About Muscone

mkturker

May 11, 2014
Hi everybody, i obtained a little amount of muscone as a sample and tested on my skin. But however i read lots of text about Muscone, i could't find Muscone powerfully as i read. Even i smelled it's odor hardly. Because its very sharp but not animalistic. At the same time i obtained timbersilk, grisalva, helvetolide and habanolide. Muscone is more and more expensive than these ones (hevetolide, habanolide, ambrettolide etc.) but i think they are diffusing same(i think) and cheaper.

I wonder, is it best in blends or can show its performance in blends? Or must i dilute it in alcohol at % 1.

Actually i wanted it from my supplier for using mix it with other musky notes helvetolide, habanolide and exaltone.

I want to get warm white musk.

What do you think about muscone, its diffusing and odor?

Tim Cooper

Jun 7, 2015
You could try applying it to an item of clothing. It is absorbed by the skin quite quickly I believe. Dilution is helpful also in my experience.

mkturker

May 11, 2014
You could try applying it to an item of clothing. It is absorbed by the skin quite quickly I believe. Dilution is helpful also in my experience.

If so, we must use it in a perfume while it is a part of mixture. In everywhere lots of comments say that it is very powerfull but -as you say and after from now i think so- it is absorbed quickly and can not smell easily.

We all know that muscone is wide-spread using material in perfume industry and very expensive.If it was not so powerfull, industry wouldn't use it for years.

thank you for your quick response @Tim Cooper

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Muscone is not a material with topnotes.
It is a four to six week evaporative material.
And, some people don't smell all musks equally, or at all.

There are a couple of musks that I can't smell yet.

mkturker

May 11, 2014

As you and Tim Cooper mentioned,if it lasts four to six week, of course skin will absorbe it and we can’t smell it before it was absorbed and while diffusing.

And normally it can help as a fixator and maybe can work as a warming musk agent but I understood that it musn’t use for only smelling musky note.

Of course it will give an effect on musk note but can’t give same effect alone.

But if so,what do you think for exaltone about warming the musk note?

Bill Roberts

Mar 1, 2013
Try it and see, it's worth having, I would not use the word warming but that doesn't mean you couldn't.

That said, Exaltolide sees a lot more use than Exaltone.

Tim Cooper

Jun 7, 2015
But if so,what do you think for exaltone about warming the musk note?

I think exaltone fits that bill; more powdery than warming to my nose but a very elegant musk. Similar to civettone to my nose and a lot cheaper than muscone or civettone.

mkturker

May 11, 2014
Try it and see, it's worth having, I would not use the word warming but that doesn't mean you couldn't.

That said, Exaltolide sees a lot more use than Exaltone.

How a nice to learning lots of things from this forum and its participants :coolold:

I didn’t use exaltone yet but i have a little as powder.But before using all of my materials i smell and i wonder how they are smelling.As mentioned above muscone is so.But at the same time i smelled exaltone and it is smelling more animalistic, warmer and darker than muscone.But as i said it is now solid and i didn’t dilute it with anything.Maybe (and i hope) it will diffuse more powerfully when diluted with alcohol or others but i think it smells so good.

I had thought to use exaltone or muscone alternative of each other before i have had them,but now i see and experiment by your comments.

Now i am planning to use helvetolide for top note of musk,habanolide for sweet effect and exaltone for warming effect together and as a mixture.And of course timbersilk will give them more warmth and change the direction of musk to a perfume.

Maybe it will be confusing and not be about topic but i think to use these mixture:Grisalva,timbersilk,helvetolide,habanolide,exaltone and hedione.

I used iso e super,ambroxan and helvetolide mixture before and it was smelling wonderfull but not powerfull.Now i think the new mixture will smell richer,powerfull and smart

Ferntim

Apr 14, 2020

Can you tell me which are the ones you can‘t smell?

Latest News