A rounded male cocoa scent without screechiness...is there one?

ultravisitor

Nov 4, 2014
Akro Dark

375x500.51706.jpg

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Really? That's interesting because it totally wears as a soft, nutty chocolate on my skin.
The opening is boldly woody with animalic edges, and though it calms down quickly, the bitterness and fruitiness of the cacao remains well through the mid, which has a kind of liqueur-like intensity.

I don't get to a soft chocolate feeling until the late stages, when it gets creamy.

ultravisitor

Nov 4, 2014
The opening is boldly woody with animalic edges, and though it calms down quickly, the bitterness and fruitiness of the cacao remains well through the mid, which has a kind of liqueur-like intensity.

I don't get to a soft chocolate feeling until the late stages, when it gets creamy.
Ah yes, you're right about the opening and how it does calm down quickly. Also, I agree it's bold, but I'll also say that it's never really loud, which is very much a strength to me.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Ah yes, you're right about the opening and how it does calm down quickly. Also, I agree it's bold, but I'll also say that it's never really loud, which is very much a strength to me.
Agreed. No bombast. It has steady projection and terrific longevity, but is never in-your-face.

I can't say enough good about it.

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
Hi Chuck--

Yardley's 1770 is a very soft woody aromatic with vanilla and cocoa notes all underscored by a dry and masculine Patchouli. Really nice scent if you can find it.

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
When I think of cacao, I'm always reminded of L'Instant Extreme. As for the note in recent releases, I love it in the later stages of Amouage Boundless. The cacao really is noticeable on my skin.

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
L’Instant EdT: in agreement with all who posted this one. Love it.

Guerlain Cologne du 68 — I get cocoa, though cocoa is not listed as one of the 68 notes. Not worth the super high price it’s going for these days, if you’re buying it just for cocoa.

Axe Dark Temptation — cocoa, yes, and surprisingly good quality. Worth the $5 or so at your local drugstore. But I have a feeling that this is what you might be referring to as screechy cocoa. I can put up with a little screech at this low price. But it does have a decidedly teenage feel to it. I like it, but find it a little hard to wear.

Lynx Tobacco and Amber, aka Cacao & Amber — now this one really is worth the £5 or so at Boots. Love it. More subdued cocoa effect than Dark Temptation. Women I know like this one on me. I’m almost embarrassed by the low price drugstore cheapie image, but the scent is so nice it’s hard to argue with it.

Last edited:

MELBOURNE21

Sep 7, 2015
Chuck,

You would absolutely LOVE Rojas Amber Extrait ( don't be fooled by the name)

Best cocoa sent imo.

It's in his Heritage Collection now (available on website)

You won't regret it!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks for all the great suggestions! With Christmas expenses coming, I think my most economical path is getting the Guerlain brothers (LIDG and LIDGE).
Certainly can't go wrong there.
Good luck on LIDGE, they tend to carry a whopping premium these days - the black rim bottles.

Latest News