A simple, fast, cheap, and effective way, to PROTECT your old perfumes.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
Perhaps a silly question but I want to be 100% sure. Regarding light.... storing a fragrance in its cardboard box, the box the fragrance came in - that should be sufficient right? I don't -- for example -- have to store them in a dark cupboard if they are already stored in cardboard boxes (I keep mines in their boxes on a book shelf).
You are good if they are in their boxes. A lot of people store their fragrances in their boxes on top of a bureau or whatever, so they can have them out in the open where they can be seen and admired, but protected from light. A trick I remember one person doing, was they actually cut off the bottom of the box, so that its super easy to get at the bottle!

where do i buy the small caps in various diameters? what should i call them to search on google?
Also wondering this.

greenjean

Sep 29, 2010
not just for vintage, but what about decants for all? i have a huge decant collection and have been storing them in small, rubbermaid-type plastic containers according to note or house, then in a large cardboard box. what i would like to find is fairly large, shallow plastic containers that i can put in my frig. but i don't want scents fooling with my food! i do store out-of-season whole bottles in my frig and have had no problem with the food.

i'm gonna need a bigger frig. or a small bar frig dedicated to frags!

thanks in advance.

mielr

Aug 9, 2012
Perfume guru Michael Edwards stores his spray bottles upside down - claiming that it stops the sprayer seals from drying out and the bottle going off.
Some bottles are made with upside down sprayers (like Rochas Man), some can be easily stored upside down if they have a wide flat top, but most can't easily be stored upside down. However, while the bottle is more than half full, the same result can be achieved by laying the bottle on its side.
Regards,
Renato

That's interesting...similar to the way you are supposed to store bottles of wine, so that the corks don't dry out! I would be a bit worried about leakage, though. :undecided:

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
not just for vintage, but what about decants for all? i have a huge decant collection and have been storing them in small, rubbermaid-type plastic containers according to note or house, then in a large cardboard box. what i would like to find is fairly large, shallow plastic containers that i can put in my frig. but i don't want scents fooling with my food! i do store out-of-season whole bottles in my frig and have had no problem with the food.

i'm gonna need a bigger frig. or a small bar frig dedicated to frags!

thanks in advance.
Hmm. I hadn't though about this, but I happen to have a wine fridge with a bottom rack I'm not using for much because most of my wine bottles don't fit. That could be good for samples/decants.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
what i would like to find is fairly large, shallow plastic containers that i can put in my frig. but i don't want scents fooling with my food!

Plastic shoe boxes, available from the Container Store or any number of large retailers. Removable lids, so smells won't contaminate foods. I use them for any number of small goods stored in the pantry or fridge.

Latest News