AbdesSalaam Attar / La Via del Profumo - official fragrance discussion thread

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Spot on. Tobacco is definitely the star in here. A fragrance made for the old corridors of power IMO.

So many fragrances ride the line of what’s considered unisex whereasTabac to my nose is truly masculine in every sense of the word. I don’t think there’s any room for blurred lines here either. A woman could totally pull this off but she’d have to be wearing a leather jacket and studded stilettos.

hoschhti

Nov 9, 2011
Folks, a new perfume is coming!!!

As a teaser here's the official description of "Cuore di Napoli" / "The Heart of Naples":

THE HEART OF NAPLES

(Under Vesuvius)

the heart of Naples is its spirit, it is a mental attitude, a faith, a language, music, a yearning for love, bravado and coexistence in the presence of the volcano.

Putting the spirit of Naples into a bottle means capturing its heart and then liberating it every time it is opened, like the genie from Aladdin's lamp.

I bottled the lemon fields, the sea and the smoke of Vesuvius, the hemp that grows under the volcano, the amaretti* and the ineffable sweetness of the romantic love that is the motor of the city.

The Heart of Naples does not smell of the city but rather is the aromatic emanation of its spirit, a scent of freedom that is perceived as soon as you approach it.

The scent of Naples is in the image of its people, exuberant, joyful, rebellious, intense but light, passionate and romantic.

Those who are Napolitano in their hearts, even without knowing it, will fall in love with this scent.

*amaretti: Napoli soft Almond biscuits

Last edited:

Sultan al Hindi

Feb 5, 2020
Folks, a new perfume is coming!!!

As a teaser here's the official description of "Cuore di Napoli" / "The Heart of Naples":

THE HEART OF NAPLES

(Under Vesuvius)

the heart of Naples is its spirit, it is a mental attitude, a faith, a language, music, a yearning for love, bravado and coexistence in the presence of the volcano.

Putting the spirit of Naples into a bottle means capturing its heart and then liberating it every time it is opened, like the genie from Aladdin's lamp.

I bottled the lemon fields, the sea and the smoke of Vesuvius, the hemp that grows under the volcano, the amaretti* and the ineffable sweetness of the romantic love that is the motor of the city.

The Heart of Naples does not smell of the city but rather is the aromatic emanation of its spirit, a scent of freedom that is perceived as soon as you approach it.

The scent of Naples is in the image of its people, exuberant, joyful, rebellious, intense but light, passionate and romantic.

Those who are Napolitano in their hearts, even without knowing it, will fall in love with this scent.

*amaretti: Napoli soft Almond biscuits

Super, thanks for letting us know!

Last edited:

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
My 15ml bottles of Tartar Leather, Sea Wood, and Oakmoss arrived today. These are the first from Abdes Salaam for me. Tartar Leather had leaked a little in shipping and I got it on my hands when unboxing... quickly transferred any of the wetness to the back of my left hand. I'm still swooning. Wow. It started herbal woody (like a classic masculine) and within 30 minutes has transitioned into something that reminds me of an old school pencil sharpener's shavings (that are ancient), mixed with the graphite. There's definitely a touch of leather in there, but it's hanging back so far. I'm impressed. Really excited to try the others... another rabbit hole.

hoschhti

Nov 9, 2011
A few weeks ago I received a small bottle of the new (yet unreleased) perfume. Here's my review of Heart of Naples:

