingly impressive but at the end it turns out to be a synthetic-smelling amber-vetiver with an unpleasant indoor swimming pool accord (albeit with some nice turns and changes that distinguish it from a generic supermarket scent, granted). I wouldn't wear this if it cost 3 times less, and like thebeck here, I would pay $600 for a fragrance if I thought it was worth it, but this one isn't. There are other niche fragrances that cost less and blow this one out of the water (think all of the Papillon, many of the Lutens, Bogue's Maai...).

Eh, Maai is the king of deceivingly impressive openings, that fragrance falls apart in 30 minutes. I love Anubis but it's a skin scent in under an hour... Salome is just kind of nasty and strange smelling with musks that are metallic and obviously synthetic. IMO, this is at least on par with Bogue and Papillon, lots better if you value a fragrance with decent silliage and longevity.

This won't be for everyone, maybe not for me either, but it's one of the most dynamic and ever-changing fragrances I've ever tried. The skill in composition and the ingenuity involved should at least be recognized, this is not some amateur effort. People who enjoy fragrances like Fazzolari and ELO will love this.

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
After trying a couple Fazzolari, ELO and CdG samples I'm going to stick with Bruno Fazzolari as the nose for Aeon 001.

It's like a much more complex and stronger version of Lampblack. I get some of the same notes, the vetiver, slightly powdery lemon/citrus, a little resin/amber, maybe vinyl. If this is the case, it's like Lampblack taken to another level, there are many more notes and the fragrance constantly shifts and changes. It's like a fragrant rollercoaster and is somewhat addictive! I still haven't decided on keeping the bottle though, it's challenging for me in the sense the white florals and slight powder notes lean a bit feminine.

But I have to say the quality is very good, better imo vs the above comparisons in ingredient quality, composition and sheer entertainment value. It's also very potent!

Dorje123

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2011
I got the bottle in safely, it has a lot of ingredients listed on the label, some were a big surprise!

DSC09126_zpsvnd38x4a.jpg

sjg3839

Basenotes Institution
Aug 21, 2012
Got a sample today from Luckyscent. I just put a few swipes on my wrist. Got an earthy wood or vetiver with a few light spices in the background. I also get a floral note in this. Gives off a light soapy vibe IMO. Quality ingredients in this one. Reminds me of something, but i can't put my finger on it. Will have to wear for a full day to get a better take on it.

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
Although I don't know if it was figured out sooner, but Luca Turin's most recent blog post gives you all a good idea of the secret nose behind Aeon 001 ;)

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
I tried this several times and it feels very much like a masculinized version of Maai (unsurprisingly!).
I was actually surprised that people didn't cotton on sooner. The first time I smelled it, I made an instant connection to Maai. Having said that, it does come off like a departure to me despite a similar structure and some signature moves. His Gardelia felt more Maai-esque overall I thought.

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News