The scent opens with a sharp and cool lemon accompanied by a smoke-note that I can only describe as "mineral" or "stony". Definitely no wood smoke or incense. There is also something salty in the background, could be ambergris but I'm not sure about that. This stage is very strong and surprisingly persistent. After a while the lemon and the smoke soften and are joined by hemp with its hay-like smell. That's the moment when the scent becomes much warmer, but you have to like hemp because it's quite prominent. The base is rather faint with a miniscule dose of what I think could be sandalwood and maybe a tad of cocoa(?). Actually the perfume has a distinct development that is true to the official description (see post #602). The only thing that escaped my nose are the amaretti. During winter my nose is not in the best condition because of heating, so maybe that's why I couldn't detect them. Anyway I think that "Heart of Naples" is much more suitable for spring and summer, not so much for autumn and winter. Longevity is so-so as it's almost always the case with natural perfumes. I applied a few spritzes to my beard and in the first two hours the scent is mighty. The development from top to base takes exactly the two hours and then the scent becomes much quieter but lingers for a few more hours. By the way I love the pale green colour of the liquid.
Though I must admit that I'm pretty neutral about this scent. I don't dislike it but I wasn't wowed by it either. The very first word that came to my mind during my very first wearing was "eccentric". It can be a bit jarring and although Profumo told me otherwise I don't think it's to everybody's liking. Call me crazy but for some weird and unexplainable reason I get an O'Driù-vibe from "Heart of Naples"!

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
A few weeks ago I received a small bottle of the new (yet unreleased) perfume. Here's my review of Heart of Naples:

The scent opens with a sharp and cool lemon accompanied by a smoke-note that I can only describe as "mineral" or "stony". Definitely no wood smoke or incense. There is also something salty in the background, could be ambergris but I'm not sure about that. This stage is very strong and surprisingly persistent. After a while the lemon and the smoke soften and are joined by hemp with its hay-like smell. That's the moment when the scent becomes much warmer, but you have to like hemp because it's quite prominent. The base is rather faint with a miniscule dose of what I think could be sandalwood and maybe a tad of cocoa(?). Actually the perfume has a distinct development that is true to the official description (see post #602). The only thing that escaped my nose are the amaretti. During winter my nose is not in the best condition because of heating, so maybe that's why I couldn't detect them. Anyway I think that "Heart of Naples" is much more suitable for spring and summer, not so much for autumn and winter. Longevity is so-so as it's almost always the case with natural perfumes. I applied a few spritzes to my beard and in the first two hours the scent is mighty. The development from top to base takes exactly the two hours and then the scent becomes much quieter but lingers for a few more hours. By the way I love the pale green colour of the liquid.
Though I must admit that I'm pretty neutral about this scent. I don't dislike it but I wasn't wowed by it either. The very first word that came to my mind during my very first wearing was "eccentric". It can be a bit jarring and although Profumo told me otherwise I don't think it's to everybody's liking. Call me crazy but for some weird and unexplainable reason I get an O'Driù-vibe from "Heart of Naples"!

Thank you for sharing your impressions. It certainly sounds like something I might enjoy.

Hcat

Feb 3, 2021
Hi everyone. This is my first post on Basenotes, and it's been a long time coming! I've been a reader/researcher on these pages for close to ten years now, but only recently have made an account, and now finally mustered up the guts to write something...

I know this is a very old thread, but I felt it was the most suitable place for me to make my introduction, as Profumo's work has taken my perfume obsession to new heights (or is it depths?).
I don't know if I can say much more that hasn't already been said, on the many reviews and discussions of sample passes etc. And I have to say the confidence with which you seasoned reviewers pick apart notes and ingredients is quite intimidating! But I told Profumo I would make a post, and feel I should stick to my word (though I'm sure he's not too fussed either way!). I don't really know anyone IRL with whom I can get nerdy about perfume, and this community seems like a place that understands the 'power' (for want of a better word) that a really great fragrance can have over you. Hopefully my words can bring something new to the discussion :)

I'll dip my toe in by first stating my absolute loves from this house, some which seem to be pretty universally adored, and others which aren't so much:

Tabac - one of the most colourful, complex, intoxicating and multifaceted perfume journeys ever - to the basenoter above who said this should only be worn by a woman if she is also leather-bound in stilettos, I disagree! Tabac to me has too complicated a beauty to be categorised as masc/fem.

Rose des Bois - now this one I will state as a fem fragrance categorically! This is to me what I wish Amouage Lyric Woman was. The rose here is like plunging my face into a heavy, nodding old-fashioned, garden-grown rose, petals just a breeze's touch away from falling. It's jammy, deep red, and sweet but not in a cloying way. I don't get the cinnamon rush that other seem to be overwhelmed by, I get rose, rose and more rose, with the other players acting as support. Warm, juicy, creamy over time, and then finally so very cosy and romantic.

Cuoio dei Dolci - this one oozes sensuality to me. Delicious without a doubt, but there is something so sexy in there too, and while it may be the castoreum, I think it is not about it alone, but about the way it plays off the other notes. Other compositions which are castoreum-heavy don't have this effect on me haha. Weirdly, there is something here that reminds me of SL's Tubereuse Criminelle - and as far as I can see there are no shared notes! But dei Dolci wins by a long shot, only partly because it doesn't give me a headache.

Cuoio Tartaro - a work of art, put simply. I don't know by what wizardry Profumo does it, but I feel like I am surrounded by delicately perfumed leather - by that I mean leather with its own distinctive smell, that has also absorbed the beautiful fragrance of a wearer. It evolves so very beautifully, and morphs so frequently that I can't stop smelling myself whenever I wear it - I want to eat it sometimes. I went through a whole 5.5ml sample quickly, ordered another, and then instantly regretted and decided I needed a full bottle.

Aalacho no.1 - just beautiful. Much has already been said about this, but despite all the descriptions I was so surprised by what I personally smelled in my sample. There was much mention of greenness, but I don't really get any of that apart from the very brackeny opening. For/on me it quickly becomes quite warm, with some almost creamy note, and all in all makes me feel peaceful, meditative, and like being still. I am the very lucky owner of a mini bottle thanks to Profumo's great generosity.

Fiore di Lago - all I can see/feel/smell is gold. Warm, slightly sweet, liquid gold. Fresh and slightly tangy on the opening, then it melts down to gold. Sunlight, and warmth. Love it.

Other very honourable mentions that I really love but am not at the FBW obsessed point with yet:
Hindu Kush
Fior della Notte
Oak Moss

Sharif - this sample just arrived today and holy moly!
Grezzo d'eleganza - is that the Milano Caffe accord I smell? I looove this
Amber Chocolate

I have more to try still, and I have literally bought samples of nearly everything in the house!!
But there are a few that I was so disappointed to find did not agree with me, especially due to their widespread popularity, and this is one of the exciting and fascinating things about fragrance for me - how unique everyone's experience of it is! The weird ones for me were:

Palermo Don Corleone - gosh how I wanted to smell everything all the other reviewers were describing!! It sounded like everything I love, but no. All I get is my older sister's sweat when she has had one too many coffees. Not kidding, I get a similar note in my sweat when very stressed or caffeinated. On top of that, a savoury note that eluded me for an hour until I suddenly realised - brined green olives! I am perservering with it, because I am stubborn, so we'll see...

Aqua Santa
- First off, I was so disappointed in my experience of this vs what others described! My nose was hit by very sharp, sour citrus, which dominated the whole wearing for me, for the first two wears. But on the third, suddenly I was picking up hints of incense, rose...I wonder if the maceration that occurs from the first opening of the sample is enough to make this much difference, or if it's my nose? I can't believe the change in my perception from one wear to the next!

Sensemilla - nope. Something in the interaction between the cacao and the greenness of the hemp makes me start to feel nauseous. And what's weird is I love hemp butter, 'hemp' cookies (ha), the smell of the leaf itself. But not in this sadly.

Mecca Balsam/Gringo/Chillum
- these all have a similar problem for me, and it would be interesting to see if they have a shared ingredient or accord that is doing it. I feel I may be sensitive to ginger essential oil, as I love it but after a while, I start to feel sick and get a violent urge to get away from it... This is what happens with these three, they are simply mesmerising to begin with, Mecca and Gringo especially fascinate and beckon me to go deeper, and deeper, and then suddenly I am running away in the opposite direction, queasy. Such a shame (for me) :(

Ok, I just scrolled up and saw the wall of text!! Yikes, I hope that's not too much. I'll leave it there, and I hope to be able to nerd out some more soon, with anyone who is interested. I truly love perfume, and Profumo's work has only one main downside for me, and that is that it has more or less ruined synth/isolate-heavy perfumes for me. But more on that another time and/or place. :)

Hello, my name is Hcat and thanks for reading if you got this far!

DonBos

Jul 21, 2016
Welcome Hcat, and thanks for sharing your thoughts! Cuoio Dei Dolci is an absolute stunner for me, as well as Milanno Cafe. Palermo Don Corleone is also one that I love, but I got a good laugh from your description! Unfortunately, associations like that are a reality which is another reason why its all so subjective.

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
Hi everyone. This is my first post on Basenotes, and it's been a long time coming! I've been a reader/researcher on these pages for close to ten years now, but only recently have made an account, and now finally mustered up the guts to write something...

I know this is a very old thread, but I felt it was the most suitable place for me to make my introduction, as Profumo's work has taken my perfume obsession to new heights (or is it depths?).
I don't know if I can say much more that hasn't already been said, on the many reviews and discussions of sample passes etc. And I have to say the confidence with which you seasoned reviewers pick apart notes and ingredients is quite intimidating! But I told Profumo I would make a post, and feel I should stick to my word (though I'm sure he's not too fussed either way!). I don't really know anyone IRL with whom I can get nerdy about perfume, and this community seems like a place that understands the 'power' (for want of a better word) that a really great fragrance can have over you. Hopefully my words can bring something new to the discussion :)

I'll dip my toe in by first stating my absolute loves from this house, some which seem to be pretty universally adored, and others which aren't so much:

Tabac - one of the most colourful, complex, intoxicating and multifaceted perfume journeys ever - to the basenoter above who said this should only be worn by a woman if she is also leather-bound in stilettos, I disagree! Tabac to me has too complicated a beauty to be categorised as masc/fem.

Rose des Bois - now this one I will state as a fem fragrance categorically! This is to me what I wish Amouage Lyric Woman was. The rose here is like plunging my face into a heavy, nodding old-fashioned, garden-grown rose, petals just a breeze's touch away from falling. It's jammy, deep red, and sweet but not in a cloying way. I don't get the cinnamon rush that other seem to be overwhelmed by, I get rose, rose and more rose, with the other players acting as support. Warm, juicy, creamy over time, and then finally so very cosy and romantic.

Cuoio dei Dolci - this one oozes sensuality to me. Delicious without a doubt, but there is something so sexy in there too, and while it may be the castoreum, I think it is not about it alone, but about the way it plays off the other notes. Other compositions which are castoreum-heavy don't have this effect on me haha. Weirdly, there is something here that reminds me of SL's Tubereuse Criminelle - and as far as I can see there are no shared notes! But dei Dolci wins by a long shot, only partly because it doesn't give me a headache.

Cuoio Tartaro - a work of art, put simply. I don't know by what wizardry Profumo does it, but I feel like I am surrounded by delicately perfumed leather - by that I mean leather with its own distinctive smell, that has also absorbed the beautiful fragrance of a wearer. It evolves so very beautifully, and morphs so frequently that I can't stop smelling myself whenever I wear it - I want to eat it sometimes. I went through a whole 5.5ml sample quickly, ordered another, and then instantly regretted and decided I needed a full bottle.

Aalacho no.1 - just beautiful. Much has already been said about this, but despite all the descriptions I was so surprised by what I personally smelled in my sample. There was much mention of greenness, but I don't really get any of that apart from the very brackeny opening. For/on me it quickly becomes quite warm, with some almost creamy note, and all in all makes me feel peaceful, meditative, and like being still. I am the very lucky owner of a mini bottle thanks to Profumo's great generosity.

Fiore di Lago - all I can see/feel/smell is gold. Warm, slightly sweet, liquid gold. Fresh and slightly tangy on the opening, then it melts down to gold. Sunlight, and warmth. Love it.

Other very honourable mentions that I really love but am not at the FBW obsessed point with yet:
Hindu Kush
Fior della Notte
Oak Moss

Sharif - this sample just arrived today and holy moly!
Grezzo d'eleganza - is that the Milano Caffe accord I smell? I looove this
Amber Chocolate

I have more to try still, and I have literally bought samples of nearly everything in the house!!
But there are a few that I was so disappointed to find did not agree with me, especially due to their widespread popularity, and this is one of the exciting and fascinating things about fragrance for me - how unique everyone's experience of it is! The weird ones for me were:

Palermo Don Corleone - gosh how I wanted to smell everything all the other reviewers were describing!! It sounded like everything I love, but no. All I get is my older sister's sweat when she has had one too many coffees. Not kidding, I get a similar note in my sweat when very stressed or caffeinated. On top of that, a savoury note that eluded me for an hour until I suddenly realised - brined green olives! I am perservering with it, because I am stubborn, so we'll see...

Aqua Santa
- First off, I was so disappointed in my experience of this vs what others described! My nose was hit by very sharp, sour citrus, which dominated the whole wearing for me, for the first two wears. But on the third, suddenly I was picking up hints of incense, rose...I wonder if the maceration that occurs from the first opening of the sample is enough to make this much difference, or if it's my nose? I can't believe the change in my perception from one wear to the next!

Sensemilla - nope. Something in the interaction between the cacao and the greenness of the hemp makes me start to feel nauseous. And what's weird is I love hemp butter, 'hemp' cookies (ha), the smell of the leaf itself. But not in this sadly.

Mecca Balsam/Gringo/Chillum
- these all have a similar problem for me, and it would be interesting to see if they have a shared ingredient or accord that is doing it. I feel I may be sensitive to ginger essential oil, as I love it but after a while, I start to feel sick and get a violent urge to get away from it... This is what happens with these three, they are simply mesmerising to begin with, Mecca and Gringo especially fascinate and beckon me to go deeper, and deeper, and then suddenly I am running away in the opposite direction, queasy. Such a shame (for me) :(

Ok, I just scrolled up and saw the wall of text!! Yikes, I hope that's not too much. I'll leave it there, and I hope to be able to nerd out some more soon, with anyone who is interested. I truly love perfume, and Profumo's work has only one main downside for me, and that is that it has more or less ruined synth/isolate-heavy perfumes for me. But more on that another time and/or place. :)

Hello, my name is Hcat and thanks for reading if you got this far!

Thanks for sharing, Hcat, and welcome!

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
I also did not know about this book. This is weird. I also dont know the author.

I think it might be the same Leonard Payne who was somewhat recently active in the DIY forum here. His username is leonardpayne if you want to search it and shoot him a PM. He seemed like a cheery fellow. Self-described upon introduction as “the man in the bow tie”, which is probably why the name rung a bell.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I think it might be the same Leonard Payne who was somewhat recently active in the DIY forum here. His username is leonardpayne if you want to search it and shoot him a PM. He seemed like a cheery fellow. Self-described upon introduction as “the man in the bow tie”, which is probably why the name rung a bell.

I thought that name sounded famliar:

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/439927-The-Man-in-a-Bow-Tie

It looks like he's been active here as recently as two weeks ago.

Profumo

Jun 26, 2006
It looks like it was self-published via a printing service (https://www.lulu.com/), so that might give you some idea of what kind of editing/legal vetting has happened.
I like pirates out of line.
From my side he can stay fully reassured. Even if he speaks bad of me I do not care much. Good lesson for the ego. From what I red in the teaser on Amazon he rather overpraises and dos not check very well his facts. He gives me 5 stars with Luca Turin which I never got.

I always say:
Some people speak good of me and some people speak ill of me.
They speak good of me because they don't know me. If they knew me they would speak bad of me.
they speak ill of me because they don't know me, if they knew me they would speak more ill of me.

Profumo

Jun 26, 2006
That’s why I bought it, but you might want to wait until I (or, better, the perfumer) weigh in. I don’t think it’s going to fly off the shelves in the meantime.
If it is well written and not embarassingly overpraising I shall recommend it to all my fans, friends and customers.

PStoller, it was nice of you to buy the book. it is an expensive one. 60 USD. I promise to you and to all those who buy the book to add 60 USD bonus of scent to their next order. You choose yourself what you want for the bonus.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
If it is well written and not embarassingly overpraising I shall recommend it to all my fans, friends and customers.

PStoller, it was nice of you to buy the book. it is an expensive one. 60 USD. I promise to you and to all those who buy the book to add 60 USD bonus of scent to their next order. You choose yourself what you want for the bonus.
That’s exceedingly generous of you. I’ll think about how best to apply it while waiting for the book to arrive!

Hcat

Feb 3, 2021
From my side he can stay fully reassured. Even if he speaks bad of me I do not care much. Good lesson for the ego. From what I red in the teaser on Amazon he rather overpraises and dos not check very well his facts. He gives me 5 stars with Luca Turin which I never got.

I always say:
They speak good of me because they don't know me. If they knew me they would speak bad of me.
they speak ill of me because they don't know me, if they knew me they would speak more ill of me.

Haha Profumo, this made me laugh. It sounds very Eastern European in its cynicism (I am Romanian-Russian - I speak from experience).

Thank you for the welcoming words Hoschti, LinePlaneVolume and DonBos!

And how crazy, to find someone has written a book about you without your even knowing. It is a little bit odd that he didn't get in touch, even to research the thing!

By the way, I am working hard to re-jig my associations with Don Corleone, and we are making progress :)

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Here goes:

Perfumes: The World of AbdesSalaam purports on its exterior to be an original book about AbdesSalaam's life and work. The truth of it is laid bare in the introduction, which I present to you here in full, complete with errors of grammar and punctuation:

Leonard Payne said:
I was delighted to come across these articles by AbdesSalaam Attar and the anonymous "Kafkaesque". Originally published in digital form they are now at least 7 years or older. There is however, a major problems with digital life.

Firstly, pages have a habit of disappearing and when tracing a particular article through varied pages, one often comes up with the dreaded "404 error"—can't find the page.

Secondly, politics seems to take centre stage and you wake up one morning to find that the author/artist you have been looking at, is suddenly defined as an "unperson". (see George Orwell's '1984').

Albert Einstein famously said "If I am right, they will call me a German. If I am wrong, they will call me a Jew". Historically we have seen people 'airbrushed' out of history (See history of Marxism). In my own time, the author Garrison Keillor who for many years created a radio show called "The Prairie Home Companion" had the entire corpus of his show, removed from the radio station site, owing to some alleged sexual misdemeanor. I make no judgement on that but simply point out that all that art, and it was art, disappeared.

Closer to home, the author J.K.Rowling, author of the Harry Potter franchise, finds herself in hot water as she speaks out on sex and gender issues, Her views are classical in terms of what constitutes 'woman'. Sadly her views are not considered 'politically correct' and she is well on her way to becoming an 'unperson'.

The point to be made is that important work has a tendency to disappear for all kinds of reasons often political. It seems that the only way to preserve is to get it into print. In that respect, I make this private printing and apologize to the original authors. The proceeds are likely to be small but I'm happy to share them with you.

Thank you for your incredible work

Leonard Payne

rev.leonard.payne@protonmail.com

There ends the original portion of the book. The rest of its 252 pages consists of text and images lifted from other writers and publishers, including but not limited to the aforementioned AbdesSalaam and Kafkaesque. Which is to say, the publishing and sale of this book is an act of copyright violation and fraud. The disclaimer in the introduction is as empty and dishonest a "justification" as that of any fumfering politician caught figuratively or literally with his pants down. Likewise the apology to the authors, as Rev. Payne had ample opportunity to contact them for permission in advance, and clearly chose not to take it.

AbdesSalaam himself says, "I like pirates out of line. From my side he can stay fully reassured." I respect this position, and the retroactive approval it confers upon Payne's "work." I'm not sure Kafkaesque, whose blog articles make up 190 pages (or roughly 75%) of this book, will take the same position. I'm fairly certain Jim Lewis and the New York Times, author and publisher of the included biography, will not, though they will likely refrain from legal action as not being cost-effective.

As I haven't AbdesSalaam's fondness for intellectual property pirates, I would implore readers of this thread to take their $60 directly to AbdesSalaam's site and spend it there, rather than rewarding Payne for his disingenuity. But of course, it's your call.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Here goes:

Perfumes: The World of AbdesSalaam purports on its exterior to be an original book about AbdesSalaam's life and work. The truth of it is laid bare in the introduction, which I present to you here in full, complete with errors of grammar and punctuation:

There ends the original portion of the book. The rest of its 252 pages consists of text and images lifted from other writers and publishers, including but not limited to the aforementioned AbdesSalaam and Kafkaesque. Which is to say, the publishing and sale of this book is an act of copyright violation and fraud. The disclaimer in the introduction is as empty and dishonest a "justification" as that of any fumfering politician caught figuratively or literally with his pants down. Likewise the apology to the authors, as Rev. Payne had ample opportunity to contact them for permission in advance, and clearly chose not to take it.

AbdesSalaam himself says, "I like pirates out of line. From my side he can stay fully reassured." I respect this position, and the retroactive approval it confers upon Payne's "work." I'm not sure Kafkaesque, whose blog articles make up 190 pages (or roughly 75%) of this book, will take the same position. I'm fairly certain Jim Lewis and the New York Times, author and publisher of the included biography, will not, though they will likely refrain from legal action as not being cost-effective.

As I haven't AbdesSalaam's fondness for intellectual property pirates, I would implore readers of this thread to take their $60 directly to AbdesSalaam's site and spend it there, rather than rewarding Payne for his disingenuity. But of course, it's your call.

Wow. That's some kind of chutzpah on Payne's part. You'd think he would have at least consulted an attorney before publishing all that.

Or maybe he did, and just ignored their advice.

Bbbut he has a bow tie!

SinnySit4Small.jpg

YIKES

I've been getting a lot of miles out of this tea-sipping reaction image lately. People in this community are getting really desperate for attention.

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
Wow. That's some kind of chutzpah on Payne's part. You'd think he would have at least consulted an attorney before publishing all that.

Or maybe he did, and just ignored their advice.

Notifying Amazon of all of the copyright infringement may just do the trick. They'll probably pull it. It seems more than anything, unfair to Kafka to swipe all of the hard work she puts into her reviews (without her knowledge or permission).

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020

I always say:

Your work speaks for itself. I look forward to experiencing more of it!

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
AbdesSalaam himself says, "I like pirates out of line. From my side he can stay fully reassured." I respect this position, and the retroactive approval it confers upon Payne's "work." I'm not sure Kafkaesque, whose blog articles make up 190 pages (or roughly 75%) of this book, will take the same position.
FYI: I informed Kafkaesque of the existence and composition of the book.

K does not take the same position as AbdesSalaam.

Profumo

Jun 26, 2006
Now that I know that the book is not written by the author but is just a plagia from my friend Kafkaeske, I cannot really promote it by giving 60 euros worth of perfume to buyers as I had promised.
Except to those who already have ordered it. Specially to Pstoller who saved us with his early warning.

Ashfaque

Jul 27, 2017
Here goes:

Thanks a lot for the update. I will not be buying his plagiarised work. Instead it will be used for some aromatics. He probably doesn't know that K used to be a lawyer. :D

Last edited:

Latest News